Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2014, 18:21   #6391
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 267
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Hi,

Did Bangalore Parippally (kollam) via Madurai (halt), Tenkasi, Kulathupuzha, Anchal, Ayoor, Chadayamangalam, Pallikkal, Parippally. Great roads mostly except some work going on in the ghat section and some patchy surfaces in the TN side. 6 hours to Madurai and another 6 hours to Parippally with 30 mins break each time.

Returned via Adoor, Erumeli, Mundakayam, Kumili, Theni, Dindugal, Salem. Halted at Kumily. The roads were great, but you will take at least two hours more owing to a larger portion of the drive being in ghats. If you are in a hurry do not choose this option. But we were there for the views and were really happy with the experience - Loved the Kuttikanam-Peerumede-Kumily stretch. May not be a good idea to opt for this route during the Sabarimala season time.

Cheers

Vindy

Last edited by VindyWheels : 21st January 2014 at 18:33.
VindyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 00:51   #6392
BHPian
 
arjithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BGLR/Chalakudy
Posts: 838
Thanked: 702 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You can also try :

Karumathampatti-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkencherry-Trichur.
why not Avinashi - -Palladam-Pollachi--Kollengode-Vadakkencherry-Trichur?? (other than the railway crossing construction?)

Has anyone tried Karumathampatti - Karanampettai-
Kamanaayakkanpalaiyam
??

Which is better for crossing at 12AM in a hatchback?
arjithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 04:03   #6393
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,473
Thanked: 8,365 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
why not Avinashi - -Palladam-Pollachi--Kollengode-Vadakkencherry-Trichur?? (other than the railway crossing construction?)

Has anyone tried Karumathampatti - Karanampettai-
Kamanaayakkanpalaiyam
??

Which is better for crossing at 12AM in a hatchback?
If at 12 night, both routes have issues. . Because Annur-Avinashi may be good. But getting on Palladam road is a problem as that section is dug for about 2km thanks to railway over bridge construction near Avinashi.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 06:29   #6394
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
why not Avinashi - -Palladam-Pollachi--Kollengode-Vadakkencherry-Trichur?? (other than the railway crossing construction?) Has anyone tried Karumathampatti - Karanampettai- Kamanaayakkanpalaiyam ?? Which is better for crossing at 12AM in a hatchback?
You are not going to find a soul at mangalam railway station to tell you the way on how to get to the other side of the under construction bridge and there are no signboards either.Even in broad daylight its a mess trying to figure out how to get to the other side apart from the no road zone area around the overbridge
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 09:10   #6395
BHPian
 
arjithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BGLR/Chalakudy
Posts: 838
Thanked: 702 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If at 12 night, both routes have issues. . Because Annur-Avinashi may be good. But getting on Palladam road is a problem as that section is dug for about 2km thanks to railway over bridge construction near Avinashi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You are not going to find a soul at mangalam railway station to tell you the way on how to get to the other side of the under construction bridge and there are no signboards either.Even in broad daylight its a mess trying to figure out how to get to the other side apart from the no road zone area around the overbridge
So the railway construction work is at Mangalam rly area.
I normally use google maps for navigation. WIll that help? Will you be able to share a gmaps link on how to cross the railway work?

How about the Karanampettai route?

I prefer 4 lane roads in my night drives. Some one mentioned in earlier pages that Perundurai - Kangeyam road is dug up for 200m around Ingur area. So my thought was if I have to cover a bad section in both the options, then why not use the 4 lane roads till Karumathampetti?
arjithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:04   #6396
Senior - BHPian
 
foby.sebastian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 2,448
Thanked: 1,102 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Any recent traffic changes in Kollam town ? I do see new no entry boards opposite to Kollam railway station. Is that because of the flyover construction going on ?
foby.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:04   #6397
Senior - BHPian
 
silversteed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PGT//BLR//STR
Posts: 1,977
Thanked: 1,384 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
...Some one mentioned in earlier pages that Perundurai - Kangeyam road is dug up for 200m around Ingur area. So my thought was if I have to cover a bad section in both the options, then why not use the 4 lane roads till Karumathampetti?
I was that 'someone'. Given a choice, I would pick the route with 200m of a bad patch (which might even get relaid as we speak) instead of a 2km mess that a railway overbridge construction is.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:25   #6398
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,460
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Returned via Adoor, Erumeli, Mundakayam, Kumili, Theni, Dindugal, Salem. Halted at Kumily. The roads were great
So that concludes the final leg of KK road is also freshly laid? I mean after Vandiperiyar to Kumily? Last time I drove, approach to Kumily town was really bad and I took an alternate route and touched the Kattappana - Kumily road.

Last edited by jacs : 22nd January 2014 at 10:26.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:34   #6399
BHPian
 
A350XWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BLR/FRA/STR
Posts: 783
Thanked: 506 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Did Bangalore Parippally (kollam) via Madurai (halt), Tenkasi, Kulathupuzha, Anchal, Ayoor, Chadayamangalam, Pallikkal, Parippally.
Returned via Adoor, Erumeli, Mundakayam, Kumili, Theni, Dindugal, Salem. Halted at Kumily. The roads were great, but you will take at least two hours more owing to a larger portion of the drive being in ghats.
Vindy, the second one is my regular route when I drive to my hometown. Once you get used to that stretch, it's much easier and less time consuming. The advantage of the second route is the wider roads till the foothills of the mountain when you come from the TN side. I felt that many places on the Kollam-Theni highway are really narrow, unlike the Dindigul-Cumbum-Kumily road. Also, there are less number of towns to drive through.
By the way, on your return leg, if you took Adoor-Erumely route, you would have driven right past my home in Kerala. Should've told me in advance
A350XWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:36   #6400
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 267
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Jacs, I do not remember having any trouble in that stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
So that concludes the final leg of KK road is also freshly laid? I mean after Vandiperiyar to Kumily? Last time I drove, approach to Kumily town was really bad and I took an alternate route and touched the Kattappana - Kumily road.
VindyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:46   #6401
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 267
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Hi A350XWB,

Yes, the ghat sections could have been done faster, but we just did not feel like zooming past the beautiful place

Wifey rated this ghat drive much higher than the Wayanad stretch.

Any routes nearby with more forest stretches with chances of animal spotting especially if one were to halt at Kumily? Meghamalai sounds like a good option.

Next time expect us at your doorstep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Vindy, the second one is my regular route when I drive to my hometown. Once you get used to that stretch, it's much easier and less time consuming. The advantage of the second route is the wider roads till the foothills of the mountain when you come from the TN side. I felt that many places on the Kollam-Theni highway are really narrow, unlike the Dindigul-Cumbum-Kumily road. Also, there are less number of towns to drive through.
By the way, on your return leg, if you took Adoor-Erumely route, you would have driven right past my home in Kerala. Should've told me in advance
VindyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:59   #6402
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
So the railway construction work is at Mangalam rly area.
I normally use google maps for navigation. WIll that help? Will you be able to share a gmaps link on how to cross the railway work?
Google maps does not show those roads on which you have to divert onto.Daytime you can follow your instinct and try getting onto the other side

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
How about the Karanampettai route?
Sorry,I have no clue about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I prefer 4 lane roads in my night drives. Some one mentioned in earlier pages that Perundurai - Kangeyam road is dug up for 200m around Ingur area. So my thought was if I have to cover a bad section in both the options, then why not use the 4 lane roads till Karumathampetti?
Kangayam is going to be any day better than this as getting off from NH47 onto the Palladam road at Avinashi is also pretty confusing as one needs to keep below the second flyover(iirc)on the Avinashi BP onto the Palladam road.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 13:03   #6403
Senior - BHPian
 
deepclutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Muvattupuzha
Posts: 1,119
Thanked: 108 Times
Post Re: All Roads to Kerala

Hi,
what is the best route from Muvattupuzha to Devagiri near Kozhikode considering road conditions and traffic?

I need to reach Devagiri for a function by 9AM so what is the estimated time to cover the distance from Muvattupuzha to Devagiri. if I start by 4.30AM, is that enough with sedate driving?
Google maps is showing
Muvattupuzha-Angamaly-Thrissur-Edappal-Ramanattukara bypass-Pantheerankavu-Devagiri is the route shown.
http://goo.gl/maps/8vGd7
  1. in the maps, it is shown go straight from Thalore in NH47 and take left from Nadathara to reach Round?? is it better to take normal route Thalore-Ollur-Punkunnam. also, I have taken Kuttanellur route sometimes back. please suggest the best option to bypass Thrissur traffic.
  2. is there a route from Kechery to Perumpilavu bypassing Kunnamkulam?
  3. I have not visited Devagiri(A college is there?) so if the route from Ramanattukara to Devagiri if explained will be great.
  4. what about taking Potta-Irinjalakkuda-Valapad(NH17) route? I heard traffic is less in this route. Is this narrow and problematic compared to regular route through Edappal? this:
    http://goo.gl/maps/pWuyx
It is great if a google maps link of the corrected route is shared.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 13:24   #6404
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,226
Thanked: 7,769 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Hi,
what is the best route from Muvattupuzha to Devagiri near Kozhikode considering road conditions and traffic?
[list=1][*]I have not visited Devagiri(A college is there?) so if the route from Ramanattukara to Devagiri if explained will be great.
Can help with this point. Devagiri is the name of the area and the location of the Calicut Medical college and hospital. St Josephs is the name of the college, but it is pretty much known as Devagiri college.

Regarding the route. The last section (deviation shown from the Ramanatukara Bye-pass, is not advisable). This is a narrow road and unless you know the road, will not recommend it. The ideal route is to continue on the By-pass till you reach the By-pass- Mavoor Road Jn (This is major intersection with traffic lights and cannot be missed. From here take a right on to Mavoor Road. Once you go around 2.5 km on Mavoor Road you will reach The Medical College Jn with a Roundana. If you turn right, The main road continues downwards towards Mavoor, and you will see a small narrow road on the right side. This is the route to Devagiri College. College is a few hundred meters along this road, this is followed by the Devagiri CMI School.

Are you headed to Devagiri College or some place else in the area?
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 13:31   #6405
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Hi,
what is the best route from Muvattupuzha to Devagiri near Kozhikode considering road conditions and traffic?

I need to reach Devagiri for a function by 9AM so what is the estimated time to cover the distance from Muvattupuzha to Devagiri. if I start by 4.30AM, is that enough with sedate driving?
Google maps is showing
Muvattupuzha-Angamaly-Thrissur-Edappal-Ramanattukara bypass-Pantheerankavu-Devagiri is the route shown.
http://goo.gl/maps/8vGd7
  1. in the maps, it is shown go straight from Thalore in NH47 and take left from Nadathara to reach Round?? is it better to take normal route Thalore-Ollur-Punkunnam. also, I have taken Kuttanellur route sometimes back. please suggest the best option to bypass Thrissur traffic.
  2. is there a route from Kechery to Perumpilavu bypassing Kunnamkulam?
  3. I have not visited Devagiri(A college is there?) so if the route from Ramanattukara to Devagiri if explained will be great.
  4. what about taking Potta-Irinjalakkuda-Valapad(NH17) route? I heard traffic is less in this route. Is this narrow and problematic compared to regular route through Edappal? this:
    http://goo.gl/maps/pWuyx
It is great if a google maps link of the corrected route is shared.
The route in the link is correct imo.

Thrissur-Kozhikode takes around 3-3.5hrs.Angamaly-Thrissur would take you another 1hr.Would you be able to reach Angamaly from Muvvattupuzha in 1hr,then you are touch and go.

While coming on NH47,its best to take the Kuttanellur bypass-Jubilee Mission College-Bishop Palace-Townhall-Ashwini Hospital-Patturaikal ROB-Guruvayur Road-Right turn towards Perumpilavu at Kecheri-Join Edappal road at Perumpilavu and continue onwards.

NH17 route is time consuming and narrow,Thrissur option is a better option and faster one as well.

Kecheri-Pannithadam(on the Kunnamkulam-Wadakancheri road)-Akkikavu(just before Perumpilavu) is the road you need to take as shown correctly on GM.

Route from NH47 bypass Thrissur town:

http://goo.gl/maps/wTOsd
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks