Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:30   #5401
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,878
Thanked: 1,474 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
From bangalore.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
you can take the wayanad-kozhikode-nh17-edapally.
Kozhikode is an option but again a very busy stretch of highway starting from Bangalore itself. I like the route from Bangalore all the way to Chelakara. It is the best road to drive if you are headed to Cochin. I am looking for an additional option, if one exists. Something that takes off to Cochin from either of these place, pollachi or govindapuram. I am looking for good roads, minimal traffic, same amount of travel time and distance.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 2nd August 2013 at 11:31.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:32   #5402
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,565
Thanked: 1,685 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I don't see myself driving this stretch any time soon. For knowledge sake, I would like to know if there is another approach to Cochin that can completely avoid the quoted stretch. Like a back entry via state highways of Tamil Nadu and Kerala. I would surely like to keep distance around the same.
The only options to Kochi apart from the ones mentioned are the ones below afaik and they are good to take if driving extra kms and extra time is ok and hill roads to deal with,otherwise the perundurai option is the optimum one imo.

Gundlupet-Nilambur-Perinthalmana-Wadakancheri-TCR-COK
Gundlupet-Nilambur-Perinthalmana-Pattambi-Perumpilavu-Guruvayur-Edappally
Salem-Dindigul-Bodi-Munnar-Kochi
gundlupet-muthanga-nh212-kozhikode-edapal-kunnamkulam-edappally
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:49   #5403
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,878
Thanked: 1,474 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Salem-Dindigul-Bodi-Munnar-Kochi
This route is the most interesting one in the list though it adds a good 120km odd to the Perundurai route. I should try it out sometime. Can you please put a map link for this route. I did plot one but it is straight out of gmaps recommendation.

I have no problem with the Perundurai route till Wadakancherry. It is beyond this where it gets annoying with Traffic.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:56   #5404
Senior - BHPian
 
Klub Class's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA17|KL65|KL41
Posts: 3,426
Thanked: 669 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Gundlupet-Nilambur-Perinthalmana-Wadakancheri-TCR-COK
Ranjit, how is the Perinthalmana - Nilambur - Gundlupet road condition?

We need to drive to Mysore tomorrow early morning. Preferring this route over the Thamarassery - Sulthanbathery would help us save around 20 kms.
Klub Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:59   #5405
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,565
Thanked: 1,685 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Ranjit, how is the Perinthalmana - Nilambur - Gundlupet road condition?

We need to drive to Mysore tomorrow early morning. Preferring this route over the Thamarassery - Sulthanbathery would help us save around 20 kms.
Roads are ok,if it rains heavily check at Vazhikadavu if Nadugani ghats are open as its prone to landslides,otherwise the roads are good to go.Start early otherwise the narrow roads and private bus traffic can get onto your nerves.Perinthalmana-wandoor-nilambur there was some culver works reported a couple of months back but i assume those have been completed now.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:12   #5406
BHPian
 
denver85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 195
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Ranjit, how is the Perinthalmana - Nilambur - Gundlupet road condition?

We need to drive to Mysore tomorrow early morning. Preferring this route over the Thamarassery - Sulthanbathery would help us save around 20 kms.
The roads are really good in the route Perinthalmanna-Pandikkad-Wandur-Nilambur-Vazhkadavu. Some bad patches in the Nadugani ghat section and inside Muthumalai forest which are manageable. Condition as per drive one month back.
The Nilambur route is better than Thamarassery route if you are starting from Perinthalmanna. Traffic will be on a higher side in Thamarassery-Kalpetta stretch.

Quote:
Roads are ok,if it rains heavily check at Vazhikadavu if Nadugani ghats are open as its prone to landslides,otherwise the roads are good to go.Start early otherwise the narrow roads and private bus traffic can get onto your nerves.Perinthalmana-wandoor-nilambur there was some culver works reported a couple of months back but i assume those have been completed now.
Ranjith sir, I didn't see any work going on this stretch during my latest drive. Drove this stretch daytime and the traffic was really less as compared to other times. There were less bikers and people on the road as it was raining heavily.

Last edited by denver85 : 2nd August 2013 at 12:20. Reason: Correction
denver85 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:51   #5407
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,390 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
For knowledge sake, I would like to know if there is another approach to Cochin that can completely avoid the quoted stretch. Like a back entry via state highways of Tamil Nadu and Kerala. I would surely like to keep distance around the same.
Kerala has a veritable spaghetti-network of usable roads (NH, SH etc.) with the main constraint being traffic. A route to Kochi from Bangalore could be:

Bangalore-Gundlupet (Mysore Road or NH209 - your choice)
Gundlupet-Gudallur-Nilambur (mind the night traffic ban)
Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Kunnamkulam-Chavakkad
NH17

If anything, this could be a bit shorter though more time consuming.
binand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 15:50   #5408
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,565
Thanked: 1,685 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
This route is the most interesting one in the list though it adds a good 120km odd to the Perundurai route. I should try it out sometime. Can you please put a map link for this route. I did plot one but it is straight out of gmaps recommendation.

I have no problem with the Perundurai route till Wadakancherry. It is beyond this where it gets annoying with Traffic.
Salem-Dindigul-Vathalakundu-Theni-Bodi-Poopara-Rajakkad-Kunjithanny-Anachal-Iruttukanam-Adimali-Perumbavur-Aluva

Route bypasses Munnar and you exit NH49 at Poopara and drive down straight to Adimali.

http://goo.gl/maps/5q59P
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 02:25   #5409
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 64
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
bangalore-salem-perundurai-kangayam-palladam-pollachi-govindapuram-kollengode-alathur-pazhyannur-chelakara-wadakancheri-thrissur-nh47-edappally-alleppey.

Do not take the NH47 between Palakkad and Thrissur.

http://goo.gl/maps/T13YI
Hi Ranjit

I am planning to drive down to Irinjalakuda next weekend. I usually take salem, coimbatore by pass, walayar, NH47 route. Have been stuck in Kuthiran only once.. luck has favoured during all other times.

Now that it is rainy season, defenitly do not want to do the PKD - TCR NH47 route. I have once used a route that had a diversion after palakad and then via Shornur to TCR. Do you think this is a good option? or should I stick to what you have recommended above.
Ajith-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 06:09   #5410
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,565
Thanked: 1,685 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajith-s View Post

Now that it is rainy season, defenitly do not want to do the PKD - TCR NH47 route. I have once used a route that had a diversion after palakad and then via Shornur to TCR. Do you think this is a good option? or should I stick to what you have recommended above.
Good decision not to use NH47.Its presently in the state of which is the best pothole i can select!

Shoranur road has become very busy thanks to the pathetic condition of nh47.Shoranur route is the more popular one for trucks and buses.I would suggest that you take the above route from Perundurai kangayam pollachi kollengode alathur pazhayannur wadakancheri thrissur cherpu ijk.Roads are good throughout.exit into perundurai town and get onto the kangayam road.its fairly simple,if u have a gps just set it on that and it would take you straight.

PS:You can buy some excellent banana chips at SNR,Alathur bus stand on this route.The best
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 07:58   #5411
BHPian
 
ontheroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: KL-01/KL-08
Posts: 293
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

Friends, Anyone driven through Alleppy - Kayamkulam stretch of NH 47 recently? Last time I passed this road was one month back and there were huge crates near and after Alleppy. Heard that authorities are repairing the craters, but would like to know an update from Bhpns.
ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 09:52   #5412
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 64
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Good decision not to use NH47.Its presently in the state of which is the best pothole i can select!

Shoranur road has become very busy thanks to the pathetic condition of nh47.Shoranur route is the more popular one for trucks and buses.I would suggest that you take the above route from Perundurai kangayam pollachi kollengode alathur pazhayannur wadakancheri thrissur cherpu ijk.Roads are good throughout.exit into perundurai town and get onto the kangayam road.its fairly simple,if u have a gps just set it on that and it would take you straight.

PS:You can buy some excellent banana chips at SNR,Alathur bus stand on this route.The best
Thank you Ranjit. Will give this a shot this time.
And on the banana chips, yes SNR is divine. But with me flirting with 40's.... it is a temptation I will try to avoid
Ajith-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 10:29   #5413
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,565
Thanked: 1,685 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajith-s View Post

Thank you Ranjit. Will give this a shot this time.
And on the banana chips, yes SNR is divine. But with me flirting with 40's.... it is a temptation I will try to avoid
Only thing to bear in mind is that at Kollengode take the road to alathur via pallavoor pallassana.do not follow the signboards to thrissur-kochi etc at kollengode as those would put you on NH47 at Vadakkencheri.

Ps:indulgence is a must once in a while!
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 19:05   #5414
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,565
Thanked: 1,685 Times
Default

Private buses go on indefinite strike refusing to ply on NH47 between Palakkad and Thrissur.KSRTC also sights mounting maintenance bills and frequent breakdowns on their buses plying this route and is mulling to ply their SF and LS and Exp buses via the Shoranur route.KSRTC drivers complaining of backaches and spinal problems due to road conditions on this route.

http://www.ksrtcblog.com/featured/po...-05-cr-monthly

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 3rd August 2013 at 19:09.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 19:30   #5415
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,390 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Private buses go on indefinite strike refusing to ply on NH47 between Palakkad and Thrissur.KSRTC also sights mounting maintenance bills and frequent breakdowns on their buses plying this route and is mulling to ply their SF and LS and Exp buses via the Shoranur route.KSRTC drivers complaining of backaches and spinal problems due to road conditions on this route.
Someone ought to sue someone. From what I understand, NHAI will not support patchwork - they want standard NHDP-level work done (this stretch is part of the north-south corridor). GoK is unable to acquire land for full 4-laning work so wants only repairs. Natheeja? Peet ka dard. :-(
binand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks