Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 4th April 2016, 10:22   #166
BHPian

Default Re: Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi

i plan to drive from Mumbai to Kerala-Perinthalmanna end of this month. I will be driving alone. I have some work at Mangalore, so i plan to go via Mangalore. If i start around 4.30 a.m. from Mumbai is it realistically possible to each Mangalore by around 7 p.m.. Since i am travelling alone i need only take quick breaks.

Also which will be the best route to take till Mangalore and how are the road conditions
Mohan Mathew A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017, 20:51   #167
Lij
BHPian

I will be travelling from Mumbai to Kerala in May. Onward journey will be on NH48 (old NH4) through Bangalore in 2 days and return I am planning to do it on NH66 (old NH17) in 3 days.

Onward journey will start early morning around 4:30 or 5 am and I am planning to break for the night at Davangere or Chitradurga depending on the progress.
If I start again early next day from Davangere/Chitradurga at around 4:30 - 5 am, can I reach Cochin airport by 7:30 pm?

On the return leg I will be driving from North Paravur/ or Irinjalakuda to Managlore on Day 1 with an early lunch break at Paragon, Kozhikode . Next day I am planning Mangalore to Kudal, with lunch break at Swetha lunch home in Karwar. And 3rd day is planned to complete from Karwar to Mumbai.

For the return leg -
1. Is the above a feasible itinerary?
2. Suggested petrol bunks and places with clean restrooms.
2. Good hotels near the highway for accomodation, I have planned for Ginger in Managlore and hotel LemonGrass in Kudal.
3. Any good restaurants on NH17 from Kudal to Mumbai for lunch break? How is hotel Abhishek in Chiplun?
4. And where to pick up Alphonso mangoes
Lij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 14:37   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
I will be travelling from Mumbai to Kerala in May. Onward journey will be on NH48 (old NH4) through Bangalore in 2 days and return I am planning to do it on NH66 (old NH17) in 3 days.

Onward journey will start early morning around 4:30 or 5 am and I am planning to break for the night at Davangere or Chitradurga depending on the progress.
If I start again early next day from Davangere/Chitradurga at around 4:30 - 5 am, can I reach Cochin airport by 7:30 pm?

On the return leg I will be driving from North Paravur/ or Irinjalakuda to Managlore on Day 1 with an early lunch break at Paragon, Kozhikode . Next day I am planning Mangalore to Kudal, with lunch break at Swetha lunch home in Karwar. And 3rd day is planned to complete from Karwar to Mumbai.

For the return leg -
1. Is the above a feasible itinerary?
2. Suggested petrol bunks and places with clean restrooms.
2. Good hotels near the highway for accomodation, I have planned for Ginger in Managlore and hotel LemonGrass in Kudal.
3. Any good restaurants on NH17 from Kudal to Mumbai for lunch break? How is hotel Abhishek in Chiplun?
4. And where to pick up Alphonso mangoes
If you are travelling alone or only with adults (i mean not with kids) it is possible to do the trip in 2 days. I have done it with a break at chitradurga. If you start from chitradurga at 4 or you should be able to reach Kochi airport by 7.30 p.m. provided you don't take more than 90 minutes as total break. It might be a little tight considering you will be traversing Kerala in the evening peak hours.

If possible i would say push till Bangalore and then the second day will be lot more comfortable.

On the return leg it is possible to do Mangalore-Mumbai in a single day (again if no kids are with you)-around 13-14 hours of driving with total 90 minutes of break (i have done it) but you i didn't take NH-66 al the way. I joined NH4 at Huballi and then took NH4 from there
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 14:51   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
with lunch break at Swetha lunch home in Karwar.
Why not Hotel Amrut at Karwar? Hope you are not a vegetarian
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 15:46   #170
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
If you are travelling alone or only with adults (i mean not with kids) it is possible to do the trip in 2 days. I have done it with a break at chitradurga. If you start from chitradurga at 4 or you should be able to reach Kochi airport by 7.30 p.m. provided you don't take more than 90 minutes as total break. It might be a little tight considering you will be traversing Kerala in the evening peak hours.

If possible i would say push till Bangalore and then the second day will be lot more comfortable.

On the return leg it is possible to do Mangalore-Mumbai in a single day (again if no kids are with you)-around 13-14 hours of driving with total 90 minutes of break (i have done it) but you i didn't take NH-66 al the way. I joined NH4 at Huballi and then took NH4 from there
Thanks Mohan, no kids, only wife and me will be travelling by road. So Chitradurga/Davagere to Cochin Airport will be a hectic drive if I need to reach by 7:30pm. Then I'll try to stretch first day till atleast Tumkur.

Do I need to pre-book any accommodation or usually will it be available?
Any recommendations in Tumkur apart from Naveen Regency?

Also I don't intend to drive after sunset, so will I make it to Tumkur if not Bangalore atleast by 7pm with 3-4 breaks?

Is the below timings possible?
Depart Mumbai - 4:30 am
Pune ByPass - 6:30 am
Kolhapur - 10:30 am
Hubli - 2 pm
Chitradurga - 4:30 pm
Tumkur - 7 pm

I think it'll take atleast 2 hours from Tumkur to reach Electronics City.

On the return I plan to stick to NH66 all the way and then join the Mum-Pune expressway at Khalapur toll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Why not Hotel Amrut at Karwar? Hope you are not a vegetarian
Not a vegetarian and don't go by the "lunch home" name, many lunch homes in Mumbai are sea-food specialties.
Chose Swetha lunch home mainly because of all the reviews out there. Although the restaurant is not that great in ambiance but the food is one of the best in Karwar and the kitchen, from what I have read, is all women and very clean and hygienic. Also read that the owners have their meals from here and don't cook separately at home.
Lij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 15:51   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Not a vegetarian and don't go by the "lunch home" name, many lunch homes in Mumbai are sea-food specialties.
Chose Swetha lunch home mainly because of all the reviews out there. Although the restaurant is not that great in ambiance but the food is one of the best in Karwar and the kitchen, from what I have read, is all women and very clean and hygienic. Also read that the owners have their meals from here and don't cook separately at home.
Ok. Yes Shwetha Lunch Home is a great place. Just that I liked the clams and crabs at Amrut
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 16:08   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is the below timings possible?
Depart Mumbai - 4:30 am
Pune ByPass - 6:30 am
Kolhapur - 10:30 am
Hubli - 2 pm
Chitradurga - 4:30 pm
Tumkur - 7 pm
This is realistic and possible except that Hubli - Chitradurga will take 3 hours for sure and Chitradurga - Tumkur which is 130 kms will take an hour and a half. It means you can still be at Tumkur either by 7 or a little earlier with all your breaks and steady speeds of 100 KMPH.

Quote:
I think it'll take atleast 2 hours from Tumkur to reach Electronics City.
Your real pain will not be anywhere around Bangalore. You may only get little bit of hectic traffic while passing Tumkur during evening hours between 1800-1900. That said, the rest of the drive till you enter NICE Road is going to be an easy one.

- Tumkur Bypass (Khyatasandra) to NICE : 45 Minutes Including 2 tolls
- NICE Entry to NICE Exit (EC) : 30 Minutes

From here, if you intend to drive to Hosur, it wont take more than 30 minutes and one toll (Fast one at Attibele).

With all said and done, if you are crossing Tumkur between 1800-1830, you can as well try to settle down at Hosur as the drive won't be time consuming or tiring as you will he driving in the opposite direction to that of usual Bangalore traffic.

2H45M to 3 Hours will be the total time needed to reach Hosur from Tumkur during this time. So plan accordingly.
paragsachania is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:15   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
from Tumkur during this time. So plan accordingly.
Hi Parag,do you have a list posted somewhere of the "bearable" staying places between Pune and Tumkur on the highway,if there's no list-your suggestions please ? whenever you find time
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote