Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2012, 09:29   #3946
BHPian
 
pramodpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 996
Thanked: 447 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper
Folks,
I am planning to travel to Kollam on 18th early morning. Reading the Palakad-Trissur story, do you guys think it is better to go through Madurai route? Can anyone help me with the routes and deviations ?
I agree with ampere on this. Madurai route is anytime better.
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2012, 10:49   #3947
BHPian
 
ontheroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: KL-01/KL-08
Posts: 296
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

Avoid Thrissur-Kuthiran-Palghat at any cost. Every day there is atleast 3 hour block and the road may even damage you car and your backbone.
ontheroad is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2012, 20:55   #3948
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 267
Thanked: 88 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Hi, what is the best route from Ooty to Calicut? How much time would it take for a leisurely drive? Pls also give any details for Lunch and "family restroom" options enroute.

The plan is to go to Kotagiri (from Bangalore) on 17th and drive to Calicut on 19th.

Thanks

Vindy
VindyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2012, 21:20   #3949
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,483
Thanked: 8,373 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi, what is the best route from Ooty to Calicut? How much time would it take for a leisurely drive? Pls also give any details for Lunch and "family restroom" options enroute.

The plan is to go to Kotagiri (from Bangalore) on 17th and drive to Calicut on 19th.

Thanks

Vindy
Two main options

Ooty-Gudalur-Nilambur-Edavanna-Mavoor-Calicut

The other option is

Ooty-Gudalur-Meppadi-Kalpetta-Calicut.

What most folks says is that the Edavanna option is narrow (I have no idea as I have not driven). The other one should be good.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2012, 21:33   #3950
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 267
Thanked: 88 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Thank You Ampere as always!

I know the Gudalur-Meppadi route which I had taken last time while returning to Bangalore from Calicut. Stayed for overnight halt at a lovely homestay at Meppadi (Jinoy's property)mentioned by HVK in one of his old posts.

Google maps shows 30km less in the Nilambur route, but not sure if it takes lesser time.

Cheers

Vindy
VindyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 01:46   #3951
BHPian
 
lateshnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 46
Thanked: 6 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Hello,

Anybody travelled recently via this route
mysuru -> gudlupet -> bandipur -> gudalur -> nilambur -> wandoor -> pandikkad -> perinthalmanna

I would like to know the road condition.

Thanks
lateshnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 06:28   #3952
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,790
Thanked: 513 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateshnair
Hello,

Anybody travelled recently via this route
mysuru -> gudlupet -> bandipur -> gudalur -> nilambur -> wandoor -> pandikkad -> perinthalmanna

I would like to know the road condition.

Thanks
I did Bangalore-Nilambur few weeks back and the road condition is good. The section inside forest is smooth but there are speed breakers in almost ecery 500 meters.

Gudalur-Perinthalmanna also was in good condition when I did it two months back.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 07:05   #3953
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,483
Thanked: 8,373 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateshnair View Post
mysuru -> gudlupet -> bandipur -> gudalur -> nilambur -> wandoor -> pandikkad -> perinthalmanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I did Bangalore-Nilambur few weeks back and the road condition is good. The section inside forest is smooth but there are speed breakers in almost ecery 500 meters.

Gudalur-Perinthalmanna also was in good condition when I did it two months back.
Only thing which I cant say is which option is better for Nilambur-Perinthalmanna
- the one via Wandoor or
- the one via Melatoor.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 11:16   #3954
Senior - BHPian
 
vasoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,031
Thanked: 207 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

I am planning a trip to Kottayam on 25th August. Anybody recently went through the Madurai > Theni route? How are the road conditions?
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 11:31   #3955
BHPian
 
lateshnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 46
Thanked: 6 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Only thing which I cant say is which option is better for Nilambur-Perinthalmanna
- the one via Wandoor or
- the one via Melatoor.
I have never travelled via Melatoor. My usual route to Perinthalmanna is
Nilambur -> Wandoor -> Pandikkad -> Pattikkad -> Perinthalmanna

Above is shorter when compared to Nilambur - perinthalmanna via Melatoor.
lateshnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 11:48   #3956
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,483
Thanked: 8,373 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateshnair View Post
Above is shorter when compared to Nilambur - perinthalmanna via Melatoor.
I travelled the Melatoor route more than a year back. The road all the way up to Nilambur from Perinthalmanna was brilliant and scenic.
And yes it is longer by 20km.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 10:09   #3957
BHPian
 
pramodpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 996
Thanked: 447 Times
Default NH 47 - Kuthiran Update

Manorama news reports that tarring has started in Kuthiran. For those who read Malayalam, here is the link.

Manorama News
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 10:43   #3958
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,726
Thanked: 822 Times
Default Re: NH 47 - Kuthiran Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Manorama news reports that tarring has started in Kuthiran. For those who read Malayalam, here is the link.

Manorama News
Tender for tunnelling through Kuthiran has been awarded to Prakruthi Constructions. This company was involved in tunneling work in KRCL and MPEW (Mumbai-Pune Expressway) also. They will build two tunnels, having 6 lanes in total. The work is expected to commence soon - and will be completed in 6 months. It seems that the environment ministry has accorded its clearance.

News from Malayala Manorama.
binaiks is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 11:57   #3959
BHPian
 
manojas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 70
Thanked: 17 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I am planning a trip to Kottayam on 25th August. Anybody recently went through the Madurai > Theni route? How are the road conditions?
Same question here.
Hearing the Kuthiran stories, I am afraid to travel through NH-47 as I will be travelling with 2 small kids.

The alternative for me is via Dindigul - theni and then to Kothamangalam via Bodi. Any updates on this route is greatly appreciated.
manojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 13:53   #3960
BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 766
Thanked: 582 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojas View Post
Same question here.
Hearing the Kuthiran stories, I am afraid to travel through NH-47 as I will be travelling with 2 small kids.

The alternative for me is via Dindigul - theni and then to Kothamangalam via Bodi. Any updates on this route is greatly appreciated.
Perhaps the most decent alternative would be to take the Mysore- Gudalur - Nilambur - Trichur road. Traffic would be sparse on a weekday all the way till Nilambur if you start early, and moreover the drive would be very scenic, kids would surely enjoy if you are lucky to spot some wildlife in Bandipur/Mudumalai forest roads. Distance wise, it is shorter by around 50-70 Kms compared to the traditional Hosur-Salem-Palakkad route.

The route is like this:
Bangalore-Mandya-Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Mudumalai-Gudalur-Nadugani-Nilambur-Pandikkad-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Shornur-Trichur(mannuthy)-Angamali-Perumbavoor-Muvattupuzha-Kottayam.

Here is the google map link:
https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...ia=1,2&t=m&z=7

Remember, there is night ban on the route from Gundlupet to Gudalur
sandsun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks