Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2016, 08:59   #9406
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 98
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Cochin - Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
How much time does it take to drive from Cochin to Trivandrum(Final destination is Nagercoil(Kanyakumari)? Plan is to start from Cochin around 4:00/5:00 AM.

Also, google shows 2 routes, through Alapuzha and one through Kottayam. Which is the recommended route?
Hi, did you do the Bangalore Kochi leg already? If so please post the updates. I will be doing the same legs next week. Hence I would also like updates on both the legs.

Also has any one done the Idukki - Munnar stretch via Karimban, Vellathooval recently? Any updates on road conditions?
MinivanDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 09:12   #9407
BHPian
 
ontheroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: KL-01/KL-08
Posts: 297
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
How much time does it take to drive from Cochin to Trivandrum(Final destination is Nagercoil(Kanyakumari)? Plan is to start from Cochin around 4:00/5:00 AM.

Also, google shows 2 routes, through Alapuzha and one through Kottayam. Which is the recommended route?
Avoid Kottayam route as work is going on in many stretches of MC Road. If you start early, you can cover Vytilla-Tvm in 5 hours non stop, if you drive in relaxed manner. The traffic builds up from Karunagapally on wards. Tvm- Nagarkovil should take an hour.

Last edited by ontheroad : 3rd April 2016 at 09:13.
ontheroad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 10:13   #9408
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 98
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Tvm- Nagarkovil should take an hour.
I would budget half an hour to an hour more for the Trivandrum - Nagercoil stretch. Very early morning may take an hour and 15 minutes. But easily an hour and a half during other times and two hours and more during peak evening traffic.
MinivanDriver is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 10:17   #9409
BHPian
 
arjithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BGLR/Chalakudy
Posts: 871
Thanked: 1,008 Times
Default Re: Cochin - Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
How much time does it take to drive from Cochin to Trivandrum(Final destination is Nagercoil(Kanyakumari)? Plan is to start from Cochin around 4:00/5:00 AM.

Also, google shows 2 routes, through Alapuzha and one through Kottayam. Which is the recommended route?
Consider 5 hr for normal drive. In Kerala always try to drive during late night or early morning to reduce driving time and fatigue.

Which route depends on your starting location. For early morning start both routes will be good, I will probably choose the 4 lane alappuzha road than MC road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Hi, did you do the Bangalore Kochi leg already?
Nothing new to update. Last few pages has got recent information in detail. I will be driving next weekend to chalakudi.

Last edited by arjithin : 3rd April 2016 at 10:23.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 11:28   #9410
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,964
Thanked: 1,424 Times
Default Re: Cochin - Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Last few pages has got recent information in detail. I will be driving next weekend to chalakudi.
I am driving on Friday (8/4) to Perumbavur. Travelling with wife and three kids, so no adventurous routes. Only worrisome zones seem to be Coimbatore bypass-KL border and The Kuthiran ghat stretch? Since Friday is not a holiday in KL I suppose taking the Palakkad-Shoranur-Thrissur route is probably a self-goal.

If I manage to start between 3 and 4 AM, I don't think I need to avoid Salem?
binand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 11:59   #9411
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,614
Thanked: 1,719 Times
Default Re: Cochin - Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I am driving on Friday (8/4) to Perumbavur. Travelling with wife and three kids, so no adventurous routes. Only worrisome zones seem to be Coimbatore bypass-KL border and The Kuthiran ghat stretch? Since Friday is not a holiday in KL I suppose taking the Palakkad-Shoranur-Thrissur route is probably a self-goal.

If I manage to start between 3 and 4 AM, I don't think I need to avoid Salem?
Going via Salem is recommended and with that early a start,you would cross Salem in a jiffy.The only problem section with taking the NH47 stretch is the Vadakkencheri-Mannuthy section where the road shoulders are suspect especially between Vadakencheri and Vaniyampara. Chandranagar-Vadakencheri is easily done in around 30mins now a days and the remaining stretch can be done in about 45mins.Time wise shoranur and this is going to take more or less the same time now a days.
ranjitp1 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 13:06   #9412
BHPian
 
arjithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BGLR/Chalakudy
Posts: 871
Thanked: 1,008 Times
Default Re: Cochin - Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I am driving on Friday (8/4) to Perumbavur. Travelling with wife and three kids, so no adventurous routes. Only worrisome zones seem to be Coimbatore bypass-KL border and The Kuthiran ghat stretch? Since Friday is not a holiday in KL I suppose taking the Palakkad-Shoranur-Thrissur route is probably a self-goal.

If I manage to start between 3 and 4 AM, I don't think I need to avoid Salem?
Shornur route or Pollachi route is not needed anymore. A 4 Am start from Bangalore means you should reach KL border around 10 AM. You may find a bit of traffic around Palakad, and that's all.

By the way 8th April is Ugadi, I am assuming no issues for you as you are starting early.

Last edited by arjithin : 3rd April 2016 at 13:08.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 13:11   #9413
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,964
Thanked: 1,424 Times
Default Re: Cochin - Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
By the way 8th April is Ugadi, I am assuming no issues for you as you are starting early.
Didn't understand. What issues? It is a holiday for me at day job, so I'm taking the kids to their annual "spend time with grandparents in Kerala" vacation.
binand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 13:13   #9414
BHPian
 
arjithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BGLR/Chalakudy
Posts: 871
Thanked: 1,008 Times
Default Re: Cochin - Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Didn't understand. What issues? It is a holiday for me at day job, so I'm taking the kids to their annual "spend time with grandparents in Kerala" vacation.
I meant no processions or celebrations on the road to slow you down
arjithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 13:21   #9415
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,964
Thanked: 1,424 Times
Default Re: Cochin - Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I meant no processions or celebrations on the road to slow you down
Well, our (KL's) Vishu and TN's Puthandu are on 14/4. Even in KA, is it celebrated in a public fashion like say, Vinayaka Chaturthi? I thought Ugadi is a very private and family-only affair.
binand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 14:02   #9416
Distinguished - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,330
Thanked: 4,202 Times
Default Re: Cochin - Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Hi, did you do the Bangalore Kochi leg already? If so please post the updates. I will be doing the same legs next week. Hence I would also like updates on both the legs.
Not yet, planning for the coming weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Consider 5 hr for normal drive. In Kerala always try to drive during late night or early morning to reduce driving time and fatigue.

Which route depends on your starting location. For early morning start both routes will be good, I will probably choose the 4 lane alappuzha road than MC road.
Sure, I will take the alappuzha route. Is it a complete 4L till Trivandrum? If not, how many KMs are in 4L?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
If I manage to start between 3 and 4 AM, I don't think I need to avoid Salem?
We are planning for a similar timing too, latest by 4:00 AM. Salem will be breeze if we cross before 7:00 AM.

Last edited by arun_josie : 3rd April 2016 at 14:25.
arun_josie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:11   #9417
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 98
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Cochin - Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Not yet, planning for the coming weekend.



Sure, I will take the alappuzha route. Is it a complete 4L till Trivandrum? If not, how many KMs are in 4L?
Only the initial 30 kms or so is four lane. Rest is a two lane road ( reasonably wide but heavily trafficked). A 3 AM start would allow it to be covered in about 3.5 to 4 hrs. After 6 AM, I would estimate around 5.5 hrs. In evening traffic, you are looking at 6.5 hrs or more.
MinivanDriver is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 11:35   #9418
BHPian
 
treadmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 404
Thanked: 187 Times
Default Re: Cochin - Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Only worrisome zones seem to be Coimbatore bypass-KL border and The Kuthiran ghat stretch? Since Friday is not a holiday in KL I suppose taking the Palakkad-Shoranur-Thrissur route is probably a self-goal.
I did Thrissur ~ Shoranur stretch to and fro twice in last week and both the times Wadakkanchery ~ Thrissur was more crowded than usual and this will slow you down badly. In addition to this you will loose more time crossing Palakkad town instead if you stick to NH 47 Kuthiraan is the only bottle neck.

On another relief in Madukarai ~ Walayar stretch you can now start using K.G. Chavadi bye pass road, it had a smooth tarmac.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 12:17   #9419
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,817
Thanked: 4,760 Times
Default Re: Cochin - Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
On another relief in Madukarai ~ Walayar stretch you can now start using K.G. Chavadi bye pass road, it had a smooth tarmac.
This is good news, hope you meant the flyover that forks to the left at KG Chavadi and then forks back to the main path of the NH after KG Chavadi bypassing the entire village. This was a work in progress zone during my drive to Palakkad in Dec 2015.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 16:52   #9420
BHPian
 
treadmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 404
Thanked: 187 Times
Default Re: Cochin - Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This is good news, hope you meant the flyover that forks to the left at KG Chavadi and then forks back to the main path of the NH after KG Chavadi bypassing the entire village. This was a work in progress zone during my drive to Palakkad in Dec 2015.
Yes! I meant the same bye pass. While driving from Madukarai it forks to the left near Amrita Engineering college road and forks back in near Sree Narayana Guru College. The main carriage way is still work in progress but then the temporary service road running parallel to the highway is having a good tarmac.

KG Chavadi Bye Pass
Attached Images
 
treadmark is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks