Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2014, 14:53   #7876
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,964
Thanked: 1,424 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
There's an alternate route via T.Narsipur, from Malavalli to Chamarajnagar, along a SH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats the Bannur road which you take form Malavalli.
The Malavally-Bannur stretch is horrible (October '14), so I'm not sure if this is worthwhile. There is probably another option - you take the right turn at the bridge (just before the barricade; don't enter the bridge) and end up at Santhamarahalli junction via T. Narsipura. Again, not sure of conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
In case it is unlikely that I'll reach the forest check-post in time, is there any other alternate routes available where I can reach Calicut on same day by 10-11pm or so?
It takes 2.5 hours (plus maybe 30 minutes) from any border town to Calicut (Mananthavady/Sulthan Bathery/Nilambur), so you are crossing the border at around 7-8 PM. Very unlikely, since the checkposts all close at 5 or 6 PM. You could try the Hunsur-Mananthavady all-night route, though.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2014, 19:39   #7877
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 37
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Hi,
I am planning to drive down to thrissur tmrw. Going through the thread I could figure out that best route is bangalore- salem-avinashi- palladam-pollachi-kollengode-alathur(or nemmara??)-vadakkancherry-thrissur..After avinashi , how is the road? any speed breakers enroute to watch out for? (i have this bad habbit of spotting speed breakers very late or miss them completely!! ).
Also with a 6 am start , how much time will it take to reach thrissur?

thanks
Sayooj
sayoojl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2014, 20:19   #7878
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,604
Thanked: 8,593 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
There is probably another option - you take the right turn at the bridge (just before the barricade; don't enter the bridge) and end up at Santhamarahalli junction via T. Narsipura. Again, not sure of conditions.
Yes have seen that diversion. There is a board reading Talakkad. Since I was not aware of the road condition, did not want to suggest. But with all these developments, I now feel may be, in case of driving down to CBE, it may be better to stick to the 4-lane.

There is one more option:

Dont take the 209, but Mysore road. Start early and drive till Srirangapatna. Just before the first bridge, you would see a diversion to left. Thats again the SH to Bannur. Once at Bannur, take the Somnathpura road to T-Narasipura and there on to 209 via Muguru. Srirnagaptna-Bannur is a good SH.

Route Link


Quote:
Originally Posted by sayoojl View Post
Hi,
I am planning to drive down to thrissur tmrw. Going through the thread I could figure out that best route is bangalore- salem-avinashi- palladam-pollachi-kollengode-alathur(or nemmara??)-vadakkancherry-thrissur..After avinashi , how is the road? any speed breakers enroute to watch out for? (i have this bad habbit of spotting speed breakers very late or miss them completely!! ).
Also with a 6 am start , how much time will it take to reach thrissur?
Very good roads all the way. Dont go to Alathur. Take the road to Vaddakkenchery

Last edited by benbsb29 : 1st December 2014 at 07:18. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2014, 20:33   #7879
BHPian
 
Twiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cochin-Bangalore
Posts: 299
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayoojl View Post
After avinashi , how is the road? any speed breakers enroute to watch out for?
Also with a 6 am start , how much time will it take to reach thrissur?
About 8km after turn-off at Avinashi to Palladam, there are 2 speed breakers (places about 500m after the first one), then one more (small one) shortly afterwards. The signage for the first two is just few meters ahead of them!

Then nearing Palladam also there are 2 speed humps.

Other than humps, one need to considerably slow down for the speed breaker Barricades placed at so many places. (they are placed very closely to each other)
Kollengode and Nemmara towns also has speed humps in curvy sections.

Roads are good. For 6AM start, you may reach Thrissur by 3pm-4pm; considering Breakfast&Lunch stops. And go via Nemmara for Thrissur.

Last edited by Twiny : 29th November 2014 at 20:39.
Twiny is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 09:40   #7880
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 586 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Need suggestions on the alternate route options from Hyderabad to Calicut. The route that I've driven in the past is the default route: Hyderabad-Bangalore-Mysore-Gundelpet-Wayanad-Calicut, which works well for the Calicut-Hyderabad trip but is a little complicated when going to Calicut.

The problem I faced with this route last time was that it was difficult reach the forest check-post before they closed if there are any additional time lost en route or in crossing Bangalore. This forced me to take a break in journey at Mysore last time, though I might not have the same luxury this time.

In case it is unlikely that I'll reach the forest check-post in time, is there any other alternate routes available where I can reach Calicut on same day by 10-11pm or so?
If you're targetting to reach Calicut by midnight or earlier, I don't think you'd have a problem with the checkpost getting closed on NH212. It takes at least 3.5 to 4 hours to get from Gundlupet to Calicut, so you'd be entering the forest stretch at 8:30 PM worst case which is fine - the closing time is 9PM on that road. (The other routes via the Nagarahole sanctuary close early - at 6PM)
kala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 10:08   #7881
Senior - BHPian
 
zenren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CLT/TVM/HYD
Posts: 2,576
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
If you're targetting to reach Calicut by midnight or earlier, I don't think you'd have a problem with the checkpost getting closed on NH212. It takes at least 3.5 to 4 hours to get from Gundlupet to Calicut, so you'd be entering the forest stretch at 8:30 PM worst case which is fine - the closing time is 9PM on that road. (The other routes via the Nagarahole sanctuary close early - at 6PM)
Thanks, I thought they close at 6pm. Just to confirm, this is the route via Bathery right?

Has it always been 9pm for this route?
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 10:30   #7882
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,818
Thanked: 4,767 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Thanks, I thought they close at 6pm. Just to confirm, this is the route via Bathery right?

Has it always been 9pm for this route?
Yes it's been 9pm always from what I can remember.
Last time we started from Bangalore around 1.30pm and reached the check post on Karnataka side around 7.30pm with a 30-40 minute break at Nijaguna, Chamrajanagar.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 10:47   #7883
BHPian
 
ajaypjayaraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KL
Posts: 920
Thanked: 1,064 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Need suggestions on the alternate route options from Hyderabad to Calicut. The route that I've driven in the past is the default route: Hyderabad-Bangalore-Mysore-Gundelpet-Wayanad-Calicut, which works well for the Calicut-Hyderabad trip but is a little complicated when going to Calicut.



The problem I faced with this route last time was that it was difficult reach the forest check-post before they closed if there are any additional time lost en route or in crossing Bangalore. This forced me to take a break in journey at Mysore last time, though I might not have the same luxury this time.



In case it is unlikely that I'll reach the forest check-post in time, is there any other alternate routes available where I can reach Calicut on same day by 10-11pm or so?

I have always used the Gundalpet route between Kozhikode and Mysore. A friend recently went via Mananthavady - Mysore to Bangalore and recommended this route over the Gundalpet route. He said road is normal 2 lane but surface is really good and comparatively much lesser traffic. I haven't been to Bangalore since and hence this info. is what I've got from a friend. Someone who has been on this route can give a better idea. Anyways one other advantage is you won't have time constraints.
All Roads to Kerala-imageuploadedbyteambhp1417324614.491848.jpg
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 10:48   #7884
Senior - BHPian
 
zenren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CLT/TVM/HYD
Posts: 2,576
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Yes it's been 9pm always from what I can remember.
Last time we started from Bangalore around 1.30pm and reached the check post on Karnataka side around 7.30pm with a 30-40 minute break at Nijaguna, Chamrajanagar.
Thanks NPV. This info really helps.

Assuming an average case situation, by what time should I be reaching Hebbal to cross Bangalore and reach the Karnataka side by 7.30 including 1 hour for breaks?

Also, is NICE road the best option to cross Bangalore?

Last edited by zenren : 30th November 2014 at 10:51.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 11:12   #7885
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,818
Thanked: 4,767 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Assuming an average case situation, by what time should I be reaching Hebbal to cross Bangalore and reach the Karnataka side by 7.30 including 1 hour for breaks?

Also, is NICE road the best option to cross Bangalore?
On weekdays I think you can cross Hebbal by 1pm to be at checkpost by 7.30pm.
I had taken Kanakapura NH 209 route but heard about the bridge near shivanasamudra being closed recently in which case you are left with Mysore road option.
NICE road is good from south Bangalore but from hebbal it may be easier to take the route through the city.
Or you can take NH 207 for devanahalli to dobbaspet and then take NH48 to reach Srirangapatna. This will bypass Bangalore completely. Look for Ampere's earlier posts on this maybe in the On Bypassing Bangalore thread.

Last edited by NPV : 30th November 2014 at 11:18.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 11:56   #7886
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,964
Thanked: 1,424 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Thanks NPV. This info really helps.

Assuming an average case situation, by what time should I be reaching Hebbal to cross Bangalore and reach the Karnataka side by 7.30 including 1 hour for breaks?

Also, is NICE road the best option to cross Bangalore?
Coming from Hyderabad, you needn't take the anti-clockwise NICE Road. You will take a small section of NICE Road clockwise (though the toll would seem very high).

The distance from NICE Road junction to forest entry checkpost after Gundlupet is approximately 240 km. You can maintain driving average of 55-60 kmph on this road, but you should factor in 5 hours to be on the safe side. So, assuming 8:30 PM at the checkpost you are looking at 3:30 PM at the NICE junction.

At that time on weekdays you can cross from Hebbal till Silk Board in 60-90 minutes and another 30 minutes from Silk Board to the NH 209-NICE Road junction, for a total 2 hour crossing of Bangalore. That is, plan to be at Hebbal by 1:30 PM.

I reckon 4:30 AM latest departure from Hyderabad should do it (Shamshabad ORR/NH7 interchange). You should be in Calicut before midnight.

PS: in an earlier post I indicated that all checkposts close down at 6 PM. This is not true; the Gundlupet-Bathery route is open till 9 PM.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 12:04   #7887
BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 777
Thanked: 594 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
I have always used the Gundalpet route between Kozhikode and Mysore. A friend recently went via Mananthavady - Mysore to Bangalore and recommended this route over the Gundalpet route. He said road is normal 2 lane but surface is really good and comparatively much lesser traffic. I haven't been to Bangalore since and hence this info. is what I've got from a friend. Someone who has been on this route can give a better idea. Anyways one other advantage is you won't have time constraints.
Attachment 1313735
This route is an excellent alternative to the Gundlupet-Mysore route. Road conditions are pretty good and there are fewer towns to cross, but please do note that the forest stretch between HD kote (udur forest gate) and Kerala border at Bavali remains closed from 6PM to 6 AM.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 13:02   #7888
BHPian
 
ajaypjayaraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KL
Posts: 920
Thanked: 1,064 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
This route is an excellent alternative to the Gundlupet-Mysore route. Road conditions are pretty good and there are fewer towns to cross, but please do note that the forest stretch between HD kote (udur forest gate) and Kerala border at Bavali remains closed from 6PM to 6 AM.

Even this one remains closed overnight huh. Then the advantage of time is not there even for this route. Traffic and road wise this seems good however. Should try it out on the next Bangalore drive.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 13:15   #7889
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,964
Thanked: 1,424 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
A friend recently went via Mananthavady - Mysore to Bangalore and recommended this route over the Gundalpet route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
the forest stretch between HD kote (udur forest gate) and Kerala border at Bavali remains closed from 6PM to 6 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Even this one remains closed overnight huh. Then the advantage of time is not there even for this route.
I have been taking this route for the past several months (ditching the Bathery route completely). I post trip reports on the Bangalore-Calicut thread usually. There are two points to note:

- I don't take the mapped route via Kuttiady (which I understand is bad) between Mananthavady and Calicut; I prefer Calicut-Kalpetta-Mananthavady which is in excellent condition.

- I take Mysore-Handpost-Mananthavady which is the one with forest closure between 6PM and 6AM. There is another, a bit longer (about 30 km) Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Mananthavady route which is open all night. In fact this is the route taken by overnight buses.

- The end-to-end distance for me from Bangalore to Calicut via both routes is the same.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 22:48   #7890
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 87
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Hi Friends,

Travelling from Bangalore to Calicut and then from there to Ekm, in a couple of
weeks. The first stretch is fine (done it many times and no issues on the route,
thanks to the excellent regular feedback from this forum ).

The issue is the Calicut - Ekm stretch. The regular one via Kuttypuram -Edappal-Kunnamkulam-Tricjur is good, but the Trichur town crossing is a pain .
The other route via Ponnani (NH 17) is not very good upto Ponnani.

Is there a good route to bypass Trichur ?

Thanks.
SAPVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks