Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2012, 20:49   #4366
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7
Also during inauguration/bhumipooja, the local MP has announced that another 16 crores has been allocated for the development of Handpost-sadgur road. This would be developed into an alternate route byepassing the national park completely (joining kerala via Palvelicham) and hence would be motorable even during night.
I'm not very sure about this. I don't think you can avoid the National Park area whichever route you take from the handpost. Can you post a gmap link for this route?
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 21:16   #4367
BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 755
Thanked: 567 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I'm not very sure about this. I don't think you can avoid the National Park area whichever route you take from the handpost. Can you post a gmap link for this route?
Not much details on the alignment of the proposed route were given in that article, but I clearly remember the proposal made a couple of months ago by some travel forums in Wayanad.
these two links could provide a clearer idea
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...-suggests.html

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...e-linking.html
Source: deccan herald
sandsun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 21:49   #4368
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 23
Thanked: 6 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Given that NH212 is bad, does it now make sense to take Gundlupet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Edvanna-Mavoor-Calicut route?

Though its narrow, how is the road condition?
The road is good. Nadukani Churam is deteriorating. Recently did a trip to Cochin through This route. I had rather recommend the S Bathery - Ambalavayal - Vaduvanchal - Chundale - Calicut route. I was able to keep a constant speed on this road, Though Not above 120. Average speed would be some where between 70 - 75
Gypsy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 22:05   #4369
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Not much details on the alignment of the proposed route were given in that article, but I clearly remember the proposal made a couple of months ago by some travel forums in Wayanad.
these two links could provide a clearer idea
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...-suggests.html

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...e-linking.html
Source: deccan herald
These links talk about the same route which you have provided the link for. Here is the full route mentioned in the articles.

http://goo.gl/maps/ImecW

This route does pass through Nagarhole National Park area (no way around it) but for a short distance. It also deviates to Palvelicham after crossing Bavali instead of continuing through the forest to Kattikulam.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 22:33   #4370
BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 755
Thanked: 567 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
This route does pass through Nagarhole National Park area (no way around it) but for a short distance. It also deviates to Palvelicham after crossing Bavali instead of continuing through the forest to Kattikulam.
But according to those reports, the distance through the National park is just 4 kms.

Quote:
wildlife experts contended that it was possible to construct an alternative road for at least 10 km out of the 14 km through the Park. Accordingly, a request was made to the KSHIP authorities to take up the work on the alternative route.
The prime reason why the KKT forum in Wayanad is pressing for this alignment is because it avoids most if the national park and hence could be opened to night traffic. They with the help of some experts had taken up a study and had proposed the realignment. I remember reading that few kms of fresh roads has to be laid and a bridge across Kabani has to be built near Byrankuppa for this road.

EDIT: found this now. Seems to be the same proposal :http://kaumudiglobal.com/printerpage.php?newsid=9066

Last edited by sandsun7 : 19th November 2012 at 22:47. Reason: added info
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 23:00   #4371
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
But according to those reports, the distance through the National park is just 4 kms.



The prime reason why the KKT forum in Wayanad is pressing for this alignment is because it avoids most if the national park and hence could be opened to night traffic. They with the help of some experts had taken up a study and had proposed the realignment. I remember reading that few kms of fresh roads has to be laid and a bridge across Kabani has to be built near Byrankuppa for this road.
I'm confused. I still don't see how they are going to avoid the forest. If you see the satellite view from google maps, the listed villages in the article are along the route in the link that I posted.

Lets wait and see.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 12:47   #4372
BHPian
 
fundagenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 447
Thanked: 398 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairalee View Post

On our return we took the Alapuzha, Changanaserry, Kumily, Munnar, Udumalaipettai, Dharapuram, Kangayam, Perundurai to Salem.

Except for about 20 kms of the roads inside the Annamalai Tiger reserve (Indira Gandhi National park), the rest of roads (mostly two laned) till Salem are butter smooth with well behaved traffic and adequate signages.


Planning to travel to Changanacherry this weekend. I have travelled via Palakkad as well as Theni. This time around was thinking of taking the above route. So how are the roads apart from the 20kms . Are they wide enough, cos during some of my trips I have taken routes trusting Google maps and had to encouter some really risky roads both in terms of its condition as well as narrowness, though Google maps would list them as some state or national highways.

Also I had noticed on the Salem-ernakulam highway, I could continue after Perundurai to Perumanallur, turn to Tiruppur and reach Udumalaipettai via Palladam and SH 97 (as shown by Google). So any idea how this route is and how it compares to the route provided above.

How is the Dindigul-Theni-Cumbum road. The last time I travelled on this route was 6-8 months back and then 80% of the Dindigul-theni stretch was undergoing road widening work, and we really lost a lot of time. So has the work completed. Again what is the current road condition from Theni - Cumbum .

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 14:19   #4373
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 886
Thanked: 276 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post



How is the Dindigul-Theni-Cumbum road. The last time I travelled on this route was 6-8 months back and then 80% of the Dindigul-theni stretch was undergoing road widening work, and we really lost a lot of time. So has the work completed. Again what is the current road condition from Theni - Cumbum .

FundaG
This route is the same with lot of work going on but drivable.I had driven a month back.
You tend to lose time as there are lot of diversions.
If you are still planning for this route then from Dindugal - Nilakottai - Batalagundu - Theni is a better option.
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 15:11   #4374
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BENGALURU
Posts: 122
Thanked: 59 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
roads apart from the 20kms ......

Perundurai to Perumanallur, turn to Tiruppur FundaG
Fundagenie, response two parts of your query.

It is not 20 kms, it is exactly 13 kms of poor roads in the Annaimalai / Chinnar area. Speeds will not be greater than 20 kmph and gear will rarely go above 2nd. Can be done by a low ground clearance vehicle too.

Tiruppur will take away a lot of traffic time and hence advisable to turn off at Perundurai.
pariwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 15:39   #4375
BHPian
 
Kairalee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 146
Thanked: 24 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
This time around was thinking of taking the above route. So how are the roads apart from the 20kms . Are they wide enough, cos during some of my trips I have taken routes trusting Google maps and had to encouter some really risky roads both in terms of its condition as well as narrowness, though Google maps would list them as some state or national highways.
Most of it is two laned but adequately wide enough with a good surface. Moreover, the traffic density is negligible so you can do some decent constant speeds, safely.
Kairalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 09:54   #4376
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 41
Thanked: 7 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Fundagenie, if you are planning to go via Munnar, you need not go till Kumily.

Take left from Kuttikanam (21 KMS after Mundakayam), the road will take you to Kattapana.. then follow road signs to take turn towards Munnar. It will save your 23 odd KMS.
fiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 19:53   #4377
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,721
Thanked: 816 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Any idea on the current status of Virajpet-Kutta-Mananthavady route? Suresh Kallada (Kallada Tours and Travels) has started a new Volvo multi-axle servie through that route to Kozhikode, from Bangalore. (Bangalore-Ernakulam via Mysore, Kozhikode, Guruvayur, Kodungallur). Is the road in good state?
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 20:14   #4378
BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 755
Thanked: 567 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Any idea on the current status of Virajpet-Kutta-Mananthavady route? Suresh Kallada (Kallada Tours and Travels) has started a new Volvo multi-axle servie through that route to Kozhikode, from Bangalore. (Bangalore-Ernakulam via Mysore, Kozhikode, Guruvayur, Kodungallur). Is the road in good state?
Binai are you sure about the route? because Mysore to Kozhikode can be done either through Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet-Iritty-Telicherry-Vadakara route or through Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Ponnampet-Srimangala-Kutta-Manathavady-Kalpetta route (assuming it is a night service) So Virajpet-Kutta-Mananthavady does not look right.
About the roads, the former one is in horrible condition from Hunsur to Virajpet and latter as heard from locals, bad from Hunsur to Kerala border (5km after Kutta). However, I had driven upto Iruppu falls last week from Kutta, around 6 kms on the route to Gonikoppal and found around 2-3 kms (intermittently) excellently relaid.
sandsun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 21:35   #4379
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 38
Thanked: 10 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Pala - Ponkunnam is in good shape. I went last month.

The road I took was Tripunithura - Piravom - Koothattukulam - Uzhavoor - Pala - Ponkunam. The Uzhavoor stretch, though narrow is absolutely amazing to drive.
Thanks for this input. Do we have any decent restaurant on this way?
psvinay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:36   #4380
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,721
Thanked: 816 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Binai are you sure about the route? because Mysore to Kozhikode can be done either through Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet-Iritty-Telicherry-Vadakara route or through Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Ponnampet-Srimangala-Kutta-Manathavady-Kalpetta route (assuming it is a night service) So Virajpet-Kutta-Mananthavady does not look right.
My bad. It was Gonikoppa that I meant. The bus is via Hunsur-Gonikoppa-Kutta-MDY. Since they are sending a multi-axle bus this way, I guess the road is in fairly motorable shape.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks