Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2011, 11:45   #2281
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ............
Posts: 3,261
Thanked: 4,208 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I will be taking NH 7/47 route.
My MMI Lx130 v 6.0 recommends this route from my Basaveswara Nagar home to my hotel at Kochi having 504 km via SH 17/NH 209/47: Bangalore>Maddur [SH 17 - 4 lane]>Kollegala> Chamarajanagar> Sathyamangalam [NH 209 - 2 lane]>Coimbatore>Kochi as against 547 km via NH 7/47. I am tempted to take this MMI recommended route for the up journey and NH 7/47 for the return journey. As I programme to leave my home by 3 am tomorrow, I can easily reach Kovai for breakfast/refuelling, and then, continue further to Kochi.

Kindly enlighten me about the latest road condition of NH 209.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 21st April 2011 at 11:48.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 12:23   #2282
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore-Kollam-Trivandrum
Posts: 41
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

I drove from Bangalore to Kollam, Kerala during the first week of this month in my VW Polo. We started from Bangalore at around 2.30 AM and reached Outer Madurai by around 07.00 AM. Initially we were confused on which route to take as NH-47 through Palakad was the other option in our mind. But last moment we decided to take the Madurai route as we could cover maximum distance through the four way track.

From Madurai we deviated to Rajapalayam direction and through Srivilliputhur we reached Tenkasi at around 09.00 AM. The only problem with this route is that you will not find good stop over to refresh.
From Bangalore to Madurai outer we could average a speed of 100 Kph. When we reached Tenkasi by 09.00AM we covered 520 Km in six and a half hours and the credit goes to good roads maintained by NHAI. From Tenkasi to Kollam on NH-208 driving was a real pain as we entered Kerala the traffic was moving in snail speed and around 12 noon I reached my home @ Kollam.

Even though we could have had our breakfast from Tenkasi we waited till reaching home to have a sumptuous meal cooked by my mother.
Overall its good to take Tenkasi route if you want reach Kollam, Trivandrum or Pathanamthitta while coming from Bangalore or Chennai compared to Palakkad route as there is good road to serve you till Tenkasi. Let me know if you need more details on this route.
rahulrajeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 13:34   #2283
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,787
Thanked: 505 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Did Bangalore-Kochi on NH7/NH47 route. Started yesterday evening at 10.30pm from Madiwala and was raining quite good till Krishnagiri and then around Trichur.

No big queues at toll booths except Attibelle. There was traffic block immediately after Salem toll booth and a Sona travels bus parked along with Police vehicles. Was there any accident?

Avinashi route was quite easy and better than expected. It took one hour 25 mins from Perundurai toll to L&T toll. Finally, reached Ernakulam at 6.30am with one break at Thoppur.

Roads are mostly in good shape.

Last edited by coolclouds : 21st April 2011 at 13:47.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 13:37   #2284
BHPian
 
sbkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 344
Thanked: 82 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
My MMI Lx130 v 6.0 recommends this route from my Basaveswara Nagar home to my hotel at Kochi having 504 km via SH 17/NH 209/47: Bangalore>Maddur [SH 17 - 4 lane]>Kollegala> Chamarajanagar> Sathyamangalam [NH 209 - 2 lane]>Coimbatore>Kochi as against 547 km via NH 7/47. I am tempted to take this MMI recommended route for the up journey and NH 7/47 for the return journey. As I programme to leave my home by 3 am tomorrow, I can easily reach Kovai for breakfast/refuelling, and then, continue further to Kochi.

Kindly enlighten me about the latest road condition of NH 209.
IMO, in terms of speed and amenities along, NH 7/NH 47 is the best possible route.
sbkumar is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 13:42   #2285
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ............
Posts: 3,261
Thanked: 4,208 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Thanks, sbkumar, for kind advice. I am tempted by NH 209 in view of scenic beauty with shorter distance to cover. I travelled on this stretch two decades back.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 14:01   #2286
BHPian
 
lloydofcochin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 436
Thanked: 180 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Did Bangalore-Kochi on NH7/NH47 route. Started yesterday evening at 10.30pm from Madiwala and was raining quite good till Krishnagiri and then around Trichur.

No big queues at toll booths except Attibelle. There was traffic block immediately after Salem toll booth and a Sona travels bus parked along with Police vehicles. Was there any accident?

Avinashi route was quite easy and better than expected. It took one hour 25 mins from Perundurai toll to L&T toll. Finally, reached Ernakulam at 6.30am with one break at Thoppur.

Roads are mostly in good shape.
Took the same route. Started from behind IIMB at 12am and reached Fort Cochin by 12pm with multiple Sleep/Food/Coffee breaks. The roads were pretty OK except Avinashi and the Kuthiran stretch. Avinashi was quite dusty and the Car is unrecognizable now

Got stuck at Attibelle for a good 20-25 mins.
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 07:54   #2287
BHPian
 
Twiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cochin-Bangalore
Posts: 299
Thanked: 47 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Hi, if anybody carpooling from Cochin/Thrissur to Bangalore on 24/4, please PM me.. need two seats. Thanks
Twiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 01:02   #2288
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Thanks, sbkumar, for kind advice. I am tempted by NH 209 in view of scenic beauty with shorter distance to cover. I travelled on this stretch two decades back.
The only problem is that till CBE you wont find any thing to eat (good hotels) and any clean toilets. More than hotels, break areas are more important.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 11:38   #2289
BHPian
 
sbkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 344
Thanked: 82 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Did BLR-CBE-BLR over the weekend. The last stretch between Chengampalli to CBE where the 4-laning is in progress was okay to drive in the day time. But yesterday on my way back, started from CBE at 7.30 PM. It took almost 2 hours to cross this stretch with rain and slow moving heavy vehicles slowing down the travel extremely. Please avoid this stretch at night if possible. The return trip was painful with non-stop rains until Hosur :-(
sbkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 12:13   #2290
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,423
Thanked: 6,347 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulrajeev View Post
I drove from Bangalore to Kollam, Kerala during the first week of this month in my VW Polo. We started from Bangalore at around 2.30 AM and reached Outer Madurai by around 07.00 AM. Initially we were confused on which route to take as NH-47 through Palakad was the other option in our mind. But last moment we decided to take the Madurai route as we could cover maximum distance through the four way track.

From Madurai we deviated to Rajapalayam direction and through Srivilliputhur we reached Tenkasi at around 09.00 AM. The only problem with this route is that you will not find good stop over to refresh.
From Bangalore to Madurai outer we could average a speed of 100 Kph. When we reached Tenkasi by 09.00AM we covered 520 Km in six and a half hours and the credit goes to good roads maintained by NHAI. From Tenkasi to Kollam on NH-208 driving was a real pain as we entered Kerala the traffic was moving in snail speed and around 12 noon I reached my home @ Kollam.

Even though we could have had our breakfast from Tenkasi we waited till reaching home to have a sumptuous meal cooked by my mother.
Overall its good to take Tenkasi route if you want reach Kollam, Trivandrum or Pathanamthitta while coming from Bangalore or Chennai compared to Palakkad route as there is good road to serve you till Tenkasi. Let me know if you need more details on this route.
Please post the route details. It will help someone decide the next trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Took the same route. Started from behind IIMB at 12am and reached Fort Cochin by 12pm with multiple Sleep/Food/Coffee breaks. The roads were pretty OK except Avinashi and the Kuthiran stretch. Avinashi was quite dusty and the Car is unrecognizable now

Got stuck at Attibelle for a good 20-25 mins.
The route from Avinashi till almost Coimbatore is a pain to drive with all the work going on as of now. Not to mention the dust thats present. And the sudden zig zag also irritates a lot. This should be fine in around 6 months and after that it should be a real blast to drive thru this road.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 19:55   #2291
BHPian
 
B103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 365
Thanked: 197 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
I travelled the Bangalore --> Dindigul --> Theni --> Kumili --> Chry route last Saturday. It is a nice route except for 25-30 kms of bad roads. This section of bad road is near the ghats at TN-Kerala border.

Overall it was a good trip and the drive is very very scenic. Bangalore (Bellandur) to
Changanacherry is 620 kms and can be covered in 12 hrs via this route. Speeds of 130+ kmph is easily acheivable till Dindigul. Further to that the average speed reduces to 80 kmph and drops to 25 kmph in the ghat section. Road is winding and bad here. Again, from Vandiperiyar onwards, we can drive at an average speed of 55-60 kmph.


Problems we faced:
(1) Kumili check post is quite arrow and police were stopping and checking couple of
trucks which resulted in blocked traffic on both sides of the road. We lost around 20 mins there. Worse could happen at Walayar check post too. Since we were travelling on the next day of Vishu festival, many private vehicles returning from Sabarimala were seen on the road.

(2) People were feeling motion sickeness because of winding climb up and then down again. This would not be a problem in the Palakad-Thrissur route.

(3) You many not find many eateries and petrol pumps after Dindigul till Vandiperiyar. A little bit of planning will help.

(4) I assume break-down support facilities will be poor as well. Not sure though on this
point.
Did the return trip back from Chry to Bangalore today. We came back in the same way -- via Kumili, Theni itself. Started around 6:15 in the morning and reached Bangalore at 6:45 in the evening.

The places through we drove in Kerala was indeed very scenic and beautiful. I got a chance to closely watch the nature as we started in the morning and my brother was in the driver's seat

One incident which shook me like no ends is related to a blue Chevrolet Beat (TN 70 B 2761) in the Dindigual-Salem highway. This car had a T-BHP's (got BHP?) sticker in the rear glass. We both were doing 110+ and this car cut sharply into the front of mine from the left. I had to apply quick breaks to make space and my heart was in my mouth, for some time. It was uncouth and rude behaviour at it's best.
This car was driven same way, as far as I could see it.

Whomever it is, if you get a chance to see this thread, my request to you is to please drive carefully. Road is a shared resource, kindly follow the rules and give some consideration for other vehicles too. It is a shame to do such irresponsible driving esp with a T-BHP sticker on the car.

Last edited by B103 : 24th April 2011 at 20:04.
B103 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 21:57   #2292
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,423
Thanked: 6,347 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
Did the return trip back from Chry to Bangalore today. We came back in the same way -- via Kumili, Theni itself. Started around 6:15 in the morning and reached Bangalore at 6:45 in the evening.

The places through we drove in Kerala was indeed very scenic and beautiful. I got a chance to closely watch the nature as we started in the morning and my brother was in the driver's seat
If you really want to enjoy the hill station beauty [Kuttikkanam / Kumily] you should reach this place at around 6 AM in the morning. Sure you will be blessed with some mist, sometimes to a really huge level where you have visibility only to few feets in front of you! Really refreshes a traveller ! I usually plan my trip from Bangy [10 PM] so that I reach Kumily @ 6 AM in the morning and the pics which I take en-route has awarded me a fair share of jealousy from my colleagues and have made them a huge fan of Kerala!
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 13:47   #2293
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ............
Posts: 3,261
Thanked: 4,208 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

I returned to Bangalore this morning from my Kerala trip.

While going, I took the route of Bangalore>Maddur [SH 17 - 4 lane]>[SH33] Malavalli>Kollegala> Chamarajnagar> Sathyamangalam [NH 209 - 2 lane]>Coimbatore>[NH47] Kochi.

The road [SH33] from Maddur to Malavalli was bad with a lot of potholes for a distance of about 25 km. But, after reaching NH 209, the scenerio changed completely. The road was very good all the way to Chamrajnagar. After crossing into Tamil Nadu, it became excellent all the way to Coimbatore. The scenic beauty of the Dhimbum Ghats was simply breathtaking. We had a photo session en route at Dhimbum.

The road from Coimbatore to Thrissur was rough and patchy. I didn't enjoy driving on this stretch. Thrissur to Kochi was a nice 4-lane road that ensured smooth ride although some flyovers were still under construction.

After staying in Ernakulam for two days, we went to Kayamkulam to attend a marriage yesterday. Though it was Easter Sunday, traffic on NH47 from Kochi to Kayamkulam was more than expected. Here too, I didn't enjoy my drive.

After lunch, we left Kayamkulam to Trichy/Bangalore via Mavelikkara>Kanjirapalli>Mundakkayam>Kumily>Theni> Dhindukkal>Trichy>Salem>Krishnagiri. I enjoyed each and every moment of my driving on this route. We had clicked many photographs on the way. If one wants to enjoy the Nature with leisurely drive, then this is the route to take.

I reached Bangalore after finishing my work at Trichy.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 13:49   #2294
BHPian
 
joecherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 547
Thanked: 78 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I returned to Bangalore this morning from my Kerala trip.

While going, I took the route of Bangalore>Maddur [SH 17 - 4 lane]>[SH33] Malavalli>Kollegala> Chamarajnagar> Sathyamangalam [NH 209 - 2 lane]>Coimbatore>[NH47] Kochi.

The road [SH33] from Maddur to Malavalli was bad with a lot of potholes for a distance of about 25 km. But, after reaching NH 209, the scenerio changed completely.
.
That means if we take the NH209 right from bangalore, roads are good all the way till cbe ?
joecherian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 13:56   #2295
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,345 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
That means if we take the NH209 right from bangalore, roads are good all the way till cbe ?
NH209 is fantastic right now all the way from Bangalore via Kanakapura, Malavalli, KOllegala, Chamarajanagar, Dimbam & Sathyamanagalam. Watch out for narrow bad roads in one section of Kanakapura town and keep an eye on signboards since there are several turn offs, and you can go off track if you are not careful.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks