Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2013, 08:47   #61
BHPian
 
bbhavan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cochin
Posts: 172
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is it not possible to start earlier for Mumbai? If that is possible then you can push till Belgaum/Hubli on Day 1. Then on second day, it become much easier to drive to Mysore.
I know, but we cannot leave Mumbai earlier than 1pm, due to some commitments here.

Thanks
bbhavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 22:29   #62
BHPian
 
EagleEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 378
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Note the diversion from Palakkad to Thrissur bypass by ottaplam/shornur
Any specific reason for taking this road and not the direct route from Palakkad to Thrissur?
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 22:53   #63
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,590
Thanked: 8,561 Times
Default Re: Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
Any specific reason for taking this road and not the direct route from Palakkad to Thrissur?
That section of GQ is quite broken and hence not worth taking. So workaround is go via Ottapalam-Shoranur-Wadakkancherry-Trichur.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 15:28   #64
BHPian
 
acsandeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -
Posts: 121
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi

Dear BHPians, i am planning a trip to Kerala (Kannur) from Pune near end of May. Please suggest the best route considering:
  • Car is brand new
  • I am not an experienced driver and hence would avoid night drives
  • will like to break the journey somewhere before Mangalore (If possible)
  • please suggest return trip as well, i would like to leave at early morning from kerala.

Thanks a lot for your support.

Last edited by acsandeep : 11th May 2013 at 15:29. Reason: Grammer mistakes
acsandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 23:04   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsandeep View Post
Dear BHPians, i am planning a trip to Kerala (Kannur) from Pune near end of May. Please suggest the best route considering:
  • Car is brand new
  • I am not an experienced driver and hence would avoid night drives
  • will like to break the journey somewhere before Mangalore (If possible)
  • please suggest return trip as well, i would like to leave at early morning from kerala.

Thanks a lot for your support.
Route is as follows:

PUne-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Kumta-Honavar-Bhatkal-Baindur-Kundapura-Udupi-Mangalore-Kasargod-Payyanur-Kannur

Roads are good, except for road widening between KUndapura & Udupi & south of Mangalore till KL border.

Lots of hotels en route, if you pace yourselves well, you can be in Udupi in <14 hours.

Lots of hotels en route, you can walk into any depending on how far you progress on that day. All on the highway NH17 itself (unless indicated otherwise)
Kumta - Pandurang International, easy drive <9 hrs
Honavar - Hotel Kamat
Murudeshwar - RNS (1 km inside)
Kundapura - HOtel Sharon
Udupi - Hotel Kediyoor (1 km inside), Sharad International (on highway)
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 09:45   #66
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,590
Thanked: 8,561 Times
Default Re: Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsandeep View Post
Thanks a lot for your support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Route is as follows:

PUne-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Kumta-Honavar-Bhatkal-Baindur-Kundapura-Udupi-Mangalore-Kasargod-Payyanur-Kannur

And if you are not happy with coastal and twisting ghats, try the 4-lane and interior 2-lane option.

- Pune-Hiriyur (NH4)
- Hiriyur-Huliyar-Nagamangala-Mysore (2-lane) Can take break at Mysore
- Mysore-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Siddapur-Ammathi-Virajpet-Irrity-Kannur
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 10:22   #67
BHPian
 
acsandeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -
Posts: 121
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
And if you are not happy with coastal and twisting ghats, try the 4-lane and interior 2-lane option.

- Pune-Hiriyur (NH4)
- Hiriyur-Huliyar-Nagamangala-Mysore (2-lane) Can take break at Mysore
- Mysore-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Siddapur-Ammathi-Virajpet-Irrity-Kannur
Thanks ampere, i may consider this alternate route for my return journey. This trip will be my first solo long drive and i want to make the most of it.
acsandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 10:54   #68
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,590
Thanked: 8,561 Times
Default Re: Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsandeep View Post
Thanks ampere, i may consider this alternate route for my return journey. This trip will be my first solo long drive and i want to make the most of it.
Then on the way back, you can chose to break at Hubli. Thats about 650km from Kannur.

The best place in town is Clarks Inn.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 16:58   #69
BHPian
 
bbhavan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cochin
Posts: 172
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi

Thanks all for your help in suggesting me the best route to Cochin from Mumbai last month, especially to HVK sir, Ranjithp and ampere.

We left Mumbai April 21 Sunday 1.00pm and reached Kolhapur at 8.30 pm. Stayed at Opal Hotel as per the advice of HVK sir, and it was excellent.

Left Kolhapur at 7Am after having darshan at Devi Temple.

NH4 is an absolutely perfect road and we reached Hiriyur at about 1pm. Took the Hiriyur - Huliyar road to Mysore and reached at 6.30pm.

The above road is two laned, there are many towns in between, but the traffic was not heavy.
Only negative aspect is the presence of many speed breakers.

Left Mysore the next day at 3pm, ( along the Mysore -Ootty road ) after having a short trip in and around Mysore.

We stayed at Guddalore at a relative's house and from there left for Cochin the next day afternoon to reach Cochin by late evening, on the 4th Day after leaving from Mumbai.

Now before returning to Mumbai, we are planning to have a South- Eastern Tamil Nadu Trip , targeting mainly the religious places, the famous temples of Tamil Nadu.

I am planning to visit Rameswaram, Tiruchendoor, Madurai, Srirangam,Thanjavur,Chidambaram.

The issue is that I am having only 4 days and 3 nights maximum for the above.

Will I be able to cover this without doing night driving?

I will be starting from Kottayam, and plan to go to Rameswaram via Tiruchendoor.

Next day, to Trichy and stay there.

Third day to Chidambaram via Thanjavur and then go to Madurai and stay at Madurai.

4th day , return.

Is the above workable? Will it be too hectic? How can I improve it? Or should I omit Chidambaram from the list?

Expecting your valuable comments,
bbhavan
bbhavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 17:48   #70
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,590
Thanked: 8,561 Times
Default Re: Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
I am planning to visit Rameswaram, Tiruchendoor, Madurai, Srirangam,Thanjavur,Chidambaram.

The issue is that I am having only 4 days and 3 nights maximum for the above.
A bit hectic I would say. You can easily do Rameshwaram, Madurai and Trichy, because all are in one belt. But Chidambaram would be difficult.
I would say omit it.

Quote:
I will be starting from Kottayam, and plan to go to Rameswaram via Tiruchendoor.

Next day, to Trichy and stay there.
Third day to Chidambaram via Thanjavur and then go to Madurai and stay at Madurai.4th day , return. Is the above workable? Will it be too hectic? How can I improve it? Or should I omit Chidambaram from the list?
You said it. I would say the same. Omit Chidambaram.

D1 : Start early make sure you are able to visit Tiruchendur before the temple closes. I doubt it would be easy. Because its about 250+ from Kottayam.

If you miss it, all I can say is drive to Rameshwaram. And that is another 200km. You will reach only by evening. Try to get a Darshan.
Night at Rameshwaram

D2:
Get a very early darshan and goto Dhanushkodi. Arrange a jeep. You should be done with Rameshwarm by afternoon and drive to Madurai. Thats about 180km. You should be there by evening. Try a Darshan.
Night at Madurai


D3
Get early darshan and you should be by done by 10AM. Drive to Trichy.
You should be there in 2 hours. Now you have the evening time to visit Srirangam and Malakottai.
Night at Trichy

D4:
You can either drive back from Trichy towards Bangalore or drive to Tanjore visit the temple early morning and start driving back to Bangalore. You should be in Bangalore by evening.
Night at Bangalore.

D5: Start very early from Bangalore and by evening you should be in Pune.

Last edited by ampere : 20th May 2013 at 18:13.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 19:19   #71
BHPian
 
bbhavan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cochin
Posts: 172
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
A bit hectic I would say. You can easily do Rameshwaram, Madurai and Trichy, because all are in one belt. But Chidambaram would be difficult.
I would say omit it.
You said it. I would say the same. Omit Chidambaram.
A very painful decision.

Quote:
D1 : Start early make sure you are able to visit Tiruchendur before the temple closes. I doubt it would be easy. Because its about 250+ from Kottayam.

If you miss it, all I can say is drive to Rameshwaram. And that is another 200km. You will reach only by evening. Try to get a Darshan.
Night at Rameshwaram.
In that case, is it better to skip Tiruchendoor also and head straight to Rameswaram?


Quote:
You can either drive back from Trichy towards Bangalore or drive to Tanjore visit the temple early morning and start driving back to Bangalore. You should be in Bangalore by evening.
Night at Bangalore.
Oh! No!, We are not returning directly to Mumbai. We have to first get back to Kottayam and then only will leave after 2 days.

Sorry, for not clarifying this earlier.

So we have to miss out Tiruchendoor and Chidambaram from the list.
Now it seems OK?
bbhavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 19:54   #72
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,590
Thanked: 8,561 Times
Default Re: Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
So we have to miss out Tiruchendoor and Chidambaram from the list.
Now it seems OK?
In that case the best routing is :

Kottayam-Rameshwaram-Tanjore-Trichy-Madurai-Kottayam

Night1 : Stay Rameshwaram
Day 2 : See Rameshwaram and drive to Tanjore.
Night 2 : Stay at Tanjore You would barely reach Tanjore if you start from Rameshwaram at noon. Its about 240km via ECR/Adirampatnam

Day3 : You get up early on D3 visit the big temple, drive to Trichy visit the temples and drive to Madurai. 4 lane roads all along
Night 3 : Stay Madurai:
Day 4 Visit the temple at Madurai and drive to Kottayam

Last edited by ampere : 20th May 2013 at 19:55.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 20:33   #73
BHPian
 
bbhavan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cochin
Posts: 172
Thanked: 78 Times
Default

Yes.that seem to be good plan.
I have a relative'place at Trichy,so we may stay there for the second night. Don't think that will affect much.
We have to go to Thanjore and then go to Madurai in the 3rd day and reach there before evening.

I am with my aged parents and 4 kids with two ladies. So strong a team.
bbhavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 21:19   #74
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,590
Thanked: 8,561 Times
Default Re: Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
We have to go to Thanjore and then go to Madurai in the 3rd day and reach there before evening.
If thats case then for Rameshwaram-Trichy dont take the road via Karaikudi-Pudukottai.

But take the following:

Rameshwaram-Ramnad-Paramakudi-Ilyangudi-Sivagangai-Melur-Trichy.
From Melur its 4-lane.

Last day would be a bit hectic. Trichy-Tanjore should be about 40-50 minutes.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 21:52   #75
BHPian
 
bbhavan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cochin
Posts: 172
Thanked: 78 Times
Default

Why do yo suggest sivaganga melur road? It is almost near to Madurai.
The road through karaikkudi is in bad shape?
Google map shows this route.

Also any idea about the road condition between punaloor and thirunelveli? Are there any difficult ghat sections?
bbhavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kochi - Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries MilesAndSmiles Route / Travel Queries 41 10th November 2015 16:16
Speedway Kochi: A Go Karting Race track @ Kochi arjuunz Indian Motorsport 16 4th August 2014 03:43
Kochi - Gavi - Kodaikanal - Kochi jas_mirage Route / Travel Queries 10 27th September 2011 00:03
Five Days - Kochi - Kalpeta - Kodaikanal - Valparai - Kochi NutsNBolts Travelogues 28 6th June 2010 16:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks