Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 15th July 2012, 22:39   #331
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad to Chennai - Best route, time, distance & road conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
8hrs from chennai to anantpur is more than sufficient.
Thanks Ranjit, any idea how the traffic will be Palamaner to Anantapur which am guessing 9pm-midnight?
narayans80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 18:01   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Is it possible to reach Anantapur by midnight, if I start from Madras at 4pm via Chittoor,Madanapalle ? Would I run into lot of traffic for my start timing ? The destination is actually Mantralayam, the idea is to cover much ground on day 1. The only concern is traffic on Ranipet-Palamaner and Palamaner-Anantapur. Any inputs?
Narayan, I would personally avoid taking this route during night drive, reason being that this is not a 4-laned highway and the smaller towns have more or less no facilities in case of breakdown.

When I was driving on this route, there were a couple of places where there was no road shoulder. Went down on one of them and had a flat tyre (only lost air). The tyre shops did not have a tubeless puncture repair kit and neither did they have a tube for the tyre. Rather leave Chennai very early in the morning and reach Anantapur by noon
gauravdgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 12:25   #333

Hi Everyone,
First of all, I would like to thank all of you for sharing such detailed information regarding the entire route...Awesome guys...really helping us plan out trip...!!

A tiny introduction form my end...I am a Wipro employee working for the past year here in Hyderabad...Love traveling...love cars..bikes...love good company along with awesome road trips with sommth rides...!!

Now,I met a few like minded people here in Wipro itself and as luck would have it...a road trip sparked into all our heads all at the same time...So,Without wasting any time we started digging up all the possible details we could to see where can we go whose memories would last us for a life time...and the answer was PONDICHERRY...

So,for the past whole 2 months we have been doing nothing but R&D for the route,thinking of all the possibilities we might encounter enroute...and finally what exactly we'll do when we reach Pondi...

Now,to make the trip happen...we needed vehicles...so we decided that the best option would be our very own bikes:

1.Hero Honda CBZ Extreme(150cc)
2.Yamaha FZ-16(160cc)
3.Yamaha Gladiator(125cc)

3 sweet,beautiful examples of awesome 2 wheeler machinery...!!!

So,the date is coming up..27th this month is when we hit the roads...3 bikes,6 guys...HYD-CHN-PONDI...AND BACK..!!

Read a lot about the routes and as of now...planning to take the foll. route:
HYD-SURYAPET-VIJAYWADA-GUNTUR-ONGOLE-NELLORE-CHENNAI-PONDICHERRY

I would love have suggestions regarding th route/trip and things we should plan for...
abir.scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 15:30   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abir.scot View Post
1.Hero Honda CBZ Extreme(150cc)
2.Yamaha FZ-16(160cc)
3.Yamaha Gladiator(125cc)

HYD-SURYAPET-VIJAYWADA-GUNTUR-ONGOLE-NELLORE-CHENNAI-PONDICHERRY
Why dont you consider going via Bangalore as opposed to going via Chennai.Distance would be more or less the same.But conditions all the way from Hyderabad to Pondy via the NH7 till Krishnagiri is far better(eating/wayside facilities etc) than the NH5 route.From Krishnagiri divert towards T.V.Malai-Pondy.Overall should be around 900-950kms from Hyd to Pondy via this route.You could stopover at Blore and do the drive to Pondy the next day.BLR-Pondy via the below route for a car is around 5-5.5hrs and Hyd airport to Hebbal for a car is around 7.5hrs.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...ra=ls&t=m&z=10
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 17:40   #335

Quote:
Why dont you consider going via Bangalore as opposed to going via Chennai.Distance would be more or less the same.But conditions all the way from Hyderabad to Pondy via the NH7 till Krishnagiri is far better(eating/wayside facilities etc) than the NH5 route.From Krishnagiri divert towards T.V.Malai-Pondy.Overall should be around 900-950kms from Hyd to Pondy via this route.You could stopover at Blore and do the drive to Pondy the next day.BLR-Pondy via the below route for a car is around 5-5.5hrs and Hyd airport to Hebbal for a car is around 7.5hrs.
Thanks Ranjit.We were actually planning a night halt at Chennai and also getting to ride the GQ...Lets see. Btw would you have nay idea regarding the condition of both the routes currently...construction wise weather wise...which one would you prefer...don'd worry about food/facilities...we're carrying most of our necessities with us...do let me know about the road conditions...
Old 17th July 2012, 20:18   #336
BHPian

Quote:
I would love have suggestions regarding th route/trip and things we should plan for...
I would be worried about the weather. Please take care to increase your visibility at all times of the day and try not to over-speed. Hope you are travelling only during the day and have ample time so as to not rush.
DWind is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 22:27   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ranjit.We were actually planning a night halt at Chennai and also getting to ride the GQ...Lets see. Btw would you have nay idea regarding the condition of both the routes currently...construction wise weather wise...which one would you prefer...don'd worry about food/facilities...we're carrying most of our necessities with us...do let me know about the road conditions...
HYD-VJA is still work in progress.So that would slow you down a little.A car takes around 6hrs to do this.VJA-Guntur 6laning is in progress so thats another bottleneck.From thereon till Red Hills(Chennai outskirts)no problems,4laned.NH5 has a lot of animal crossing happening all the time so keep your eyes open for that.We lost somebody doing the saddlesore on this route,when he crashed against the sidewall of a bridge near Ongole and fell down onto the tracks.

Weather is fickle all over the country at the moment.Nobody can predict when and where it would rain(even IMD is not able to do it correctly this year).So as long as the South West monsoon clouds are present in the country,be ready for rains anywhere.

Maybe you could go via Chennai and come back via Bangalore thereby avoiding the boredom of riding the same routes.Road quality between the NH5 and NH7,definitely NH7 gets my vote.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 00:38   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HYD-VJA is still work in progress.So that would slow you down a little.A car takes around 6hrs to do this.VJA-Guntur 6laning is in progress so thats another bottleneck.From thereon till Red Hills(Chennai outskirts)no problems,4laned.NH5 has a lot of animal crossing happening all the time so keep your eyes open for that.We lost somebody doing the saddlesore on this route,when he crashed against the sidewall of a bridge near Ongole and fell down onto the tracks.

Weather is fickle all over the country at the moment.Nobody can predict when and where it would rain(even IMD is not able to do it correctly this year).So as long as the South West monsoon clouds are present in the country,be ready for rains anywhere.

Maybe you could go via Chennai and come back via Bangalore thereby avoiding the boredom of riding the same routes.Road quality between the NH5 and NH7,definitely NH7 gets my vote.
I vote for the NH7 too especially considering one can reach BLR in the time it takes to reach Vijayawada .

If one has to go to Madras via NH5, it is better to take the Nagarjunasagar, Macherla route. I however still vote for the route via Anantapur, Kadiri, Madanapalle, Palmaner and Katpadi as the best way of getting to MAA from HYD.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 09:18   #339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
Bangalore option is very good, but I think its at least 150km more. Another option can be drive till Vellore.
(Hyd-Anantpur-Kadiri-Madanapalle-Palamaner-Vellore) or

Via Kadiri/Madanapalle

Hyd (NH7 till Chikkaballapur) - Chintamani-MUlbagal-Venkagirikota-Gudiyatam-Vellore

Via Bangalore Outskirts

There are decent hotels to stay in Vellore. Then the next day you can finish off the rest.

I agree that Nh7 is faster and the best. But only point I had in mind was if 150km is too much of an extra.Hence the alternate point of view.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 16:27   #340

Okay.Now what we decided is that we'll take the better route, i.e. the B'lore route without touching or entering B'lore.
Tentative route :

HYD-KURNOOL-KADIRI-MADANAPALLE-CHITTOOR-TAMBARAM- PONDICHERRY

Date of Travelling:27th July'12
Total Distance:901 KM (764 KM + 137 KM)
Start Time: 04:00 A.M
Ideal Travelling time(acc. to google maps):12 hrs + 2 hrs(from Tambaram to Pondi)
Practical Time [Assuming weather/food breaks/misc.halts]:18 hrs (15hrs + 3hrs)
ETA at Tambaram (next to Chennai): 7:00 P.M

Will do a night halt at Tambaram, and set off for Pondi the foll. morning around 8.

How does this plan and route sound...??

There is another alternative of going via Nandayal-kadappa right after Kurnool and skipping the kadiri-Madanapalle route,saves us about 50 odd Kms,but dont know much about this route.Anybody who know's about this route or the previous route do let me know.
Old 20th July 2012, 06:13   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Okay.Now what we decided is that we'll take the better route, i.e. the B'lore route without touching or entering B'lore.
Tentative route :

[b]HYD-KURNOOL-KADIRI-MADANAPALLE-CHITTOOR-TAMBARAM- PONDICHERRY

There is another alternative of going via Nandayal-kadappa right after Kurnool and skipping the kadiri-Madanapalle route,saves us about 50 odd Kms,but dont know much about this route.Anybody who know's about this route or the previous route do let me know.
Please avoid the Kurnool - Nandyal - Kdappa route. 4 laning construction is on full swing and lots of diversions and surface betwen kurnool - nandyal is not that great.
venki.bala is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 11:13   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

[b]HYD-KURNOOL-KADIRI-MADANAPALLE-CHITTOOR-TAMBARAM- PONDICHERRY
Route is good.No problems on this route.

Quote:
There is another alternative of going via Nandayal-kadappa right after Kurnool
Dont take this route,4 laning in progress,too many diversions and potholes.

Since you are anyways budgeting for a 14-15hr ride,then why bother with a break at Tambaram,you might as well ride straight to Pondy from Chittor via Vellore-TV Malai-Gingee-Tindivanam-Pondy,unless you must go to Chennai.

Tindivanam-Pondy is again 4 laned.If you must break journey,you could stay at Chittor or at Vellore,good hotels at both places.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 12:44   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Route is good.No problems on this route.

Dont take this route,4 laning in progress,too many diversions and potholes.

Since you are anyways budgeting for a 14-15hr ride,then why bother with a break at Tambaram,you might as well ride straight to Pondy from Chittor via Vellore-TV Malai-Gingee-Tindivanam-Pondy,unless you must go to Chennai.

Tindivanam-Pondy is again 4 laned.If you must break journey,you could stay at Chittor or at Vellore,good hotels at both places.
Ranjit is right, this route is best if Pondy is the goal, unless there is a need to visit Chennai. Recently friends did this route and was fine all the way.
srikanthpotluri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 21:44   #344
Senior - BHPian

Agree with Ranjit, no point in staying at Tambaram. Pondy is another 2.5 hr drive thereon even if you have to go through TBM. Otherwise take Chittoor-Ranipet-Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondy. This is the route off late followed by most Bangalore-Pondy 'commuters'.
narayans80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:22   #345

Thanks again everyone for the inputs for the route.The reason we are making a halt in tambaram is, that we'll be picking up another bike from tambaram and heading forward for Pondi.

Some here also suggested the following rout,it is a little longer but appreantly we'll be on the NH7 most of the time hence getting a better route throughout.

Kindly suggest on this route...
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh to Tambaram, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps