Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2012, 10:01   #4546
BHPian
 
motor_breathing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 183
Thanked: 77 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Within Kerala there is I think only one best option:

Pollachi-Kollegode-Alathur-Wadakkacherry-Trichur Bypass-Angamaly-Kaladi.

Pollachi to Kalady
For the pollachi route, In google maps there is a Vadakkancherry and a Wadakkacherry.
The route Pollachi-Kollegode-Alathur-Vadakkacherry-Trichur seems shorter.
Could you please clarify. I have to travel all way the till Pandalam from Banaswadi and thinking of avoiding CBE and the dreaded Kuthiran section.

Regards, MB
motor_breathing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 10:20   #4547
BHPian
 
denver85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 195
Thanked: 223 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
For the pollachi route, In google maps there is a Vadakkancherry and a Wadakkacherry.
The route Pollachi-Kollegode-Alathur-Vadakkacherry-Trichur seems shorter.
Could you please clarify. I have to travel all way the till Pandalam from Banaswadi and thinking of avoiding CBE and the dreaded Kuthiran section.

Regards, MB
The Vadakkanchery-Trichur (Mannuthy) is one of the worst stretches(Kuthiran) in NH 47. By going through Koolengode-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Chelakkara-Wadakanchery-Thrissur, you will add an extra 20kms to your drive. If you would have taken both these routes, you will never worry about the extra 20 kms and 15-20 minutes. This is the best route to avoid all the hiccups in NH47.
Regards,
Deepak
denver85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 10:38   #4548
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Guruvayoor to Bangalore : Which Route is with good roads

Need help on route to drive back from Guruvayoor to Bangalore starting at 10AM.

Prefer good roads with less traffic, distance/ghat section is not an issue.
manjubp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 11:02   #4549
BHPian
 
Sathya_sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 522
Thanked: 637 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Thanks guys.. I have decided to take..

Chennai - Villupuram - Ulundurpet - Selam - Perundurai - Kangayam - Palladam - Pollachi - Kollengodu - Alathur - Pazhayanur - Chelakkara - Wadakkanchery - Mannuthy - Kalady

and follow the same return route.. Thanks guys.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Nice and Thank you. I can use some guidance for pit stops for breakfast and lunch on this route as it is unfamiliar to me. Going by my planned 4am departure time from Bangalore, Salem sounds like it for breakfast.

As you have past experience driving down this road, can you tell me what speeds are possible after Perundurai.

The only thing left to worry about is dealing with long queues at toll booths.

Sandeep, I believe you are also taking the same route. Once done can yo update status of the route pls?
Sathya_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 11:15   #4550
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,879
Thanked: 1,484 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Sandeep, I believe you are also taking the same route. Once done can yo update status of the route pls?
Yes I am but it is only on Saturday, 12/22/2012, and I may respond only by Saturday evening.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 11:27   #4551
BHPian
 
Sathya_sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 522
Thanked: 637 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Yes I am but it is only on Saturday, 12/22/2012, and I may respond only by Saturday evening.
No problems at all. I am doing this route only by 27th Dec. So any tips before that will help Sandeep.
Sathya_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 11:38   #4552
BHPian
 
pramodpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 970
Thanked: 433 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
For the pollachi route, In google maps there is a Vadakkancherry and a Wadakkacherry.
The route Pollachi-Kollegode-Alathur-Vadakkacherry-Trichur seems shorter.
Could you please clarify. I have to travel all way the till Pandalam from Banaswadi and thinking of avoiding CBE and the dreaded Kuthiran section.

Regards, MB
For Pandalam, I would recommend, Bangalore - Salem - Madurai( bypass) - Rajapalayam - Thenmala - Punalur - Pathanapuram - Pandalam route. This would be shorter and faster.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 11:38   #4553
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,567
Thanked: 1,686 Times
Default Re: Guruvayoor to Bangalore : Which Route is with good roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Need help on route to drive back from Guruvayoor to Bangalore starting at 10AM.

Prefer good roads with less traffic, distance/ghat section is not an issue.
IMO,this one:

Guruvayur-Perumpilavu-Pattambi-Kulappully-Shoranur-Ottapalam-Palakkad-Chandranagar-NH47-Kootupatha-Pollachi-Palladam-Perundurai-NH47-Salem-NH7-Krishnagiri-Bangalore.

http://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...via=7&t=m&z=11

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
For the pollachi route, In google maps there is a Vadakkancherry and a Wadakkacherry.
The route Pollachi-Kollegode-Alathur-Vadakkacherry-Trichur seems shorter.
Could you please clarify. I have to travel all way the till Pandalam from Banaswadi and thinking of avoiding CBE and the dreaded Kuthiran section.
I would second Pramod's suggestion that driving via Palakkad can be quite time consuming for you to reach Pandalam.The Punalur route would be a quicker option for you.

Also just to avoid confusion:Vadakkencheri is on the NH47 between Palakkad and Mannuthy and Wadakancheri is on the Shoranur-Thrissur route.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 19th December 2012 at 11:45.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 12:22   #4554
BHPian
 
A350XWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BLR/FRA/STR
Posts: 777
Thanked: 498 Times
Default Re: Guruvayoor to Bangalore : Which Route is with good roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
For Pandalam, I would recommend, Bangalore - Salem - Madurai( bypass) - Rajapalayam - Thenmala - Punalur - Pathanapuram - Pandalam route. This would be shorter and faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I would second Pramod's suggestion that driving via Palakkad can be quite time consuming for you to reach Pandalam.The Punalur route would be a quicker option for you.
My hometown is Pathanamthitta and I usually take the Dindigul-Theni-Cumbum-Kumily route. According to Google, the Rajapalayam-Thenmala-Punalur route is ~673km and Theni-Cumbum-Kumily route is ~623km. I live 2km away from NICE road, on Bannerghatta road. From door to door, its 623km for me, including bypasses for road widening work between Dindigul-Theni-Cumbum. I could do this travel in 10 and half hours flat, with 2-breaks and speeds never exceeding 110kmph. Pandalam is another 15km from my hometown and I suggest this route, rather than going via Thenmala.

Last edited by A350XWB : 19th December 2012 at 12:27.
A350XWB is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 13:51   #4555
BHPian
 
motor_breathing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 183
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Re: Guruvayoor to Bangalore : Which Route is with good roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
My hometown is Pathanamthitta and I usually take the Dindigul-Theni-Cumbum-Kumily route. According to Google, the Rajapalayam-Thenmala-Punalur route is ~673km and Theni-Cumbum-Kumily route is ~623km. I live 2km away from NICE road, on Bannerghatta road. From door to door, its 623km for me, including bypasses for road widening work between Dindigul-Theni-Cumbum. I could do this travel in 10 and half hours flat, with 2-breaks and speeds never exceeding 110kmph. Pandalam is another 15km from my hometown and I suggest this route, rather than going via Thenmala.
Few times I have taken Pandalam -> Chenganacherry -> Thengana -> Kumily -> BLR. Because of the winding roads better half and my son had motion sickness. Also I did not gain much of an advantage in this route against the normal Pandalam -> Alapuzha -> CBE -> BLR route.

How is the stretch from Dindigul to Vandiperiyar ?

TIA, MB.
motor_breathing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 14:40   #4556
BHPian
 
A350XWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BLR/FRA/STR
Posts: 777
Thanked: 498 Times
Default Re: Guruvayoor to Bangalore : Which Route is with good roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
Few times I have taken Pandalam -> Chenganacherry -> Thengana -> Kumily -> BLR. Because of the winding roads better half and my son had motion sickness. Also I did not gain much of an advantage in this route against the normal Pandalam -> Alapuzha -> CBE -> BLR route.
How is the stretch from Dindigul to Vandiperiyar ?
Yes, agree to the winding road part. But you can take it a bit slow

But for Pandalam, you don't have to go through Changanassery and KK road. From Kumily, you can take KK road till about half a kilometer before Mundakkayam. From here, there is a deviation to the left which goes to Erumely. From there on, you can take the Makkapuzha-Ranni-Pathanamthitta-Pandalam route (Route). This is about 117km according to Google. The Changanassery route is around 147km.

Beware of Sabarimala traffic in both the routes during this time though.

Dindigul to Cumbum, there is road widening work going on. But you can bypass most of it by going through Kodai road-Batlagundu-Cumbum (Route). The roads from Kumily till Mundakkayam were mostly good, with some patches which were being filled for the Sabarimala season. So, it should mostly be in good condition, but expect patchy stretches, not too bad.
A350XWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 22:06   #4557
BHPian
 
arjithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BGLR/Chalakudy
Posts: 812
Thanked: 658 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
The Vadakkanchery-Trichur (Mannuthy) is one of the worst stretches(Kuthiran) in NH 47. By going through Koolengode-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Chelakkara-Wadakanchery-Thrissur, you will add an extra 20kms to your drive. If you would have taken both these routes, you will never worry about the extra 20 kms and 15-20 minutes. This is the best route to avoid all the hiccups in NH47.
Regards,
Deepak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Thanks guys.. I have decided to take..

Chennai - Villupuram - Ulundurpet - Selam - Perundurai - Kangayam - Palladam - Pollachi - Kollengodu - Alathur - Pazhayanur - Chelakkara - Wadakkanchery - Mannuthy - Kalady
Not to confuse you anymore Sathya_sc, but thought I will share my view. I am from Thrissur area. I drove from Bangalore to Thrissur on Dec 8th in an IndigoCS. The road between Kuthiran to Pattikkad is bad, but its only for some 12km. Its certainly drive able road. I covered the 27 km distance from Wadakkumchery to Mannuthy in around 45 mts. Within this stretch, do not go beyond 60kmph, BIG potholes may appear from no where.
I suggest you make your decision to take the diversion of Alathur - Pazhayanur - Chelakkara - Wadakkanchery - Mannuthy depending on what time you arrive at Alathur. If you are reaching Alathur after 8 AM and before 7 PM, you will encounter heavy traffic in this route. Net net, you may save some potholes, but will drive 59 km instead of 39 km in heavy traffic and will end up spending more time.

I will stick to Alathur - Mannuthy NH anytime than the Pazhayanur - Chelakkara - Wadakkanchery route.

I saw road repair preparations going on when I traveled. When you reach Alathur, ask the locals or vehicles coming from Mannuthy side about the road conditions and take a decision accordingly.
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 23:16   #4558
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 70
Thanked: 19 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijujj View Post
I am planning to drive from Chennai to Kottayam and am planning to take the above mentioned route. I have couple of queries.

1.How is the traffic condition now? Is there any traffic jam near Kumali due to Sabarimala season.
2. How is the road condition? Is there any stretch between Dindigul to Kumali that I should avoid.
3. Since I am travelling with family, it will be helpful to know the best places/hotels to take break after Trichy.
4. If I start at 5:30 AM, typically when can I expect to reach Kottayam

Thanks lot
Biju
I saw lot of useful suggestions in the thread, thanks for the same. Have one more query.

Since I am driving down from Chennai, which of the following will be better
a.) Chennai ->Trichy->Dindigul->(deviation via Vaigai, Kanavilakku)->Theni
b.) Chennai -> Trichy -Madurai->Theni

I know the distance is less for option a.), but considering the road-widening, would be b.) be a better option?
bijujj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2012, 07:13   #4559
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,879
Thanked: 1,484 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I will stick to Alathur - Mannuthy NH anytime than the Pazhayanur - Chelakkara - Wadakkanchery route.
Why so? Are you suggesting this as a distance and time saving measure or is there something wrong with the Pazhayanur - Wadakkanchery route?
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2012, 08:24   #4560
BHPian
 
arjithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BGLR/Chalakudy
Posts: 812
Thanked: 658 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Why so? Are you suggesting this as a distance and time saving measure or is there something wrong with the Pazhayanur - Wadakkanchery route?
To me, the Kuthiran section is not that bad to take a diversion for Pazhaannur/Wadakkanchery and cover the extra distance/traffic/time.

Occasionally very long traffic jams happens at Kuthiran. I normally take a break at Wadakkumchery in my trips (Diana hotel or a veg hotel 50 meter away). The best way to identify the jams is to ask locals at Wadakkumchery and observe if interstate trucks/cars are coming from Mannuthy side or not.

Last edited by arjithin : 20th December 2012 at 08:36.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks