Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2014, 12:44   #6571
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,790
Thanked: 513 Times
Default

Finally there is a good news.

Speed limit on kerala roads revised after 15 years.
Now its 90 kmph and 85 kmph for cars on four lane and two lane highways respectively with immediate effect.

Here is the news [TOI Kochi] 15 March 2014

Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised*M K Sunil Kumar TNN*Kochi: The government on Friday revised the upper speed limit of all vehicles on highways and four-lane roads.As per the order,the speed limit on city roads will be 45 km/hr as against 35 km/hr earlier.The revision in speed limits on state roads comes after almost 15 years.The order,which came into force on Friday itself,states that the upper speed limit for cars has gone up from 70 km/hr to 85 km/hr on highways and 90 km/hr on four-lane roads.The speed limit for transport vehicles has been revised to 70 km/hr on highways and 80 km/hr on four-lane roads from 60 km/hr earlier while that of motorcycles has been revised to 70 km/hr on highways and four-lane roads from 50 km/hr.The speed limit of autorickshaws has been revised from 40 km/ hr to 50 km/hr on highways and 60 km/hr on fourlane roads.However,there is no change on the speed limit on other roads.We had given a proposal to the state government to revise the speed limits two years ago.The government issued the orders today, transport commissioner Rishi Raj Singh said.Motor vehicles department officials said motorists caught speeding on CCTV cameras would be fined only if they violated the revised speed limits.The department has installed CCTVs along the Cherthala-Kasaragod stretch on the national highway.Senior deputy transport commissioner P K Stephan said the proposal to increase the speed limits was made in view of the improved road conditions.A final decision is awaited on plan to increase the speed limit of school buses.The speed governors installed on buses and trucks will soon be reset according to the revised speed limits.*

Last edited by coolclouds : 15th March 2014 at 13:05.
coolclouds is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 13:26   #6572
BHPian
 
arjithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BGLR/Chalakudy
Posts: 840
Thanked: 709 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Finally there is a good news.

Speed limit on kerala roads revised after 15 years.
Now its 90 kmph and 85 kmph for cars on four lane and two lane highways respectively with immediate effect.

Here is the news [TOI Kochi] 15 March 2014
Thanks Coolclouds. Wonder why the malayalam mainstream print media didnt report this ..
arjithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 13:34   #6573
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,726
Thanked: 822 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

For those who are interested in knowing the detailed speed limits - an extract from the Government Order regarding speed limits
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2700_14.pdf (736.9 KB, 410 views)
binaiks is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 14:45   #6574
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 87
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Did Bangalore-Kochi on 6th evening. Bangalore-Hosur-Palacode-Thoppur-Omallur-Sankari-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Mannuthy-Trichur-Kochi.

Overall, good condition and there is much progress between Walayar and Vadakkancherry.

Tarring work started at Karumathampatti flyover

520 kms from Electronics City BETL toll to Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Kaloor.

Bhpian arjithin too was driving to Trichur and had a quick meet at Hotel Saravana Bhavan, Sankari.
Hi Coolclouds,

The route detailed by you (Bangalore - Coimbatore) looks interesting, since I have never used the SHs in that stretches, preferring the smooth tolled NHs.
I would like to know specifically, the road condition at :
a) Hosur-Palacode-Thoppur
b) Omalur-Sankari
Is there anyway to avoid Omalur town in the above route ?

Thanks and regards,
SAPVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 15:44   #6575
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 1,143 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Hi Coolclouds,

The route detailed by you (Bangalore - Coimbatore) looks interesting, since I have never used the SHs in that stretches, preferring the smooth tolled NHs.
I would like to know specifically, the road condition at :
a) Hosur-Palacode-Thoppur
b) Omalur-Sankari
Is there anyway to avoid Omalur town in the above route ?

Thanks and regards,
Hosur-Rayakottai-Palacode road is generally good. When you pass through villages, the road will be rough.
While proceeding on NH7, you will see a board on the left side mentioning SALEM AIRPORT. Stick to the right of the road divider till you a see a board mentioning OMALUR TOWN. This road SH86 passes through Tharamangalam and Konganapuram to reach NH47 after the Sankagiri toll. By this road you avoid paying toll at Omalur and sankagiri. You can expect some traffic at Omalur town.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 11:22   #6576
BHPian
 
DieselLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kochi
Posts: 357
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Guys,
need an urgent help. I am driving to Coonoor on this Friday afternoon. I will start from Kalamassery at around 1 PM. Need advice on following.

1. Best route to Coonoor.
2. Road condition (I am assuming it's good till Palakkad based on recent posts)
3. Approx driving time. I will be travelling with a 2yr old and it will be a slow drive. Can I reach Coonoor around Dinner time (8-9 PM)?
DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 11:55   #6577
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,489
Thanked: 8,383 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Guys,
need an urgent help. I am driving to Coonoor on this Friday afternoon. I will start from Kalamassery at around 1 PM. Need advice on following.

1. Best route to Coonoor.
2. Road condition (I am assuming it's good till Palakkad based on recent posts)
3. Approx driving time. I will be travelling with a 2yr old and it will be a slow drive. Can I reach Coonoor around Dinner time (8-9 PM)?
- Take the NH47 all the way to CBE.
- Check with others if Walayar is OK. Else Vaddakkencherry-Pollachi-Palladam-Karumathampatty
- Bypass CBE on the NH47
- Go via Karumathampatty-Annur-Mettupalayam
- Head to Conoor.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 14:11   #6578
BHPian
 
DieselLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kochi
Posts: 357
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Take the NH47 all the way to CBE.
- Check with others if Walayar is OK. Else Vaddakkencherry-Pollachi-Palladam-Karumathampatty
- Bypass CBE on the NH47
- Go via Karumathampatty-Annur-Mettupalayam
- Head to Conoor.
Thanks Ampere. I will stick to NH47 as it's the most direct one it seems.

I was looking at Karumathampatty-Annur-Mettupalayam route on google maps and it's longer by around 30kms. Do you think it will be faster than going inside Coimbatore city on Friday evening?
DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 14:18   #6579
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 1,143 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Thanks Ampere. I will stick to NH47 as it's the most direct one it seems.

I was looking at Karumathampatty-Annur-Mettupalayam route on google maps and it's longer by around 30kms. Do you think it will be faster than going inside Coimbatore city on Friday evening?
By passing CBE is the best bet. Considering the traffic on friday evening it would make sense to go via Karumathampatty and Annur
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 05:03   #6580
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 586 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Finally there is a good news.

Speed limit on kerala roads revised after 15 years.
Now its 90 kmph and 85 kmph for cars on four lane and two lane highways respectively with immediate effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Thanks Coolclouds. Wonder why the malayalam mainstream print media didnt report this ..
Today's Mathrubhumi has reported this - but also says the change is likely to come into effect only from the 1st of April. So people travelling in March, please stick to the old speed limits.
kala is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 06:46   #6581
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,391 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Now its 90 kmph and 85 kmph for cars on four lane and two lane highways respectively with immediate effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Today's Mathrubhumi has reported this - but also says the change is likely to come into effect only from the 1st of April.
Technically speaking, the new limits come into force on 28/2, the date of the gazette notification (which Binai has attached to a post here). What the Mathrubhumi article is saying is that implementation will be from 1/4. This part involves re-doing the road signs, re-calibrating the automated violation detection systems, educating the beat cops etc.

Point being, you are not in violation of the law if you did a speed that is between the old and the new limits during March.

Of course, there are practical difficulties if you are caught during the interim
binand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 08:10   #6582
BHPian
 
arjithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BGLR/Chalakudy
Posts: 840
Thanked: 709 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Today's Mathrubhumi has reported this - but also says the change is likely to come into effect only from the 1st of April. So people travelling in March, please stick to the old speed limits.
Manorama also reported y'day the same news and specifically quoted Mr RishiRaj Singh (Kerala Transport Commissioner) as the changes are effective immediately and all speed cameras are already re-calibrated.
arjithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 16:44   #6583
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 94
Thanked: 58 Times
Default

Returned on Monday the 17th after a trip to kerala, left Bangalore at 4:00 AM on the 14th ( Friday) took a new route suggested by fellow BHpians, Suresh_Gs and Amphere- as I wanted to avoid the city like traffic across Kerala.
So took the Bangalore- Hosur- Krishnagiri- Salem- Dindigul- Bhatlagundu- Theni- Cumbum- Vandiperiyar- Mundakayam- Pampadi Kottayam wonderful roads all the way , briiliant drive and would recommend this route to any team BHPian driving to Kottayam, reached Kottayam by 2:30 PM with 2 food breaks, 2 Bio breaks and one refuelling stop.

On day two after visiting some temples, had a function to attend in Thodupuza, so drove from Kottayam to Thodupuza with a breakfast stop- drove via Pala, very good roads again and manageable traffic completed this 54 km stretch in an hour and 25 minutes. Post the function we drove to Guruvayoor via Angamali. Good roads all the way again
Day 3 post darshan at Guruvayoor, drove down to Kozhikode with some pilgrimage stops enroute

Day4 , started from Kozhikode at about 6:00 Am and drove via sultan battery, breakfast at Calicut kitchen a couple of kms before Mutangad sanctuary, hot appams and bhaji is just too good for breakfast; lunch break at Kamath Lokaruchi and back home at 2:00 PM. Good roads all the way save for the zillion speed humps on Mysore Bangalore stretch.

Maintained a steady max of 95-100 through the trip and thoroughly enjoyed the drive

Taking the high ranges route to Kottayam also ensured that we did not face the sultry summer heat until we reached Pampadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Manorama also reported y'day the same news and specifically quoted Mr RishiRaj Singh (Kerala Transport Commissioner) as the changes are effective immediately and all speed cameras are already re-calibrated.
The changes are applicable as on the 14th of March and I was spared inspite of passing a patrol team with speed camera at 80KMPH and thought I was plain lucky, until I saw the news item of the speed limit changes effected after 15 long years

Last edited by aah78 : 19th March 2014 at 18:06. Reason: Posts merged. Please use MULTI-QUOTE / QUOTE+. Thanks!
gops2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 17:38   #6584
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,697
Thanked: 4,472 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by gops2009 View Post
Day4 , started from Kozhikode at about 6:00 Am and drove via sultan battery, breakfast at Calicut kitchen – a couple of kms before Mutangad sanctuary, hot appams and bhaji is just too good for breakfast; lunch break at Kamath Lokaruchi and back home at 2:00 PM. Good roads all the way save for the zillion speed humps on Mysore Bangalore stretch.
You could have avoided the zillion humps by taking NH209 from Gundlupet and reaching Bangalore via Charmarjanagar, Kanakapura.
This way you would have also bypassed Mysore city totally.

Last edited by NPV : 19th March 2014 at 17:39.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 18:03   #6585
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 94
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You could have avoided the zillion humps by taking NH209 from Gundlupet and reaching Bangalore via Charmarjanagar, Kanakapura.
This way you would have also bypassed Mysore city totally.
Yes NPV, thought about it, but as I had never used this route, was not too sure about the road condition and I had my parents travelling with me , with one of them having slight vertigo problem, so played it safe taking the road I always take.

Also, I stay in Basaveswaranagar, so I have been under the impression that this route suits better and therefore did not try the Chamarajnagar stretch. Is this a better route with lesser traffic and good roads and how does this fare distance wise??
gops2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks