Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2009, 19:44   #871
BHPian
 
Rossiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 117
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Did the Bangalore-Salem-CBE-Palghat stretch few days back on my R1. Here are my trip stats:

Depart: Nagpal's Pump, Residency Road at 9.45 AM.
Hosur - 10.45, Krishnagiri - 11.15 (stopped for some awesome Pongal in A2B ), Salem - 12.15 PM (Tanked up), Coimbatore - 2 PM (Had a late lunch here, tanked up again), Palghat - 3.15, Alathur - 3.45. Total journey took me 6 hours, in blistering heat.

Return journey was a little quicker, owing to a continuous run between Salem and Bangalore.

The route is a belter, could keep speeds of 170-180 for prolonged periods. Did notice some wrong way two wheelers, like someone mentioned in this thread a few posts back. Construction still going on till/after Sankari about 50 km or so from Salem, while heading towards Kerala. After that it's pretty quick. Had the usual annoying traffic nearing Coimbatore, on the old 2 lane roads, but that was expected.

PS: The distance to my farmhouse near Alathur used to be 44x kms from my house in Bangalore. But now, my tripmeter read 470 something to the same point. Is it because of some extra distance that we are covering due to all the new byepasses built around the towns in TN?

Last edited by Rossiter : 6th November 2009 at 19:53. Reason: Cleared up some vague info.
Rossiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 22:16   #872
BHPian
 
sj_koova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 578
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Is the Sankari-Avinashi 4-line open yet?
By the way has anyone tried Omalur-Sankari (SH86) to avoid Salem and the two line road between Salem-Sankari?
I am planning for a drive by end of this month.
Last time I tried Mettur-Sathyamangalam. It is good and peaceful, but not fast.
sj_koova is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009, 13:19   #873
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

I did a Kallambalam(near attingal-Trivandrum)- Bangalore trip yesterday (07/Nov/09).
Normally I come through NH47- Mettur--NH 7 route.
But this time got into NH7 at Madurai, as that route is in excellent condition.

total 667 KM (Normal route takes around 710)
Details-

Kallambalam-->Anchal -->Kulathuppuzha-->Aryankavu checkpost-->Chenkottai-->Thenkashi(took a left turn immediaely after Chenkottai and hence bypassed Thenkashi )-->Rajapalyam -->Thirumangalam -->Dindigal-->Karur->Salem-->Krishnagiri-->bangalore.

Entire Madurai-Hosur strech is in wonderful condition,as 4 lining is almost over.You can drive above 100-120KMPH always.

NH208 trip upto Madurai was also good.Roads upto Kerala border is in good condition.found only 2 or 3 pot holes.Chenkottai Madurai section also is in good shape.Road widening/retarring works on progress in some areas.We can drive at an 80-100 KMPH range on this strech. In some areas where the road passes through villages, roads became too narrow.

Altogether it was a great journey. you'll enjoy the scenery till Madurai and then you'll be mesmerised by the good quality 4 line highway from Madurai to Hosur.

Once you pass Hosur and enter Karanataka border, the construction mess on hosur-electronic city and inside Bangalore spoils the mood.

I'm planning to stick to this road till next major damage to the Chenkottai,Kerala border roads.

total Toll fees on the developed highway accumulates to Rs.227,but worth it.
mykal shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 01:46   #874
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,349
Thanked: 8,165 Times
Default Munnar and Kumarakom

Folks,

Can someone update on the status of roads to Munnar and Kumarakom. I plan to drive next month. I am aware of status of roads from Bangalore to Perindurai. (NH7 - NH47. )

How is the stretch from Perindurai, Kangayam, Dharapuram, Udumalpetai through to Munnar?

From Munnar what is the best route to Kumarakom. I read in previous posts there are two main ways:

1. Take NH49 till Muvattupuzha and come down to Kottayam.
2. Come to Todupuza from Adimaly and then come to Kottayam via Pala.

Please let me know which is a better route and how are the impact of recent rains? There might have been updates on these 60 odd pages of this thread. But some how, I could not point myself to the correct page.

Thanks in advance for the help.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 07:32   #875
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,748
Thanked: 6,752 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Folks,

Can someone update on the status of roads to Munnar and Kumarakom. I plan to drive next month. I am aware of status of roads from Bangalore to Perindurai. (NH7 - NH47. )

How is the stretch from Perindurai, Kangayam, Dharapuram, Udumalpetai through to Munnar?

From Munnar what is the best route to Kumarakom. I read in previous posts there are two main ways:

1. Take NH49 till Muvattupuzha and come down to Kottayam.
2. Come to Todupuza from Adimaly and then come to Kottayam via Pala.

Please let me know which is a better route and how are the impact of recent rains? There might have been updates on these 60 odd pages of this thread. But some how, I could not point myself to the correct page.

Thanks in advance for the help.
i have done Perundurai-kangayam-dharapuram-udumlpet -chinnar - mariyoor-munnar roads in august. chinnar - mariyoor-munnar was patchy, but nothing to worry. Perundurai-kangayam-dharapuram-udumlpet is fine.

Route 1 would be better. Munnar-kothamangalam-Muvattupuzha - kottayam route is also patchy two line but no issues, is what I could infer.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 08:47   #876
Senior - BHPian
 
deepclutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Muvattupuzha
Posts: 1,119
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

@ampere:You can choose NH49 Munnar-Kothamangalam-Muvattupuzha-Thiruvankulam-Kureekkad(level cross)-Poothotta-Vaikom-Kumarakom route as well.a littler longer by some 7-8kms;But can do fast.

PS:If wanted to avoid Hilly MC Road stretch from Muvattupuzha to Koothattukulam ,take the parallel road via Arakuzha,Pandappilly which is in good condition(good for upto 70kmph speed) to Reach Kottayam.

Last edited by deepclutch : 9th November 2009 at 08:49.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 10:07   #877
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
I did a Kallambalam(near attingal-Trivandrum)- Bangalore trip yesterday (07/Nov/09).
Normally I come through NH47- Mettur--NH 7 route.
But this time got into NH7 at Madurai, as that route is in excellent condition.

total 667 KM (Normal route takes around 710)
Details-

Kallambalam-->Anchal -->Kulathuppuzha-->Aryankavu checkpost-->Chenkottai-->Thenkashi(took a left turn immediaely after Chenkottai and hence bypassed Thenkashi )-->Rajapalyam -->Thirumangalam -->Dindigal-->Karur->Salem-->Krishnagiri-->bangalore.

Entire Madurai-Hosur strech is in wonderful condition,as 4 lining is almost over.You can drive above 100-120KMPH always.

NH208 trip upto Madurai was also good.Roads upto Kerala border is in good condition.found only 2 or 3 pot holes.Chenkottai Madurai section also is in good shape.Road widening/retarring works on progress in some areas.We can drive at an 80-100 KMPH range on this strech. In some areas where the road passes through villages, roads became too narrow.

Altogether it was a great journey. you'll enjoy the scenery till Madurai and then you'll be mesmerised by the good quality 4 line highway from Madurai to Hosur.

Once you pass Hosur and enter Karanataka border, the construction mess on hosur-electronic city and inside Bangalore spoils the mood.

I'm planning to stick to this road till next major damage to the Chenkottai,Kerala border roads.

total Toll fees on the developed highway accumulates to Rs.227,but worth it.
mykal shoemaker,
Thanks for posting detailed info on this route. Some questions.

How much time did the drive take? Day or night drive?

To bypass Tenkasi while going from Bangalore to Chenkottai, where should one take the deviation? Any landmarks here?

How are the roads on the Kerala side - from Chenkottai to Kulathupuzha/Anchal?

I am planning to drive to TVM next month. Is is advisable to take Kulathupuzha route to TVM or reach Kollam and then to TVM?
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 13:26   #878
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,349
Thanked: 8,165 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
@ampere:You can choose NH49 Munnar-Kothamangalam-Muvattupuzha-Thiruvankulam-Kureekkad(level cross)-Poothotta-Vaikom-Kumarakom route as well.a littler longer by some 7-8kms;But can do fast.

PS:If wanted to avoid Hilly MC Road stretch from Muvattupuzha to Koothattukulam ,take the parallel road via Arakuzha,Pandappilly which is in good condition(good for upto 70kmph speed) to Reach Kottayam.
@DeepClutch, Laluks,

Thanks for the details. Does that mean you need not go to Kottayam to go to Kumarakom? Also, from Thiruvankulam, I cannot trace the road so easily on the google maps towards Vaikom. Is it SH42?

More searching reveals that I need to take SH15, till Vaikom before I hit the SH42.

Last edited by ampere : 9th November 2009 at 13:29.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 15:15   #879
Senior - BHPian
 
deepclutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Muvattupuzha
Posts: 1,119
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

@ampere:Yes ,it is SH42 .From Vaikom ,You can Reach Kumarakom without touching Kottayam.

From Kothamangalam ,Continue with NH49 Till Thiruvankulam.Then ,take the left turn and it goes to a junction where,You have to Choose the Road towards Right(Left is to Chottanikkara) ,which connects to Kureekkad(Railway Gate) to Puthiyakavu in Vaikom Road(SH 15) ,Thrippunithura.I hope Kureekkad Railway gate is not closed(It was ,IIRC sometime back due to Ernakulam-Kottayam rail line work).
The Only narrow stretch is at the railway crossing at kureekkad.

Here is the google road map from Thiruvankulam to Puthiyakavu:
from: Thiruvankulam, Kerala to: Puthiyakavu Temple, SH 15, Ernakulam, Kerala - Google Maps

Last edited by deepclutch : 9th November 2009 at 15:17.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 17:21   #880
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,575
Thanked: 269 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Shaju, did you go through Salem or Mettur?
I am keen to know how much of Salem-Coimbatore 4-lining is completed.
I did the NH7, NH47, without any deviations from Bangalore to Angamaly. I went on 5th and returned on 8th yesterday. Overall trip was comfortable. Road widening is happening in many places without much trouble except the Salem to Sankari route. I wasted more than 45 mts in this stretch due to heavy traffic and deviations through some 2 lane inner roads. Road widening is happening at many places in Kerala NH47 too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
The route is a belter, could keep speeds of 170-180 for prolonged periods. Did notice some wrong way two wheelers, like someone mentioned in this thread a few posts back. Construction still going on till/after Sankari about 50 km or so from Salem, while heading towards Kerala.
I found 2 wheelers, bullock carts, trucks and even buses coming through the wrong way on the speed track. It was very irritating to see such things happening even on the toll roads. By the time you touch 160kmph, you find a local bus speeding and coming from the opposite direction, although there is a divider for the oncoming traffic lane. I think such behaviour is much less compared to NH4.

Bangalore to Palaghat toll on NH7 and NH47 = 5
Total I paid one way = Rs.172
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 02:35   #881
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
mykal shoemaker,
Thanks for posting detailed info on this route. Some questions.

How much time did the drive take? Day or night drive?





To bypass Tenkasi while going from Bangalore to Chenkottai, where should one take the deviation? Any landmarks here?

How are the roads on the Kerala side - from Chenkottai to Kulathupuzha/Anchal?

I am planning to drive to TVM next month. Is is advisable to take Kulathupuzha route to TVM or reach Kollam and then to TVM?
How much time did the drive take? Day or night drive?

I did a day drive.
Started @ 7:30AM and reached near Electronics city by 6:00 PM.Then the usual Bangalore traffic and hence reached home by 8:30PM.But if we plan properly,(to reach BLR at less traffic times), we can manage it within 11-12hours.

To bypass Tenkasi while going from Bangalore to Chenkottai, where should one take the deviation? Any landmarks here?

There is an arch at the end of Chenkottai town(from Kulathuppuzha side,From thenkashi side it may be a welcome to Chenkottai one). Take a left turn immediately after that.
Don't remember the exact place name when coming from Madurai side.
You can take a google map/yahoo map and the deviation is clearly shown in them.
Even if you miss it, there is not much issue,as it just bypasses the town.Not much (considerable) savings in distance.


How are the roads on the Kerala side - from Chenkottai to Kulathupuzha/Anchal?

This section is in good condition now, as some road works happened recently.I read in few other threads here, that this road was closed for around 6 months or so,for works.

Now it looks great.
You can see some of the snaps @
Thenmala on Flickr - Photo Sharing!


I am planning to drive to TVM next month. Is is advisable to take Kulathupuzha route to TVM or reach Kollam and then to TVM?

I think for southern side of TVM, it'll be better if you go ahead on NH7 after Madurai and take a turn at Tirunelveli or Nagercoil.

For Attingal and other side north of TVM, after Kulathuppuzha, you can take road thru Madathara--Palod--nedumangad or Kulathuppuzha-Anchal--Ayur ,then u get MC road there.
mykal shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 09:10   #882
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 153
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
By the way has anyone tried Omalur-Sankari (SH86) to avoid Salem and the two line road between Salem-Sankari?
SJ,

I did this last month. The roads are kind of rough, but I guess will be good enough to drive and save some time. Infact, my question was if there is any advantage. Though no TBHPians replied , couple of regulars in this route confirms that is the case.

See this post in same thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1539571
tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 09:29   #883
BHPian
 
sj_koova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 578
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
SJ,

I did this last month. The roads are kind of rough, but I guess will be good enough to drive and save some time. Infact, my question was if there is any advantage. Though no TBHPians replied , couple of regulars in this route confirms that is the case.

See this post in same thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1539571
Thanks friend. I guess I will stick to NH47 until I hear something positive about this shortcut.

Last time Salem-Sankari really disappointed me with ruthless traffic. Only alternative is Mettur, but that again is not in a great condition.
sj_koova is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 15:22   #884
BHPian
 
s3va's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 646
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I did the NH7, NH47, without any deviations from Bangalore to Angamaly. I went on 5th and returned on 8th yesterday. Overall trip was comfortable. Road widening is happening in many places without much trouble except the Salem to Sankari route. I wasted more than 45 mts in this stretch due to heavy traffic and deviations through some 2 lane inner roads. Road widening is happening at many places in Kerala NH47 too.


Bangalore to Palaghat toll on NH7 and NH47 = 5
Total I paid one way = Rs.172
shaju

I am trying to obtain inputs on the route and road condition for my BLR-Cochin trip ...

Do you suggest the Salem-Sankari route or the deviation from Thoppur to Mettur and then head to Coimbatore so as to avoid the the 4 laning work on NH7-NH47 route ?
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 15:30   #885
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,575
Thanked: 269 Times
Default

Thoppur - Mettur road must be a better option until the road works come to an end in few months. I opted sticking to highway just because there is hardly any time saving through the short cut. Eventhough you lose sometime at the deviations on the highway, you can also make up the lost time by constantly driving above 120kmph. Thoppur - Mettur route best speed could be 70kmph, I doubt if one can do any better considering the present road conditions; number of villages, junctions, animals, tractors that occupy this road throughout.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks