Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2014, 23:21   #7726
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kochi
Posts: 104
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Can anyone recently travelled between Vadakkancherry and Coimbatore via Alathur - Pudunagaram - Velanthavalam - Chavady please update the road conditions.
JohnnyBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 08:55   #7727
BHPian
 
ambivalent_98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune-Bangalore
Posts: 749
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Thanks gentlemen. I didn't know about the Rayakottai route. I will take that for sure post Attibele.
Hope it is a good drive to Kochi. Will write back on this forum once done.
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 09:09   #7728
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,787
Thanked: 505 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Pennagaram-Palacode-Rayakottai-TVS Factory-Attibele : Good 2 lane roads with some random rough sections..
Thanks for this latest update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Thanks gentlemen. I didn't know about the Rayakottai route. I will take that for sure post Attibele.
Hope it is a good drive to Kochi. Will write back on this forum once done.
You have to go under Attibelle flyover and take right to take this route.

Btw, I too will be driving tomorrow through this route to Kochi, probably after 2pm.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 09:21   #7729
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH209
Posts: 1,607
Thanked: 700 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Btw, I too will be driving tomorrow through this route to Kochi, probably after 2pm.
This road is suggested ( http://goo.gl/maps/M3zP4 ) to take the Rayakottai road.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 09:30   #7730
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,910
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
This road is suggested ( http://goo.gl/maps/M3zP4 ) to take the Rayakottai road.
I took this route recently to go to chennai. Work is in progress on Hosur inner ring road. By this route, one can avoid entering hosur completely.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 09:37   #7731
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,787
Thanked: 505 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
This road is suggested ( http://goo.gl/maps/M3zP4 ) to take the Rayakottai road.
Me too took this route two months back and it was very good except for a small stretch towards end.

Btw, the road via Kelamangalam to Rayakottai is very good with almost no traffic. There are few rough sections before TVS factory.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 11:38   #7732
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Me too took this route two months back and it was very good except for a small stretch towards end.

Btw, the road via Kelamangalam to Rayakottai is very good with almost no traffic. There are few rough sections before TVS factory.
So you mean after TVS factory all the way to Kelamangalam, its now good? I remember Suresh mentioning there were quite many culverts which were getting done. So are they all done now?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 11:48   #7733
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,787
Thanked: 505 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So you mean after TVS factory all the way to Kelamangalam, its now good? I remember Suresh mentioning there were quite many culverts which were getting done. So are they all done now?
Yes. TVS factory, all the way to Rayakottai via Kelamangalam.

You can see details here (All Roads to Kerala)
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 18:02   #7734
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,787
Thanked: 505 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Did Bangalore-Kochi yesterday.

Attibelle-Kelamangalam-Rayakottai-Palacode is mostly good, no issues.
Coimbatore-Palakkad is better than earlier.

Edit: Can anybody let me know the best route from Kochi to Mananthavady? I'm starting tomorrow at 11 am.

Last edited by coolclouds : 23rd October 2014 at 18:29.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 18:44   #7735
BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 755
Thanked: 567 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Edit: Can anybody let me know the best route from Kochi to Mananthavady? I'm starting tomorrow at 11 am.
Option 1: Kochi-Thrissur-Kunnamkulam-Edappal-Kuttipuram-Valanchery-Edarikode-Ramanattukara-Kozhikode bypass-Malaparamba junction-Kunnamangalam-Thamarashery-Adivaram-Ghat-Lakkidi-Vythiri-Kalpetta bypass-Kainatty junction-Kambalakkad-Panamaram-Naalam mile/Koyileri-Mananthavadi.

Option 2: Kochi-N. Paravur-Kodungalloor-Chavakkad-Ponnani-Chamravattom-Tirur-Parappanangadi-Chettipadi-Chelari-University-Ramanattukara-Kozhikode bypass-Malaparamba junction-Kunnamangalam-Thamarashery-Adivaram-Ghat-Lakkidi-Vythiri-Kalpetta bypass-Kainatty junction-Kambalakkad-Panamaram-Naalam mile/Koyileri-Mananthavadi.

Road condition is good in both routes upto Kambalakkad barring the stray potholes. But Option 2 has much narrower roads till Chettipadi
sandsun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 18:45   #7736
BHPian
 
pramodpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 970
Thanked: 433 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Did Bangalore-Kochi yesterday.

Attibelle-Kelamangalam-Rayakottai-Palacode is mostly good, no issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
This road is suggested ( http://goo.gl/maps/M3zP4 ) to take the Rayakottai road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Following is the route map to avoid thoppur toll as well. The Mecheri-Pennagaram stretch is a treat to drive . I have been on this stretch before. Once you reach Pennagaram, proceed towards the right till you reach a village called Nagadasampatti. From here take a left to proceed towards Palacode. Anyways if in doubt you can ask the locals for guidance.
I will be driving back to Bangalore from Vaikom on October 26th, Sunday. Since it is the end of long weekend, does it make sense to take the Bhavani - Mettur - Mecheri - Pennagaram - Palacode - Attibele route? I would be reaching Salem by 12:00 noon. I want to avoid the Thoppur - Krishnagiri and Attibele toll booths. I have taken the Mettur route to Join Thoppur and the Palacode route to Join Hosur long back but haven't taken the above route.
Is it easy to find directions? I do not have a GPS device.

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th October 2014 at 02:07. Reason: Fixed quotes, thanks
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 18:50   #7737
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH209
Posts: 1,607
Thanked: 700 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

A 3:30 AM start from Bangalore and it was a queue-less toll booths in the NH7-NH47.

And the recent rains must have plummeted the quality of SH86(Omalur-Sankari)- i took it 20 days back and it was manageable then; but yesterday the potholes were just too many!
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 19:17   #7738
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,787
Thanked: 505 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post

I will be driving back to Bangalore from Vaikom on October 26th, Sunday. Since it is the end of long weekend, does it make sense to take the Bhavani - Mettur - Mecheri - Pennagaram - Palacode - Attibele route? I would be reaching Salem by 12:00 noon. I want to avoid the Thoppur - Krishnagiri and Attibele toll booths. I have taken the Mettur route to Join Thoppur and the Palacode route to Join Hosur long back but haven't taken the above route.
Is it easy to find directions? I do not have a GPS device.
I don't have any latest update on Mettur route but TN state highways are mostly good. You may find little traffic in Mettur.

If you reach Salem by 12 noon, you may not find too much traffic in toll booths. Still, Mettur-Palacode-Rayakottai route will save you a lot in tolls and few kms.

It took 2 hours 30 minutes to do Madiwala-Attibelle-Rayakottai-Palacode-Salem yesterday without overspeeding. Rayakottai-Kelamangalam-Attibelle is good but there are few rough stretches. Ideal for speeds ~70-80 kmph.

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th October 2014 at 02:08. Reason: fixed quotes, thanks
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 19:25   #7739
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I want to avoid the Thoppur - Krishnagiri and Attibele toll booths. I have taken the Mettur route to Join Thoppur and the Palacode route to Join Hosur long back but haven't taken the above route.
Is it easy to find directions? I do not have a GPS device.
Why not take the Dharmapuri bypass and on to Palacode. Thats the standard route. I think that would be much faster. 12 Noon Salem should be easy. And so should be Topper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
A 3:30 AM start from Bangalore and it was a queue-less toll booths in the NH7-NH47.
And the recent rains must have plummeted the quality of SH86(Omalur-Sankari)- i took it 20 days back and it was manageable then; but yesterday the potholes were just too many!
Why the SH, when you started at 3:30. Shouldn't the 4-lane be faster at those times?

Last edited by ampere : 23rd October 2014 at 19:27.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 19:44   #7740
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH209
Posts: 1,607
Thanked: 700 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Why the SH, when you started at 3:30. Shouldn't the 4-lane be faster at those times?
Should have been faster, Amp. But i used to prefer SH86 because

- save 2 tolls and also some 10 km in distance.
- Break from the monotonous 4 lane: driving at slow speeds in 2 lane roads seeing the greenery is so relaxing for me & the engine.


The return, as usual, is planned through the honorable NH209.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks