Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2010, 15:00   #1711
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,087
Thanked: 684 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Can you let me know how and where to take this road if I am coming from Cbe to thrissur?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
When you are coming on NH47 from Coimbatore, you will reach the point where you enter Palakkad town - left is the bypass and continuation of NH47 to Trissur.

Enter Palakkad town, and go through town towards the Kozhikode/Ottapalam road via Olavakkot. If I recall right, after entering town, you will come to a right turn to get onto the Olavakkot road without wading through the town.
NO NO NO. Taking right into the NH213 will take you to the Mannarkadroad. Instead, go straight through Palakkad - straight means ram-rod straight. This will be the Ottappalam road - I've mentioned this in an earlier post also

As you enter Palakkad after Kanjikkod, coming from Coimbatore
-first you have the Pollachi state highway coming and joining from the left
-second, the NH47 branches of towards the left to Trichur
-third, just after Chandranagar, NH213 branches of towards the right to Mannarkad/Perintalmanna/Kozhikkode(Calicut), through Olavakode
-Without turning anywhere, keep going straight beyond this, a road forks to the the left. This is the bus route to the city (Dont take this). Take the other straight road and go right through the town and voila!, the same road becomes the Palakkad-Ottappalam-Kulappully-Pattambi state highway
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 15:34   #1712
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 345 Times
Default

aargee, deepclutch, kumar sir - thank you very much for your replies. I will stick to NH7/NH47 route and veer off at Aluva to NH17 (Paravur).

Any idea how is the Athani - Paravur road? Seems to be shorter.
cool_dube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 17:45   #1713
BHPian
 
sbkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 344
Thanked: 82 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
NO NO NO. Taking right into the NH213 will take you to the Mannarkadroad. Instead, go straight through Palakkad - straight means ram-rod straight. This will be the Ottappalam road - I've mentioned this in an earlier post also

As you enter Palakkad after Kanjikkod, coming from Coimbatore
-first you have the Pollachi state highway coming and joining from the left
-second, the NH47 branches of towards the left to Trichur
-third, just after Chandranagar, NH213 branches of towards the right to Mannarkad/Perintalmanna/Kozhikkode(Calicut), through Olavakode
-Without turning anywhere, keep going straight beyond this, a road forks to the the left. This is the bus route to the city (Dont take this). Take the other straight road and go right through the town and voila!, the same road becomes the Palakkad-Ottappalam-Kulappully-Pattambi state highway
Thanks a lot. That was quite descriptive. Do you think its a good route even when NH47 is a decent state? How is the traffic on this route normally?
sbkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 22:44   #1714
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,087
Thanked: 684 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Thanks a lot. That was quite descriptive. Do you think its a good route even when NH47 is a decent state? How is the traffic on this route normally?
The route is a gem of a road till Kulappully junction, past Ottappalam(much much better than NH47) From kulappully you need to take a left towards Shorannur. I've not taken this road. It seems Rjstyles (or was it benbsb29?) had taken this road to Thrissur recently. Please check. There is road maintenance work going on beyond Kulappully till Pattambi - but that may not affect you if you are going towards Shorannur

Last edited by mallumowgli : 20th September 2010 at 22:55.
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:36   #1715
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 345 Times
Default Bangalore - Nilambur - Kochi

Just got an update from MudMover - he is on this route today. Bangalore-Nilambur stretch is fairly good with only issue being ongoing roadwork on the outskirts of Gudalur towards Nilambur. His drive time (excluding breaks) was 6 hrs. He will share updates on the onward stretch (Nilambur - Wandoor - Pandikkad - Pattikkad - Perinthalmanna - Pattambi - Shoranur - Thrissur - Kochi) later today.
cool_dube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 10:59   #1716
BHPian
 
TSEA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 214
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Need Help on Bang-Kerala routes

I am leaving for kalpetta (from Blore) tommorrow morning. The route that I have planned to take is:

Blore-Mandya-Mysore-Gundlupet(NH212)-Sultan-Bathery-Kalpetta.

1. Is this route good enough.
2. Can I avoid entering Mysore city (Bypass)
3. How much time does it generally takes (with adequate breaks)

From Kalpetta, I have to drive down to Kannur (after 3 days). Which route is the best to take (I might be driving in late afternoon) and how much time will it take.
TSEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 11:26   #1717
BHPian
 
ad75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 265
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
I am leaving for kalpetta (from Blore) tommorrow morning. The route that I have planned to take is:

Blore-Mandya-Mysore-Gundlupet(NH212)-Sultan-Bathery-Kalpetta.

1. Is this route good enough.
2. Can I avoid entering Mysore city (Bypass)
3. How much time does it generally takes (with adequate breaks)

From Kalpetta, I have to drive down to Kannur (after 3 days). Which route is the best to take (I might be driving in late afternoon) and how much time will it take.
1. the route is good barring mysore - nanjangud
2.you can take a left turn at the 1st sgnal while you are reaching mysore, its the by pass, but it still takes you through some parts of the city in the end.this will lead to nanjangud road
3. max 7hrs.(including breaks)

from kalpetta you can take mananthavadi - koothuparamba - kannur route
or thamarassery - koyilandi - thalassery - kannur route. both the routes travel time would be 3-4 hrs.
ad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 12:18   #1718
BHPian
 
TSEA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 214
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

Thanks for the quick response ad75
TSEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 12:26   #1719
Senior - BHPian
 
vasoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,031
Thanked: 207 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Just got an update from MudMover - he is on this route today. Bangalore-Nilambur stretch is fairly good with only issue being ongoing roadwork on the outskirts of Gudalur towards Nilambur. His drive time (excluding breaks) was 6 hrs. He will share updates on the onward stretch (Nilambur - Wandoor - Pandikkad - Pattikkad - Perinthalmanna - Pattambi - Shoranur - Thrissur - Kochi) later today.
Wandoor to Pattikad was in pathetic condition two weeks back. I dont see it changed soon. Bangalore till Wandoor was pretty smooth.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 13:29   #1720
BHPian
 
vrprabhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 844
Thanked: 329 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Has anyone done (or is planning to do) the Calicut - Cannanore - Kasargod - Mangalore route recently? If yes, please post an update
Update -

Traveled on this route : Coimbatore - Palghat - Calicut - Cannanore - Kasargod - Mangalore and on to Pune.

Road conditions -

Cbe - Palghat, not many bad patches. Surprisingly no traffic at Walayar either. Finished the trip in about three and a half hours.

Calicut - Mangalore is totally different story. Upto Mahe / Tellicherry it is broken patches mixed with good parts. But thereafter, it is a nightmare upto Cannanore. After, Cannanore it improves only to deteriorate completely from Kasargod onwards. One section between Kasargod to Ullal is more like motocross - I now understand how Sebastian Loeb feels when the 'flies' over the roads!!

There is no indication of any repair work underway, and at few places some of the bigger pot holes (craters) have been filled with rubble!

This 250 km took 8 hours - including an hours break for dinner. NH17 is a dream turned into nightmare... as the same story continues ahead of Mangalore upto Honnavar.
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 13:33   #1721
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 345 Times
Default Update from MudMover

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Wandoor to Pattikad was in pathetic condition two weeks back. I dont see it changed soon. Bangalore till Wandoor was pretty smooth.
Vasoo - For some reason, MM did not take the Pandikkad - Pattikkad route yesterday. Instead he did Nilambur - Manjeri - Malappuram - Kottakkal - Kuttipuram - Edappal - Thrissur. Per his feedback, this route is avoidable due to bad road surface (especially around Kuttipuram), narrow roads, and high traffic. His cousin did Bangalore - Salem - Covai - Thrissur in less than 7 hours!! So NH7/NH47 it is for me.
cool_dube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 13:54   #1722
Senior - BHPian
 
vasoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,031
Thanked: 207 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Vasoo - For some reason, MM did not take the Pandikkad - Pattikkad route yesterday. Instead he did Nilambur - Manjeri - Malappuram - Kottakkal - Kuttipuram - Edappal - Thrissur. Per his feedback, this route is avoidable due to bad road surface (especially around Kuttipuram), narrow roads, and high traffic. His cousin did Bangalore - Salem - Covai - Thrissur in less than 7 hours!! So NH7/NH47 it is for me.
I came back through NH47 after suffering bone-breaking journey from Wandoor. Took just 6 hours from Mannarkad to Bangalore. The other route took 10 hours.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 15:10   #1723
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 69
Thanked: 51 Times
Default

I travelled to Wayanad from Bangalore through mysore - HD kote - Kabini - Manathavady road. The road were good all through except for a 5 KM stretch in the Kabini Forest (Rajiv Gandhi wildlife Sanctuary). The Sanctuary gate was closed for traffic (11 in the morning) and the guard mentione it is closed 24/7 for road construction.Just before the Sanctuary check post ,I had to take a deviation into a village (average road), the roads takes a deviation into the forest again and the 5KM strecth is pure offroading . There are no roads and only a dirt/slush path in this stretch (Vehicles with low ground clearence will surely engrave the proof of its journey on these roads). 289 kms from Bangalore to Manthavady. I came back through Manthavady,Tholpetty wild life sanctuary, Kutha(a small town as soon as cross kerala Border) and then Nagarhole Wild life Sanctuary - Hunsur - Mysore - Bangalore. The roads are really good and I also got see a lot of wildlife.
decode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 17:48   #1724
BHPian
 
Twiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cochin-Bangalore
Posts: 299
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
1. the route is good barring mysore - nanjangud
2.you can take a left turn at the 1st sgnal while you are reaching mysore, its the by pass, but it still takes you through some parts of the city in the end.this will lead to nanjangud road
Should it be right at signal on the Outer Ring Road to bypass Mysore city, while going from Bangalore ?
Can I say ~10km additional if we take ORR@Mysore?
Twiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 21:06   #1725
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore & Doha
Posts: 28
Thanked: 3 Times
Default cochin to coorg road condition

freinds , Iam planning to drive from cochin to coorg next week via calicut - tellicherry. Can some one update on the present condition ?.
saamblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks