Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:06   #3721
Senior - BHPian
 
motomaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 864 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
L&T Bypass Jn to Walayar: Bumpy but manageable.
Walayar - Palghat - Mannuthy: Few kms bad around Kuthiran
Mannuthy-Angamaly-Airport: 4 lane, excellent (30-40 mins)
The whole stretch can be done easily within 3 hrs + breaks.
3 hrs for somearound 162 I would say is pretty decent road conditions. So walayar to Mannuthy is a 2 lane is it?

Any notable eateries on this section?
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:07   #3722
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,091
Thanked: 687 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
3 hrs for somearound 162 I would say is pretty decent road conditions. So walayar to Mannuthy is a 2 lane is it?

Any notable eateries on this section?
Yes, Walayar-Mannuthy is 2 lane

Eateries :
(1) Oottupura at Walayar. Heard it is good. Non-veg
(2) Malabar Restaurant, Near Kanjikkode : Nice, with good sea food options
(3) Sre Aryas at the T junction just before Palakkad where the road turns to the left towards Trissur : Veg, Typical Tamilnadu vegetarian food. Very Good
(4) Aryas : Wadakkanchery - Very good like Sre Aryas
(5) A non-veg restaurant adjacent to Aryas, Forgot the name. No idea about quality

Wouldn't recommend any other eateries in this section - Have tried almost all
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 13:55   #3723
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,790
Thanked: 513 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Any notable eateries on this section?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Eateries :
In addition to above, since you are going to somewhere near airport, check a restaurant (Malabar) at NH47-Airport road jn itself. Its a 24 hrs restaurant and they serve good hot food.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:31   #3724
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,091
Thanked: 687 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
In addition to above, since you are going to somewhere near airport, check a restaurant (Malabar) at NH47-Airport road jn itself. Its a 24 hrs restaurant and they serve good hot food.
I was thinking of the Walayar - Mannuthy stretch. On the Mannuthy-Airport road, the another good option would be Hotel Adithi at Angamaly, near the new KSRTC Complex, if you prefer Kerala style food, espl Appam/Egg curry/Veg Stew

The Aryaas, a few miles after the toll (on the RH side) is surprisingly lousy
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:45   #3725
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,692
Thanked: 4,459 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Folks - Need some route/road conditions help. This is for a friend who plans to travel to Sultan Bathery (from Bangalore) for a day and then to Guruvayoor.

From my quick reading of older posts I think the route is:
Sultan Bathery->Gudalur->Nilambur->Manjeri->Malappuram->Kottakkal->Kuttippuram->Edappal->Kunnamkulam->Guruvayur

Do let me know if there are better options as well as road conditions.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:50   #3726
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,227
Thanked: 807 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Folks - Need some route/road conditions help. This is for a friend who plans to travel to Sultan Bathery (from Bangalore) for a day and then to Guruvayoor.

From my quick reading of older posts I think the route is:
Sultan Bathery->Gudalur->Nilambur->Manjeri->Malappuram->Kottakkal->Kuttippuram->Edappal->Kunnamkulam->Guruvayur

Do let me know if there are better options as well as road conditions.
Another alternative can be Sultan Bathery-> Panthalur -> Nilambur and the route that you have mentioned.

I don't have the report on latest condition of the road.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:54   #3727
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York, Bangalore, Calicut
Posts: 438
Thanked: 96 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Folks - Need some route/road conditions help. This is for a friend who plans to travel to Sultan Bathery (from Bangalore) for a day and then to Guruvayoor.

From my quick reading of older posts I think the route is:
Sultan Bathery->Gudalur->Nilambur->Manjeri->Malappuram->Kottakkal->Kuttippuram->Edappal->Kunnamkulam->Guruvayur

Do let me know if there are better options as well as road conditions.
Sultan Bathery->Kalpetta->Thamarassery->Calicut->Kottakkal->Guruvayur is the best route for now.

Avoid Sultan Bathery->Gudalur->Nilambur route for a few days as there are lots of fallen trees in the ghat section almost daily that effectively make the road single-laned in some of the (blind) curves. Also, some fencing work is happening before the monsoon starts to prevent some boulders rolling down and also repairing the side-walls which were damaged in the last season.

EDIT: Saw the above news in last week Mathrubhumi newspaper. In any case, NH-212+Calicut Bye-pass+NH-17+SH-69 is the fastest and smoothest option as of today.

Last edited by ajithbr : 22nd May 2012 at 22:57.
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 23:16   #3728
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,227
Thanked: 7,773 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

Do let me know if there are better options as well as road conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Sultan Bathery->Kalpetta->Thamarassery->Calicut->Kottakkal->Guruvayur is the best route for now.
Above is probably the best route as of now. But with the opening of the Chamravattam bridge a new route has opened up from Calicut side. This is Calicut-Feroke-Parappanangadi-Tirur-Chamravattam-Ponnani-Chavakkad-Guruvayoor. Road conditions are very good and much less traffic compared to the NH17 route. Apparently this route is 40km less than the NH route.

On the downside, the roads are relatively narrower and I have not seen any first hand report of anyone taking this route and any potential savings.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 23:40   #3729
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York, Bangalore, Calicut
Posts: 438
Thanked: 96 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Above is probably the best route as of now. But with the opening of the Chamravattam bridge a new route has opened up from Calicut side. This is Calicut-Feroke-Parappanangadi-Tirur-Chamravattam-Ponnani-Chavakkad-Guruvayoor. Road conditions are very good and much less traffic compared to the NH17 route. Apparently this route is 40km less than the NH route.

On the downside, the roads are relatively narrower and I have not seen any first hand report of anyone taking this route and any potential savings.
Feroke-Parappanangadi is to be avoided as it is too narrow and fully damaged in many stretches. Rest of the section should be good as per what I have seen in January/February this year. Obviously, I have not taken Chamravattam-Ponnani part then but the rest of it when I went to Tirur and then Guruvayur (via Tirunnavaya->Kuttippuram).

Alternative route reported to be in very good condition would be Ramanattukara(southern end of Calicut bye-pass)->Right turn just before Calicut University->Olipramkadavu Bridge->Tirur->Ponnani. This way, you can combine the advantages of maximum driving on Calicut bye-pass and also the new Chamravattam bridge.
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 23:55   #3730
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,227
Thanked: 7,773 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Feroke-Parappanangadi is to be avoided as it is too narrow and fully damaged in many stretches. Rest of the section should be good as per what I have seen in January/February this year. Obviously, I have not taken Chamravattam-Ponnani part then but the rest of it when I went to Tirur and then Guruvayur (via Tirunnavaya->Kuttippuram).
Both the routes from Feroke to Parappanagadi (The narrow one that starts from the old Feroke bridge via Chaliyam-Kadalundi as well as the one from the side of the bus stand via Vallikunnu) are in good condition now. I took these route last week in my Tirur Calicut drives. The Feroke-Chaliyam stretch has been relaid completely and is very good now. Of course very narrow
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 08:48   #3731
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,664
Thanked: 3,205 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Alternative route reported to be in very good condition would be Ramanattukara(southern end of Calicut bye-pass)->Right turn just before Calicut University->Olipramkadavu Bridge->Tirur->Ponnani. This way, you can combine the advantages of maximum driving on Calicut bye-pass and also the new Chamravattam bridge.
I too will second ajithbr, through Ponnani will be the best option. Roads are good through all routes mentioned in other posts. However Ponnani route has comparatively lesser traffic
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:48   #3732
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 586 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Alternative route reported to be in very good condition would be Ramanattukara(southern end of Calicut bye-pass)->Right turn just before Calicut University->Olipramkadavu Bridge->Tirur->Ponnani. This way, you can combine the advantages of maximum driving on Calicut bye-pass and also the new Chamravattam bridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I too will second ajithbr, through Ponnani will be the best option. Roads are good through all routes mentioned in other posts. However Ponnani route has comparatively lesser traffic
Even though news reports say the Chamravattom bridge saves about 30 kms, the actual reduction in distance seems to be only about 10 kms or so as per Google Maps. Considering that there's a level crossing on the road connecting Calicut University and the Tirur-Kadalundi road, and the fact that you have to pass through a quite a few towns (Parappanangadi, Tanur, Tirur, Ponnani), do you think there would be significant savings in terms of time ?
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:02   #3733
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,664
Thanked: 3,205 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Considering that there's a level crossing on the road connecting Calicut University and the Tirur-Kadalundi road, and the fact that you have to pass through a quite a few towns (Parappanangadi, Tanur, Tirur, Ponnani), do you think there would be significant savings in terms of time ?
I have felt that volume of traffic is lesser in this route compared to Valanchery route. It took me 3hrs 40 mins to reach Guruvayoor from Calicut on a Saturday evening drive in Valanchery -Kunnamkulam route. My friend who stared around the same time through Ponnai route took some half hour less.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:11   #3734
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,227
Thanked: 7,773 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Even though news reports say the Chamravattom bridge saves about 30 kms, the actual reduction in distance seems to be only about 10 kms or so as per Google Maps. Considering that there's a level crossing on the road connecting Calicut University and the Tirur-Kadalundi road, and the fact that you have to pass through a quite a few towns (Parappanangadi, Tanur, Tirur, Ponnani), do you think there would be significant savings in terms of time ?
Frankly No, I dont think there will be any savings in time. I have taken all available routes between Calicut and Tirur multiple times. The NH route takes me 1 hr 15 min from Meenchanda mini byepass to Tirur. The Feroke-Kadalundi-Parppanangadi -Tirur, Feroke-Vallikunnu-Parappanagadi-Tirur, Univ-Parappanangadi-Tirur, Chelari-Parappangandi- Tirur all take exactly the same time even though these routes are 10-12 km shorter. So I would expect the same scenario between Tirur and Guruvayoor also.

The benefit I have observed is lesser traffic which means a less stressful drive (especially during peak hours). So these alternative routes can be taken if you are looking to avoid the heavy NH traffic (especially if you are travelling during evening to night time).

Note: If you go via Feroke-Chaliyam-Kadalundi then there is no railway gate since you cross the railway track at Feroke itself (By going below the track after the Feroke old bridge). There is one gate between Tanur and Tirur
where overbridge work is happening.

Note2: Read in the paper that the charge for the new KSRTC services from Kozhikode-Guruvayoor via Tirur-Chamravattam is Rs53 while the standard route is Rs70+ . So I assume there should be 20-30 km difference in distance.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:52   #3735
Senior - BHPian
 
Klub Class's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA17|KL65|KL41
Posts: 3,538
Thanked: 726 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

We did a Chemmad (5.5kms to the east of Parappanangadi) - Aluva trip through the newly opened Chamravattom Bridge two days back. We started from home at ~05:30 and could do this stretch in 2 hours and 30 odd mins. For the return trip we took 3 hours and 40 odd mins as we could start from Aluva at ~16:00. The traffic was pretty dense and there were few traffic block at Pookkayil Junction(thanks to the ego-clash between the some idiotic drivers) and Ponnani Junction
  • The Railway Over-Bridge on Tirur - Kadalundi Road is temporarily closed for repairs. For this reason, one needs to take a right turn at Moolakkal and take a relatively smaller and curvy road. There are proper signboards on the way, thankfully. This road will join with the Tirur - Kadalundi Road at Pookkayil Junction
  • The toll collection is yet to start on Chamravattom Bridge
  • There are no toll collections on the route (including the NH)
  • The bridge is very crowded as it's a newly opened one and majority of the drivers cruise on the bridge as if they've come here to enjoy the beauty of the bridge and the river. There are many ice-cream vendors (the auto-rickshaw walaahs) on either side of the bridge, by the way.
  • The Ponnani Junction was pretty much crowded and there were 4-5 policemen at the junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Even though news reports say the Chamravattom bridge saves about 30 kms, the actual reduction in distance seems to be only about 10 kms or so as per Google Maps. Considering that there's a level crossing on the road connecting Calicut University and the Tirur-Kadalundi road, and the fact that you have to pass through a quite a few towns (Parappanangadi, Tanur, Tirur, Ponnani), do you think there would be significant savings in terms of time ?
We could see a reduction of only 20 odd kms (may be because we had to take an alternate route at Moolakkal Junction) compared to the route we usually take. Though we saved some time, I must add that we usually take more or less the same time irrespective of whatever route we take. The positives of taking Chamravattom Road is that there are no tolls (a saving of Rs 85) and lesser traffic. Adding to that one can drive at 71kmph in this stretch without getting caught by speed cams/guns. *evil grin*

My guess is that once toll collection begins, the traffic density in this stretch will become low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
It took me 3hrs 40 mins to reach Guruvayoor from Calicut on a Saturday evening drive in Valanchery -Kunnamkulam route
You could have better bypassed the Valanchery & Kunnamkulam towns thereby saving some good amount of time during the peaks.

Last edited by Klub Class : 23rd May 2012 at 10:54.
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks