Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2014, 13:19   #6676
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,910
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
What do you have to say for an evening trip to Kerala, starting at about 1600hrs, via Kanakpura road, malavalli, Sathyamangalam, CBE?

Are there any safety concerns?
Yes there are issues from safety and food point of view. Till you reach Chamarajanagar, you don't have decent hotels where you can take a break. While descending down the dhimbam ghats, say an upcoming truck breaks down, you will be stuck in the traffic jam that will soon follow suit.

Stick to NH7 and NH47 for night journeys. if you wish to experiment with NH209, then plan to leave bangalore by say 4 AM
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 14:52   #6677
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,003
Thanked: 644 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Noted: I shall stick to the AH7/47 route! I thought there would be some time savings. However about via Gudalur, Nilambur & Shoranur? Would this be worth while?
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 15:03   #6678
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,910
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Noted: I shall stick to the AH7/47 route! I thought there would be some time savings. However about via Gudalur, Nilambur & Shoranur? Would this be worth while?
Early mornings are the best time for you to experiment be it Via NH209 or Nilambur. You would save time by motoring along NH7/NH47 but be prepared to shell out money on toll.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 15:07   #6679
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 683
Thanked: 235 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Can any one help to find out the best route from Guruvayur - Thirunavaya Temple and Calicut.

Route options as per google are,
1. Mammiyur - Chavakkad - Ponnani - Chamravattom Bridge - Thirunavaya
2. Mammiyur - Perumpadappu - Marancheri - Chamravattom Bridge - Thirunavaya
3. Mammiyur - Changaramkulam - Edappal - Kuttipuram - Thirunavaya
4. Mammiyur - Kunnamkulam - Changaramkulam - Edappal - Kuttipuram - Thirunavaya

and from Thirunavaya, via Puthanathani to Ramanattukara, calicut. Please suggest the best out of this .

I am travelling from Bangalore and will be taking Salem - Coimbatore - Thrissur route as I have to pickup my Parents from Thrissur Rly station. Also please let me know if I wanted to reach Thrissur Rly stn by 02:30pm, what time I should start from Bangalore (Bommanahalli)

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 15:28   #6680
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,390 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
4. Mammiyur - Kunnamkulam - Changaramkulam - Edappal - Kuttipuram - Thirunavaya

and from Thirunavaya, via Puthanathani to Ramanattukara, calicut. Please suggest the best out of this .
I think route 4 is the best. Others can comment.

As for Thirunavaya-Calicut, just get to BP Angadi (commuter town of Tirur) and then Tirur-Parappanangadi-Chettipadi-Chelari-Ramanattukara-Calicut is the shortest with good quality roads.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 15:33   #6681
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 683
Thanked: 235 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I think route 4 is the best. Others can comment.

As for Thirunavaya-Calicut, just get to BP Angadi (commuter town of Tirur) and then Tirur-Parappanangadi-Chettipadi-Chelari-Ramanattukara-Calicut is the shortest with good quality roads.
Thanks a lot, I hv travelled via Tirur-Parappanangadi-Chettipadi-Chelari-Ramanattukara almost a decade back. It was too crowded during day time. I will be driving in day time here. Is the condition improved now..?
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 15:36   #6682
Senior - BHPian
 
silversteed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PGT//BLR//STR
Posts: 1,966
Thanked: 1,374 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
However about via Gudalur, Nilambur & Shoranur? Would this be worth while?
The forest checkpost at Gudallur is closed for all vehicles (except a few buses of the two KSRTCs that have special Forest Pass) between 9 o'clock at night and 6 o'clock in the morning. In the event that you cross the checkpost at dusk, the risks associated with the Sathyamangalam route apply here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
I am travelling from Bangalore and will be taking Salem - Coimbatore - Thrissur route as I have to pickup my Parents from Thrissur Rly station. Also please let me know if I wanted to reach Thrissur Rly stn by 02:30pm, what time I should start from Bangalore (Bommanahalli)
Since you're sticking to the NH-7 and NH-47 route, a 05:30hrs start would take you to Thrissur Railway station by 14:30hrs, with a sedate drive and a couple of breaks.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 15:45   #6683
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,390 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Thanks a lot, I hv travelled via Tirur-Parappanangadi-Chettipadi-Chelari-Ramanattukara almost a decade back. It was too crowded during day time. I will be driving in day time here. Is the condition improved now..?
My last trip was in November (to Mangalam and back; which follows the same route till BP Angadi) - the roads were relaid and good then. The last missing piece was an under construction railway overbridge between Tirur and Tanur; it was thrown open to traffic few weeks back (the event was reported here). The junction at BP Angadi itself is bad (just crushed gravel, no road) but that is a very short stretch and might have been fixed already as part of the "election service".

As for crowd - is there a road in Kerala which is not crowded? Irrespective of the route you take, your final approach is going to be via NH 17 from Thenhipalam to Calicut city - penance for all your sins.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 15:53   #6684
BHPian
 
denver85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 195
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say avoid night drive to Sathy. Very low of facilities. Not worth it I would say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I second Ampere. These are the risks involved:
- Wild animals venture out after dusk, you wouldn't want to be staring at a lone tusker, God forbid.
- No options for food, rest rooms after you cross Chamarajnagar, until you descend the Dhimbam ghat
- Some trucks breakdown on the ghat section, causing blocks. Such a block at night is not a good thing to encounter

Stick to the NH-7 & NH-47 route all along. You'll enter Kerala territory after 10 o'clock, with a couple of short breaks.
Just adding to that, the truck traffic in this route in the night time is very high as compared to daytime. Lot of trucks takes this route to avoid paying the toll. Best to stick to the conventional NH7/NH47. In daytime, I recommend Kanakapura-C'Nagara-Sathy route if you are ok with winding 2-line roads.
denver85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 16:55   #6685
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,169
Thanked: 7,546 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Can any one help to find out the best route from Guruvayur - Thirunavaya Temple and Calicut.

Route options as per google are,
1. Mammiyur - Chavakkad - Ponnani - Chamravattom Bridge - Thirunavaya
2. Mammiyur - Perumpadappu - Marancheri - Chamravattom Bridge - Thirunavaya
3. Mammiyur - Changaramkulam - Edappal - Kuttipuram - Thirunavaya
4. Mammiyur - Kunnamkulam - Changaramkulam - Edappal - Kuttipuram - Thirunavaya

and from Thirunavaya, via Puthanathani to Ramanattukara, calicut. Please suggest the best out of this .

I am travelling from Bangalore and will be taking Salem - Coimbatore - Thrissur route as I have to pickup my Parents from Thrissur Rly station. Also please let me know if I wanted to reach Thrissur Rly stn by 02:30pm, what time I should start from Bangalore (Bommanahalli)

Thanks
Rajesh
Route 2 is the best option. Good Roads and minimal traffic. I took this route from Tirur in Feb. Only challenge is that there are a few lefts and rights and it is easier to get lost. It is easier when going towards Guruvayoor as there are signboards, when returning it is a little more confusing. But google maps should be able to guide you correctly. It would take approx 1 hr-1hr 15 min. If not this, then both route 1 and 4 should be some what same.

From Tirunavaya, the Tirunavaya-Puthanathani road is a narrow/twisty one. Should be good condition though. So Puthanathani-Edarikode-Chelari-Ramanatukara should be a good option since you will not have to touch Tirur town. The other options you have are via Tirur-Parappanangadi, Tirur-Edarikode. As Binand mentioned, it should not make much of a difference which ever route you take. Good roads, heavy traffic and several towns/mini towns

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 2nd April 2014 at 16:59.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 18:54   #6686
BHPian
 
unni246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: KA-53 / KL-08
Posts: 145
Thanked: 72 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
My last trip was in November (to Mangalam and back; which follows the same route till BP Angadi) - the roads were relaid and good then. The last missing piece was an under construction railway overbridge between Tirur and Tanur; it was thrown open to traffic few weeks back (the event was reported here). The junction at BP Angadi itself is bad (just crushed gravel, no road) but that is a very short stretch and might have been fixed already as part of the "election service".

As for crowd - is there a road in Kerala which is not crowded? Irrespective of the route you take, your final approach is going to be via NH 17 from Thenhipalam to Calicut city - penance for all your sins.
I second that too...
Just travelled this route couple of days back till Tirur Rly Station. The Mangalam route has been reworked & is in a very good condition and the work is still in Progress near Alathiyur.
The route between chamravattom bridge - Alathiyur is excellent now as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Can any one help to find out the best route from Guruvayur - Thirunavaya Temple and Calicut.

Route options as per google are,
1. Mammiyur - Chavakkad - Ponnani - Chamravattom Bridge - Thirunavaya
2. Mammiyur - Perumpadappu - Marancheri - Chamravattom Bridge - Thirunavaya
3. Mammiyur - Changaramkulam - Edappal - Kuttipuram - Thirunavaya
4. Mammiyur - Kunnamkulam - Changaramkulam - Edappal - Kuttipuram - Thirunavaya

and from Thirunavaya, via Puthanathani to Ramanattukara, calicut. Please suggest the best out of this .

I am travelling from Bangalore and will be taking Salem - Coimbatore - Thrissur route as I have to pickup my Parents from Thrissur Rly station. Also please let me know if I wanted to reach Thrissur Rly stn by 02:30pm, what time I should start from Bangalore (Bommanahalli)

Thanks
Rajesh
Option 4 if not travelling at Peak time.
Option 1 for a stress free drive with less traffic, but couple of bottle necks at chamravattom junction, BP Angadi..etc, though not something to worry about.

From Thirunavaya it should be best to reach Puthanathani & stick to the NH as it's best to avoid the usually busy Tirur / Tanur stretch

Finally inorder to Reach Trichur by 2.30 via CBE I guess an early start at 5am should be fine with couple of breaks. The last time I did this route it took me 8 hours with 30 mins stoppage for dinner

Last edited by benbsb29 : 7th April 2014 at 04:57. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz use the Multi-quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
unni246 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 19:05   #6687
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Palakkad
Posts: 40
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Though I've regularly travelled to Bangalore from my native Kerala as a Bachelor, am planning a road trip to Bangalore with my wife and kid for the first time during Good Friday weekend. Wanted to know what's the road condition (it's been a year since I drove) and what is the best time to start from Palakkad to reach Bangalore which will be comfortable for an infant. Any suggestions on good child-friendly stopovers for food will be appreciated. What would be an ideal time to start back from Bangalore too to reach by Monday evening?

Should I stick to the NH47/NH17 route or take the NH 209 via Sathyamangalam?

Thanks in advance!
Krishnan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 19:17   #6688
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,787
Thanked: 505 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan83

Should I stick to the NH47/NH17 route or take the NH 209 via Sathyamangalam?

Thanks in advance!
Stick on to NH47-NH7 all the way. There are many eateries on the way and budget for some 6-7 hours drive max.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 09:27   #6689
Senior - BHPian
 
silversteed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PGT//BLR//STR
Posts: 1,966
Thanked: 1,374 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan83 View Post
Though I've regularly travelled to Bangalore from my native Kerala as a Bachelor, am planning a road trip to Bangalore with my wife and kid for the first time during Good Friday weekend. Wanted to know what's the road condition (it's been a year since I drove) and what is the best time to start from Palakkad to reach Bangalore which will be comfortable for an infant. Any suggestions on good child-friendly stopovers for food will be appreciated. What would be an ideal time to start back from Bangalore too to reach by Monday evening?

Should I stick to the NH47/NH17 route or take the NH 209 via Sathyamangalam?

Thanks in advance!
Since you mentioned that you're travelling with an infant, I would suggest NH47 & NH-7 (it's not NH17) all along. With a relaxed cruise, it would take you about 7-8 hours, including breaks. The timing is applicable only until Silk Board. Beyond that, your progress greatly depends on the traffic in the city.

There are quite a few pit-stop points all along. I'll list down a few that I've tried. The first one you would see, is a Hotel Aaryas on the left side, a little after Avinashi. They were renovating the hotel area 2 weeks ago, and serving food in the Marriage hall attached to the building. The next one would be Saravana Bhavan Classic, again, on the left. It's about 30km before Salem. Travel about 5km ahead, and you'll see Sree Saravana Bhavan. There're also small clothes stores and an Axis Bank ATM in the same compound. The next pitstop that I make is at Shoolagiri. You have a Cafe Coffee Day, McD, and a veg hotel. This is attached to an HP fuel station, where I tank up.

For your question on what time to start, I am leaving it to you/your other half, because you would know the sleeping pattern and plan accordingly. On the return, I would suggest that you leave at 5-6 in the morning, so you can be home for lunch.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 09:42   #6690
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,910
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan83 View Post
Though I've regularly travelled to Bangalore from my native Kerala as a Bachelor, am planning a road trip to Bangalore with my wife and kid for the first time during Good Friday weekend. Wanted to know what's the road condition (it's been a year since I drove) and what is the best time to start from Palakkad to reach Bangalore which will be comfortable for an infant. Any suggestions on good child-friendly stopovers for food will be appreciated. What would be an ideal time to start back from Bangalore too to reach by Monday evening?

Should I stick to the NH47/NH17 route or take the NH 209 via Sathyamangalam?

Thanks in advance!
I would suggest you to stick to NH7 and NH47 all the way. You have plenty of options to eat especially around shoolagiri like Kamat, A2B, McDonalds etc.
Since you are travelling with your kid, i would advise you to leave early for both the onward and return trips so that even after taking numerous breaks you reach your destination by noon/evening.

Since it happens to be a long week end, be mentally prepared for traffic jams at the tolls.

Happy Journey
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks