Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2013, 10:24   #5146
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,348 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Till Laknadon I think its a good four lane road. What are the road conditions beyond Laknadon upto Nagpur? and from Nagpur to Hyderabad and Bangalore?

regards
Laknadon-Seoni is good, but Seoni-Nagpur road has deteriorated (it had become good in between), so you have to be careful in taking that road by night. Since the road a little beyond Seoni is still 2-laned till Kmaptee, heavy truck traffic will also slow you down.

South of Nagpur, roads are bad around Hinganghat & Pandharkawad.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 08:13   #5147
M35
BHPian
 
M35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: KL 9
Posts: 601
Thanked: 1,246 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

I will be driving from Trichy Airport to Palakkad next month.

Vehicle: Scorpio
Time of travel : Midnight

Please suggest me the best route keeping in mind road conditions.
M35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 08:39   #5148
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,348 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
I will be driving from Trichy Airport to Palakkad next month.

Vehicle: Scorpio
Time of travel : Midnight

Please suggest me the best route keeping in mind road conditions.
Trichy-Dindigul-Ottanchatram-Palani-Udumalaipet-Pollachi-Palakkad, drive will take 6-8 hours max. Good roads all the way, except for some rough sections around Ottanchatram. 2-laned roads except for Trichy-Dindigul.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 14:05   #5149
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,091
Thanked: 687 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post

Please suggest me the best route keeping in mind road conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Trichy-Dindigul-Ottanchatram-Palani-Udumalaipet-Pollachi-Palakkad, drive will take 6-8 hours max. Good roads all the way, except for some rough sections around Ottanchatram. 2-laned roads except for Trichy-Dindigul.

Above road is the best. Dindigul-Ottanchatram has some rough patches. And in Pollachi-Palakkad section (before you reach Gopalapuram) few kms of roads were dug up for re-laying, when I took this stretch about a month back. Most probably work should have been completed by now - still it is better to be on the alert, since this section is unmarked
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 16:14   #5150
BHPian
 
SafeDrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 411
Thanked: 47 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Planning on driving down from Chennai to Trivandrum this weekend. This time instead of taking the Nagercoil route, I'd like to take the Madurai - Munnar - Kottayam route. Does anyone know on the road conditions here?
SafeDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 16:35   #5151
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,348 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Planning on driving down from Chennai to Trivandrum this weekend. This time instead of taking the Nagercoil route, I'd like to take the Madurai - Munnar - Kottayam route. Does anyone know on the road conditions here?
Very good roads. Some road widening work in Dindigul-Theni sector. Somewhat rough - and narrow bridges - in some places between around Tiruvalla. Overall a lovely route to take. However, once rains begin, expect rains & fog weather from Kumili onwards.

Route to be taken:
Dindigul-Periakulam-Theni-Kambam-Kumili-Kuttikanam-Kanjirapalli-Vazhoor (no need to go to Kottayam)-Changanaserry-Tiruvalla-Chenganur-Adoor-Kottarakara-Trivandrum
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 19:03   #5152
BHPian
 
joecherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 547
Thanked: 78 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Very good roads. Some road widening work in Dindigul-Theni sector. Somewhat rough - and narrow bridges - in some places between around Tiruvalla. Overall a lovely route to take. However, once rains begin, expect rains & fog weather from Kumili onwards.

Route to be taken:
Dindigul-Periakulam-Theni-Kambam-Kumili-Kuttikanam-Kanjirapalli-Vazhoor (no need to go to Kottayam)-Changanaserry-Tiruvalla-Chenganur-Adoor-Kottarakara-Trivandrum
that is the straightforward route but then you have another option as well.Deviate from this road at Mundakkayam, on to Erumely, Plachery,Ranni,Pathanamthitta,Adoor where you rejoin the hvk mentioned route.

This is my regular route when ever I travel to my hometown (manimala) and last time when I used this in April, road works between Theni-Dindigul was very minimal and hence no reason for any worries. Deviations are only may be 6-8 in count and not an issue at all.

This route might require some guidance when driving first time and hence if driving at night ,might be difficult (unless you have a gps).

Last edited by joecherian : 28th May 2013 at 19:06.
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 09:09   #5153
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,489
Thanked: 8,384 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Planning on driving down from Chennai to Trivandrum this weekend. This time instead of taking the Nagercoil route, I'd like to take the Madurai - Munnar - Kottayam route. Does anyone know on the road conditions here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
that is the straightforward route but then you have another option as well.Deviate from this road at Mundakkayam, on to Erumely, Plachery,Ranni,Pathanamthitta,Adoor where you rejoin the hvk mentioned route.
- The Theni route is a long detour in my opinion. And you add Munnar too!
- If you plan to visit Munnar its a different proposition
- Dindigul-Theni works are almost complete
- The other route you can try is : Madur-Sriviliputtur-Rajapalayam-Tenkashi-Thenmala-Palode-Nedumangad-Vattapara-TVM

Roads south of Thenamala and narrow twisty and have ghats in them.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 08:53   #5154
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,391 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

This is not about roads TO Kerala, but about roads IN Kerala.

It seems that GoK has written to MoRTH to handover five national highways back to the state, so that they can be developed as per the state's policy and not as per the Union government's - the latter involves road development via PPP and requires toll to be collected, both anathema to the folks of the state. The 45m width requirement will also be discarded.

The roads are 49, 208, 212, 213 and 220 (portions that are within Kerala where applicable). 17 and 47 will continue to be developed as per national standards.

Malayala Manorama article (sorry, in Malayalam).
binand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 13:52   #5155
BHPian
 
darklord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: TVM (KL-16)
Posts: 463
Thanked: 735 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Traffic on NH47 banned during night

Quote:
Thrissur: Traffic movement on National Highway 47 on Thrissur-Palakkad route has been banned during night due to maintenance work on Vadakkenchery-Mannuthy route. The work started on Wednesday night.
http://mobiletoi.timesofindia.com/mo...3&publabel=TOI
darklord is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2013, 12:01   #5156
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,698
Thanked: 4,472 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Traffic on NH47 banned during night
Planning to travel by Volvo bus service from Bangalore to Kottayam next week. Any idea what impact this has on interstate buses ? Will they follow an alternate route ?
Any information in this regard is highly appreciated.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2013, 12:05   #5157
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,726
Thanked: 822 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Planning to travel by Volvo bus service from Bangalore to Kottayam next week. Any idea what impact this has on interstate buses ? Will they follow an alternate route ?
Any information in this regard is highly appreciated.
Most of the buses anyway go through Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Thrissur-Mannuthy/Thalore-Chalakkudy route, so will not make any change.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2013, 14:16   #5158
BHPian
 
arjithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BGLR/Chalakudy
Posts: 840
Thanked: 709 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Most of the buses anyway go through Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Thrissur-Mannuthy/Thalore-Chalakkudy route, so will not make any change.
Not sure if this is true. I travelled in Kallada, SPS, ksrtc & Shama travels between Bglr & Chalakudy in the last 8 weeks, all of them took NH47 throughout. Another spl bus of an unheard travels took pollachi- palakkad-mannuthy route (probably to save tax)
arjithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2013, 15:17   #5159
BHPian
 
Sportsmind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 394
Thanked: 28 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Hai there. Quick update on Gundulpet- Calicut road via bathery. and Also Calicut- Tellicherry road please. Off this evening.
Sportsmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2013, 15:23   #5160
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmind View Post
Quick update on Gundulpet- Calicut road via bathery. and Also Calicut- Tellicherry road please. Off this evening.
Gundlupet-Kozhikode no problems.Road works have been done and is good to go now.Kozhikode-Thalasserry same old NH17 traffic,nothing of any great mention there.If you do not want to touch Kozhikode,then you could turn off after Batheri and go towards Thalasserry.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks