Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:35   #4396
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 188
Thanked: 115 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Oops, My bad! I read your name as Ananthu (not Anant U) which is a popular malayali name, in fact a kind of petname ! Anyways I do read those pages I mentioned on a regular basis everyday morning and will update you if there is anything to be careful about. When is your trip?
Thanks for that Will be waiting for your update.

I am planning to leave B'lore by 5 AM on saturday and be back on Sunday. Just for a day
anantu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 18:15   #4397
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 87
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantu2001 View Post
Hi,

We are planning to go to Wayanad this weekend. What would be the best route in terms of distance and road quality??

The resort where we have booked has suggested this route:

From Bangalore > Mysore> Hunsur > Nagerhole > Pepper Green Resorts

Please suggest if this route is OK.

Regards,
Anant
Hi Anant,

This depends on where in Waynad u want to go. The route you have indicated is the best to enter Waynad from the North (Tholpetty/Thirunelli).
However, if you want to enter Waynad from the South, the Mysore-Guldulpet-Sulthan Battery road is the best . Shorter and faster too(forest is closed between 8.00 pm and 6.00 am) .

Simply put, if your final destination is north of Manathavady, take the Nagarhole route. If it is south of Manathavady, take the Sulthan Battery route !

Best of course, if you want to explore Waynad fully, enter from north and exit from south. Pure bliss !
Whatever u do, don't ever take the SH33

Venu
SAPVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:24   #4398
BHPian
 
dhanushmenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: KL-2/KL-7/AP-31
Posts: 856
Thanked: 2,337 Times
Default

Will be starting from Mysore to kochi tomorrow. Initially I had planned to Come through gundlupet-gudalur-meppadi-thamarassery-calicut-kochi as advised by hvkumar. However going through the report of gypsy, the S Bathery - Ambalavayal - Vaduvanchal - Chundale - Calicut route looks coaxing enough. In double mind now
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:27   #4399
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,607
Thanked: 8,603 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Will be starting from Mysore to kochi tomorrow. Initially I had planned to Come through gundlupet-gudalur-meppadi-thamarassery-calicut-kochi as advised by hvkumar. However going through the report of gypsy, the S Bathery - Ambalavayal - Vaduvanchal - Chundale - Calicut route looks coaxing enough. In double mind now
If Kochy is the destination, why Calicut? Should'nt Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Trichur-Ernakulam would be a better option?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:30   #4400
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,011
Thanked: 463 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

If Kochy is the destination, why Calicut? Should'nt Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Trichur-Ernakulam would be a better option?
Yes. This is better and shorter too.
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:46   #4401
BHPian
 
dhanushmenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: KL-2/KL-7/AP-31
Posts: 856
Thanked: 2,337 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If Kochy is the destination, why Calicut? Should'nt Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Trichur-Ernakulam would be a better option?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Yes. This is better and shorter too.
I was told that the nadugaani road is bad. That was the reason why i diverted to the Sulthan Bathery road. If anyone has travelled via this road recently, the update will be of great help
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:50   #4402
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,607
Thanked: 8,603 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
I was told that the nadugaani road is bad. That was the reason why i diverted to the Sulthan Bathery road. If anyone has travelled via this road recently, the update will be of great help
Nadugani is bad. But I think its not that bad that you need to go via Calicut.
Its just 4-5km of bad stretch I think. Rest all are absolutely good roads.

Pramod can throw more light as he drove recently on that very stretch.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 22:14   #4403
BHPian
 
noblecr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cochin
Posts: 38
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Travelling from Trivandrum to Kannur

I am traveling from Kazhakuttam to Karuvanchal near Thalipparambu, Kannur tomorrow night. Would like to know about the road condition. Planned to travel via

Kollam - Alleppey - Ekm - North Paravoor - Kodungallor - Chavakad - Kunnamkulam - Edappal - Kuttipuram - Valanchery - Kottakal - Calicut University - Ramanattukara byepass - Mahe - Thalassery - Kannur - Thalipparambu.

How is the current road condition from Kodungallor to Kannur. Is there any alternate way other than NH17. Heard that there is a new bridge opened near Ponnani which reduces the distance between Chavakad and Kozhikode.?

Saw some re tarring works happening in Kayamkulam - Haripad stretch last week when i came back to tvm from ekm.
noblecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 22:45   #4404
BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 777
Thanked: 596 Times
Default Re: Travelling from Trivandrum to Kannur

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblecr View Post
Kollam - Alleppey - Ekm - North Paravoor - Kodungallor - Chavakad - Kunnamkulam - Edappal - Kuttipuram - Valanchery - Kottakal - Calicut University - Ramanattukara byepass - Mahe - Thalassery - Kannur - Thalipparambu.

How is the current road condition from Kodungallor to Kannur. Is there any alternate way other than NH17. Heard that there is a new bridge opened near Ponnani which reduces the distance between Chavakad and Kozhikode.?
Guess this would be the best route currently except that from Ernakulam, It would be good to go via Ankamaly, Thrissur and join Kunnamkulam instead of going via N paravoor-Kodungallur. Roads are good except for few patches here and there. Ernakulam-Thrissur stretch is arguably the best national highway in the state currently with 4 lane all the way and with bypasses for most towns.
The new bridge is the Chamravattom bridge, but I strongly advice you to avoid that route as the roads are in bad condition near Ponnani. Repair work is being done, but not yet completed. Moreover, the stretch from Ponnani to Edappally (EKM) is narrow and you would find heavy traffic during daytime.
sandsun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 23:18   #4405
BHPian
 
DieselLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kochi
Posts: 358
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

Nadugani is bad. But I think its not that bad that you need to go via Calicut.
Its just 4-5km of bad stretch I think. Rest all are absolutely good roads.

Pramod can throw more light as he drove recently on that very stretch.
I took this route last week. Nadugani is bad but driveable. can make it easily with some careful driving.
DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:12   #4406
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 188
Thanked: 115 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Hi Anant,

This depends on where in Waynad u want to go. The route you have indicated is the best to enter Waynad from the North (Tholpetty/Thirunelli).
However, if you want to enter Waynad from the South, the Mysore-Guldulpet-Sulthan Battery road is the best . Shorter and faster too(forest is closed between 8.00 pm and 6.00 am) .

Simply put, if your final destination is north of Manathavady, take the Nagarhole route. If it is south of Manathavady, take the Sulthan Battery route !

Best of course, if you want to explore Waynad fully, enter from north and exit from south. Pure bliss !
Whatever u do, don't ever take the SH33

Venu
Thanks Venu for the suggestions. As you have mentioned I'll be staying in http://peppergreenresorts.com/index.html. This resort is very near to Kuruva Island and is best entered from the north via Nagarhole.

In fact, there is a change in plan. We would be leaving to Mysore today and staying overnight. Tomorrow morning would leave from Mysore towards the resort. On the way, we plan to go to Irupu falls which is very close to Kutta. Any idea if there is any entry timings to visit Irupu falls?

Regards,
Anant
anantu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:25   #4407
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,011
Thanked: 463 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nadugani is bad. But I think its not that bad that you need to go via Calicut.
Its just 4-5km of bad stretch I think. Rest all are absolutely good roads.

Pramod can throw more light as he drove recently on that very stretch.
Nadugani had some craters along the curves but those can be easily negotiated. I recommend this route. This will be much shorter than the Calicut route.
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:38   #4408
BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 777
Thanked: 596 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantu2001 View Post
On the way, we plan to go to Irupu falls which is very close to Kutta. Any idea if there is any entry timings to visit Irupu falls?
Iruppu falls plan is a very good one! Had been there on 13th November. Sorry, but don't remember the entry timings. Let me check my photos and see if any of the boards have it. One has to do a bit of climbing (steps) to reach the falls. Nothing very difficult, but aged people might find it tiring. If you enjoy taking a bath under a waterfall, this is the perfect place!
When you start from Mysore, plan in a such a way that you are at the forest entry gate by 6 - 6.30 AM, that is almost immediately after it opens. This would give you loads of wildlife sightings!
sandsun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:43   #4409
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 188
Thanked: 115 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
When you start from Mysore, plan in a such a way that you are at the forest entry gate by 6 - 6.30 AM, that is almost immediately after it opens. This would give you loads of wildlife sightings!
This is a great suggestion. But my only concern is if there is any entry timing for the Irupu falls, I will be reaching there in advance. Its my first time on this route, so just for my understanding - How long will it take from Mysore to Irupu falls? The distance is 108 kms. 2.5 hrs?

Regards,
Anant

Last edited by anantu2001 : 23rd November 2012 at 09:46.
anantu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:52   #4410
Distinguished - BHPian
 
deetjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kochi
Posts: 4,049
Thanked: 7,385 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by psvinay View Post
Thanks for this input. Do we have any decent restaurant on this way?
For restaurants, you do have many options in Tripunithura. But I have no idea about the service or the food. Tripunithura to Ponkunam will take you just under 2 hours on road.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks