Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 4th February 2013, 16:02   #421
BHPian

Default re: Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Thanks for this update Mde,so I guess,I shall stick to my Hyd-Vja-Chennai route for now.Atleast no headaches with single lane roads.Yes expensive option thanks to the tolls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDe View Post
Yes Ranjit, I would agree to that option. Though it might be longer, but I think its worth it as compared to the non-tolled roads which are all single lanes. Have a safe trip.
Thanks for the update and the useful information.

This weekend i will be driving Hyd -Vja - Nellore - Sullurpeta -Nellore - Vja - Hyd. I will stick to NH-9 and NH-5.

Any tips on the easiest option of exiting Vijayawada city traffic during 10.00- 11.00 AM (my plan is to exit via prakasam barrage)

Any info on eateries between VJA and Nellore will be helpful.

Thanks in Advance

Cheers
NH
Night_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 16:18   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
Any tips on the easiest option of exiting Vijayawada city traffic during 10.00- 11.00 AM (my plan is to exit via prakasam barrage)
I also did that in November last year as per the advice of my Vijayawada friend who had told me that during the day time (post 9am), it is better to use Prakasam Barrage.

I started from the Durga Temple Arch in Vijayawada at 09:05am and was at Chilkaluripet at 10:15am with one halt for fuel on Guntur Bye-Pass.

The only bottleneck was crossing the canal just before the barrage as that 20m stretch took nearly 5 minutes or so.

The road after the barrage till the GQ is nothing great and does have occasional potholes but those potholes do have mud filling in them and hence you may get to drive at a constant 60-80 unlike 100-120 on the GQ. However, you certainly save distance and maybe time also.
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 16:47   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This weekend i will be driving Hyd -Vja - Nellore - Sullurpeta -Nellore - Vja - Hyd. I will stick to NH-9 and NH-5.

Thanks in Advance

Cheers
NH
Between VJA & Nellore,hardly any eateries of any mention.Best to either pack food from VJA or pack from home.We usually pack from home or from 7-Refuel at Suryapet.There is a CCD near Nayudupeta,but other than that nothing of any mention.There is a BP COCO GHAR somewhere between Ongole and Nellore but we avoid it as it doesnt inspire any confidence in us to stop!With a 1000 dep from VJA,you should be able to reach S'pet by 4 in the evening with breaks.
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 19:29   #424
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in Advance

Cheers
NH

Hi,

That's the best route to take from HYD to chennai.

Prakasam Bridge road will connect to NH 5 after I think around approx 8 km's.

Eateries - Murali Krishna in Nellore is Good.

Enjoy your road trip !!

Chill !!
virgovencat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 11:41   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgovencat View Post
Hi,

Eateries - Murali Krishna in Nellore is Good.

Enjoy your road trip !!

Chill !!
Thanks for the information.

Btw, is the eatery Murali Krishna on 'Nellore Bypass' or i have to take a detour into the town?

Thanks

Last edited by Night_Hawk : 6th February 2013 at 11:43. Reason: Typos
Night_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 16:10   #426
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
is the eatery Murali Krishna on 'Nellore Bypass' or i have to take a detour into the town?
Hotel Murali Krishna is not located on NH 5 Nellore bypass. You have to go into the town.
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 10:06   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the information.

Btw, is the eatery Murali Krishna on 'Nellore Bypass' or i have to take a detour into the town?

Thanks
You have to enter city for that. On bypass not too many decent places to eat. After you cross Nellore, there is a A1 plaza kind of place right at Toll gate. you can try that if you don't want to enter city. But yes, you will loose around 30 mins in total to get in and come out of Nellore city.
virgovencat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 18:06   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
during the day time (post 9am), it is better to use Prakasam Barrage.
However, you certainly save distance and maybe time also.
Quote:
With a 1000 dep from VJA,you should be able to reach S'pet by 4 in the evening with breaks.
I did HYD-VJA-NELLORE- SULLURPETA and returned by the same route between 9th and 11th of Feb.

hyd_traveller's tip on using Prakasam Barrage was helpful as it reduced the probability of getting entangled in VJA's mad truck traffic. I have never seen such large numbers of trucks transiting through a city during peak day hours

Hyderabad to VJA took 4 hours. I crossed VJA at 11.30 and as ranjitp rightly estimated, it took 6 hours from VJA to Sullurpeta.

Thanks to hyd-traveller and ranjitp

Hyderabad - VJA Road conditions are excellent.

VJA - Chk'peta lot of diversion and 6 laning in progress but it does not hamper the smooth flow; and good speeds of 110+ can be maintained. After Chk'peta, diversions are almost negligible.

On the return journey, I noticed that 6 laning diversions are better organized and IIRC, they are fewer in numbers too.

IMHO this route could be the best option for Hyd - Chennai - Hyd .
Night_Hawk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 18:20   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMHO this route could be the best option for Hyd - Chennai - Hyd .
Glad to know you had a good drive.Did you notice any eateries enroute(between VJA & S'pet)?
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 18:41   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Glad to know you had a good drive.Did you notice any eateries enroute(between VJA & S'pet)?
I did notice very few eateries between Guntur and Nellore ( bypass roads) We had a quick lunch break at one "UP/ BIHAR Dhaba"

IIRC, this Dhaba was between ulvapadu and Kavali. Food was just OK. I was told that a short diversion into ulvapadu or kavali or other towns will give better options.

On the return journey, we had carried packed food and had only tea breaks.
Night_Hawk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:42   #431
Team-BHP Support

Requesting advice on the following query from a friend.
Posting it here as this is a part of the route between Hyderabad and Chennai.

Quote:
Which is the Best Route from Hyderabad to Chilkaluripet from the below options:

1. Hyd -> Nagarjuna Sagar -> Karempudi -> Narsaraopet -> Chilkaluripet

2. Hyd -> Narketpally -> Nalgonda -> Dachepally -> Piduguralla - Narsaraopet -> Chilkalruipet

I know that in option 2, the four laning of road was under progress about 6-8 months back. Does anyone know if that is complete and easy to motor now?

Thanks in advance for your help
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 19:22   #432
BHPian

Hi, I had travelled from HYD to CHN in November using Nareketpally- Nalgonda-Dachepally road. It is still under construction. I don't think they would have completed by now knowing the pace at which our guys lay roads !! Only 40% would be completed is my guess. Suggest, go via VJA..faster now !
virgovencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 22:14   #433

Default Chennai-Hyderabad-Nagpur-Bhopal Route Advice

Hi,

My cousin and I are planning to drive from Chennai to Bhopal next week in his Skoda Rapid (Diesel). My cousin is a road-master having driven from Bangalore to Bhopal several times. However, this will be first Chennai Bhopal expedition.

Our plan is to follow Chennai -> Hyderabad -> Nagpur -> Bhopal route and target time is about 26 hours. We will be taking turns at the wheel and intend making only technical stops for man and machine.

We need advice from fellow BHPians on the following:
  • The best route in Chennai Hyderabad sector, driving conditions and recent experiences. Also, any interesting places to eat.
  • How much time should be budgeted for Chennai - Hyderabad sector?
  • Recent driving experiences in Hyderabad - Nagpur sector including road conditions, safety tips and interesting places to eat.
  • Recent driving experiences in Nagpur - Bhopal sector including road conditions, safety tips and interesting places to eat.

Of course, we do intend to share our experiences back on Team BHP once our trip is done but right now, we look forward to inputs from fellow BHPians on the above points and anything else considered worthwhile. Please advise liberally!
rajeshblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 11:23   #434
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Chennai-Hyderabad-Nagpur-Bhopal Route Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshblue View Post
Chennai to Bhopal next week in his Skoda Rapid
  • The best route in Chennai Hyderabad sector, driving conditions and recent experiences. Also, any interesting places to eat.
  • How much time should be budgeted for Chennai - Hyderabad sector?
  • Recent driving experiences in Hyderabad - Nagpur sector including road conditions, safety tips and interesting places to eat.
  • Recent driving experiences in Nagpur - Bhopal sector including road conditions, safety tips and interesting places to eat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshblue View Post
My cousin and I are planning to drive from Chennai to Bhopal next week in his Skoda Rapid (Diesel). My cousin is a road-master having driven from Bangalore to Bhopal several times. However, this will be first Chennai Bhopal expedition.

Our plan is to follow Chennai -> Hyderabad -> Nagpur -> Bhopal route and target time is about 26 hours. We will be taking turns at the wheel and intend making only technical stops for man and machine.

Chennai-Hyd best route is via Vijayawada even with the 6 laning between Chilkaluripet and VJA.You should be able to do this conveniently in 9-11hrs time.4 laned throughout.Stop at 7 Refresh Refuel at Suryapet between VJA and Hyd.An excellent food court.

Coming from VJA,take the Outer Ring Road and connect to the NH7-Nagpur side (via Srisailam road-shamshabad-gachibowli-medchal).At Medchal exit onto the NH7 and continue towards Nagpur.

Medchal-Nagpur is a comfortable 7hour drive.Some bad sections at Pandharkawda(AP-MH Border) and again at Hinganghat before Nagpur.From Nagpur take the standard Nagpur-Betul-Itarsi-Hoshangabad-Bhopal route.

Nagpur-Bhopal would be a 9-10hr comfortable drive.Nagpur-Betul 4 laning is on and some sections are open.Betul-Itarsi is good.Itarsi-Hoshangabad is bad.Hoshangabad-Bhopal is good.Do the Nagpur-Bhopal stretch by day only.Night drive not reccomended.

If you start from Chennai around 4am,you should be at Hyd by 2-3pm and at Nagpur by 11-12 in the night.Its not a great idea to drive Nagpur-Bhopal by night and even with two drivers,fatigue is going to be big.Just my two cents.

Early morning departure from Nagpur (around 4-5) can see you having a late lunch at Bhopal.

http://goo.gl/maps/L3KpS

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 20th May 2013 at 11:42.
ranjitp1 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 15:33   #435
BHPian

I drove CHN-HYD stretch in last november. I would advice to take Chennai - Vijaywada - Hyderabad. Someone had suggested me to take left from Chilakulurepeta, but that road ( 4way) is not yet completed and will surely take another year or so..so, please go via Vijaywada and use prakasam barrage road to exit Vijaywada - to hit Prakasam barrage..you need to take need to take TRUNK ROAD thru managalagiri ( just ask someone, they will tell you..it's a Slight left from highway)..youcan SPOT it very easily ( this will save 20 min's- 30 mins). From VJY - HYD is just a straight road.

My Advice : Start 4am @ chennai, you will miss early morning truck traffic..hit Nellore by 6.30am, Ongole - 7.45am, VJY - 10am. You will see 6 laning work on both sides - starts from Chilakulurepeta..and then from Chennai..another 30 kms..

For Break fast, you can Stop near Ongole..there is a very good cafe when you hit Ongole , just beside the highyway,, you will see a Big HANUMAN statue..before you hit flyover..just there..LEFT hand side.
Good breakfast,,

DRIVE SAFE & HAVE FUN !!..
virgovencat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote