Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street and Travel Experiences > Route / Travel Queries

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2013, 16:37   #436
BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad <-> Chennai : Best route, time, distance & road conditions

Did the Chennai - Vijayawada stretch today morning. Will be doing Vij-Hyd on friday.
Started from Besant Nagar at 7AM, was at Bandar Road, Vij by 1 PM.
Route - Besant Nagar- Guindy - Porur - Chennai Bypass - Tada - Nellore - Chilakaluripet - Vij.

The roads in TN have lots of diversions, and flyover construction, 2 real nasty crests where the road sections don't meet at the same level.
Lot of these flyover constructions have begun in AP also now, these were not there last year. It is still a decent drive, but nowhere as effortless as before.
bhuvan_prasad is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote

Old 3rd June 2013, 21:50   #437
BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad <-> Chennai : Best route, time, distance & road conditions

Bhuvan - 6hrs..is pretty quick considering you started @ 7am..I am sure you maintained avg of minimum 100km/hr..I heard that new toll gates have comeup now on CHN-VJY stretch !!
virgovencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 23:18   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgovencat View Post
Bhuvan - 6hrs..is pretty quick considering you started @ 7am..I am sure you maintained avg of minimum 100km/hr..I heard that new toll gates have comeup now on CHN-VJY stretch !!
Since I was traveling alone, stoppages were minimized. Yes, 2-3 new toll gates have come up after Kavali, out of these i think only one was functional as of now. As with all highway drives, as soon as I loose speed, I try and get back to cruising speed as soon as possible, to maintain the average.

Did Vijayawada - Hyderabad on Friday, 31st. Started from Bandar Road, Vijayawada, reached home in Himayathnagar, Hyd in 3 hours 40minutes. Took the ORR, and then the airport route via the PV Narasimha Rao Expressway, around 320Km.
Hyd- Vij road has become a dream, and other than a few busy towns, and the heavy traffic at times, it is a great drive.

Last edited by bhuvan_prasad : 3rd June 2013 at 23:19.
bhuvan_prasad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 16:21   #439
BHPian

Any recent updates on the Narketpalli - Nalgonda - Addankki 4 laning works?
venki.bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 18:17   #440
MDe
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
I took the route a couple of weeks back. Ongole->Addanki, four laning still on. Addanki->Pidugurrala->Nalgonda, lots of good road stretches, combines with left right diversions, however most of the diversions are well marked and easily identifiable. I did not find my journey on this road tiring. Its a decent route to take from chennai to hyderabad.
MDe is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 19:08   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDe View Post
I took the route a couple of weeks back. Ongole->Addanki, four laning still on. Addanki->Pidugurrala->Nalgonda, lots of good road stretches, combines with left right diversions, however most of the diversions are well marked and easily identifiable. I did not find my journey on this road tiring. Its a decent route to take from chennai to hyderabad.
MDe: That is indeed good news. Can you share how much journey time it took in these stretches. I might drive down next month want to explore this option instead of going through VJA.
venki.bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 10:19   #442
MDe
BHPian

Quote:
MDe: That is indeed good news. Can you share how much journey time it took in these stretches. I might drive down next month want to explore this option instead of going through VJA.
I started from Porur in Chennai around 6:30AM and reached Gachibowli (through ORR) around 5:45 in the evening. Had 3 small breaks of 5-10 mins each and one lunch break of 45 mins at Pidugurrala. There is a Ghar dhaba before Ongole at a BP petrol bunk which is neat with good facilities. Overall, I drove around 80-100kmph at the max all through. Hope you have a safe drive.
MDe is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 21:17   #443
BHPian

Hi MDe, Can you please share the route you took? I'm planning a trip from Hyderabad to Chennai, & would like feedback on the route & road conditions.
crisscross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 13:28   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
Hi MDe, Can you please share the route you took? I'm planning a trip from Hyderabad to Chennai, & would like feedback on the route & road conditions.
CrissCross this is the route MDe has taken http://goo.gl/maps/ojs06

You could drive straight to Vijayawada and then onwards to Chennai via Guntur-Ongole-Nellore.Not much of time difference in between the two routes.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 17:56   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Did Chennai-Hyderabad-Chennai last week. Left Chennai at 7 am and took the above route after Ongole. Four laning work still on. Lots of unmarked speed breakers/rumblers along the diversions and roads have a lot of huge potholes. To top it off it started raining heavily by the time we reached Pidiguralla so navigating this stretch became a bit tiring. Once we hit NH9 again after taking a left from Narketpalli the roads became a dream again. We finally reached our destination in Secunderabad at around 9:30 pm after navigating the evening rush hour in Hyderabad.
On our return we left Secunderabad at 6:30 am and took the Vijayawada route. Dream roads all the way to Chennai. Its 92 kms longer with a few more tolls but you don't feel it at all. Reached home in Chennai at exactly 5:30 pm.
Best route to take as of now is via Vijayawada for effortless stress-free driving. The Addankki route should take a little more than a year to complete I guess.
Kevciti is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 12:42   #446
BHPian

I think that Addanki to Narketpalli stretch road widening has been going on forever. IIRC it was started somewhere in 2009 when I was a regular between my hometown of Nalgonda and B-School at Chennai. Used to commute by car and it was a pain. During that time, even the HYD-VJA strecth was undergoing widening. But the latter got completed much faster
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 18:00   #447

Quote:
All - I did the above route last week. As noted in the posts above, you should watch out for the following:
- a few unmarked speed breakers and potholes (mainly between miryalaguda and piduguralla),
- diversions where the road becomes two-laned and
- very average stretches when driving through the towns in between.

If you are driving in the night, you need to be more careful and vigilant. However, if you drive during the daytime, you should be able to manage most of these with relative ease. This is a decent alternative as the route easily saves about an hour compared to the vijayawada route (i did that a month ago). Timings are as follows:

1. Hyd (Gachibowli) to Narketpallli - 1 and half hours
2. Narketpalli to Medarametla - 4 hours
3. Medarametla to Chennai (Perambur) - 4.5 hours

(time above do not include breaks).

Cheers!
cs.giri is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 19:45   #448
LDJ
BHPian

Hello All,

Any updates on the Chennai - Vijayawada route?

Is this route complete in terms of 4-way laning? Any detours or places of precaution?

Thanks in advance!
LDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 20:09   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDJ View Post
Is this route complete in terms of 4-way laning? Any detours or places of precaution?
The answers to your questions are: Yes and Yes

The 4-laning has been complete for quite a few years I think. According to NHAI documents, the entire section was 4-laned by 2006, with many sections being complete as early as 2003.

But detours are in place now as the section is being transformed from a 4-lane to a 6-lane road.

Last edited by julupani : 23rd September 2013 at 20:14.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2013, 18:13   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDJ View Post
Hello All,

Any updates on the Chennai - Vijayawada route?

Is this route complete in terms of 4-way laning?...
You surely mean the 6-laning? In terms of the road condition itself, I did this a couple of months ago and it was good for most stretches. Here is how i remember it:

1. Chennai (Red Hills) to Gummidipoondi - Average. 6-laning and by-passing of towns in progress. There were quite a few diversions here. One small comfort is that the forward and reverse traffic is split. But do expect bikes and carts coming in opposite direction as you drive through!!
2. Gummidipoondi to Chilakaluripet - 100% laned. However, do expect bad stretches sporadically due to wear and tear. You are talking about a very busy road that is atleast 7-8 years old.
3. Chilakaluripet to Vijayawada - Average again. Same problems as the chennai to gummidipoondi stretch.

Hope this helps.
cs.giri is offline   Reply With Quote