Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2011, 15:59   #2191
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,790
Thanked: 513 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Has that ghat section improved that much ? Couple of months back, it could be negotiated no higher than 30-40
Sorry if I confuse you.
I didn't mean that you can do 80+ at Kuthiran. I was talking about the road after Kuthiran where you can do good speed though the surface is not smooth.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 18:03   #2192
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: EU - Nordic
Posts: 1,551
Thanked: 930 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

The 4-laning work in Thrissur-Angamaly stretch is nearing completion. Among the flyovers, the ones at Alwaye, Chalakkudy and Thalor are still incomplete. So there are some delays around these places. Other than that, the entire stretch is now 4-lane. In my weekend Ekm-Thrissur trip, I could hit avg.speed of 58km/h for Ekm-Tcr leg and 55km/h on the way back - staying mostly between 70-80kmph, occassionaly 90 and touching 100 a couple of times (I started quite early on both occassions).
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:52   #2193
Senior - BHPian
 
vasoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,031
Thanked: 207 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
I am planning to drive to Cochin this wednesday and would like to know whether it is still advisable to try out these diversions

(a) Thrissur to Palakkad is via Wadakancherry-SHoranur-Ottapalam-Palakkad

(b) Perundurai - Kangeyam - Palladam - Sulur - L&T to avoid Avinasi
I am also driving to Cochin this Saturday. Planning to take the Kanakapura, Kollegal, C'Nagar, Sathy, L&T Bye-pass, NH47 route. Apparently roads are better these days on NH47.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:01   #2194
BHPian
 
joecherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 547
Thanked: 78 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I am also driving to Cochin this Saturday. Planning to take the Kanakapura, Kollegal, C'Nagar, Sathy, L&T Bye-pass, NH47 route. Apparently roads are better these days on NH47.
How are the roads in Sathy > C Nagar >Kollegal >Kanakpura ? Last thing I heard was, the roads were very bad.(may be couple of months earlier). have you travelled in this route in recent past ?

Also any updates on Thoppur > Mettur > ammappetai section ? Through this, I can connect to Sathy from ammapettai (roads from ammapettai - sathy -cbe are very good). Only doubt is in Thoppur > mettur >ammapettai section
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:11   #2195
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 38
Thanked: 10 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Driving to Kerala from BLR tomorrow and would like to know the road conditions of the below route. Can any one travled recently in this route comment?

BLR -> Mysore -> Gudelpet -> Gudalur -> Nilambur -> Wandoor -> Pandikkad -> Perinthalmanna -> Perimpilavu -> Kunnamkulam -> Guruvayoor.

Thanks in adavance.
psvinay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:34   #2196
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,091
Thanked: 687 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Gundlupet-Wandoor : Excellent roads
Wandoor - Pandikkad : Some 15-16 culverts were being constructed as on November 2010. Road was non-existent then. Dont know the current status
Pandikkad to Guruvayur : Decent road, though not super good
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 14:11   #2197
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 586 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
How are the roads in Sathy > C Nagar >Kollegal >Kanakpura ? Last thing I heard was, the roads were very bad.(may be couple of months earlier). have you travelled in this route in recent past ?
C Nagar-Kollegal-Kanakapura-Bangalore is in quite decent condition except for some roadwork between Malavalli and Kanakapura (and of course 3 or 4 villages between Chamarajnagar and Kollegal where the road is very narrow). Haven't travelled the Sathy-C Nagar stretch for a while now. The last time I did that route (about 2 years back) the roads were good till about 20 kms before C Nagar, and then that last stretch was pretty bad with a lot of potholes. Since they have repaired the whole of NH 209 since then, there is a possibility that even that stretch might be in good shape now.
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 14:39   #2198
BHPian
 
ajman28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 277
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psvinay View Post
Driving to Kerala from BLR tomorrow and would like to know the road conditions of the below route. Can any one travled recently in this route comment?

BLR -> Mysore -> Gudelpet -> Gudalur -> Nilambur -> Wandoor -> Pandikkad -> Perinthalmanna -> Perimpilavu -> Kunnamkulam -> Guruvayoor.

Thanks in adavance.
Perumbilavu to Gvr should be a breeze. Did the stretch this weekend and found no issues.

Btw, 4 laning work is on for the stretch from LnT bye pass to Walayar on NH47. No major worries but you could get seriously stuck if you get entangled with the trucks. My personal advice is to keep an extra hour in mind for this stretch.
ajman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 21:44   #2199
BHPian
 
Soccerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kochi
Posts: 591
Thanked: 54 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

hey guys

im planning to drive down to bangalore from kochi on good friday. Can somebody help me with the best route (Nh 47) from kochi to bangalore? also please suggest which would be the best time to start from kochi. it will be great if you can list 1-2 good restaurants on the way and some quality fuel bunks

thanks in advance
kiran

Last edited by Soccerfan : 27th March 2011 at 21:45.
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 21:52   #2200
BHPian
 
joecherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 547
Thanked: 78 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
hey guys

Can somebody help me with the best route (Nh 47) from kochi to bangalore?

thanks in advance
kiran
Since you have already mentioned it as Nh47, I guess there is no confusion. Better to stick to the time tested Nh47/NH7 combo.
I had been to cochin last wednesday. Roads are decent with no much issues. Palghat-Trichur section also has improved (though bit bumpy).
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 22:48   #2201
BHPian
 
Soccerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kochi
Posts: 591
Thanked: 54 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Since you have already mentioned it as Nh47, I guess there is no confusion. Better to stick to the time tested Nh47/NH7 combo.
I had been to cochin last wednesday. Roads are decent with no much issues. Palghat-Trichur section also has improved (though bit bumpy).
thanks for the reply joe. just wanted to see if i need to go till salem to join NH 7 or is there a bypass to avoid Salem? Also need your inputs on fuel bunks and restaurants

The route that i see in google maps is palakad, coimbatore,avinashi, bhavani, salem, dharmapuri, hosur. I hope this is the best one??
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 22:55   #2202
BHPian
 
joecherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 547
Thanked: 78 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
thanks for the reply joe. just wanted to see if i need to go till salem to join NH 7 or is there a bypass to avoid Salem? Also need your inputs on fuel bunks and restaurants

The route that i see in google maps is palakad, coimbatore,avinashi, bhavani, salem, dharmapuri, hosur. I hope this is the best one??
with roads being 4 laned, i would advice you to stick on nh47 , join nh7 at salem. Only issue might be the under construction area upto Avinashi.

As of fuel bunks, what i do normally is tank up in ekm and then fill it up again at thoppur A2B BP bunk or shoolagiri HP bunk. The shoolagiri HP bunk is much better compared to the A2B bunks.

As of restaurants, the ones that I normally stop are Rajabhojanam on Cbe -Salem stretch, which is quite decent. For the next break, you can stop at shoolagiri HP bunk which has CCD, MacD and one normal veg restaurant.
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 09:48   #2203
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,790
Thanked: 513 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Since you are traveling on Good Friday, the traffic won't be much. The route mentioned is correct and bye passes are in place for these cities.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 21:55   #2204
BHPian
 
Soccerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kochi
Posts: 591
Thanked: 54 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
with roads being 4 laned, i would advice you to stick on nh47 , join nh7 at salem. Only issue might be the under construction area upto Avinashi.

As of fuel bunks, what i do normally is tank up in ekm and then fill it up again at thoppur A2B BP bunk or shoolagiri HP bunk. The shoolagiri HP bunk is much better compared to the A2B bunks.

As of restaurants, the ones that I normally stop are Rajabhojanam on Cbe -Salem stretch, which is quite decent. For the next break, you can stop at shoolagiri HP bunk which has CCD, MacD and one normal veg restaurant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Since you are traveling on Good Friday, the traffic won't be much. The route mentioned is correct and bye passes are in place for these cities.
thanks joe for the reply.The shoolagiri HP bunk - is it on the left side on the way to bangalore?

cool clouds - i m planing for an early start from kochi around 6AM. Hope I can reach blr by evening around 4?
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 22:34   #2205
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York, Bangalore, Calicut
Posts: 438
Thanked: 96 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
thanks joe for the reply.The shoolagiri HP bunk - is it on the left side on the way to bangalore?
No. On the right (wrong) side coming towards Bangalore.
As you approach Shoolagiri, you see 0.5 kms towards right to that place first where the junction is like a Y junction. Again, a bit further, you see 0.5 kms to Shoolagiri to right where the junction is a proper T junction. Just take right and then immediately take left on the service lane. If you are not aware, the HP bunk also has a good Veg Restaurant "Srikrishna Inn" and also "Cafe Coffee Day" and good toilet facilities.
To return to the route/direction to Bangalore, follow the same route in the reverse or else, it is a longer route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
cool clouds - i m planing for an early start from kochi around 6AM. Hope I can reach blr by evening around 4?
You should be easily making it. Budget around 3 hours to Walayar including breakfast stoppage, then another 2 hours to Avinashi. After about 15 kms, you enter the super-fast no-stop-required (except tolls) 4-lane all the way to Bangalore.

BTW, I always start around 6 AM from Bangalore and reach Ernakulam by 4 PM. So, reverse should be possible as you cover Kerala roads on non-peak hours as compared to my afternoon/evening timings.
ajithbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks