Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 24th October 2012, 18:28   #376
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries

4:40 AM, I left my house near APPA junction. Super smooth drive with no breaks to Vijayawada. Entered city at 8:30 - 8:40. Traffic diversions due to Dassera. Got lost. Left the city at 9:20 after a decent breakfast at a small roadside kart.

NH 5 has lost its charm. It now resembles a city road with normal traffic. Lots of bikes and autos. The last 50-60 kms into Chennai were horrible. Did not see any warning boards and got stuck in a completely cut up part on Erukancheri High Road.
I reached Central at around 4:20 pm.

Last edited by bblost : 24th October 2012 at 19:04.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 11:31   #377
BHPian

Drove down from Chennai last night.
Started from Thuraipakkam 12noon took about 1.30 hrs to reach the Redhills through
Ashoka pillar and Anna nagar.Delay due to Metro work going on.
Worthwhile taking the Chennai bypass from Tambaram to reach Redhills.
Six laning work going on till Tada so some diversions.
Ongole to Vijayawada lot of diversions and service lane drivings but moving traffic and
heavy traffic between Guntur-Vijayawada.Reached Vijayawada 6.30pm.
Trafic diversion at Vijayawada due to Dusera and was able to exit at 8.15pm.
Reached Suryapet 9.30pm stopped at Restaurant 7 on the bypass good facilities.
Reached home 12 midnight.
The road between Vijayawada-Hyderabad is good, well marked and quality of roadwork
is excellent.

Last edited by gajadonga : 25th October 2012 at 11:33.
gajadonga is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 20:07   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Drove down from Chennai last night.
Started from Thuraipakkam 12noon took about 1.30 hrs to reach the Redhills through
Gajadonga Sir, Any updates on the Narketpalli - Addanki (SH2) 4 laning? This would be a wonderful alternative to Chennai without touching Vijayawada. But I think its been in construction for a long time, right?
venki.bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 09:32   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Gajadonga Sir, Any updates on the Narketpalli - Addanki (SH2) 4 laning? This would be a wonderful alternative to Chennai without touching Vijayawada. But I think its been in construction for a long time, right?

I do not know the road conditions between Addanki-Pidugurala.
Last week my brother travelled from Narketpalli - Pidugurala.
From Narketpalli-Miryalguda is with occasinal potholes but from Miryalguda to
Pidugurala the surface of the road is average and lot of diversions due to the
four laning.
It is pleasure driving upto Vijayawada in the four lane.
From Vijayawada -Ongole six laning is going on so you tend to lose time due to
diversions and service lane driving.It is worthwhile taking Vijayawada route
atleast till the four lane is complete between Narketpali-Addanki

Last edited by gajadonga : 26th October 2012 at 09:37.
gajadonga is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 22:32   #380
Team-BHP Support

I returned via the same route.

I had left Adyar, Chennai at around 4:30 AM.
Took the JN Inner Ring Road to reach Nh5.
There was some traffic and the poor road condition slowed me down. As my daughter was sleeping in her car seat, I was slowing down for every pothole.

Entered the NH5 at around 5:45 AM or so.
Reached Vijayawada by 12:30 and using google maps navigated to Hotel Manorama for lunch.

Paid approx 250 Rupees for Idly, Masala Dosa, South Indian Thali and 2 coffees.
The food was very good and service was sweet.

I would be using this as a pitstop in future as well.

I got back on the road at around 1:40 PM after refueling.

My car is now naked without the sunfilm. Driving westwards in the afternoon is a bad bad thing. My eyes were under constant strain. So much so that all that squinting was making me drowsy and sleepy. Stopped a couple of times to walk around the car and freshen up.
In future, I am never undertaking a long drive without a good pair of shades.

Reached APPA on the ORR after 5:30 PM. The last 50 kms on the ORR are pure bliss. The exact opposite of the last 50 kms when driving to Chennai.

Saw a badly smashed up white Beat on this highway. The car was smashed beyond recognition.

Last edited by bblost : 30th October 2012 at 22:34.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 11:24   #381
BHPian

Chennai - Hyderabad Road Conditions latest update.

I drove down to Hyderabad via Vijaywada last friday November 16 2012. Started at 615am from my home on PH Road near Dasaprakash. Connected to NH 5 via Kilpauk New Avadi Road Padi intersection IRR. The last time I drove on NH 5 was in Dec 2008, it was a breeze as I did the 415 KMS MAA-BZA in 5.5 hours including a 30 min Breakfast stop at Nellore. This time till Nellore six laning work is in progress but nothing to worry as there were not many diversions as the work was going on the side of the roads and it was well marked. Reached Nellore around 845am and entered the town for Breakfast at the APTDC.There are not many eateries on this highway hence have to enter the towns for a good meal. Left at 915am from Nellore, till Ongole it was status quo. But after Ongole the road conditions are worse as almost every 500mts there is a diversion and at some places it is not well marked. Too many bridges are under construction and it was a tiring drive. The last 100 odd kms from Ongole to Vijaywada really tested the nerves. Reached Vijaywada at 1PM almost 1.5 hrs behind schedule due to the horrible road conditions from Ongole. Thankfully lorry traffic was sparse in this stretch.

Spent the afternoon and everning at Vijaywada as I have family there. Started for Hyderabad at 120AM, family resisted a lot not to drive at this time but I insisted on leaving as had some work at hyderabad the next day.

The NH 9 Vijaywada - Hyderabad highway was under construction in Dec 2008 and it was a hellish drive the last time. I had no idea how much progress the construction work had made hence with a lot of apprehension I started the drive. To my surprise I was greeted with a super 4 lane highway with well marked tracks borders reflectors and all. It was a smooth drive. Exactly 100 kms from Vijaywada there is a diversion as a bridge is under construction for bye-passing a town. Apart from this the entire 270 KMS stretch from Vijaywada till Ramoji Film City is a pleasure to drive. I reached Ramoji Film City at 530am after a comfortable 4 hour drive. In the day time just 3 hours is enough to cover this stretch of 270 kms as the highway is very good. In all there are 4 toll booths, 1 is under construction and 2 are under going trial runs. The significant feature of this highway is that all the towns and villages have been bye-passed with bridges and there is illumination on some bridges too. Very impressive and convenient if one is driving in the night. There is a CCD outlet just before Suryapet, it falls on the right side if one is coming from Vijaywada. From Ramoji Film City I took the ORR to reach Saifabad area via Airport/Shamshabad as I did not want to pass thro' the old city which was under communal tension. The ORR is another marvel of a road!!

Under current road conditions Chennai - Hyderabad Via Vijaywada can be comfortably covered in 9.5 hours with minimal stops.

Chennai - Vijaywada 6.5 Hours

Vijaywada - Hyderabad 3 hours.
sameer sultan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 10:49   #382
BHPian

Guys, I need to travel from Nalgonda to Chennai this weekend. Any advise on the choice of routes?

Around 3-4 months back, I had taken the Nlg-Piduguralla-Addanki-Ongole-Chennai route. It was a horrible experince between Nlg to Piduguralla and I do not want to take that route again. So here are my list of queries.
1) Is the Nlg-Piduguralla route improved?
2) Should I opt for Nlg-Narketpally-VJA-Chn route?
3) Any specific things to look out for especially between VJA and Chennai. I know the road from nktpally to vja is excellent. It is the NH5 that I am worried about.
4) Since I am travelling with family (grandmom included), are there any options for good hotel on the highway. I am planning to start at 5am from Nlg. So planning to have breakfast somehwere near VJA.
5) Can we bypass Vijayawada town, or is there any connecting route between NH9 and NH5? Directions to cross VJA are highly appreciated.
6) Can I visit the hill-top temple at VJA that day (Saturday)? Will it be too crowded? I actually need to reach Chennai by evening because of a family fucntion there.

help me with the above queries.

Thanks,
racer_ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 12:25   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post

Around 3-4 months back, I had taken the Nlg-Piduguralla-Addanki-Ongole-Chennai route. It was a horrible experince between Nlg to Piduguralla and I do not want to take that route again. So here are my list of queries.
1) Is the Nlg-Piduguralla route improved?
continues to be potholed
Quote:
2) Should I opt for Nlg-Narketpally-VJA-Chn route?
Connect to NH9 either at Narketpally or at Nakrekal.NH9 is fantastic and 4 laned now.
Quote:
3) Any specific things to look out for especially between VJA and Chennai. I know the road from nktpally to vja is excellent. It is the NH5 that I am worried about.
NH5 between VJA and Ongole is undergoing 6 laning,so there are some diversions but well marked,no problems whatsoever.Driving is easy.

Quote:
4) Since I am travelling with family (grandmom included), are there any options for good hotel on the highway. I am planning to start at 5am from Nlg. So planning to have breakfast somehwere near VJA.
VJA is the only place for food on NH5.Suggest you stop at any of the restaurants on MG Road as you come into VJA from NH9.There are plenty of them.Most of them should open by about 7am.

Quote:
5) Can we bypass Vijayawada town, or is there any connecting route between NH9 and NH5? Directions to cross VJA are highly appreciated.
No,you will have to go via the town.

Quote:
6) Can I visit the hill-top temple at VJA that day (Saturday)? Will it be too crowded? I actually need to reach Chennai by evening because of a family fucntion there.
VJA-Chennai would take you about 6 hours,so you can plan accordingly.

help me with the above queries.

Thanks,[/quote]
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 15:56   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
No,you will have to go via the town.
There is no need to go on MG Road (unless you wish to halt there for food) till Benz Circle.

Cross the temple and turn right and use the original Prakasham Barrage to cross the river. Continue straight on this road (Old Guntur Highway) till it merges with the new Kolkata-Chennai 4-laned highway.

Avoid this shortcut during peak times (7am to 9am). I have no idea what are the peak times in the evening.

I did it on 16-Nov-2012 and had started from the temple at 09:15am. Did the 84 km from the temple to Chilakaluripet in 1 hour 15 minutes.

On Google Map : https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=C...p=4&sz=19&z=15

There was a minor traffic jam between Point B and Point C (and that can be nerve wracking and killing during peak times) while one has to drive slow between Point C and Point D. Rest is a breeze though the road between Point D and Point E cannot be compared with the highway between Hyderabad and Vijayawada.
Quote:
Can I visit the hill-top temple at VJA that day (Saturday)? Will it be too crowded? I actually need to reach Chennai by evening because of a family fucntion there.
Friday is the day of crowds but even then it is not all that difficult. Vehicles are not allowed up hill on Fridays officially as per rule though I did see the police allowing the vehicles on a Friday morning. Use the 100/- line and you should be out within the hour.
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 10:24   #385
BHPian

Travelled between Nalgonda to Chennai on 1st dec and returned the next day. Here are the latest road conditions.

For the onward Journey: Started at 5am. Took the Nlg-VJA-Ongole-Chennai route. As expected the new NH9 was awesome. But since we started early in the morning, there was dense fog almost until VJA. Visibility was down to a few 100 feet and we could only reach a maximum speed of 80kmph on the entire stretch. We encountered a total of 4 diversions on this stretch. We were also diverted through some town around 40kms from VJA. All these factors slowed us down quite a bit. Hence we could reach VJA only by around 9. By the time we had breakfast and left VJA, it was around 10. Road from VJA to Ongole is full of diversions. But most of the side roads are well laid but not wide enough. Lots of wrong side driving and lorry traffic and this was another stretch which slowed us down completely. Reached Ongole only by around 1. Since we had heavy breakfast, we decided to continue till Nellore for lunch. We came across a restaurant on the right (dont remember the name) around 30 kms from Nellore. It is connected to a BP outlet. Decent food. Neat toilets. Started from the hotel and went non-stop to Chennai. As expected, excellent roads until the border but lots of diversions thereafter. Reached anna nagar by around 5. Total journey time of around 12hrs including approx 2 hrs for breaks.

For the return journey, we though of giving the addanki-piduguralla-nlg stretch another shot. This route was also around 120 kms shorter than the onward route as per Google maps. Started from Chennai at around 1pm on Sunday. Uneventful until addanki. Reached there by around 630. From addanki onwards, pretty normal roads. Four laning is done for almost 70% of the way to Piduguralla. But remaining 30%, roads resemble the surface of the moon. These are the time consuming stretches. Heavly traffic throughout. Need to be careful especially at the places where the 4 laning ends near the villages.Had delicious dinner at a hotel named 7hills around 5kms before Piduguralla (comes to the right). Started at 930pm and reached Nalgonda by 11:30. Total travel time of 10.5 hrs with approx 1.5hr breaks.

Overall, not much of a difference between the two routes. While on the onward journey roads are excellent to good on most stretches, it is lot longer. The return journey has some very horrible stretches after Addanki. But it is lot shorter and in our case saved close to around 1hr in travel time.
racer_ash is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 12:54   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Travelled between Nalgonda to Chennai on 1st dec and returned the next day. Here are the latest road conditions.

Overall, not much of a difference between the two routes. While on the onward journey roads are excellent to good on most stretches, it is lot longer. The return journey has some very horrible stretches after Addanki. But it is lot shorter and in our case saved close to around 1hr in travel time.
Racer_ash: Thanks for the update. Can you break down the stretches between Narketpalli and Addankki and give us the status of the road conditions? Like Narketpalli - nalgonda - Status, etc. Was the bad section limited to Addankki - Pidigurala? Can we go staright to Chilakuripet from Pidigurala through Narasaraopet?
venki.bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 15:05   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Racer_ash: Thanks for the update. Can you break down the stretches between Narketpalli and Addankki and give us the status of the road conditions? Like Narketpalli - nalgonda - Status, etc. Was the bad section limited to Addankki - Pidigurala?
Well, it is difficult to break down the stretches because mostly, the 4 laning and bad roads appear alternately for every 3-4 kms or so. Every stretch of 4 lane is followed by a patch of rough roads and the cycle repeats. Along all the villages, the roads are bad. Once you pass the village, the 4 lane resumes. However, if you are careful, you will notice that almost all of the diversions are marked with signages. The whole Addanki to Nkt stretch is the same.

Quote:
Can we go staright to Chilakuripet from Pidigurala through Narasaraopet?
We were taking this route a couple of years ago. At that time, this was a decent two way lane where you can cruise comfortably at 70-80kmph. Lately however, we have not tried this route as we were told that many tractors and harvesters ply on this which can be quite dangerous at night as most of them do not have lights. This lane too is apparently undergoing widening. So this makes it doubly dangerous.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 16:32   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Can we go staright to Chilakuripet from Pidigurala through Narasaraopet?
No idea of the road between Pidigurala and Narasaraopet.

Narasaraopet to Chilkaluripet road is in average condition and this 24 km can be done in around 30-45 minutes.

The bye pass of Narasaraopet is in horrible condition and is strictly avoidable for all cars (only off roaders should venture on it).
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 14:55   #389
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hyderabad to Narketpalli : 84 kms - 4 lane, new, excellent. Good restaurants mainly Nilgiris ( 45 km from Hyd), Shere -E-Punjab Gundrampally ( 63 km from Hyd, only Veg), Vivera and Kanakadurga just before Narketpalli ( abt 80 km from Hyd).

Narketpalli to Nalgonda : 18 kms, 4 laning in progress, passable.
Nalgonda to Miryalguda : 42 kms, 4 laning in progress, passable but beware the lane changes. Takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

One may find good eateries in Miryalguda

Miryalguda to Addanki : About 140 km, 4 laning in progress, passable. From Addanki it is NH - 5 . No idea about exact distance.

Total distance could be 650 km.

Tha Narketpalli - Addanki strech - about 200 km - is under expansion. The roads are passable, three digit speeds are possible only in small stretches, a lot of diversions and a fair share of pot holes. Heavy traffic is to be expected. It is a safe road nevertheless, one passes through a lot of towns and villages.

One need not go through Narsaraopet. After Piduguralla, just after crossing a canal, a road to the left leads to Narsaraopet, which is 13 km from that point. Going ahead straight leads to Addanki.

Ealier, prior to 1999 when this road was expanded, one used to travel to Chilakaluripet via Narsaraopet to get to NH 5. Now this route through Addanki is lot shorter.
simplyself is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2012, 07:47   #390

Guys, planning a Hyd to Vij trip on Wed for a gig. Any updates on the route (NH9), especially the heavy traffic (last time Chotuppal was clogged).

We are planning to leave at 4am from ORR.
WhiteHorse is offline   Reply With Quote