Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2010, 15:23   #2011
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But then as Raj mentioned, what is the protest all about?
Basically from news reports, due to the congested nature of the state and population, people are unwilling to give up land for widening.

So I guess now the widening is in fact happening between EKM and TCR. Is it being widened to 45 meters or 60 meters? This again was a bone of contention.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 15:41   #2012
BHPian
 
sbkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 344
Thanked: 82 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Basically from news reports, due to the congested nature of the state and population, people are unwilling to give up land for widening.

So I guess now the widening is in fact happening between EKM and TCR. Is it being widened to 45 meters or 60 meters? This again was a bone of contention.
IIRC it is 45 meters. The link below also says the same.

NH widening stalled by LDF govt?s conditions
sbkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 16:01   #2013
Senior - BHPian
 
longhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,150
Thanked: 282 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Widening is currently happening between Angamaly and Trichur(turn off to Ollur, 10 kms before Trichur). I believe it's been happening for the past two years or so. The widening has been completed at various places intermittently, so it like partially complete. The stretch between Angamaly and Chalakudy is worse than the rest of the stretch partly due to frequent deviations along this stretch and more so because the lanes have not been marked on this stretch wherever the tarring is complete.For lighting, you have to depend on solely your car's headlamps.Once this stretch is complete, there should be a good reduction in travel time between Trichur and Ernakulam. AFAIK, this is the most congested road in the entire state.

Last edited by longhorn : 21st December 2010 at 16:04.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 16:40   #2014
jp1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 286
Thanked: 44 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Munnar this weekend. Planning to take following route

Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Bhawani-Salem-Perandurai-Vijapuri-Tirrupur-Paladam-Udumalapettai-Chinnar-Marayoor-Munnar

Anyone has taken this route recently and how is the road conditions? I am aware that upto Salem, the roads are excellent. How about Salem to Munnar via the above route?
jp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 17:40   #2015
BHPian
 
sv1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 121
Thanked: 5 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
^^
Hopefully will give you an update tomorrow. I'm driving down to Cochin tonight.
Waiting for the latest updates. Would you recommend Palakkad-Thrissur via NH 47 or via Ottappalam?
sv1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 18:15   #2016
BHPian
 
unni.ak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 777
Thanked: 80 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1976 View Post
Waiting for the latest updates. Would you recommend Palakkad-Thrissur via NH 47 or via Ottappalam?
Had gone down to Kerala for a day last weekend and on the return journey, Sharma Volvo took the Plkd-Tsr route. It seems that a lot of patch work has been done. I think there were 2-3 places were it slowed down for potholes, but otherwise seemed driveable. Not at any fast pace though.

Oh, don't get carried away by the fact that I was in a Volvo. The suspension had passed its prime, so each pothole/patch made its presence felt!
unni.ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 18:20   #2017
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,085
Thanked: 583 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Munnar this weekend. Planning to take following route

Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Bhawani-Salem-Perandurai-Vijapuri-Tirrupur-Paladam-Udumalapettai-Chinnar-Marayoor-Munnar

Anyone has taken this route recently and how is the road conditions? I am aware that upto Salem, the roads are excellent. How about Salem to Munnar via the above route?
Any particular reason why you want to go via Tiruppur ? Passing Tiruppur town can slow you down quite a bit. The faster route to Udumalpettai is Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalpettai : Good roads and not very heavy traffic.
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 18:27   #2018
BHPian
 
lloydofcochin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 436
Thanked: 180 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1976 View Post
Waiting for the latest updates. Would you recommend Palakkad-Thrissur via NH 47 or via Ottappalam?
Palakkad-Thrissur is still in terrible shape even after the so called patch work. The upper crust of the road layer is gone in a lot of places and there are numerous sharp pot holes. While returning I will definitely opt for the Ottappalam route.

General update - Avinashi stretch is quite manageable even with a lot of minor diversions.
lloydofcochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 18:55   #2019
jp1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 286
Thanked: 44 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Any particular reason why you want to go via Tiruppur ? Passing Tiruppur town can slow you down quite a bit. The faster route to Udumalpettai is Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalpettai : Good roads and not very heavy traffic.
No particular reason, I just found this route while googling mentioning it is the easiest route. I would take the route suggested by you, Thank you. So from Perundurai I need to take deviation from NH to SH, hope I am right.
jp
jp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 20:36   #2020
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,085
Thanked: 583 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
No particular reason, I just found this route while googling mentioning it is the easiest route. I would take the route suggested by you, Thank you. So from Perundurai I need to take deviation from NH to SH, hope I am right.
Yes - you need to take a left turn from the NH to get on to the State Highway to Kangeyam. Make sure you ask locals for directions to the next major destination at Kangeyam as well as Dharapuram because there are multiple state / National highways crossing at these places and there's every possibility missing a signboard and taking a wrong road.
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 20:38   #2021
BHPian
 
raghu.t.k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 446
Thanked: 161 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

I plan to drive down to Trivandrum from Chennai with stop overs at Palakaad and near Kunnamkulam. The trip is not yet confirmed.

Could you suggest a good route from Kunnamkulam to TVM, and how is the current conditions of this route ? What would be the travelling time if i were to sedate speed in an SX4? Also any good hotels which is also economical?
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 21:56   #2022
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,349
Thanked: 8,162 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Munnar this weekend. Planning to take following route

Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Bhawani-Salem-Perandurai-Vijapuri-Tirrupur-Paladam-Udumalapettai-Chinnar-Marayoor-Munnar

Anyone has taken this route recently and how is the road conditions? I am aware that upto Salem, the roads are excellent. How about Salem to Munnar via the above route?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Any particular reason why you want to go via Tiruppur ? Passing Tiruppur town can slow you down quite a bit. The faster route to Udumalpettai is Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalpettai : Good roads and not very heavy traffic.

As Kala said, no need to go into Tiruppur. Go via Kangeyam, Dharapuram.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Yes - you need to take a left turn from the NH to get on to the State Highway to Kangeyam. Make sure you ask locals for directions to the next major destination at Kangeyam as well as Dharapuram because there are multiple state / National highways crossing at these places and there's every possibility missing a signboard and taking a wrong road.
This is a very tricky part and hence you need to be careful. NH47 by-passes Perindurai completely and hence before you know, you would Kms away from where you need to exit.

There is an exit for Perindurai town and you need to take that and drive for about 2-4 km to hit the town. Then as Kala said ask locals for Kangeyam road. Its also marked (but I guess in Tamil). There is a railway crossing above which an overbridge was being constructed, Not sure of its status today.


Be aware that Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalpet section, does not have any major toilet/hotels. Hence plan your breaks accordingly. You can get packed curd-rice. If you are a non-veg, I guess options are much more.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 22:26   #2023
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Could you suggest a good route from Kunnamkulam to TVM, and how is the current conditions of this route ? What would be the travelling time if i were to sedate speed in an SX4? Also any good hotels which is also economical?
I think NH47 option (Kunnamkulam-Thrissur-Ernakulam-Alappuzha-Kollam-TVM) would be the straightforward option though there are broken stretches now and then. The other option (SH1 or MC Road) (Kunnamkulam-Thrissur-Angamaly-Perumbavur-Muvattupuzha-Kottayam-Kottarakkara-TVM) has significant twists and curves but it has been relaid recently. You can search previous posts in this thread for the exact description of road condition.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 05:34   #2024
Senior - BHPian
 
hellstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I plan to drive down to Trivandrum from Chennai with stop overs at Palakaad and near Kunnamkulam. The trip is not yet confirmed.

Could you suggest a good route from Kunnamkulam to TVM, and how is the current conditions of this route ? What would be the travelling time if i were to sedate speed in an SX4? Also any good hotels which is also economical?

Unless you absolutley need to get to Palakkad and Kunnamkulam on your trip to TVM , i would suggest that you plan for these places on your return trip so that you can come down straight to TVM through Tamilnadu and on return you can cover PGT and KUNLM so that you can time your trip through the NH 47 in the non peak hours , the road becomes more or less congestion free after 1000 hrs in the the night to about 0800 in the morning. outside this time hell literally break loose on this road.
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 07:43   #2025
BHPian
 
raghu.t.k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 446
Thanked: 161 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
I think NH47 option (Kunnamkulam-Thrissur-Ernakulam-Alappuzha-Kollam-TVM) would be the straightforward option though there are broken stretches now and then. The other option (SH1 or MC Road) (Kunnamkulam-Thrissur-Angamaly-Perumbavur-Muvattupuzha-Kottayam-Kottarakkara-TVM) has significant twists and curves but it has been relaid recently. You can search previous posts in this thread for the exact description of road condition.
@Sbraj, thanks for the route. I think I'll try the NH 47 route, unless the other one is more scenic


Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
Unless you absolutley need to get to Palakkad and Kunnamkulam on your trip to TVM , i would suggest that you plan for these places on your return trip so that you can come down straight to TVM through Tamilnadu and on return you can cover PGT and KUNLM so that you can time your trip through the NH 47 in the non peak hours , the road becomes more or less congestion free after 1000 hrs in the the night to about 0800 in the morning. outside this time hell literally break loose on this road.
@hellstar, thanks for the suggestion. I do need to stop over at PGT and KUNLM both ways, that is excuse to take the car . I would be staying for a day or two both at PGT and KUNLM. If taking the road, I would be using the whole week for this trip. I need to be at TVM Lourde Church on the 29th.

Any good suggestions on Hotels, in the acco thread Pankaj and Maurya were mentioned. Are these still good, also how is Ginger ?

Thanks
Raghu
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks