Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2010, 19:38   #1351
Senior - BHPian
 
trrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alleppey, Kerala
Posts: 2,113
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoxicator View Post
So, getting off NH47 at Angamali and then cross over at Mokkanur and rejoining NH47 at Chalakudy - going into my trip book.
From Cochin side, it is past Angamali. The junction is known as KARAYAMPARAMBU Junction.

When you cross the bridge at Mokkanur, you will land right in front of Silver Storm water theme park. A right takes you to the falls and a left to Chalakudy and NH47.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoxicator View Post
Noticed that you are from Alleppey. Any suggestions on which(type?) House Boat to book?
You have 1 bed room and 2 bedroom house boats with AC (and even without AC, I think also bigger ones). The routine is that you get in around noon, lunch on boat, go around until evening, anchor at dusk, dinner and night in the boat, back to shore at 9 to 10, with break fast on the boat.

Rates vary with season. Bargain.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 01:33   #1352
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 135
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

I am planning a road trip this weekend from Hyderabad to Wayanad with one night stay in Mysore. Want to know the best route for HYD-MYSORE with recommended places for breaks (clean + good food). I am travelling with my family and have one year old one with us.

Appreciate your help and Thanks in advance !
kanwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 16:20   #1353
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwal View Post
Want to know the best route for HYD-MYSORE with recommended places for breaks (clean + good food). I am travelling with my family and have one year old one with us.

Appreciate your help and Thanks in advance !
See this thread, which is more relavant.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 02:54   #1354
Senior - BHPian
 
govigov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin!!!!!
Posts: 1,271
Thanked: 382 Times
Default

guys, need an update on the cochin-kannur-magalore-kollur route.

has rain wrecked havoc on the nh17?
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 01:32   #1355
Senior - BHPian
 
govigov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin!!!!!
Posts: 1,271
Thanked: 382 Times
Default

update on the above?
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 12:15   #1356
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,443
Thanked: 706 Times
Default

Guys,

My friend did Kerala trip last week, he updated that NH47 invited him with potholes here and there. And this made the journey dangerous since other vehicles take sharp left and right to avoid potholes. May be its better to rely on public transport till the monsoon ends and road improves.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 20:09   #1357
Senior - BHPian
 
trrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alleppey, Kerala
Posts: 2,113
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
guys, need an update on the cochin-kannur-magalore-kollur route.

has rain wrecked havoc on the nh17?
As on 3rd / 4th of this month, Cochin - Trichur - Kunnamkulam and onwards to Kannur (Parassinikkadavu Temple) was painless to drive.

The return via Kodungalloor was also fine.

Last edited by trrk : 19th June 2010 at 20:10.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 13:02   #1358
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 139
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

How is the road condition Blr -> Kutta - > mananthavady - > Kalpetta. Is it drivable in the night ? I came to know from bus travellers that road is not that good.
Is this the only way or any other alternate route to Kalpetta in the night since the normal gundelpet route is closed for traffic in the night.

Last edited by vinu_pm : 21st June 2010 at 13:04.
vinu_pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 17:08   #1359
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_pm View Post
How is the road condition Blr -> Kutta - > mananthavady - > Kalpetta. Is it drivable in the night ? I came to know from bus travellers that road is not that good.
This stretch is discussed in detail in this thread.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 19:37   #1360
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,085
Thanked: 583 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_pm View Post
How is the road condition Blr -> Kutta - > mananthavady - > Kalpetta. Is it drivable in the night ? I came to know from bus travellers that road is not that good.
Is this the only way or any other alternate route to Kalpetta in the night since the normal gundelpet route is closed for traffic in the night.
The route which is marked on that map is not a viable option during night because the section through Nagarahole WLS (on the Hunsur-Kutta stretch) is open only from 6AM to 6PM. So I think you'll have to take the Titimathi / Gonikoppal route from Hunsur and then go on towards Kutta. Not sure about the road conditions now since it has been quite a while since I travelled that way.
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 23:28   #1361
Senior - BHPian
 
govigov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin!!!!!
Posts: 1,271
Thanked: 382 Times
Default

@all,

excellent roads so far to kollur. did the trip 2 days back. route taken

cochin-goshree bridges-chavakad-ponani-kuttipuram-calicut new bypass, turn at the end to kannur, right on to the canal road, on to the the NH17 from there. (then the usual route, bypass kunnamkulam, edapal, calicut town)

the roads in between kannur and kasargod is not do great. after manjeshwar, entry to mangalore by pass and the industrial areas have construction works going on, afer the industrial area, floor away all the way tp udupi, silky smooth roads all the way, turn afer kundapura to kollur, excellent roads all the way.

if any one is headed that way! please enjoy the roads after mangalore.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 23:49   #1362
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,345 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
cochin-goshree bridges-chavakad-ponani-kuttipuram-calicut new bypass, turn at the end to kannur, right on to the canal road, on to the the NH17 from there. (then the usual route, bypass kunnamkulam, edapal, calicut town)
What is this new Calicut bypass? One more?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 01:20   #1363
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,085
Thanked: 583 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
What is this new Calicut bypass? One more?
The old byepass started from Meenchantha and passed Mavoor Road quite close to the city (just about half a km or less from the KSRTC bus stand), went through Eranjipalam on Wayanad Road and joined Kannur Road at West Hill. Most of this road has now become part of the main city, so one can't really call it a bye-pass anymore.

The new one starts from about 10 kms further south from Ramanattukara (So bypasses even Feroke) and crosses Calicut-Wayanad road near Malapparambu close to the Civil station. I think the stretch from there to Kannur road is still incomplete, so not sure where it is supposed to join Kannur road.
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 09:07   #1364
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,345 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The old byepass started from Meenchantha and passed Mavoor Road quite close to the city (just about half a km or less from the KSRTC bus stand), went through Eranjipalam on Wayanad Road and joined Kannur Road at West Hill. Most of this road has now become part of the main city, so one can't really call it a bye-pass anymore.

The new one starts from about 10 kms further south from Ramanattukara (So bypasses even Feroke) and crosses Calicut-Wayanad road near Malapparambu close to the Civil station. I think the stretch from there to Kannur road is still incomplete, so not sure where it is supposed to join Kannur road.
Thanks, kala.
Sounds good. When do you think the balance section will get complete?
If driving through at night, I find it better to go through Calicut city. Last time, I took the old bypass, I got lost!!
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:55   #1365
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,085
Thanked: 583 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Thanks, kala.
Sounds good. When do you think the balance section will get complete?
If driving through at night, I find it better to go through Calicut city. Last time, I took the old bypass, I got lost!!
Yes - the old bypass road is a bit confusing especially in the section between Wayanad Road and Calicut-Kannur road because there is no well defined bye-pass road there, it's made up of roads that existed before.

No clue as to what's the progress of the new bypass northwards from Malapparamba since it's a long time I travelled towards Kannur from Calicut (My trips are almost always towards Bangalore - so I take a right turn on Wayanad road). Will try to get the info from my relatives in Calicut.
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update convivial Travelogues 26 6th September 2016 15:46
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised darklord Street Experiences 39 11th February 2016 08:31
Horrible private bus drivers in Kerala roads Traxter Street Experiences 33 9th December 2014 16:43
Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads? rippergeo Travelogues 103 7th June 2012 06:29
Kerala Roads - Unimaginably Pitiable condition emkay456 Street Experiences 30 1st February 2008 20:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks