Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2012, 13:57   #4096
BHPian
 
gadadhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 790
Thanked: 210 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Did Bangalore - Cochin on Sep 1st and back on Sep 3rd through NH 47 - Walayar and Kuthiran. Roads are bad as mentioned in the thread, but time taken was close to 2hrs less than what I took 2 weeks back using Ottapalam - Pallakka - Pollachi - Perundurai route. Potholes are filled with mud and rubbles in TN side before Walayar, its fine to drive till it holds. No work is happening in Kuthiran, but with some patience and luck, you can manage without rubbing the belly of a sedan with even low GC
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 14:06   #4097
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,721
Thanked: 819 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Did Bangalore - Cochin on Sep 1st and back on Sep 3rd through NH 47 - Walayar and Kuthiran. Roads are bad as mentioned in the thread, but time taken was close to 2hrs less than what I took 2 weeks back using Ottapalam - Pallakka - Pollachi - Perundurai route. Potholes are filled with mud and rubbles in TN side before Walayar, its fine to drive till it holds. No work is happening in Kuthiran, but with some patience and luck, you can manage without rubbing the belly of a sedan with even low GC
Going through Pollachi only adds to the time - it is seriously not worth the effort.

Its much better to stick to Thrissur-Ottapalam-Palakkad-Walayar. The Pattikad-Alathur section is more or less inexistent - I traveled in the route on a bus yesterday (sitting at the first seat in KSRTC). It was dark by the time the bus approached the ghats - and the driver did struggle a lot to avoid the "pits" (I'd call them "pits", not "potholes"). Took a couple of videos - will upload it later. The bus took close to three hours for Thrissur-Palakkad run (usual run time is only 2 hrs)
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 16:04   #4098
BHPian
 
gandalf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 93
Thanked: 22 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Hi All
I had travelled almost a year ago to kerala and the stretch from Selam to Coiambatore was under construction. I thought it would be over by now but by reading the posts in the previous 3 pages it seems that the work is still going on or rather stopped. PLease correct me if i am wrong
gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 17:56   #4099
BHPian
 
gadadhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 790
Thanked: 210 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
Hi All
I had travelled almost a year ago to kerala and the stretch from Selam to Coiambatore was under construction. I thought it would be over by now but by reading the posts in the previous 3 pages it seems that the work is still going on or rather stopped. PLease correct me if i am wrong
Work is done till Avinashi and from there to Coiambatore is in progress.
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 20:51   #4100
BHPian
 
rajeshchand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 267
Thanked: 75 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
Hi All
I had travelled almost a year ago to kerala and the stretch from Selam to Coiambatore was under construction. I thought it would be over by now but by reading the posts in the previous 3 pages it seems that the work is still going on or rather stopped. PLease correct me if i am wrong
Work in progress is for about 25 kms before Coimbatore, rest is a smooth run from Salem.
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 21:48   #4101
BHPian
 
Rossiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 117
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Simple comparison: Chengapalli - Vadakkencherry via Coimbatore-Walayar took me almost 3 hrs and 15 min last weekend. On the way back, Vadakkencherry to Chengapalli via Kollengode-Pollachi-Palladam-Tirupur took me exactly 2 hrs and 15 min. There's no way someone can call this route a waste of time! Besides, it was a smooth run devoid of all the crazy bus drivers trying to force an oncoming overtaking move
Rossiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 23:58   #4102
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH209
Posts: 1,607
Thanked: 700 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
On the way back, Vadakkencherry to Chengapalli via Kollengode-Pollachi-Palladam-Tirupur took me exactly 2 hrs and 15 min.
Vadakkencherry to Pollachi will take one hour minimum with no traffic blocks in Nemmara and Kollengode. Pollachi to Tirupur another 1:15 hour(Palladam 45 minutes, Tirupur 15 minute) and Tirupur to Chengapalli another 20 minute.

You must have done some very high speeds to get this sort of timing in a 2 lane road or did you travel at late night?
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 08:25   #4103
BHPian
 
Rossiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 117
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys

Vadakkencherry to Pollachi will take one hour minimum with no traffic blocks in Nemmara and Kollengode. Pollachi to Tirupur another 1:15 hour(Palladam 45 minutes, Tirupur 15 minute) and Tirupur to Chengapalli another 20 minute.

You must have done some very high speeds to get this sort of timing in a 2 lane road or did you travel at late night?
Not terribly high speeds.. Stuck to 90 km/h throughout, the roads and the traffic conditions allowed me to safely drive at that speed. I covered Vadakkencherry-Pollachi in about 50 min, Pollachi-Tirupur again under 1 hour and Chengapalli in 15 min. Got stuck in Pollachi slow moving traffic, and lost about 10 min there, but no headache as such. I left at 745 am and reached at 10 am.

They have fixed up a lot of bad patches near Uthukuli and near the KL-TN border, since the last time I used this route in December 2011.

I don't mind if this route takes even half an hour or 45 minutes more, I'd still prefer this over the normal route, simply because it is easier to drive through, both for me and the car.
Rossiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 08:59   #4104
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,353
Thanked: 8,169 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
I don't mind if this route takes even half an hour or 45 minutes more, I'd still prefer this over the normal route, simply because it is easier to drive through, both for me and the car.
I think the route via Pollachi may not gain time in a big way, but more importantly, you
would rarely lose time than, what one would have accounted for.

Its mostly predictable (excluding crossing Pollachi). And also its nicer to drive through this section.
Not sure about uncertainties at Kollengode.

Last edited by ampere : 5th September 2012 at 09:04.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 09:36   #4105
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 2,675
Thanked: 961 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Completed the Palakkad-Masinagudi stretch as per route given by Srikanth. Roads are largely good except in and around Manjeri. Will be taking the Masinagui-Ooty-Cbe stretch tomorrow. Could you guys advise if Mettupalayam road into the city is in good shape ?
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 10:20   #4106
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,881
Thanked: 1,487 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Oh lord, when will there ever be a smooth road all the way to Cochin and back. I drive to Cochin once a year for Christmas vacation and it is always a tiring drive. Close to 12 hours on the road and a day lost. Is it better to drive via Battery (Bathery) -Calicut? Should take the same time and be a more involving drive, dangerous too.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 10:57   #4107
BHPian
 
pramodpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 971
Thanked: 434 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Oh lord, when will there ever be a smooth road all the way to Cochin and back. I drive to Cochin once a year for Christmas vacation and it is always a tiring drive. Close to 12 hours on the road and a day lost. Is it better to drive via Battery (Bathery) -Calicut? Should take the same time and be a more involving drive, dangerous too.
I drive to Vaikom 4 -5 times a year. By Christmas time, roads should be better.
pramodpk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 11:08   #4108
BHPian
 
jingaboysr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore, Cochin
Posts: 270
Thanked: 18 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Did a round trip from Bangalore to Cochin (N.Paravur) last week.

Onward Journey:
Route: Bangalore-> Mysore->Gudalur->Nilambur->Chavakkad->Kodungallur-> Paravur
Distance: 460kms
Road condition: Good all the way.
Started on 25th Aug early morning at 4AM from HSR Layout. Except for one, I could spot all the speed breakers in mysore road. (Next time, planning to try Kanakpura road). Reached Gundlupet for breakfast and we were at Nilambur by 10.30. And then the usual single lane kerala roads started. Adding to it the onam rush, it was around 2.30 PM by the time we reached home. The drive was very tiring and frustrating once you enter kerala roads.


Return Journey:
Route: N.Paravur -> Kodungallur -> irinjalakkuda -> thalore -> Mannuthy -> vadakkancherry -> pollachi -> tirupur -> chengapalli -> Bangalore
Distance: 520kms
Road condition: Bad between mannuthy and vadakkancherry, and good elsewhere. Kuthiran stretch is not as bad as I thought. (May be my perception of bad roads changed after I drove to Gavi from Pathanamthitta last week )

Stared on 2nd sept by around 1.30pm and reached bangalore by 11.pm. We were 3 cars driving together, and we took a lot of breaks. We also lost some time finding way inside Tirupur.

I'd prefer the normal route(SALEM-CBE-PALAKKAD-TRHISSUR) than any of these routes if you are looking for a shortest time.
jingaboysr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 11:34   #4109
Distinguished - BHPian
 
deetjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kochi
Posts: 3,895
Thanked: 6,667 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Is it better to drive via Battery (Bathery) -Calicut? Should take the same time and be a more involving drive, dangerous too.
We did the route ( Ernakulam - Thrissur - Kunnamkulam - Edappal - Valanchery - Kuttippuram - Kottakkal - Calicut bypass - Sulthan Bathery - Mysore - Bangalore) back in April. It takes time as there is traffic and one needs to stick to the speed limit. But if you're not in a hurry and bored with the usual CBE route, it is a very good drive.

Read more here. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2752134

Another great drive will be the NH 209 to reach CBE and then the Ottapalam route to reach Thrissur. The NH 209 is a great drive and free of tolls.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 14:42   #4110
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,881
Thanked: 1,487 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Another great drive will be the NH 209 to reach CBE and then the Ottapalam route to reach Thrissur. The NH 209 is a great drive and free of tolls.
Is this the Satyamangalam route to reach CBE? Always wanted to ride down this road as friends have only said good things about it.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks