Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2012, 13:05   #3931
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore Kochi Road Condition Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
.... start at 5:00 AM on August 15th.....
....My priority is to reach home fastest........ I do not mind slightly broken sections .....
Since your start time is 5 am from Saravana Bhavan, I would recommend the known regular route itself for a faster drive to reach Vaikom before 12noon. L&T exit to Walayar and Vadakkancherry to Mannuthy is in bad shape but can be easily negotiated during day light. Also there should not be any traffic block at Walayar during morning time.

Anyways, Vadakkancherry-Mannuthy stretch you have to do even if you take alternate route.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 13:13   #3932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Since your start time is 5 am from Saravana Bhavan, I would recommend the known regular route itself for a faster drive to reach Vaikom before 12noon. L&T exit to Walayar and Vadakkancherry to Mannuthy is in bad shape but can be easily negotiated during day light. Also there should not be any traffic block at Walayar during morning time.

Anyways, Vadakkancherry-Mannuthy stretch you have to do even if you take alternate route.

Please check my post above. I had experienced this personally last August and had to take deviations via alternate roads to finally reach Wadakkancherry.
I think the NH 47 between Palakkad and Thrissur has to be avoided at any cost.
Old 9th August 2012, 13:14   #3933
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Manorama news was showing the pathetic condition of Kuthiran and Irumbu Paalam today morning. Road was looking pathetic and there was a long queue of vehicles. Not able to decide whether to use NH 47 or come through Pollachi will retruning from Cochin. I am driving through Udumalpet -> Munnar while going, so no confusion there
Old 9th August 2012, 13:29   #3934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please check my post above. I had experienced this personally last August and had to take deviations via alternate roads to finally reach Wadakkancherry.
I think the NH 47 between Palakkad and Thrissur has to be avoided at any cost.
L&T exit to Walayar and Vadakkancherry to Mannuthy is the stretch best avoided. You can easily negotiate Avinashi-L&T and Walayar - Vadakkancherry during off peak day time. Since August 15 being a holiday, the traffic should be low.

Vadakkancherry - Mannuthy stretch is known for lorry break down due to potholes and being this a two lane, traffic gets interrupted. The local buses and toddy jeeps make the situation worst, if there is a traffic block. Better, check with lorry guys at Palakkad and confirm before proceeding.

I didn't mention Shornur route as you don't want to go through Trichur but may consider Shornur route to avoid any risk. I have posted some images of Trichur-Palakkad route as on 29th July few posts back.

Last edited by coolclouds : 9th August 2012 at 13:40.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 13:50   #3935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vadakkancherry - Mannuthy stretch is known for lorry break down due to potholes and being this a two lane, traffic gets interrupted. The local buses and toddy jeeps make the situation worst, if there is a traffic block. Better, check with lorry guys at Palakkad and confirm before proceeding.

I didn't mention Shornur route as you don't want to go through Trichur but may consider Shornur route to avoid any risk. I have posted some images of Trichur-Palakkad route as on 29th July few posts back.
I will go via thrissur if it cannot be avoided. Now I am pretty convince that I should avoid Kuthiran.

Now the question is

Should I take.
Perundurai - Kangeyam - Palladam - Pollachi - Alathur - Pazhayannoor - Wadakkancherry - Thrissur

or

Palakkad - Wadakkeancherry - thrissur.

I would take the faster one.
Old 9th August 2012, 14:18   #3936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will go via thrissur if it cannot be avoided. Now I am pretty convince that I should avoid Kuthiran.

Now the question is

Should I take.
Perundurai - Kangeyam - Palladam - Pollachi - Alathur - Pazhayannoor - Wadakkancherry - Thrissur

or

Palakkad - Wadakkeancherry - thrissur.

I would take the faster one.

If I at your place on above given time,

Avinashi-L&T-Palakkad, ask local guys about situation at Kuthiran. If traffic block reported, take Palakkad-Shornur-Trichur, else, NH47.
Old 9th August 2012, 19:16   #3937
BHPian

Friends,

Do you have any latest updates on Thekkady-Munnar stretch? The best route suggested is via Nedumkandam/Poppara but would like to know if its safe to drive in the evenings/night (say starting from Thekkady after 5 PM)?

Last edited by nfsfreak : 9th August 2012 at 19:38.
Old 9th August 2012, 19:22   #3938
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Friends,

You have any latest updates on Thekkady-Munnar stretch. The best route suggested is via Nedumkandam/Poppara but would like to know if its safe to drive in the evenings/night (say starting from Thekkady after 5 PM)?
@nfs, one item I forgot to mention in the other thread;

The Theni-Bodi-Chinnakanal-Munnar road was bad last monsoon.
Dont know how it is today. So need to check Poppara-Munnar road status also.

Last edited by ampere : 9th August 2012 at 19:40.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 20:04   #3939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Friends,

Do you have any latest updates on Thekkady-Munnar stretch? The best route suggested is via Nedumkandam/Poppara but would like to know if its safe to drive in the evenings/night (say starting from Thekkady after 5 PM)?
Remember that you can expect wildlife crossings after dark approaching Poopara from Nedumkandam & at Anairangi. ON very rainy days, expect heavy fog too
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 01:19   #3940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@nfs, one item I forgot to mention in the other thread;

The Theni-Bodi-Chinnakanal-Munnar road was bad last monsoon.
Dont know how it is today. So need to check Poppara-Munnar road status also.
I travelled through Chinnakkanal-Munnar Kothamangalam route yesterday. munnar to chinnakanal section is in some what good condition(drivable). yes, it was rainy and foggy all the way from neryamangalam towards east.

Last edited by deepclutch : 10th August 2012 at 01:44.
deepclutch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 10:37   #3941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I travelled through Chinnakkanal-Munnar Kothamangalam route yesterday. munnar to chinnakanal section is in some what good condition(drivable). yes, it was rainy and foggy all the way from neryamangalam towards east.
How is the road condition between Neryamangalam-Munnar? Also the road around Munnar town/Ksrtc bus stand area?
Old 10th August 2012, 11:53   #3942
BHPian

Thanks Ampere, deepclutch & HVK Sir. Then I will plan to cover Thekkady-Munnar during day time just to be on safer side.
Old 10th August 2012, 16:54   #3943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is the road condition between Neryamangalam-Munnar? Also the road around Munnar town/Ksrtc bus stand area?
I recall there are some places between neryamangalam-adimaly with bad surface. and yes, it is patchy nearing munnar, that bridge before KSRTC stand .
Old 10th August 2012, 18:03   #3944
BHPian

Folks,
I am planning to travel to Kollam on 18th early morning. Reading the Palakad-Trissur story, do you guys think it is better to go through Madurai route? Can anyone help me with the routes and deviations ?

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 10th August 2012 at 18:07.
Old 10th August 2012, 23:40   #3945
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Folks,
I am planning to travel to Kollam on 18th early morning. Reading the Palakad-Trissur story, do you guys think it is better to go through Madurai route? Can anyone help me with the routes and deviations ?
I think that Madurai route is always good for Kollam. In fact if one is going to south Kerala, I think NH7 is always a better option. Distances are almost the same.

In the Madurai route out of 700 km 450 is 4L (till Madurai), then you are on to 2L road.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks