Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 30th September 2013, 14:16   #451
BHPian

Default re: Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries

Am planning to drive down to Chennai this Friday / Saturday. Would appreciate feedback on the road conditions / anti-telengana agitations in Coastal Andhra. Should I take the Hyd -Nalgonda - Ongole - Nellore route? Or should I take a different route?
crisscross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2013, 16:20   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
Am planning to drive down to Chennai this Friday / Saturday. Would appreciate feedback on the road conditions / anti-telengana agitations in Coastal Andhra. Should I take the Hyd -Nalgonda - Ongole - Nellore route? Or should I take a different route?
There are 2-3 routes by which you can reachout to Ongole from Hyderabad. But from there it is GQ only and it passes through Ongole, Nellore, Gudur, Tada etc. Now coming to your question, I would suggest you to do a night drive if possible to avoid issues like road blocks, agitations etc. I did not travel recently so could not talk about the road condition.
rnidumolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2013, 16:41   #453
BHPian

Thanks Ravi.

My dad is suggesting I take the Kurnool - Cuddapah - Chennai route. Any inputs on the road conditions?
Old 30th September 2013, 17:39   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ravi.

My dad is suggesting I take the Kurnool - Cuddapah - Chennai route. Any inputs on the road conditions?
Kadapa route,you are highly likely to get into a rasta roko at Chittoor.Stick to the Vijayawada route imo.fast and good conditions as well.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2013, 18:10   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ravi.

I would suggest to avoid this as suggested by Ranjit. My dad had faced issue two weeks back while travelling in this route

Ideally you should look for a route where you travel more in the Telengana region and less in the Andhra region.

If you start in the evening/night and choose the Nalgonda -> Miryalaguda route, by mid night you will be able to cross the problamatic regions (read as boarder villages) where you may held up. This route is under construction but doable in the nights. The only challenge you will face is the diversions. Last time (read almost one year back) when I travelled in this route the diversions were not glaring and I had a challenge with them.

Coming to Hyd -> Vij -> Guntur -> Ongole -> Nellore -> Tada, this road condition is good, but the issue is people may stop the traffic at some places. But you can take a chance.
rnidumolu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2013, 19:50   #456
BHPian

If you do not have problem with night Driving, then best is to stick to HYD-VJA-CHN highway and start around 3pm.

Or esle start early morning - 4am - Take Nalgonda route, you will hit VJY-CHN highway near addanki - this route is also being made into 4 way. 40% is done.

What I have heard is that, they are not stopping Cars & Bikes on highway..only buses and trucks. Not sure.

Best ROUTE is HYD-NALGONDA-ADDANKI- ONGOLE-CHN - to escape disturbances.

But agian..it's all LUCK my dear friend !!

All the best !!
virgovencat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2013, 10:29   #457
BHPian

Any recommendations for decent vegetarian food on this route? I will most likely take the Hyd-Nalgonda-Addanki-Ongole-Chennai route.
Old 3rd October 2013, 11:22   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Any recommendations for decent vegetarian food on this route? I will most likely take the Hyd-Nalgonda-Addanki-Ongole-Chennai route.
Nalgonda and Miryalguda have bypass. So you can bypass both the towns. Decent eating places only in Piduguralla town which does not have a bypass.No specific restaurants that I can suggest. After Piduguralla the next option is only Ongole. Once you cross Addanki and reach Medarmetla you have a lot of dhabas on the highways which can be tried
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 11:26   #459
BHPian

Rightly said..decent places to eat are only after you hit Ongole, none before that. you will pass all small villages and towns. Better to pack food.

On Ongole bypass, once you come down the flyover, on left ( while going to chennai), you will see a good tiffen center ( at cross roads)..or else Murali Krishna hotel in Nellore town ( you have to enter town for that)

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th October 2013 at 21:49. Reason: Back to back posts.
virgovencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 10:36   #460

Default Hyderabad-Chennai route alternatives

Thanks tbhpians, with the info on this thread i just concluded a hyd-chennai round trip:

Route:
http://goo.gl/maps/YrZSz
1. Hyd-Chennai via NH7 Anantapur, Madanapalle, Chittoor bypass
2. Chennai-Hyd via NH5 Vijayawada Prakasham Barrage, ORR

Time:
I traveled from west Hyd to south chennai so both routes were similar in distance (~800km) and took around 15 hours each at steady speeds of 80-100kmph, including rest breaks, toll booths and unintended deviations costing around 2 hours on each leg. If you are traveling from east Hyd you would get a saving of 50km on ORR if you take route 2.

Money:
Spent 19l of fuel until the first refuel point at 320km (17kmpl), and 50l on the return journey from Chennai to Hyd (16kmpl). Didn't get a chance to measure the other legs.

+
Made an overnight stopover at a serene place called Horsley hills.
Got good food enroute. Restaurants marked on the map are simple veg food joints, so may not appeal to non-vegetarians.
Road from Hyd to Blr is the best I have come across yet.
Roads are well marked with milestones across all of TN.

-
Highway from Walajah to Chennai is no longer the expressway it used to be as it shows aging signs, undulations and cattle.
Vijayawada-Hyd road at 4 lanes is too narrow for its traffic.
The road from Guntur to Vijayawada is completely under construction with tens of deviations and hundreds of cows even though the toll booths are fully constructed and dipping into your pockets as well as precious time.

Car: Fiat Petra 1.6 2004

Preparations:
Wheel alignment, oil change and throttle-body cleaning was done some 3000km ago so didn't get it redone. Got the following done right before the trip:
AC recharged
Air filter cleaned
Tires at 28psi
Topped up from Shell both in Hyd and in Chennai.
praveengupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 16:22   #461
BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad-Chennai route alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveengupta View Post
Thanks tbhpians, with the info on this thread i just concluded a hyd-chennai round trip:

Route:
http://goo.gl/maps/YrZSz
1. Hyd-Chennai via NH7 Anantapur, Madanapalle, Chittoor bypass
2. Chennai-Hyd via NH5 Vijayawada Prakasham Barrage, ORR

Time:
I traveled from west Hyd to south chennai so both routes were similar in distance (~800km) and took around 15 hours each at steady speeds of 80-100kmph, including rest breaks, toll booths and unintended deviations costing around 2 hours on each leg. If you are traveling from east Hyd you would get a saving of 50km on ORR if you take route 2.
Can you compare and give an update on the condition of the roads on both the routes?
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 20:31   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Can you compare and give an update on the condition of the roads on both the routes?
1. via Anantapur
60% expressways - NH7
30% undivided but good scenic roads - Anantapur-Madanapalle, Palamaner-Walajah
10% roads with some potholes, speedbreakers and city traffic - Madanapalle-Palamaner

2. via Vijayawada
60% expressways
30% expressways but runs city traffic with cattle, wrong side truck traffic.
10% called expressways but mainly running on service roads with speed-breakers, cattle, everything else (Guntur +- 50km)
praveengupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 20:38   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Yes, we need this information, especially the 2-hour unintended diversions please.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 11:01   #464

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Yes, we need this information, especially the 2-hour unintended diversions please.
The 2 hour is for all the non-travel times, lunch, snack etc. Unintended diversions were probably less than 30m of wastage mainly when I missed the direction signs and ended up entering some towns instead of taking the highway bypass. I don't remember which towns they were, but they weren't too crowded.
praveengupta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 02:33   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveengupta View Post
The 2 hour is for all the non-travel times, lunch, snack etc. Unintended diversions were probably less than 30m of wastage mainly when I missed the direction signs and ended up entering some towns instead of taking the highway bypass. I don't remember which towns they were, but they weren't too crowded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Nalgonda and Miryalguda have bypass. So you can bypass both the towns. Decent eating places only in Piduguralla town which does not have a bypass.No specific restaurants that I can suggest. After Piduguralla the next option is only Ongole. Once you cross Addanki and reach Medarmetla you have a lot of dhabas on the highways which can be tried
Quote:
Hey guys,
A quick question.
On the 5th or 6th I will be travelling from nellore to hyd
Can you please update me about the road condition, expressways, percentage of divided or undivided roads if I travel via nellore-ongole-addanki-nagarjuna sagar hyderabad.

Is this road better or the nellore-ongole-vijayawada-hyderabad better.
Thank you

Last edited by ecosport rules : 4th November 2013 at 02:35.
ecosport rules is offline   Reply With Quote