Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2013, 19:27   #5596
RGK
Senior - BHPian
 
RGK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: DPM and CHN
Posts: 1,352
Thanked: 202 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
OT:
Yes, the Mangalam route option is good. Better to wade through Palladam than to go into Kangeyam and Sivanmalai temple(traffic at festival times).
If one touches Kangeyam, they should NOT go to either Tirupur or Sivanmalai-Uthukuli-Sengappalli (at NH 47) which is circular to reach Salem highway, the best option is Kangeyam-ChenniMalai-Perundurai (NH47).
Attached Images
 
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 22:48   #5597
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I would be able to comment or assist you further only if you let me know which road you intend to take,your post is confusing for me.

If you are intending on taking the nh47 route,keep on the road till Chandranagar Junction,at which point left would go to Thrissur as the NH47 and straight would take you to Palakkad town.Keep straight and go into the town and exit onto the Ottapalam road,its a relatively straight road through the town.Keep on the road till Kulappully Junction (you would see Samudra Regency to your left followed by the junction).At the junction take a left and follow the road till Vazhacode Junction.At Vazhacode,take a right,left would take you to Chelakara-Pazhayannur-Alathur.Following this you would cross Uthralikavu Temple followed by Ottupara Y fork.The right fork goes to Kunnamkulam,while the straightish left goes to Wadakancheri-Thrissur.
Hi Ranjith,

My regular route to Guruvayur from Bangalore has always been Electronic City-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Perundurai-CBE bypass-Walayar and then follow the road to Thrissur till GVR.

But this time i plan to take a deviation via Palladam as suggested by you and also wish to try the route via Ottapalam-Kulapully as i heard its in better condition than the Thrissur one. Rest all will be same.

I do not wish to try via Mysore-Gudalur, as i am very comfortable with driving on 4-laners of NH7 and NH47, which also has good number of eating places enroute .

Good roads with exit signs marked,is all i look for in a route.
xenonz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 23:23   #5598
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,693
Thanked: 4,466 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenonz1 View Post
But this time i plan to take a deviation via Palladam as suggested by you and also wish to try the route via Ottapalam-Kulapully as i heard its in better condition than the Thrissur one. Rest all will be same
Your route to Palakkad would be Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Left Turn to Kangeyam (via Chennimalai)-Palladam-Pollachi-Gopalapuram-Chandranagar (Palakkad). Here you will merge with NH47 and need to turn left. In about 1-2 Km you will see Hotel Sre Aryaas on left, here keep straight and follow the route Ranjith has mentioned for Ottapalam - the road curves to left at Aryaas which is NH47 towards Trichur via Alathur-Kuthiran (I'm sure you want to avoid this! ).
You can refer this earlier post for details of the route I've mentioned above - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3094312 (All Roads to Kerala)

Last edited by NPV : 30th August 2013 at 23:32.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 23:27   #5599
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenonz1 View Post
Hi Ranjith,

My regular route to Guruvayur from Bangalore has always been Electronic City-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Perundurai-CBE bypass-Walayar and then follow the road to Thrissur till GVR.

But this time i plan to take a deviation via Palladam as suggested by you and also wish to try the route via Ottapalam-Kulapully as i heard its in better condition than the Thrissur one. Rest all will be same.

I do not wish to try via Mysore-Gudalur, as i am very comfortable with driving on 4-laners of NH7 and NH47, which also has good number of eating places enroute .

Good roads with exit signs marked,is all i look for in a route.
In that case follow directions in earlier post till kulappully and then drive straight to pattambi and then onwards to kunnamkulam and gvr.no need to go to wadakancheri.you might see some bad roads inside pattambi town but nothing of any major concern
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 12:14   #5600
BHPian
 
darklord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: TVM (KL-16)
Posts: 463
Thanked: 734 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Finally, NHAI has invited tenders for Trivandrum bypass four laning of existing Kazhakuttam-Mukkola stretch, on a BOT basis, last date October 4th. Estimated cost is 550 crores. The district level purchase committee for fixing fair price for land acquisition for the remaining stretch of the bypass (Mukkola-Kaliyikkavila) is scheduled to meet next month.

Thanks, Shashi Tharoor.
darklord is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 13:39   #5601
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,829
Thanked: 1,475 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
In that case follow directions in earlier post till kulappully and then drive straight to pattambi and then onwards to kunnamkulam and gvr.no need to go to wadakancheri.you might see some bad roads inside pattambi town but nothing of any major concern
Kulappuly - Pattambi and onward stretch until NH17 are not in good condition. Stick to Kulapully-Wadakkanchery-Kunnamkulam. The Wdknchry-Knnmklm stretch is pretty scenic and traffic-free, too.
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 15:43   #5602
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,391 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Finally, NHAI has invited tenders for Trivandrum bypass four laning of existing Kazhakuttam-Mukkola stretch, on a BOT basis, last date October 4th. Estimated cost is 550 crores. The district level purchase committee for fixing fair price for land acquisition for the remaining stretch of the bypass (Mukkola-Kaliyikkavila) is scheduled to meet next month.

Thanks, Shashi Tharoor.
Donno about the Shashi Tharoor bit, but Oscar Fernandes' visit to Kerala seems to be a success. Today's newspapers report that he has been able to broker a deal between the state and NHAI - the latter will now reduce the width requirement to 30m within the state (it is 60m elsewhere and has been the bone of contention between the two) and will drop all objections to the repair work of NH 47 between Palakkad and Thrissur.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 10:39   #5603
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,227
Thanked: 7,776 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Time for my next Kerala trip and had a few questions:

1. This time going from Bangalore to Tirur (Malappuram Dt). I have not taken the Gudalur-Nadugani-Nilambur-Manjeri Route for a long time now. Any recent info on the road conditions in this route-Especially the Nadugani Ghat section. Also, I assume my roue would be Nilambur-Manjeri-Malappuram-Kottkkal-Tirur. Any deviation to avoid any of these towns?

2. I have a friend who needs to reach Thamarassery coming with me. I don't want to go to Tirur via Calicut as that adds distance and time to the trip. Question is which would be the best place for this person to get down to get to Thamarassery via bus. Based on my knowledge, Nilambur/Edavanna would be the place from which he can take a bus to Thamarassery via Areekode-Mukkam. Is this correct and are there sufficient buses on this route?
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:24   #5604
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
1. This time going from Bangalore to Tirur (Malappuram Dt). I have not taken the Gudalur-Nadugani-Nilambur-Manjeri Route for a long time now. Any recent info on the road conditions in this route-Especially the Nadugani Ghat section. Also, I assume my roue would be Nilambur-Manjeri-Malappuram-Kottkkal-Tirur. Any deviation to avoid any of these towns?
Route is pretty good.Nadugani has no issues for the moment.Your suggested route is the best imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
2. I have a friend who needs to reach Thamarassery coming with me. I don't want to go to Tirur via Calicut as that adds distance and time to the trip. Question is which would be the best place for this person to get down to get to Thamarassery via bus. Based on my knowledge, Nilambur/Edavanna would be the place from which he can take a bus to Thamarassery via Areekode-Mukkam. Is this correct and are there sufficient buses on this route?
Best in my opinion would be Mysore or Gundlupet,plenty of buses
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:37   #5605
BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 766
Thanked: 582 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Route is pretty good.Nadugani has no issues for the moment.Your suggested route is the best imo.
Are you sure about this, Ranjit? I was in fact very confused after two people told me two contradicting stories about state of this route last month. Did not know whom to believe! If your source of information is more recent, I would not look elsewere I would be driving back to Bangalore from my wife's home in Tanur on 17th September, and had still not decided on whether to take Nadugani route or the longer Wayanad route.
sandsun7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:50   #5606
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Are you sure about this, Ranjit? I was in fact very confused after two people told me two contradicting stories about state of this route last month. Did not know whom to believe! If your source of information is more recent, I would not look elsewere I would be driving back to Bangalore from my wife's home in Tanur on 17th September, and had still not decided on whether to take Nadugani route or the longer Wayanad route.
My friend drove Hyd-Nilambur-perinthalmanna-Wki-thrissur-kochi and he said the route is absolutely fine except for some potholes here and there and daytime traffic(ofcourse he drove a scorpio but I dont think that should make much of a difference).If you start early,you would easily cross nilambur by the time daytime local traffic begins.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:58   #5607
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,227
Thanked: 7,776 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Route is pretty good.Nadugani has no issues for the moment.Your suggested route is the best imo.

Best in my opinion would be Mysore or Gundlupet,plenty of buses
Thanks Ranjit. I normally start by around 4am from Bangalore. Which means I'll hit Mysore around 6.30 and Gundlepet around 7.30am. Not sure if there will be buses that start from these places so early. If I am not mistaken most of the Kerala RTC buses will be the one's from Bangalore.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:09   #5608
BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 766
Thanked: 582 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
My friend drove Hyd-Nilambur-perinthalmanna-Wki-thrissur-kochi and he said the route is absolutely fine except for some potholes here and there and daytime traffic
Thanks a lot. I would stick on to this route itself. Would then plan to start a little late so as to arrive at Mudumalai or Bandipur in time for the jungle safari. I guess evening safari organized by the forest department at Bandipur would be at 3 or 3.30.
sandsun7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:37   #5609
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Thanks Ranjit. I normally start by around 4am from Bangalore. Which means I'll hit Mysore around 6.30 and Gundlepet around 7.30am. Not sure if there will be buses that start from these places so early. If I am not mistaken most of the Kerala RTC buses will be the one's from Bangalore.
Mysore to Kozhikode buses run all the time.There are plenty of buses almost one every hour.Buses from Bangalore as well as from Mysore.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:13   #5610
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,460
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
My friend drove Hyd-Nilambur-perinthalmanna-Wki-thrissur-kochi and he said the route is absolutely fine except for some potholes here and there and daytime traffic(ofcourse he drove a scorpio but I dont think that should make much of a difference).If you start early,you would easily cross nilambur by the time daytime local traffic begins.
Hi Ranjit,

Any specific update on Nilambur to Trissur route? Few confusions.

1) Manjeri or Pandikkad?
2) Kunnamkulam or Wadakanchery
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks