Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2016, 13:21   #9946
BHPian
 
bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 630
Thanked: 406 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Hi, I am planning to drive down to Kerala this Saturday. My plan is to start from Bangalore by 3.30 AM.
We started this early and reached the Vaikundam Saravana bhavan too early, so made it only a bio break and had a late breakfast after Walayar at Malabar Restaurant. This place is around 10-11kms after the Walayar checkpost.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2016, 13:52   #9947
BHPian
 
gadadhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 808
Thanked: 214 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Then there is Nijaguna residency after Gundlupet town, on your left side.
Nijaguna has a boutique hotel listed in their website in Gundulpet town. This is shown as not part of their new Bandipur resort and as a separate entity. Looking for feedback on the food and rooms in the boutiqe hotel and the Bandipur resort if anyone has used their service.
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2016, 13:54   #9948
Senior - BHPian
 
motomaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 864 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Hi, I am planning to drive down to Kerala this Saturday. My plan is to start from Bangalore by 3.30 AM.


--Anoop
Hey Anoop, we are also driving down to Kerala this saturday bbut starting at 6am only. I guess at that time taking the Omalur route makes more sense as breakfast can be finished at Thoppur itself.

As of now no issues with Cauvery I hope.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2016, 15:54   #9949
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,689
Thanked: 4,457 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
2. There is a Saravana Bhavan on right side (also has Sri Saai Stay Inn lodging on first floor of same building) at Reddypalayam. If you take the Omalur detour, when you merge back to NH47, this place is about 5Km there. Though you miss the Saravana Bhavan at Vaigundam, this one is an option for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Can you share GPS coordinates alone?
It's the Sree Saravana Bhavan Classic that is already marked on google maps - here You can get the coordinates from gmaps.

Quote:
We usually reach Saravana Bhavan Vaikundam by 6:30 ~ 6:45 and wait until 7 for breakfast. If there are other options with good restroom will definitely give a try next week.
Not worth waiting at Vaigundam if the Saravana Bhavan isn't open, in about 15-20 minutes you should be able to reach the SSB Classic that I mentioned above with a gmaps link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Nijaguna has a boutique hotel listed in their website in Gundulpet town. This is shown as not part of their new Bandipur resort and as a separate entity. Looking for feedback on the food and rooms in the boutiqe hotel and the Bandipur resort if anyone has used their service.
This is located almost next door to the Hotel Misty Rock (which has a DeShell restaurant inside) and almost diagonally opposite to the CCD at Gundlupet town. When driving from Nanjangud, CCD is on left and Nijanguna, Misty Rock on right. When coming from Chamrajanagar, you should turn right at Gundlupet towards the Nanjangud/Mysore direction to reach these places.
No personal experience at the Gundlupet Nijanguna so can't comment on rooms and food. However, I remember seeing some posts in the Bangalore-Ooty thread about the place (could be a comment no just the food there though).

Last edited by NPV : 19th October 2016 at 15:58.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2016, 19:32   #9950
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,227
Thanked: 7,771 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Nijaguna has a boutique hotel listed in their website in Gundulpet town. This is shown as not part of their new Bandipur resort and as a separate entity. Looking for feedback on the food and rooms in the boutiqe hotel and the Bandipur resort if anyone has used their service.
I had stopped once at this hotel in Gundlepet town around the time it had opened. It looks quite fancy from the outside but felt it very ordinary inside. The restaurant was full of flies and the saunf placed at the reception had ants running all over it. Toilets were ok, but an ordinary set up in a corner.

Not sure if anything has changed now, but our thought when we came out was-If this is their state when new, wonder how they will be once the place is used a bit. Never stopped there again.

Edit: Link to my post on this. Was a year back though. Has a couple of pictures. Link (Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries)

This is what I exactly had written

Quote:
Stopped at the newly opened Nijaguna at Gundlepet (couple of pictures below). Looked good from outside, but in spite of being very new, already looking a little run down inside. Food was average and the saunf served at the end of the meal had a bunch of ants running around. Rest rooms for now were clean(but Indian Style). Rest rooms pretty small, can cater to only 2-3 people at a time. Considering that this may become a popular halt for the Kerala/Ooty crowd, will be interesting to see how they handle the maintenance. Personally, will not be stopping here again. Would prefer CCD or Misty Rock.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 19th October 2016 at 19:35.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2016, 20:39   #9951
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,366
Thanked: 1,123 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
It's better to go via Salem early in the morning. The other route might take 5 - 10 mins extra. There are a lot of eateries on the NH 47 these days. My regular stop for the past 6 years in Hotel Annalakshmi near Perundurai. Decent food, parking, fast service. Toilets are also OK. With 3:30 AM start, you will reach this place by 7:30 AM.

You can take Edappadi - Tharamangalam - Edappadi route while returning. I have been doing that for the past 1 year.
Thank you, I will try the route while returning. 7.30 is too late for me to have breakfast - I feel hungry very early when I drive and is usually one of the first few customers at SharavanaBhavan for Breakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I find that the alternative road is best enjoyed in the early morning time. With a 4 AM start from Whitefield I normally reach Omalur around 6:30-640 AM and join back NH after 45 minutes.
Valid point, and will try this one of these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Anoop - I suggest you consider one of these places for breakfast:
1. Sai Sangeet -

2. There is a Saravana Bhavan on right side (also has Sri Saai Stay Inn lodging on first floor of same building) at Reddypalayam.
Thank you. Option 2 seems like a perfect for us. Will try this for sure if I am taking the Omalur route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
We started this early and reached the Vaikundam Saravana bhavan too early, so made it only a bio break and had a late breakfast after Walayar at Malabar Restaurant. This place is around 10-11kms after the Walayar checkpost.
Wow, that was super fast - my tummy will never let me drive so late without having food

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Hey Anoop, we are also driving down to Kerala this saturday bbut starting at 6am only. I guess at that time taking the Omalur route makes more sense as breakfast can be finished at Thoppur itself.

As of now no issues with Cauvery I hope.
Yes, if you are starting by 6 from Bangalore, it will make sense to take the Omalur route.

--Anoop
theexperthand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 00:13   #9952
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 586 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Nijaguna has a boutique hotel listed in their website in Gundulpet town. This is shown as not part of their new Bandipur resort and as a separate entity. Looking for feedback on the food and rooms in the boutiqe hotel and the Bandipur resort if anyone has used their service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
It looks quite fancy from the outside but felt it very ordinary inside. The restaurant was full of flies and the saunf placed at the reception had ants running all over it. Toilets were ok, but an ordinary set up in a corner.
I stopped at this place for a cup of coffee 2 weeks ago. Was surprised to see the place absolutely deserted at 5:30 in the evening (may be because it was a Thursday) and the impression about the restaurant was similar to what you felt - did seem to be quite ordinary even though it looked pretty fancy from outside. But the coffee they served was quite good.

I didn't use the toilets, but my wife did and her opinion was that it was quite badly maintained and not very clean.

So the overall impression about the place wasn't too good, doesn't seem worthy of a recommendation.
kala is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 08:14   #9953
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,475
Thanked: 8,366 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
So the overall impression about the place wasn't too good, doesn't seem worthy of a recommendation.
Looks like over years the geography and social climate of Gundlupet is changing. Thanks to steady increase (??) of traffic to Ooty and Kerala and more awareness about going by road (?). Multiple eating joints, development of 4-lane roads and the rise in usage of Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet road etc makes me think, many entities will start to come with good options for this town. Wont be surprised next in line will be a good hotel (or hotels) for overnight stay.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 09:06   #9954
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,689
Thanked: 4,457 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

With the flyover construction work in progress at Salem, the westward deviation from NH7 at Omalur for Tharamangalam-Sankari route that leads to NH47 is an option for those heading towards Kerala to use in order to bypass Salem.

Is there a worthwhile eastward route option from Omalur to bypass Salem and head towards Namakkal, etc ? (To avoid the Salem flyover construction related traffic jams, especially during peak hours). Even if this is not very useful when traveling out of Bangalore, it may help on the return journey.

Last edited by NPV : 20th October 2016 at 09:11.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 09:15   #9955
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 1,143 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Is there a worthwhile eastward route option from Omalur to bypass Salem and head towards Namakkal, etc ? (To avoid the Salem flyover construction related traffic jams, especially during peak hours). Even if this is not very useful when traveling out of Bangalore, it may help on the return journey.
There is an option by going via Omalur, Tharamangalam, Sankagiri, Tiruchengode to Namakkal.
If your objective is to proceed beyond Namakkal, then take the Tiruchengode-Paramathi route. By this you can avoid paying toll at Namakkal as well. I have driven on this route before. Very good 2 lane road to drive
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 10:05   #9956
BHPian
 
gadadhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 808
Thanked: 214 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I had stopped once at this hotel in Gundlepet town around the time it had opened. It looks quite fancy from the outside but felt it very ordinary inside. The restaurant was full of flies and the saunf placed at the reception had ants running all over it. Toilets were ok, but an ordinary set up in a corner.

Not sure if anything has changed now, but our thought when we came out was-If this is their state when new, wonder how they will be once the place is used a bit. Never stopped there again.

Edit: Link to my post on this. Was a year back though. Has a couple of pictures. Link (Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries)

This is what I exactly had written
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I stopped at this place for a cup of coffee 2 weeks ago. Was surprised to see the place absolutely deserted at 5:30 in the evening (may be because it was a Thursday) and the impression about the restaurant was similar to what you felt - did seem to be quite ordinary even though it looked pretty fancy from outside. But the coffee they served was quite good.

I didn't use the toilets, but my wife did and her opinion was that it was quite badly maintained and not very clean.

So the overall impression about the place wasn't too good, doesn't seem worthy of a recommendation.
Thanks for that. I guess it is better to keep off from this place. In spite of having good properties, looks like maintenance is an issue with them. Even there old property in Chamrajnagar is below average on maintenance and food quality, but I still got here since the options on the route are very limited.
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 11:07   #9957
BHPian
 
Accent Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 102
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

I travelled from Bangalore to Angamaly on last sat - 15h oct via Salem, Coimbatore, Palakkad. Left at 5:15 am, stopped for breakfast at sree saravana bhavan at 8 am and reach home at 1:15 pm. Returned on 17th via the same route. Both drives were peaceful.
Accent Martin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 14:02   #9958
BHPian
 
gadadhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 808
Thanked: 214 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
It's the Sree Saravana Bhavan Classic that is already marked on google maps - here You can get the coordinates from gmaps.


This is located almost next door to the Hotel Misty Rock (which has a DeShell restaurant inside) and almost diagonally opposite to the CCD at Gundlupet town. When driving from Nanjangud, CCD is on left and Nijanguna, Misty Rock on right. When coming from Chamrajanagar, you should turn right at Gundlupet towards the Nanjangud/Mysore direction to reach these places.
No personal experience at the Gundlupet Nijanguna so can't comment on rooms and food. However, I remember seeing some posts in the Bangalore-Ooty thread about the place (could be a comment no just the food there though).
Thanks NPV. Going by other feedback, looks like not the place to go. JLR will enjoy the favorite spot position for some more time for sure.
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 14:29   #9959
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,689
Thanked: 4,457 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Thanks NPV. Going by other feedback, looks like not the place to go. JLR will enjoy the favorite spot position for some more time for sure.
Oh, the Nijaguna at Gundlupet can in no way be compared to JLR!

However, the Nijaguna Resorts at Chamarajanagar seemed like a good location (probably the rooms are decent as well) and well maintained property, have tried the restaurant on a few occasions and found it to be decent. The advantage of the location is that if you stay there you can do day visits to K Gudi, BR Hills, MM Hills, etc as is it almost at the centre
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 14:47   #9960
BHPian
 
gadadhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 808
Thanked: 214 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Oh, the Nijaguna at Gundlupet can in no way be compared to JLR!

However, the Nijaguna Resorts at Chamarajanagar seemed like a good location (probably the rooms are decent as well) and well maintained property, have tried the restaurant on a few occasions and found it to be decent. The advantage of the location is that if you stay there you can do day visits to K Gudi, BR Hills, MM Hills, etc as is it almost at the centre
I have also tried their restaurant in Chamrajnagar few times for breakfast and lunch. Service was slow, but food was ok. Room tariffs were not so expensive and they do have some Ayurvedic packages in tie-up with Kottackal (famous Ayurveda center from Kerala) and can be a weekend breakout for the Bangalore folks.
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks