Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2012, 14:34   #3961
Senior - BHPian
 
vasoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,031
Thanked: 207 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojas View Post
Same question here.
Hearing the Kuthiran stories, I am afraid to travel through NH-47 as I will be travelling with 2 small kids.

The alternative for me is via Dindigul - theni and then to Kothamangalam via Bodi. Any updates on this route is greatly appreciated.
Dindigul > Theni route is completely avoidable as found in my last trip and also as mentioned by others here. I have not tried the Madurai > Theni route. Hence the query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Perhaps the most decent alternative would be to take the Mysore- Gudalur - Nilambur - Trichur road. Traffic would be sparse on a weekday all the way till Nilambur if you start early, and moreover the drive would be very scenic, kids would surely enjoy if you are lucky to spot some wildlife in Bandipur/Mudumalai forest roads. ...
I woud have taken this route if I am going to Thrissur or neighborhood. To Kottayam, this will take a long time and I prefer driving the least in Kerala during day time.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 03:53   #3962
BHPian
 
robimahanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: BLR/GAU
Posts: 611
Thanked: 1,575 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Guys need some help on the Madurai-Kollam route.
Which is the best route (road wise)? Driving times approx. on the shenkottai route?

Any help would be appreciated.
robimahanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 07:52   #3963
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Guys need some help on the Madurai-Kollam route.
Which is the best route (road wise)? Driving times approx. on the shenkottai route?

Any help would be appreciated.
You should take 4-5 hours from Madurai to Kollam via Rajapalayam, Tenkasi & Tenmala. You can face dense traffic in some sectors, and have to navigate Rajapalayam town, but road is otherwise peaceful to drive on - and very scenic after the rains.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 17:58   #3964
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 469
Thanked: 159 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Perhaps the most decent alternative would be to take the Mysore- Gudalur - Nilambur - Trichur road.
Only problem with this route would be like a heavy downpour overnight could trigger landslides. Last monsoon when I drove through this strech, remember passing through two small landslides but it was being cleared hence no delays.
sansvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 19:10   #3965
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 228
Thanked: 65 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

What is the best route from Kozhikode to Coorg ? And what is the condition of the roads? Thanks in advance
Rameshdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 20:58   #3966
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,607
Thanked: 8,603 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojas View Post
Same question here.
Hearing the Kuthiran stories, I am afraid to travel through NH-47 as I will be travelling with 2 small kids.
If you want to take the CBE side and still avoid Kuthiran/Walayar, the best option to Kottayam is :

Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollegode-Alathur-Pazhyannur-Vadakkaachary-Trichur (bypass) - Angamaly-Muvattupuzha-Kottayam

Route link via Pollachi

This would add about 50 km extra. But mostly hassle free drive.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Dindigul > Theni route is completely avoidable as found in my last trip and also as mentioned by others here.
I have not tried the Madurai > Theni route. Hence the query.
Dindigul-Theni can be avoid and yet one can take this route to reach Kottayam:

- Drive till Kodai road. Exit NH7.
- Drive till Batlagundu. At Batlangundu, take the road to Andipatti (which is some where midway between Usilampatti and Theni.)
- Once your reach Theni bypass, take the Theni-Kottayam NH.

This is what I meant:
Modified Route via Dindigul

The distance here is about 630, which is almost the same as the earlier option.
However given an option I would prefer this route, as I think this might have lesser traffic.
Cannot say for sure though. Hence presenting both the options.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 23:06   #3967
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
What is the best route from Kozhikode to Coorg ? And what is the condition of the roads? Thanks in advance
One way would be to go via Vythiri, Kalpetta, Manathavady, especially if you are going to south Coorg. The other would be to go via Kannur, Kasargod, Jalsoor & Sulya if you want to get to Madikeri direct
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 23:19   #3968
BHPian
 
manojas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 70
Thanked: 19 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
One way would be to go via Vythiri, Kalpetta, Manathavady, especially if you are going to south Coorg. The other would be to go via Kannur, Kasargod, Jalsoor & Sulya if you want to get to Madikeri direct
Even for Madikeri, Mananthavady - Tholpetty - Kutta - Virajpet - Madikeri route is a better option. This is far shorter that the Kasargod route.
manojas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 06:05   #3969
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 40
Thanked: 6 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
What is the best route from Kozhikode to Coorg ? And what is the condition of the roads? Thanks in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
One way would be to go via Vythiri, Kalpetta, Manathavady, especially if you are going to south Coorg. The other would be to go via Kannur, Kasargod, Jalsoor & Sulya if you want to get to Madikeri direct
How about the following route - wouldn't it be shorter?

Kozhikode - Thalassery - Virajpet (and onwards to Madikeri).

Some of the Calicut - Bangalore private buses used to take this route. However, I am not aware of the road conditions especially with the recent happenings in Iritty area.
sajidclt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 06:10   #3970
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajidclt View Post
How about the following route - wouldn't it be shorter?

Kozhikode - Thalassery - Virajpet (and onwards to Madikeri).

Some of the Calicut - Bangalore private buses used to take this route. However, I am not aware of the road conditions especially with the recent happenings in Iritty area.
Also fine, you can take the Talaserry-Mattanur-Iritti-Virajpet route, as you say above.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 09:28   #3971
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,616
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajidclt View Post
However, I am not aware of the road conditions especially with the recent happenings in Iritty area.
Could you please advise what happened recently in Iritty?Thanks
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 09:38   #3972
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,089
Thanked: 588 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Could you please advise what happened recently in Iritty?Thanks
The Iritty to Virajpet highway was blocked for a few days a couple of weeks ago due to some monsoon related road damage. As per reports in the Bangalore-Kannur thread, this has now been repaired and is open to traffic. Not sure about road conditions though.

Also there were some flooding issues reported from Iritty some 10 days back. Even that has been cleared now. As per locals in Iritty the flooding occurred because a shutter in the Pazhassi dam couldn't be opened due to a malfunction when the water level rose due to heavy rains. I passed along those flood-affected roads (Iritty-Srikantapuram-Taliparamba road) last Sunday, and the road was in pretty decent condition.
kala is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 11:23   #3973
BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 777
Thanked: 596 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Could you please advise what happened recently in Iritty?Thanks
Iritty town and adjoining areas were inundated few days ago due to heavy rains. Pazhassi dam, downstream of the river which flows beside Iritty town literally overflowed since it's shutters could not be opened. Also, there were road damages near Makutta, on Iritty-Virajpet road. These have now been repaired and traffic has been restored, as per reports.
Situation is now normal and all roads are open.

Telicherry-Iritty-Virajpet road is in very good condition. Do take left from Perumpadi check post and proceed towards Virajpet town-Madikeri. Avoid Virajpet byepass! It is in shambles.

EDIT: Sorry, did not notice Kala's post no: 3946. Repeated the information! Apologies

Last edited by sandsun7 : 16th August 2012 at 11:25.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 12:10   #3974
BHPian
 
sj_koova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 600
Thanked: 149 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you want to take the CBE side and still avoid Kuthiran/Walayar, the best option to Kottayam is :

Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollegode-Alathur-Pazhyannur-Vadakkaachary-Trichur (bypass) - Angamaly-Muvattupuzha-Kottayam

Route link via Pollachi

This would add about 50 km extra. But mostly hassle free drive.

Is Pollachi-Kollegode safe in the night?

I plan to start from Bangalore at 2PM tomorrow and may be covering this stretch between 8-10PM I guess.

Will be there any hassle at check post after dark?

I have a GPS, so finding the route in the night will not be a problem.
sj_koova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 12:19   #3975
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,616
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Is Pollachi-Kollegode safe in the night?

I plan to start from Bangalore at 2PM tomorrow and may be covering this stretch between 8-10PM I guess.

Will be there any hassle at check post after dark?

I have a GPS, so finding the route in the night will not be a problem.

Absolutely no safety issues.The CP wouldnt even bother unless there is some specific checking in progress.With a 2pm departure from BLR,you should expect to reach CBE by 8pm,Pollachi by 9,Kollengode is another 45mins from Pollachi,Alathur in 30mins from Kollengode,Pazhyannur in 30mins from Alathur,Wadakancheri in 75mins from Pazhyannur,Thrissur in 40mins from Wadakancheri.
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks