Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 12th August 2007, 23:46   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Posting the exact timings of Day 2 trip -

Start from Rushikonda Beach Resort at 7:02 am -
1. Reliance A1 Plaza - 8:10 am @86Km
Road quality was again quite good axcept at some stretches on the two waye lane between Vijayawda and Hyderabad..
Where are you put up in Hyderabad ? We have a mini meet planned for 15 Aug 07, hoe you will be there.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 23:50   #122
Team-BHP Support

sreenivas, razor I meant the highways. who talks about the city roads man. they are and will always remain pathetic. all municipality engineers know only one thing... and as long as their practice thrives we will get abysmal roads in cities; roads that develop craters all over them with the first rain. I saw that in kolkata recently and I see that everyday here in hyderabad as well. my drive to hi-tech city and back to secunderabad everyday takes me through banjara hills, jubilee hills etc.

but then here is something to think about. how come city roads wash away so easily and yet the highways through which the real heavy loads travel everyday look so much better? is it that the city roads take more battering because of the constant flow of traffic? or is it that the highway roads have better drainage (the open fields on both sides) than the city roads where water stands on the roads and seeps in slowly making the roads weak? or is it that the NHAI is simply much more efficient and corruption free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
Where are you put up in Hyderabad ? We have a mini meet planned for 15 Aug 07, hoe you will be there.
sreeni, he is staying in amrutha castle and he is joining us for the mini meet on 15th.

by the way, poor guy today went out to hyderabad central and places and got the taste of hyderabadi traffic. he has vowed not to take his vehicle to hydbd central the next time. as always its the two wheelers of hyderabad which got his goat i guess.

Last edited by Zappo : 12th August 2007 at 23:56.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 00:08   #123
BHPian

Default see you guys on 15 aug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
sreenivas, razor I meant the highways. who talks about the city roads man. they are and will always remain pathetic. all municipality engineers know only one thing... and as long as their practice thrives we will get abysmal roads in cities; roads that develop craters all over them with the first rain. I saw that in kolkata recently and I see that everyday here in hyderabad as well. my drive to hi-tech city and back to secunderabad everyday takes me through banjara hills, jubilee hills etc.
Then you know how it is on Road no 12 and some stretch after check post, it has got to be engineer/ contractor combo looting public money.

Quote:

but then here is something to think about. how come city roads wash away so easily and yet the highways through which the real heavy loads travel everyday look so much better? is it that the city roads take more battering because of the constant flow of traffic? or is it that the highway roads have better drainage (the open fields on both sides) than the city roads where water stands on the roads and seeps in slowly making the roads weak? or is it that the NHAI is simply much more efficient and corruption free?

sreeni, he is staying in amrutha castle and he is joining us for the mini meet on 15th.

by the way, poor guy today went out to hyderabad central and places and got the taste of hyderabadi traffic. he has vowed not to take his vehicle to hydbd central the next time. as always its the two wheelers of hyderabad which got his goat i guess.
One has got to be inhuman to drive in Hyderabad, a heart stroke is guaranteed otherwise. One of my friends from Bangalore wanted to drive in Hyderabad. I had warned him about traffic here, he mentioned Bangalore is worse and drove a couple of times. When I finally met him near H'bad central he was eager to get out and drive saying its way too stressful. He swore not to drive in Hyderabad and I drove him during rest of his stay. We are a different breed I guess.

Poor BP already has a taste of Biryani traffic

Last edited by sreenivass : 13th August 2007 at 00:09.
Old 13th August 2007, 00:10   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Some of my observation during the trip though I may be wrong in some cases -

1. Andhra Pradesh people are very polite and helpful
2. A.P people are fond of diesel cars - saw at least 50-60 diesel Ford Fiestas and 10 - 15 diesel Swifts between Vizag and Hyderabad.
3. A.P people love white cars. Most of the cars that I have seen till now are white. At one point I was feeling that I was in some sort of daze as almost everywhere I saw only white ford fiestas. It seems that Ford has started profiting due to A.P only .
4. A.P people are very rich - conclusion from the number of Octavias, Lauras, Mercs and BMWs seen in 2 days

Your observations are pretty close to the mark I must say.

1. Helpful they are. At least you can bank on them. And this is one small town advantage that hyderabad has still retained inspite of all its trappings. However average dyed-in-the-wool hyderabadi is nosey. you will find a pillion rider on a bike almost falling off peeking into your car. neighbour seeing a man going out of your house asking you point blank "kaaiku aaya thaa jee woh?"...

2. Aah... the diesel nirvana! I myself drive a diesel. And in the whole of south diesel is the word. Its much easier to sell off your diesel car here. So what you observed here is actually a common southern phenomenon.

3. Ummm... well white, maybe. Though I see a healthy mix of all other colors. But Ford Fiesta diesels are really really popular here. No doubts on that.

4. Rich part maybe true... and yes, there are lots of those you see around. Though the old timers say it has more to do with the unprecedented real estate boom. Most of them are builder types who are now crorepatis many times over and their choice cars are either the skodas and lauras or else the scorps and endeavours. they move between cities at least thrice in a week.

However the real test of it all is in the car density. In a presentation given by the then traffic top honcho in our offices we were told that hyderabad has one of the highest car densities in the country. And that can be seen in any average household here. At least one car in every house. In my small gully there are at least 10 cars when both sides of road included there are just 8 plots of which two are vacant. Many a houses here have 2 cars when the no. of adult members in the house is also just 2 or 3.
Old 13th August 2007, 00:17   #125
BHPian

Default one for commute

Quote:
Your observations are pretty close to the mark I must say.

However the real test of it all is in the car density. In a presentation given by the then traffic top honcho in our offices we were told that hyderabad has one of the highest car densities in the country. And that can be seen in any average household here. At least one car in every house. In my small gully there are at least 10 cars when both sides of road included there are just 8 plots of which two are vacant. Many a houses here have 2 cars when the no. of adult members in the house is also just 2 or 3.
I think the US style commuter car and safe car thing caught up here too. One car for family and one for daily commute (mileage vaali gaadi). I have seen a few of this kind in neighborhood and heard from friends too.
Old 13th August 2007, 00:23   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Poor BP already has a taste of Biryani traffic
To be very frank, my cousin had told me about the traffic in Hyd but I had blown him away saying that whoever has driven in Kolkata can handle any traffic. But I think what is bothering me so much is lack of knowledge of the roads. Once I am sure about the direction I can concentrate more on the traffic and it helps. And no offence to the bike lovers in this group (I too ride a bike), I think the two wheelers and three wheelers are at the root of all the nuisance. I have seen the same in Bhubaneshwar whre traffic is extremely chaotic due to the high number of two wheelers.
BlackPearl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 00:28   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think the US style commuter car and safe car thing caught up here too. One car for family and one for daily commute (mileage vaali gaadi). I have seen a few of this kind in neighborhood and heard from friends too.
I follow this in Kolkata - for daily needs we use wifey's Alto.. and for highway trips we use the Baleno. Otherwise taking the Baleno everyday to office becomes a headache.
Old 13th August 2007, 00:30   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
that and also the comparatively poor state of public transport here makes one think of a car pretty early. buses here are something you can not really get into. MMTS has just started getting popular and that too due to the hi-tech city crowd. otherwise you are left with just those fleecing autowalahs and the costly call cabs. personal car looks like a much better alternative here.

comparatively when i look at my parents who have settled down in kolkata they just won't fall for a car no matter what i say. my father says that he does not need a botheration of maintaining a car when he can take a train, metro, bus (in different flavors) or taxi and even trams in kolkata proper. even getting a private car (kolkata's equivalent of the taxicabs here from operators like premier, naaz and the like) costs as little as 250 bucks for a 4 hour-40 kms booking. they do have a point.
Old 13th August 2007, 00:36   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
that and also the comparatively poor state of public transport here makes one think of a car pretty early. buses here are something you can not really get into. MMTS has just started getting popular and that too due to the hi-tech city crowd. otherwise you are left with just those fleecing autowalahs and the costly call cabs. personal car looks like a much better alternative here.

comparatively when i look at my parents who have settled down in kolkata they just won't fall for a car no matter what i say. my father says that he does not need a botheration of maintaining a car when he can take a train, metro, bus (in different flavors) or taxi and even trams in kolkata proper. even getting a private car (kolkata's equivalent of the taxicabs here from operators like premier, naaz and the like) costs as little as 250 bucks for a 4 hour-40 kms booking. they do have a point.
what you have said is absolutely true, Kolkata IMO has one of the best transport facilities in India. But these comercial vehicles make life very hard for those who try to maintain their cars
Old 13th August 2007, 16:48   #130
Senior - BHPian

@ BP - what happened to the rest of the pics? take care buddy!
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 16:58   #131
Team-BHP Support

BP is at Ramoji Studio now... If he stays till it wraps up that will be around 5-5.30pm So he should be back in his room after 8pm. I think we can expect some photo uploads tonight.
Old 14th August 2007, 01:22   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All of the above, and more.
I am sure there is corruption in the NHAI too, as there is in every government-run organization in the country. It's sad, but that is the truth.
However, there are some vital differences between a national highway construction and a city road construction:
1. Funds - corruption aside, this is a major factor. Let's face it - the centre has more funds than a municipality.
2. Availability of skilled labour and resources - the workers building the NH's are trained, have access to modern machinery, and are supervised. Compare this to the rag-tag army that forms our cities' patch-up crews, with no training, minimal supervision and outadated (often non-existent) machines.
A knowledgeable builder would ensure that the proper slope/drainage is maintained, the mixture of materials is in the right ratio, proper qualty control is followed etc etc.
3. Traffic - the sheer density of traffic on city roads puts an enormous burden on them. Have a few buses go over a poorly constructed road that has seen some rain - voila - instant potholes! NH's see more "heavy" traffic (read: trucks mainly), but the ratio of traffic density to road surface area is less.
4. Visibility & accountability - The success and failure of a NH's construction receives much more publicity than their city road cousins. Construction companies cannot afford to be so lax when the country is watching them.

There are more reasons. Just too sleepy to think now
Is there a thread where such a discussion is taking place/has taken place?

@BP: sorry to hijack your thread dude. don't let the hyd 2-wheelers get you down!
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 01:20   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
@BP: sorry to hijack your thread dude. don't let the hyd 2-wheelers get you down!
I have parked the car in the hotel and roaming about in autos
Old 16th August 2007, 01:26   #134
Team-BHP Support

Sometimes thats far better here than taking the pain.
So how was the Barbeque Nation? Was it crowded?

Last edited by Zappo : 16th August 2007 at 01:37.
Old 16th August 2007, 01:32   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So how was the Barbeque Nation? Was it crowded?
I cannot express in writing how good it was.. will call you up tomorrow to tell you about the experience. The entire concept and food were awesome. First GunSMoke and then Barbeque Nation - oh man you rule..

Last edited by Zappo : 16th August 2007 at 01:38.