Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 17th July 2011, 23:44   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Travel in monsoon Delhi-Nainital/Kausani?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Planning a weekend trip to Ranikhet in the middle of August. I am new to these parts. I would like to know the following:
  1. GoogleMap shows one route that goes via Moradabad, Kaladhungi and Nainital and is about 350km. What are the route options after Moradabad? And how do they compare with the above route in terms of road surface, scenic beauty etc? In particular, is there any route that goes right through the Corbett Park?
  2. Is a 11:30/12 (night) start from Delhi safe? Idea is to hit the mountains early in the morning. Are the roads till Moradabad dual carriageway?
  3. Good stay options in Ranikhet, say, in the range 1500-3000 per night.
Thanks in advance.
Hi akp,

1. Discussed in very detail on these threads:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...te-info-3.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2244609 (Red Baron :Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay:24 Dec 2010 - 6 Jan 2011, 3877 kms of fun)

Issigonis Log Sheet:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...r-ranikhet.xls

2. If it's UP then PLEASE AVOID NIGHT DRIVING. Other option can be to leave your home by 4:30 - 5:00 AM and reach Ranikhet by noon.

3. Please check this:
Holm Farm Heritage discussed on this travelogue:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ns-meadow.html (Ranikhet - The Queen's meadow)

Please check Rosemount and Ranikhet Club at Ranikhet here:

Ranikhet Hotel,Hotel Ranikhet,Hotel in Ranikhet,Ranikhet Hotels,Ranikhet Hotels and Resorts,Resort in Ranikhet

Other options can be surrounding KMVN properties.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 17th July 2011 at 23:45.
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 11:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Its raining heavily in hills so beware of landslides and the resulting jams.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 15:36   #18
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Hi akp,

1. Discussed in very detail on these threads:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...te-info-3.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2244609 (Red Baron :Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay:24 Dec 2010 - 6 Jan 2011, 3877 kms of fun)

Issigonis Log Sheet:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...r-ranikhet.xls

2. If it's UP then PLEASE AVOID NIGHT DRIVING. Other option can be to leave your home by 4:30 - 5:00 AM and reach Ranikhet by noon.

3. Please check this:
Holm Farm Heritage discussed on this travelogue:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ns-meadow.html (Ranikhet - The Queen's meadow)

Please check Rosemount and Ranikhet Club at Ranikhet here:

Ranikhet Hotel,Hotel Ranikhet,Hotel in Ranikhet,Ranikhet Hotels,Ranikhet Hotels and Resorts,Resort in Ranikhet

Other options can be surrounding KMVN properties.

Cheers!
Irish

Thanks, Irish, for all these useful links. What I have to find next is the state of those roads after the rains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Its raining heavily in hills so beware of landslides and the resulting jams.
Its still almost a month away - I hope things stabilize by then. If there is no landslide (read if I am not in the wrong place at the wrong time), rain in the mountains is something I find immensely attractive.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 16:12   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

My tuppence - driving through the night is okay - except through the completely forested areas (Kaladungi/Corbett). Driving through the night on the Kathgodam route is absolutely fine. I did it last April - no issues (both the Haridwar circuit and the kathgodam one) You still have jams even that late at night at Gajraula!!

Stay on any road with active truck traffic and you're safe.

If you have to go in a month, ask about the road surface the weekend prior. With rains, its always a bit unpredictable on the damage rains can cause!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 17:57   #20
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
My tuppence - driving through the night is okay - except through the completely forested areas (Kaladungi/Corbett). Driving through the night on the Kathgodam route is absolutely fine. I did it last April - no issues (both the Haridwar circuit and the kathgodam one) You still have jams even that late at night at Gajraula!!

Stay on any road with active truck traffic and you're safe.
Thanks, phamilyman. Exactly the kind of encouragement I need. I guess if we start around midnight, by the time we reach Ramnagar (assuming we go via Ramnagar), it should be early morning. The reason I am exploring a midnight start is, that way we can take more breaks once we are in the forest/mountain areas and still comfortably reach before lunchtime.

The other question related to night driving is: Is NH 24 till Moradabad a dual carriageway? Not very keen on driving on a single carriageway in the night with trucks and buses coming at us from the opposite with their headlights on.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 23:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Planning a weekend trip to Ranikhet in the middle of August. I am new to these parts. I would like to know the following:[list=1][*]GoogleMap shows one route that goes via Moradabad, Kaladhungi and Nainital and is about 350km. What are the route options after Moradabad? And how do they compare with the above route in terms of road surface, scenic beauty etc? In particular, is there any route that goes right through the Corbett Park?
Prefer the route via Kashipur & Ramnagar to Kaladhungi & Nainital/ Ranikhet.

The direct road to Ranikhet runs through Corbett Park, is mostly good.

The road from Kathagodam onwards via Bhowali to Ranikhet has already cracked up and has some bad sections.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 09:08   #22
BHPian

Default update regarding road condition

Just finished a road trip to Nainital from Kanpur. Here is the update regarding road condition.

Kanpur - Lucknow : 4 lane Excellent road
Lucknow - Sitapur : 4 lane excellent road
Sitapur - Shahjahanpur - 2 lane , 4 laning in progress - motorable road but ridden with diversions and haphazard traffic
Shahjahanpur-Bareilly - 2 lane , 4 laning in progress - motorable road but ridden with diversions and haphazard traffic
Bareilly-Lalkuan - Bad road, gradually disappears to a state where there is no road for 15 odd kms. Road is being widened and trees are being mercilessly felled. The fallen trees block the roads for hours till they are axed ruthlessly.
Lalkuan-Kathgoadam - very nice 2 lane road but heavy traffic
Kathgoadam - Nainital-Raniket-almora - very nice 2 lane hill road with very scenic views
punkuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 00:08   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Haldwani-Kausani-Nainital

What would be the best route to do Haldwani-Kausani-Nainital?
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote