Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 15:06   #1531
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,598 Times
Default

I think we should figure out a good CBE-Palakkad by-pass.
Is this route via Pollachi worth it instead of NH47? (Avinashi/Pollachi/Alathur).

No change to the distance. How are the road conditions? Avinashi/Pollachi I know is godo.
What about the rest? One can then join NH47 beyond Palakkad.

State Highway 166/SH 166 to National Highway 47 - Google Maps

Last edited by ampere : 23rd August 2010 at 15:07.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 17:39   #1532
BHPian
 
sbkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 350
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think we should figure out a good CBE-Palakkad by-pass.
Is this route via Pollachi worth it instead of NH47? (Avinashi/Pollachi/Alathur).

No change to the distance. How are the road conditions? Avinashi/Pollachi I know is godo.
What about the rest? One can then join NH47 beyond Palakkad.

State Highway 166/SH 166 to National Highway 47 - Google Maps
The state of roads beyond palakkad is worse than those between cbe-palakkad. Its better if we can avoid as much NH-47 as possible. I think we can join to NH-47 at Vadakkanshery too. I had taken this route about 4 months back - Vadakkanshery to Pollachi. Though the road was a narrow two lane, there was hardly any traffic and so it was quite a relaxed drive when compared to the chaos on NH47. Not sure about the current conditions after the rains.

On a related note, the 4-laning work has started on the singampuli-karumathampatti stretch, we can expect some delays due to this on Nh47 between avinashi and cbe soon.
sbkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 17:47   #1533
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,598 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
The state of roads beyond palakkad is worse than those between cbe-palakkad. Its better if we can avoid as much NH-47 as possible. I think we can join to NH-47 at Vadakkanshery too. I had taken this route about 4 months back - Vadakkanshery to Pollachi. Though the road was a narrow two lane, there was hardly any traffic and so it was quite a relaxed drive when compared to the chaos on NH47. Not sure about the current conditions after the rains.

On a related note, the 4-laning work has started on the singampuli-karumathampatti stretch, we can expect some delays due to this on Nh47 between avinashi and cbe soon.
So you mean the SH between Pollachi and Vadakkanshery is a good one!
If that is the case, this seems like a perfect by-passing of the 4L mess.

Then the only concerns remaining are options for food/toilets etc.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 19:32   #1534
BHPian
 
ananth_iy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 244
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

We made a trip as planned from CBE-Aluva over the weekend. Route taken CBE-Pollachi-Valparai-Vazhachal-Chalakudy-Aluva.

The road was fantastic until the Tamil Nadu border and beyond that ... the less said the better. The scenery was fantastic until the Tamil Nadu border and beyond that ... the less said the better. It could have been great if only someone took some interest to maintain the place.

All in all, I will go again the same route but only until Valparai and Sholayar Dam - never beyond.
ananth_iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 19:42   #1535
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,598 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
We made a trip as planned from CBE-Aluva over the weekend. Route taken CBE-Pollachi-Valparai-Vazhachal-Chalakudy-Aluva.

The road was fantastic until the Tamil Nadu border and beyond that ... the less said the better. The scenery was fantastic until the Tamil Nadu border and beyond that ... the less said the better. It could have been great if only someone took some interest to maintain the place.

All in all, I will go again the same route but only until Valparai and Sholayar Dam - never beyond.
Ananth,

What I meant was, if some one is coming down NH7 and as is wanting to go to Trichur or further down south,
will the Avinashi/Pollachi/Vadakkanshery be a good solution to by-pass the 4-Laning work on NH47?

Avinashi-CBE-Palakkad stretch are real bad according to most updates.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 21:47   #1536
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,616
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Ananth,

What I meant was, if some one is coming down NH7 and as is wanting to go to Trichur or further down south,
will the Avinashi/Pollachi/Vadakkanshery be a good solution to by-pass the 4-Laning work on NH47?

Avinashi-CBE-Palakkad stretch are real bad according to most updates.
I wouldnt reccomend the Pollachi-Vadakkencherry route as a bypass for the NH47.It is better to stick to NH47.Vadakkencherry to Chittilancherry to Nenmara is not all that great,at times it is good,but most of the times its bad,moreover you would never be able to do the speeds that you do on the NH if you take this road.Take this road only if you are coming from Pollachi,else stick to the NH.

OT:Just as a matter of interest,this route passes through the famous(in)Shashi Tharoor's place(Chittilanchery/Elevancheri)
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 23:20   #1537
BHPian
 
jeevmenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: TN07
Posts: 466
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
We made a trip as planned from CBE-Aluva over the weekend. Route taken CBE-Pollachi-Valparai-Vazhachal-Chalakudy-Aluva.

The road was fantastic until the Tamil Nadu border and beyond that ... the less said the better. The scenery was fantastic until the Tamil Nadu border and beyond that ... the less said the better. It could have been great if only someone took some interest to maintain the place.

All in all, I will go again the same route but only until Valparai and Sholayar Dam - never beyond.
I beg to differ. I drove at 2 am from Chalakudy to the NH and it was the best road I have seen in my life. I agree that the NH is 4L and fly-overs are coming up on the NH from Thrissur to Palakkad and in monsoon it can get worse but then the amount of s/w monsoon that Kerala gets is a bit more and with it the greenery, so if you want to enjoy God's own country to its fullest one needs to take the rain-fed roads as well. "Maintain the place"? One does not and should not maintain forests. Its better left alone and wild.
jeevmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 07:25   #1538
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,598 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I wouldnt reccomend the Pollachi-Vadakkencherry route as a bypass for the NH47.It is better to stick to NH47.Vadakkencherry to Chittilancherry to Nenmara is not all that great,at times it is good,but most of the times its bad,moreover you would never be able to do the speeds that you do on the NH if you take this road.Take this road only if you are coming from Pollachi,else stick to the NH.

OT:Just as a matter of interest,this route passes through the famous(in)Shashi Tharoor's place(Chittilanchery/Elevancheri)
Thanks Ranjit, I have no idea about this route. Just wanted to know more.
So you are saying NH47 is still better compared to the state roads.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 09:43   #1539
BHPian
 
sbkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 350
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I wouldnt reccomend the Pollachi-Vadakkencherry route as a bypass for the NH47.It is better to stick to NH47.Vadakkencherry to Chittilancherry to Nenmara is not all that great,at times it is good,but most of the times its bad,moreover you would never be able to do the speeds that you do on the NH if you take this road.Take this road only if you are coming from Pollachi,else stick to the NH.

OT:Just as a matter of interest,this route passes through the famous(in)Shashi Tharoor's place(Chittilanchery/Elevancheri)
Ranjit,

Thanks for the update. I think what you said was true for the pre-monsoon Nh47. I took this route day before yesterday and it was plain mess. Someone else too posted around the same timings of around 2.5Hrs between Thrissur and Cbe(start of byepass) for the 110 km stretch with some aggressive driving. You have to tackle a lot of pot holes and do a lot of over taking on this. I was not sure of the vadakkenchery roads and hence didn't take it.
Have you driven on these roads recently?
sbkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 09:46   #1540
BHPian
 
joecherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 548
Thanked: 78 Times
Default

Drove back from Cochin to Bangalore yesterday (through NH47/NH7). The roads between TCR and PGT has improved a lot.Started from Edappally at 9 and we were at Palghat at 11.Kuthiran ghats seems to have improved with the patch work. The ride is still bumpy but then you don't need to crawl. Only doubt is , how long does the patchwork last.
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 10:28   #1541
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,598 Times
Default

Has NHAI any realistic estimated dates for completion of 4L on NH47?
Am I asking too much ?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 10:34   #1542
BHPian
 
joecherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 548
Thanked: 78 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Has NHAI any realistic estimated dates for completion of 4L on NH47?
Am I asking too much ?
Forget the 4 laning. I would be very happy if I can drive through the fly over at Chalakudy and Alwaye. How long does one take to construct a fly over ? Frustrating....
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 10:37   #1543
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default

Since i am not having any luck here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...via-salem.html

maybe i should post in this thread.

Guys, whats the best route to take from Bangalore to Kumarakom? And how long will it take?

TIA
Amitoj
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 11:04   #1544
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Since i am not having any luck here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...via-salem.html

maybe i should post in this thread.

Guys, whats the best route to take from Bangalore to Kumarakom? And how long will it take?

TIA
Amitoj
Nevermind. Some kind souls have replied on that thread.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 13:07   #1545
BHPian
 
sv1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 121
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Got a real taste of a Walayar jam during this Blr-Cochin Onam trip. It took us 1 hour 50 minutes to pass that 2km stretch on Saturday early morning. By the time we cleared it, palakkad-cochin traffic was at its peak and gave us the worst ever timing of 13 hours. I wish if those cops at Walayar check post had reported on duty couple of hours early that day.

Yesterday's Cochin-Blr was smooth. I think afternoon start works best in this route. This is the second time I started at 3.30pm from Palarivattom and could reach CV raman nagar at 12.50am. No blocks anywhere.
sv1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks