Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 23rd December 2012, 21:27   #406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivasankar View Post
Thanks venki.bala for the information. I'm stationed a littled outside the hub at Vijayawada. Planning to visit Kanakadurga temple early tomorrow. Can you suggest a reliable fuel pump to refill the tank here?

The road work mentioned by Seek is really delaying progress and we were desperately waiting for Vijayawada to show up on the horizon, considering the total absence of road signs on distances to Vijayawada.

A brief report on our sedate drive -

6:30am - Left Chennai

9:00am - Breakfast at an eatery somewhere near Tada

Lunch at Ongole

5:00pm - Reached Vijayawada
Sorry Sivasankar. Have been to vijayawada just couple of times. Not sure abt petrol pumps.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 00:36   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Earlier the better.Budget for a 10-12hr drive.

if its early before traffic,come via Kathipara else take the bypass.

To come via NSagar,the route Chilakaluripet-Narasaraopet-Karempudi-Durgi-Macherla-Sagar-Ibrahimpatnam-LB Nagar,is the best option.Road from Narasaraopet till Macherla are in fair condition nothing great potholes here and there.From Chilkaluripet to LB should take you around 5.5-6 hours..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek View Post

Hi Saju, I'm travelling to hyderabad from chennai on the 22nd too. Driving alone with my dog! I'll be doing the vijaywada route and starting at about 5 AM from Thoraipakkam.

Incase you are doing the nagarjuna sagar route, you can plan to stop over at nagarjuna sagar for the night. i did that once with my family and it was a nice stop. there is a good APTDC haritha (not sure if i got the name right) hotel there and a couple of places around to see. Pleasant mornings and then just carry on your journey to hyderabad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnidumolu View Post

As you are tend to do a day drive, I would recommend to take the turn towards Addanki after Ongole (left turn after somewhere around 27kms from Ongole). Though the road is still under construction, it is doable. At Nekarikallu, you have to take left turn. The land mark is you will have the statue of Alluri Sita Rama Raju (a freedom fighter with Bow and Arrows). So the entire roud map would be like below -

(On GQ road)
Chennai -> Nellore -> Ongole

(On state highway where 4 lane construction is in progress with some diversions and very much doable)
Ongole -> Addanki -> Nekarikallu

(On state highway single road)
Nekarikallu -> Karempudi -> Macherla -> Nagarjuna Sagar -> Mallepalli -> Ibrahim Patnam -> LB Nagar

Did my chn-hyd during 22nd. Could start only by 6:30, took the guindy -porur -byepass route to exit and was smooth, and hence recommended. Somehow goofed up to miss the north bound exit from byepass end (failed to keep left) and i ended up heading towards Chennai; took the next U in the rotary and headed back
Reached Narayanguda, Hyd by 7:45pm Took around 3nos. of Short 15min breaks and another 30min one for the packed lunch.
Was ultra confused which route to take after Ongole since plan was to pass through Nagarjuna sagar on the way. Thus on the fly decisions based on the replies here + mmi gps and google maps led me thru nekarikallu -karempudi -durgi -macherla- nagarjuna sagar-ibrahim patnam. Post Nekarikallu the road condition were not good for a smooth drive; few kms in between was v good, but lots of short bad patches & speed breakers dot the road. No biggies among potholes but always require ones 100% attention. I often tended to select and folow a pilot vehicle rather than go free in front. Nagarjuna sagar to Hyd was 'really good' drive. Except that, after night fall, driving is difficult in such undivided roads, & getting tougher as u approach the city with dazzling high beams. After LB nagar too, it was rush hour.
Reversed my local plans. Covered Ramoji today(Sun), tomorrow is city attractions.

Plan to do the return starting Tue morning not early, but around 8am. Expecting good roads I would certainly take Vijayawada route. (Or are the diversions too bad + traffic, that too around vijayawada, will take its toll) ?? Another observation was : more than 50% of toll booths during up-journey had long queues.

Haan !! And seems city traffic police are after out station vehicles or whatever? Was stopped 2 times at signals for my (light) sunfilms, during 7pm-ish times. Paid 500 (had to! Without respite!) at first stop and showed the same during second, just post 2signals. I Should have self managed not to be in fore front during signal stoppages.
ThePunter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 23:09   #408
BHPian

Default re: Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries

Was truly astonished by the Vijayawada Hyderabad road! What a surface! Reminds me of how the Chennai Bengaluru road used to be before the authorities resorted to using fine grain tar to cover pot holes and resurface long stretches. Did the 260 kms to the ORR in 3 hrs flat.

A good friend from Vijayawada suggested the Krishna District Lorry Owners' Association run IOC fuel station in Gollapudi for tanking up.

@ThePunter - Am doing the drive in my Linea T-Jet. Be prepared for a lot of diversions between Vijayawada - Guntur and a little after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Sorry Sivasankar. Have been to vijayawada just couple of times. Not sure abt petrol pumps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
Did my chn-hyd during 22nd. Could start only by 6:30, took the guindy -porur -byepass route to exit and was smooth, and hence recommended. Somehow goofed up to miss the north bound exit from byepass end (failed to keep left) and i ended up heading towards Chennai; took the next U in the rotary and headed back
Reached Narayanguda, Hyd by 7:45pm Took around 3nos. of Short 15min breaks and another 30min one for the packed lunch.
Was ultra confused which route to take after Ongole since plan was to pass through Nagarjuna sagar on the way. Thus on the fly decisions based on the replies here + mmi gps and google maps led me thru nekarikallu -karempudi -durgi -macherla- nagarjuna sagar-ibrahim patnam. Post Nekarikallu the road condition were not good for a smooth drive; few kms in between was v good, but lots of short bad patches & speed breakers dot the road. No biggies among potholes but always require ones 100% attention. I often tended to select and folow a pilot vehicle rather than go free in front. Nagarjuna sagar to Hyd was 'really good' drive. Except that, after night fall, driving is difficult in such undivided roads, & getting tougher as u approach the city with dazzling high beams. After LB nagar too, it was rush hour.
Reversed my local plans. Covered Ramoji today(Sun), tomorrow is city attractions.

Plan to do the return starting Tue morning not early, but around 8am. Expecting good roads I would certainly take Vijayawada route. (Or are the diversions too bad + traffic, that too around vijayawada, will take its toll) ?? Another observation was : more than 50% of toll booths during up-journey had long queues.

Haan !! And seems city traffic police are after out station vehicles or whatever? Was stopped 2 times at signals for my (light) sunfilms, during 7pm-ish times. Paid 500 (had to! Without respite!) at first stop and showed the same during second, just post 2signals. I Should have self managed not to be in fore front during signal stoppages.

Last edited by Sivasankar : 24th December 2012 at 23:10.
Sivasankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 23:35   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivasankar View Post
Was truly astonished by the Vijayawada Hyderabad road! What a surface! Reminds me of how the Chennai Bengaluru road used to be before the authorities resorted to using fine grain tar to cover pot holes and resurface long stretches. Did the 260 kms to the ORR in 3 hrs flat.

A good friend from Vijayawada suggested the Krishna District Lorry Owners' Association run IOC fuel station in Gollapudi for tanking up.

@ThePunter - Am doing the drive in my Linea T-Jet. Be prepared for a lot of diversions between Vijayawada - Guntur and a little after.
Huh! Already got sick of this Hyd TP. Got caught 2 times during today morning itself + innumerable stares during othertimes each was like a narrow escape. Morning first was about asking show me your orig RC ( now, comeon I always keep a xerox copy of the same in car, (I believe most of us do the same) anyways the guy was very cool, the very next sentence was u can adjust it with Rs200. Finally got thru paying 100 off-the-hand. And before noon another cop came after, saying fancy num plate blah blah. I ended up lamenting why u guys are after me ever since Ianded in Hyd? so he sheepishly let me go free. BTW mine is just the normal-to-chennai one that come with tata motors. Only that the 4 digit no. part is slightly larger than remaining, and these guys insist on all characters of SAME size. Its fine what they say I agree, but mine is not 'fancy' either.
Sincerely hoping I get out of city safe tomorow morning around 9.
Today covered Golconda, Birla, Salar jung, Charminar and Koti shopping. After the morning incident itself I was like,.. I should have better opted for AP tourism day package. And more so after experiencing the traffic mayhem around Charminar and Koti.
ThePunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 13:34   #410
BHPian

Was stopped once by Traffic Police at Taj Krishna signal. Cop said I shouldn't be using tinted glass (in fact, it was the approved one but which Traffic Cop is trained) and started scraping it a little. I was furious but kept my cool as I had family along. He 'adjusted' for Rs. 300 and suggested I drive with the windows down all the way back. I asked him the way to Chaderghat and the guy had no clue about the place.

Stayed the night in Vijayawada and got stopped outside Guntur the next day. It was on one of the numerous diversions and unsuspecting vehicles fall easy pray to RTO cop Mr. BVK Reddy and his chamcha kid in white shirt and khakhi trousers. BVK Reddy gave an elaborate lecture in chaste Telugu that any vehicle from states other than AP should be carrying an NOC. Another adjustment for Rs 500 as I didn't want to highlight his incompetence. I couldn't resist pointing out to the chamcha that he had taken my money and need not bother with his advice anymore. Hard earned money! Hope the 2 rot in Life!

Wonder when the Union Ministry of Transport will publish a uniform code for using private automobiles pan India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
Huh! Already got sick of this Hyd TP. Got caught 2 times during today morning itself + innumerable stares during othertimes each was like a narrow escape. Morning first was about asking show me your orig RC ( now, comeon I always keep a xerox copy of the same in car, (I believe most of us do the same) anyways the guy was very cool, the very next sentence was u can adjust it with Rs200. Finally got thru paying 100 off-the-hand. And before noon another cop came after, saying fancy num plate blah blah. I ended up lamenting why u guys are after me ever since Ianded in Hyd? so he sheepishly let me go free. BTW mine is just the normal-to-chennai one that come with tata motors. Only that the 4 digit no. part is slightly larger than remaining, and these guys insist on all characters of SAME size. Its fine what they say I agree, but mine is not 'fancy' either.
Sincerely hoping I get out of city safe tomorow morning around 9.
Today covered Golconda, Birla, Salar jung, Charminar and Koti shopping. After the morning incident itself I was like,.. I should have better opted for AP tourism day package. And more so after experiencing the traffic mayhem around Charminar and Koti.
Sivasankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 16:00   #411
MDe
BHPian

Hi All, I am going to travel from Hyderabad to Chennai on the weekend and am still thinking about the road. From what I read, Hyderabad-Vijaywada-Ongole-Chennai is a route where roads are good till VW and will slow me down post that. I am going to drive a Santro, so cant go very fast. Considering this, what should be the best route for me if I start by 6AM from Hitech City. Google suggests:

1) https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=H...mra=ls&t=m&z=7
2) https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=H...&t=m&z=7&via=1
3) https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=H...&t=m&z=7&via=1

Would really appreciate any information on these as this is the first time I am doing this route.
MDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 16:18   #412
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hello MDe, please DO NOT take the second option as the Cumbum / Lankamalla Forest range route is definitely not the best. I have not taken that route but doubt even if they have the Sate Highways forget NH.

I would suggest another option of going through HYD-Kurnool-Kadapa-Chittoor-Chennai. The total distance is around 730kms, all NH and roads in good condition. Most of the Volvo Busses from HYD-CHN take this route, I went on this last month. You should not take more than 10 hours with a moderate driving speed 3-4 breaks of 15 mins each.

Happy Driving ....
shimshumara is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 17:11   #413
MDe
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshumara View Post
I would suggest another option of going through HYD-Kurnool-Kadapa-Chittoor-Chennai. The total distance is around 730kms, all NH and roads in good condition. Most of the Volvo Busses from HYD-CHN take this route, I went on this last month. You should not take more than 10 hours with a moderate driving speed 3-4 breaks of 15 mins each.

Happy Driving ....
Thanks Shimshumara. I know for sure that the road towards Bangalore is very nice, so I am sure Kurnool should be a breeze that way.

Are the roads from Kurnool onwards also 4 laned highways or are they 2 lanes? Because with 4 lane highways, the overall drive becomes pretty easy. Appreciate your response.
Old 30th January 2013, 17:18   #414
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Unfortunately the road after Kurnool is not 4 laned, till you reach Wallajah / Ranipet.
But the drive is enjoyable with not much traffic.
shimshumara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 19:41   #415
BHPian

Just returned from a Hyd to Chennai trip. While going took Hyd -> Kurnool -> Nandayal -> Kadapa -> Renigunta -> Thiruthani -> Thrivallur -> Chennai, all in all it came to 710Kms till Anna Nagar. Did it in 12hrs. Road till Kurnool is Very good after that till Kadapa O.K. from Kadapa to Renigunta was Good, from Renigunta till Chennai it was worst(Road was being layed in patchs). My Ritx Diesel gave an FEof 18.67Kmpl. While comming took Chennai -> Vijayawada -> Hyd. it came to 740 Kms. Took the same 12hrs FE was 19.5Kmpl. Did not try the Addanki -> Macherla -> Nagarjuna Sagar Road as lot of people told me that the road is in very bad shape, has anyone of late traveled by this road. I belive that it is 100Km shoter.

Last edited by jagadeesh.b : 30th January 2013 at 19:44. Reason: removed grammetical mistakes
jagadeesh.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 21:19   #416
MDe
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagadeesh.b View Post
Just returned from a Hyd to Chennai trip. While going took Hyd -> Kurnool -> Nandayal -> Kadapa -> Renigunta -> Thiruthani -> Thrivallur -> Chennai, all in all it came to 710Kms till Anna Nagar. Did it in 12hrs. Road till Kurnool is Very good after that till Kadapa O.K. from Kadapa to Renigunta was Good, from Renigunta till Chennai it was worst(Road was being layed in patchs). My Ritx Diesel gave an FEof 18.67Kmpl. While comming took Chennai -> Vijayawada -> Hyd. it came to 740 Kms. Took the same 12hrs FE was 19.5Kmpl. Did not try the Addanki -> Macherla -> Nagarjuna Sagar Road as lot of people told me that the road is in very bad shape, has anyone of late traveled by this road. I belive that it is 100Km shoter.
Thanks for the update Jagadeesh. Could you tell us about the road conditions on the way back? Did you take Chennai->Nellore->Ongole->VW-Hyd route on the way back?

So far for my trip, I am planning to take the route that Shimshumara suggested Hyd->Kurnool->Kadapa->Chittoor->Chennai.
Old 30th January 2013, 23:13   #417
BHPian

[COLOR=black]Hi MDe, The Road Condition on the way back was good. Last 60kms before VW, you will have to do come cress crossing as there is 6 laneing work is in progress. Apart from that is it good. You don't get tired & the car is not abused. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=black] I have no idea about the Kadapa Chittoor & Chennai road. Till Kurnool it is good, beyond that the Road till Kadapa is ok, you will encounter rough patches here & there. the 4 laneing work is abandoned in the middle. Distance between Kurnool & Kadapa is 190kms which is did in 3.5hrs. Started from Kurnool at about 00:30hrs & reached Kadapa by 04:00hrs[/COLOR]
jagadeesh.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 15:01   #418
MDe
BHPian

Update: I drove to Chennai on the weekend. Took the Hyderabad->Kurnool->Kadapa->Renigunta->Chennai route. Hyderabad to Kurnool was a breeze to drive on. Started from Hyderabad at 5:30AM and was at Kurnool at 8:40, This was with a 5 min tea break. The road from Kurnool to Nandyal is nothing to talk about. It has diversions all through with no view on either side. Its completely rocky area with no vegetation around. This was the most painful part of the drive. Nandyal to Kadapa was ok. Took the turn to Renigunta before Kadapa around 12:45. Road was Kadapa to Renigunta is very good and it was a smooth drive on the way. Halfway from Renigunta to Chennai is ok but after that you need to go through all villages one after the other. Last 50 kms before Chennai has roads built in patches which slows you down once again. Finally, crossed a Toll before red hills and expected good road after that. However, it was followed by a huge traffic jam considering the traffic signals after it. From there on, its was back to back traffic. Took the chennai bypass and reached Manapakkam around 7:30PM.
MDe is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 15:04   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDe View Post
Update: I drove to Chennai on the weekend. Took the Hyderabad->Kurnool->Kadapa->Renigunta->Chennai route. Hyderabad to Kurnool was a breeze to drive on. Started from Hyderabad at 5:30AM and was at Kurnool at 8:40, This was with a 5 min tea break. The road from Kurnool to Nandyal is nothing to talk about. It has diversions all through with no view on either side. Its completely rocky area with no vegetation around. This was the most painful part of the drive. Nandyal to Kadapa was ok. Took the turn to Renigunta before Kadapa around 12:45. Road was Kadapa to Renigunta is very good and it was a smooth drive on the way. Halfway from Renigunta to Chennai is ok but after that you need to go through all villages one after the other. Last 50 kms before Chennai has roads built in patches which slows you down once again. Finally, crossed a Toll before red hills and expected good road after that. However, it was followed by a huge traffic jam considering the traffic signals after it. From there on, its was back to back traffic. Took the chennai bypass and reached Manapakkam around 7:30PM.
Thanks for this update Mde,so I guess,I shall stick to my Hyd-Vja-Chennai route for now.Atleast no headaches with single lane roads.Yes expensive option thanks to the tolls.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 15:15   #420
MDe
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Thanks for this update Mde,so I guess,I shall stick to my Hyd-Vja-Chennai route for now.Atleast no headaches with single lane roads.Yes expensive option thanks to the tolls.
Yes Ranjit, I would agree to that option. Though it might be longer, but I think its worth it as compared to the non-tolled roads which are all single lanes. Have a safe trip.