NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Blr to Dharmastala/Kukke/Sringeri/Horanadu

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
Help needed on the below routes :
Blore to Dharmastala
Dharmastala to Kukke
From Nagarbhavi it should be easy to get onto NH4 (Tumkur Road) towards Peenya. Look for Mangalore direction board at Nelamangala - you need to turn left onto the Mangalore Road (NH 48). The route would be
Bangalore-Nelamangala-Hassan-Sakleshpur-Shiradi Ghat.
It's quite straight forward since you need to keep driving on NH 48, most of the towns like Hassan, etc are bypassed.

From Shiradi Ghat road, you will need to turn right towards Dharmasthala, you can see the signage for this.

From Dharmasthala, trace your route back to Shiradi ghat and at Gundya you need to turn right towards Kukke.

(Basically, Dharmasthala and Kukke are on either side of Shiradi Ghat/NH48).

Map link here

I think Shiradi Ghat is holding up as per recent reports and rest of the route is in excellent condition from Bangalore upto Shiradi.

Do check on latest road conditions to Kukke - due to heavy monsoon, the Kumardhara river has been overflowing and it may be difficult to get to Kukke.

Last edited by NPV : 28th July 2014 at 23:49.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 00:14   #182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Blore to Dharmastala
Dharmastala to Kukke
Kukke to Mysore

Call up a hotel in Kukke and ask them about the monsoon. Its quite heavy now.

Routes:

BLR-Dharmasthala : Bangalore-Nelamangala-Hassan-Sakleshpur-Gundya-Dharmasthala

Dharmasthala-Kukke : Dharmasthala-Nellyadi-Kukke.

Kukke-Mysore : Kukke-Gudya-Sakleshpur-Hassan-Holenarasipur-Mysore
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 12:16   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Bhpians,

I am planning to visit Dharmastala and Kukke this weekend, need help on the road condition and the route. I stay in Nagarabhavi and will be starting early morning on Friday. Will reach Dharmastala first and plan to reach Kukke by friday evening , visit Kukke on Sat and leave to Mysore and will be driving a ford fiesta diesel. Am not sure on the current road condition since it has been raining these days as per the news and I have never been to these places before.

Blore to Dharmastala
Dharmastala to Kukke
Kukke to Mysore
You can choose Shiradi instead of Charmadi ghat now. Route to Dharmasthala from Nelyadi has lot of Potholes. And also Kumaradhara river is overflowing. Just enquire local people in Gundya about the water level while going towards Kukke.
meetbadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2014, 22:48   #184
BHPian

Hi Bhpians,

Here is an update on the route. Had been to dharmastala and kukke , returned today morning.

Route taken to Dharmastala : Nelamangala >> Hassan >> sakleshpura>>shiradi >> dharmastala

As many have commented, shiradi ghat is holding up but has few rough patches at few of the curves but driveable.
After dharmastala we went to visit ujjire temple, it is closed from 2pm to 4pm. We waited till 4 then visited ujjire temple and then started back to kukke. It was already 5 pm when we left and was continuously raining the whole time.
Word of advise : if you are planning to visit kukke after dharmastala please leave early so that you have enough time to reach kukke before dusk.

From Dharmastala to Kukke :

Initial plan was to come to gundya junction and go 22 kms to reach kukke but it has been raining cats and dogs there, we reached there on friday evening and it had been raining the whole day. As expected kumaradhara river was overflowing and traffic was halted.
Asked a few about any alternate route and this is what we took :

From Gundya go for about 10kms you will get small junction >> take a right and head towards Kadaba. From there take the route to Panja and from there Kukke. The round about is about 35 kms but it is better because I heard people waited overnight in cars and buses for the water level to go down so that they could cross the road.

gundya>>kadaba>>panja >> kukke

The road is narrow and curvy till panja and you will go off the road if anything comes from opposite direction but road is good.

Word of advise : Driving gets difficult if its raining and if its dark so make sure you plan your day so that you reach kukke before it gets dark.

From Kukke towards Mysore :

Initial plan was to to somwarpet>>kushalnagar>>mysore but took this :

Sullya >> madikeri>>kushalnagar>>mysore

Few small stretches towards sullya is under construction but most of the route is good and one can enjoy the drive.
prguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 22:55   #185
BHPian

Default Bangalore to Kukke and Dharmasthala

I'm planning to drive to Kukke and Dharmasthala in the coming weekend. Which the best route to Kukke from Bangalore?

I'm aware of the route through Sakleshpur and Shiradi Ghat. I realize that Shiradi Ghat was closed some time back. I'm not sure whether it is open now. The earlier travelogues through Shiradi Ghat look scary with terrible roads and sometimes huge pileup of vehicles. Is this route open now, and how is the condition of the road now?

If Shiradi Ghat is closed, which route can be taken?

What is the best way to see Kukke and Dharmasthala? My planned itinerary is:
Saturday: Start from Bangalore at 7 AM -> check-in to hotel -> visit Dharmasthala temple -> return to Kukke temple
Sunday: Visit Kukke temple -> return to Bangalore

Is this itinerary good enough? Can I add some other place to explore?
scorpion_blore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 23:00   #186
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore to Kukke and Dharmasthala

Shiradi ghat is open and roads are good. You can visit kukke or dharmasthala in either order since they have access routes via Shiradi on either side. At Kukke there is a newish hotel Vijay Comforts that looked good when we stopped for breakfast on our trip to Bekal last year.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 12:22   #187
BHPian

Default re: Bangalore to Dharmastala/Kukke/Sringeri/Horanadu : Route Queries

Folks,
I am planning for a trip to Sringeri from Bangalore with 7 people (including 4 senior citizens and on 1.5 year old).
Planning to drive a Zoom Car Scorpio.

Please update with the latest road conditions and route options.

Planning to start around 2:00 pm on a Friday(2nd Oct) and reach there by 8:00 pm
Is that possible in this 300 Kms stretch?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Maverick79
Maverick79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 09:41   #188
BHPian

Hi friends. I am planning to drive from Mysore to Sringeri this month end. Thankful for update on road conditions and the best route to take.
vartakavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 09:48   #189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartakavi View Post
Hi friends. I am planning to drive from Mysore to Sringeri this month end. Thankful for update on road conditions and the best route to take.
Mysore - KR Nagar - Holenarasipur - Hassan - Belur - Chikkamagulur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri

Thats the best possible road as per my opinion. In general good to decent roads all along. Beyond Aldur roads turn to twisties.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 17:39   #190

Hi team,

I am planning to visit Horanadu from Bangalore during the week of 2nd May. We are a 4 member family with 1 infant. I would be driving Xcent Auto car.

Following are the queries that I have:

1. We are looking to take atleast 2or 3 breaks before reaching the destination considering the elders cannot take long drive at a stretch. We are mainly looking for options with neat washrooms on the way. Could you please suggest good options for breaks

2. Please suggest good options for vegetarian food.

3. Place to stay in Horanadu or any other place in the vicinity, not too costly probably.

4. I plan to drive only in the day time. Any suggestions when to start and the number of hours it might take us?

5. Finally the route, what is the best option on basis of distance and road condition.

6. How accurate is "google maps" or "Drive" in guiding me in this route.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Venkat K
kayvwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2016, 11:00   #191
BHPian

Hi Venkat,

Did you do this trip. Pl post road directions and conditions.
Srinivas C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 18:40   #192

I haven't undertaken the trip yet due to last minute changes.
I intend to do it in the 1st week of July.
Should you make it before then please share relevant information.
Old 26th May 2016, 16:26   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayvwar
5. Finally the route, what is the best option on basis of distance and road condition.
a) Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Kalasa - Horanadu. Scenic. Very scenic. Lots of hairpins from Kottigehara to Kalasa.

OR

b) Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Kalasa - Horanadu. Scenic. Less scenic than the first. Less hairpins/twisties.

Quote:

1. We are looking to take atleast 2or 3 breaks before reaching the destination considering the elders cannot take long drive at a stretch. We are mainly looking for options with neat washrooms on the way. Could you please suggest good options for breaks
a) Channarayapatna bypass : Kamat or A2B
b) Hassan : Sri Krishna
c) Belur temple for a refresher

After that, if taking route a)
d) Wheelz café before Mudigere
e) There is another café between Mudigere and Kottigehara, don't remember name, but decent place
f) Kelaguru Tea estate : Tea break between Kottigehara and Kalasa
g) Kalasa : Decent restaurants available. BUt you will be about 20 mins from Horanadu

OR

if taking route b)
d) Bhadra Stop Café Near Balehonnur
e) Kalasa : Decent restaurants available. BUt you will be about 20 mins from Horanadu

Quote:
2. Please suggest good options for vegetarian food.
See above

Quote:
3. Place to stay in Horanadu or any other place in the vicinity, not too costly probably.
a) Bhadranivas rooms, Search on internet/Hornadu temple page
b) Suprabha residency, Kalasa

If you like homestays a little away ( a few minutes drive
a) Upasana, Samse

Quote:
4. I plan to drive only in the day time. Any suggestions when to start and the number of hours it might take us?
Plan for 7 hours drive time if you drive steadily. Stoppages extra. Start really early and beat traffic at Bangalore periphery. If Saturday, start even earlier and get past Hassan as soon as you can. Plan for moments to savour the rain as you now are going in July.
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2016, 09:23   #194

That is very descriptive indeed. Feel much better planning now.
Thanks a lot.
Old 29th June 2016, 17:32   #195
Senior - BHPian

Last weekend I had been to Horanadu.
Onward journey I took
Aldur-Balehonnur-Magundi-Balehole-Haluvalli-Horanadu
This road is in fantastic conditions, freshly tarred throughout and bliss to drive.
Return
Hornadu-Kalasa-Javali-Balur-Kottigehara-Mudigere
This route though is in good condition but it's deteriorating quite fast due to heavy rains.
Potholes are about to pop out very soon.

Though route via Balehonnur-Magundi-Balehole is little far I would recommend this route.
Both routes are equally scenic
sushrutha is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote