Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 11th December 2008, 13:45   #541
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Never knew that BA does time travel as well

Regards,
That's why the fare was so good. If you want tips as to which shares recover by Nov 09....

Hmmm.... I mean 07 and 08 of course. <Blush>
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 16:20   #542
Senior - BHPian

DNA - India - Kingfisher flight runs out of fuel midair, almost
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 18:12   #543
Senior - BHPian

Man, that is scary! Thank God nothing bad happened.
safari_lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 17:09   #544
BHPian

New cost cutting measures by Jet Airways ..
Delhi - Kolkata ( evenign 6 PM flight ).. Seems Jet airways has taken cost cutting measures to the extreme via quantity of food served. Was served a 3-3 inch teeny weeny slice of pizza and a teeny weeny pastry slice. Meal was over in 2 mins flat.. lol.
sk456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 00:49   #545
BHPian

I am scheduled to travel next month from Boise to Bangalore. Need your inputs to choose which airlines.

Boise is close to the west coast of USA, so i typically have to fly to Seattle, SFO, or LAX. I have flown Singapore many times over this route and it is really good. The only thing is, it takes about 35 hours.

Any idea how is United Airlines (I saw one route that took just 24 hours).

How is British airways in this route? Also, has Jet airways started the SFO - Bangalore route? I would like to avoid getting into Mumbai and then to Bangalore if possible.

I also have a lot of baggage and might have 2 extra bags with me. So, excess baggage charges is also an important factor.
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:33   #546
Senior - BHPian

United Airlines should be pretty good, have heard good reviews on them.

Jet airways have discontinued their flights to SFO from 13-Jan

Just check out Cathay Pacific as well, they now fly HKG - BLR direct on Dragon Air (their subsidiary airlines).
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:34   #547
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
New cost cutting measures by Jet Airways ..
Delhi - Kolkata ( evenign 6 PM flight ).. Seems Jet airways has taken cost cutting measures to the extreme via quantity of food served. Was served a 3-3 inch teeny weeny slice of pizza and a teeny weeny pastry slice. Meal was over in 2 mins flat.. lol.
thats not much but i wouldnt expect a full meal on a 6 PM flight.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:38   #548
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Any idea how is United Airlines (I saw one route that took just 24 hours).

How is British airways in this route? Also, has Jet airways started the SFO - Bangalore route? I would like to avoid getting into Mumbai and then to Bangalore if possible.

I also have a lot of baggage and might have 2 extra bags with me. So, excess baggage charges is also an important factor.
American airlines suck...... forget about service

BA - for all my problems that I had in Terminal 5 etc, BA as a flight is not so bad as the planes have decent leg room.Ensure you have a 3-4 hour stop over as this will give enough time for the bags to get forwarded else they will arrive later.

Jet - this flight goes to mumbai. It is good but being discontinued. You spend an hour imprisoned in Shanghai. Time in mumbai is minimal. clear customs and check in again 10 metres away then take the bus to domestic terminal.

Suggest you explore the unaccompanied baggage option - a lot cheaper. Put your personal clothing and worthless used items in them so less duty
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 21:05   #549
BHPian

I am coming to Mumbai in Feb first week from New York. I am carrying a USB turntable with me valued $104. I have all the receipts and invoices for the same. Technically, this is less than the allowable limit (amount) that one can bring from outside to India.

Still, are there any special documents I need to carry for customs clearance?

Mods, please move if this is not appropriate thread.
abhijitaparadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 23:14   #550
Team-BHP Support

Cathay and Singapore airlines both offer great service and allow slight overweight without fuss. Have not flown anybody else to west coast so can't comment on UA/AA and stuff, but in general american carriers are not supposed to be very good
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 08:22   #551
Senior - BHPian

After several news poping up about the reduced fares for domestic airlines, here is my stance.

I booked 3 Adult tickets to Chennai from Bangalore in Paramount Airways. It costed me Rs.7305 including tax.

The same day the fare for IC was Rs.600. I was curious and checked to by that ticket. But the total cost came out to be Rs.7567. How? Yes, the rest are all under the heading Tax + Fuel surchage etc.

Not just this, the ticket in IC was a economy class. The class I booked in Paramount was Business class. The base fare in Paramount is 2000+ and tax for 3 adults came to total of 1200+.

So, in other words, if the base fare is less, then Airlines put the other amount (it claims to be deducted) in the Fuel surcharge and tax.

This is what I have seen offlate.

Note: I used cleartrip for both the transaction.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 03:10   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
After several news poping up about the reduced fares for domestic airlines, here is my stance.

I booked 3 Adult tickets to Chennai from Bangalore in Paramount Airways. It costed me Rs.7305 including tax.

The same day the fare for IC was Rs.600. I was curious and checked to by that ticket. But the total cost came out to be Rs.7567. How? Yes, the rest are all under the heading Tax + Fuel surchage etc.

Not just this, the ticket in IC was a economy class. The class I booked in Paramount was Business class. The base fare in Paramount is 2000+ and tax for 3 adults came to total of 1200+.

So, in other words, if the base fare is less, then Airlines put the other amount (it claims to be deducted) in the Fuel surcharge and tax.

This is what I have seen offlate.

Note: I used cleartrip for both the transaction.
Your right, I too have noticed that recently. If taxes and fuel surcharge on a route are same for the same make of airplane but different carrier, how come it differs by the carrier.

Ex: I checked for Kingfisher on a mumbai route: the taxes showed Rs. 1250, but when I checked the same thing on Indigo, the taxes showed Rs. 1175. Both were checked on their own respective websites.

Cant understand indian flight taxes and surcharges like always
CorsaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 10:30   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
American airlines suck...... forget about service

Suggest you explore the unaccompanied baggage option - a lot cheaper. Put your personal clothing and worthless used items in them so less duty
Booked in Singapore Airlines. The duration including wait time is really long compared to United and BA.

United was very expensive for excess baggage and British was turning out to be expensive on the tickets. Singapore was good on the fare and on excess baggage but takes a lot longer - but i guess i will manage that.

EDIT: Unaccompanied baggage option too was turning to be quite expensive - and also unnecessary hassle of getting it cleared it through customs etc.

Last edited by deep_bang : 31st January 2009 at 10:31.
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 12:08   #554
Team-BHP Support

Does anyone have contact details for Meru / Yellow cab for an International airport transfer in Bombay?

I was thinking of trying this service instead of calling up Cyrus each time for a taxi.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 22:25   #555
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Terminal 5 operates a fully automatic bag-losing system.
Yeah and this time they did it. They can't trace suitcases and its been around 40 hours. They moved me into a Virgin Atlantic flight since all flights were canceled owing to heavy snowfall. My baggage hasn't made it yet. I just hope they don't lose it. Delay can still be dealt with but a loss is irreparable. I had lots of gifts in those suitcases. :(
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote