Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 4th November 2013, 09:42   #466
BHPian

Default re: Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries

Hello All,

I'm going to Tirupati on 9th from Hyderabad, planning to take Tirupati-Naidupet-Addanki-Narkatpally-Hyd while return. Want to know road condition of Addanki-Narkatpally. Anyone tried this route recently?
SanjeevReddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 14:45   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjeevReddy View Post
Hello All,

I'm going to Tirupati on 9th from Hyderabad, planning to take Tirupati-Naidupet-Addanki-Narkatpally-Hyd while return. Want to know road condition of Addanki-Narkatpally. Anyone tried this route recently?
Tirupati -Naidupet-Ongole - The road is good except few diversions for 6 laning.After Ongole, around 35 KM you will be on NH5 after which you need to take a left for Addanki at a junction. Last year I had travelled on this road, they are converting it into 4 way. Work has not completed yet as far as I know. So you will have lots of diversions and single roads in few stretches. Nearing towards Narkatpally, 4 way is completed.
virgovencat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 21:00   #468

Default Re: Hyderabad-Chennai route alternatives

Hi,

A really well detailed note on the journey. Did you consider Hyderabad - Bangalore - Chennai as an alternative considering the condition of the highways? It would be interesting to get your reply as I am planning this Journey this December.

Jagannath
jagannath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 14:53   #469
BHPian

Guys, I need to drive down to Guntur this Wednesday from Hyderabad. So which according to you is the better route: HYD-VJA-Guntur or HYD-NLG-Piduguralla-Guntur? I also heard there is a route through Sagar and Macherla but google maps is not showing this route properly.

Some further questions:

1) My friends marriage is at 9pm. So is it ok if I start at around 4pm from Kondapur?
2) Any good places for overnight stay at Guntur? Or should I prefer staying at VJA?
3) Anything else I need to take into account since I will be travelling with wife and my 1yr old daughter.

Thanks in advance.
racer_ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 08:29   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Guys, I need to drive down to Guntur this Wednesday from Hyderabad. So which according to you is the better route: HYD-VJA-Guntur or HYD-NLG-Piduguralla-Guntur? I also heard there is a route through Sagar and Macherla but google maps is not showing this route properly.

Some further questions:

1) My friends marriage is at 9pm. So is it ok if I start at around 4pm from Kondapur?.
The best road would be Hyd-Vja-Gun as it is all 4-laned but the biggest negative for you by this road will be having to cross Vja in the evening peak hours (since you need to be in Gun at 9pm, you would cross Vja around 7/8pm).

5 hours is tight. Keep 6 hours travel time.
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 17:22   #471
BHPian

@ Jagannath - HYD-BGL-CHN road is great, but too long. I stay in Chennai and have travelled to BGLR quite often by road. BGLR-HYD i have not driven yet. HYD to BGLR - 570KM and then BGLR -CHN - 350km..total - 920KM in total..compared to HYD-VJY-CHN- 760KM--Difference of nearly 160KM is a bit too much ...I know that VJY-CHN stretch we will loose time in diversions due to 6 lane. BGLR - CHN traffic is high.
virgovencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 17:26   #472
BHPian

@ RACER- ASH

please stick to HYD-VJY-GNTR..you will save time. As soon as you enter Vijaywada, Take PRAKASAM BARRIAGE Right, on the dam..it will save some time.

Sagar & Macherla road is a single road, will pass thru some villages after Sagar, which will slow you. Google will not show this road, but it's there. you just take Sagar road from HYD and keep going straight after Sagar. not worth it in my view !

There are decent hotels in Guntur.

Last edited by virgovencat : 2nd December 2013 at 17:28. Reason: typo error
virgovencat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 19:16   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
the biggest negative for you by this road will be having to cross Vja in the evening peak hours (since you need to be in Gun at 9pm, you would cross Vja around 7/8pm)
My friend started from Gachibowli in Hyderabad at 3pm today and reached Benz Circle in Vijayawada at 7:00pm a little while back. Crossing the temple at Vijayawada took him nearly 30 minutes.
hyd_traveller is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 23:10   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post

Some further questions:

1) My friends marriage is at 9pm. So is it ok if I start at around 4pm from Kondapur?
2) Any good places for overnight stay at Guntur? Or should I prefer staying at VJA?
3) Anything else I need to take into account since I will be travelling with wife and my 1yr old daughter.

Thanks in advance.
4pm is not going to be enough for you to make it to GNTR by 9,Leave by 1pm to be there at your own pace.Hyd-VJA is going to take around 4hours and another 1-1.5hrs to Guntur.

From my experience no great places to stay in Guntur,but then after a 9pm marriage it might be difficult to drive back 30-40kms to VJA.If you are upto it,then I would suggest staying in VJA,far far better hotels.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:22   #475
BHPian

Thanks for all your inputs. I took the HYD-VJA-Guntur route as suggested by many. Following are my observations.

1) HYD-VJA was a breeze. I started at 2pm last Wednesday from Hyd and could reach VJA (Kanakadurga temple road) by 630 pm (took a half an hr break enroute at Suryapet CCD).
2) Took right at Prakasam Barrage and went through the Mangalagiri route. Roads were single laned with traffic but managed to touch the NH5 in around half an hour.
3) NH5 is horrible and with too many diversions and heavy truck and car traffic. I feel that the KAZA toll plaza between VJA and Guntur is robbery with 79rs for one way passage, that too with so many diversions and improper roads.
4) Diversion from the NH5 onto Autonagar Guntur is not at all marked. Luckily many cars were turning right at a particular place and there was a temple there as well so could ask for directions, else would have bypassed Guntur.
5) Reached Guntur by around 745pm. Finding directions within Guntur also proved to be a pain as my Android device could not lock onto the GPS (strangely) and Mobile netwrok directions were way off. My friend had booked a room at a place called SS Inn at Arundelpet. It was a decent place and we could freshen up a bit before heading for the marriage. Had dinner, spent time with his family, slept for an hr at the hotel and started back at around 1am. Roads were empty and I could cruise comfortably at 100-110kmph.
6) Reached my parents place at NLG at 4am and had a sound sleep till 9am. (apparently, I was working from Home on Thursday). Started back to Hyd at 5pm and could reach my home at Kondapur by 7. As usual, excellent roads all along.

Thanks

Last edited by racer_ash : 3rd December 2013 at 12:29.
racer_ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 13:15   #476

Hi all,

I am planning to do Hyderabad - Chennai this weekend. Please suggest the best route in terms of good roads. I don't mind a few km extra provided the roads are good.

Choices I have are:

1. Hyd - Vijaywada - Ongole - Chennai (772 km)

2. Hyd - Nalagonda - Ongole - Chennai (679 km)

3. Hyd - Nagarjun Sagar - Ongole - Chennai (674 km)

4. Hyd - Kurnool - Nandyal - Kadapa - Chennai (680 km)

5. Hyd - Anantapur - Madanapalle - Chitoor - Chennai (776 km)

Appreciate any help on this including suggestion for a good place to stop on the way for some delicious food/break.

Thanks,
Sumit
sumitj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 15:40   #477
BHPian

@ sumitj: Option 1 is the best route so far to Chennai until now. Its stress free especially if done during the day. Only problems you would face are diversions on the NH5 after Vijayawada but still you can maintain decent speeds.

Route from Nalgonda and Sagar are not worth the effort even though they might seem short. Your cars mechanical will take a beating especially since road widening is going on in the NLG route and at some places roads are non-existent. Once the road widening between NLG and Addanki is complete, this should be the preferred route from HYD-CHN.

There is a place called 7 before Suryapet. Going further, you can try food options at VJA and Nellore. For Nellore, you have to go into town which might bleed sometime. Choice is yours.

Last edited by racer_ash : 4th December 2013 at 15:41.
racer_ash is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 16:12   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitj View Post

1. Hyd - Vijaywada - Ongole - Chennai (772 km)

2. Hyd - Nalagonda - Ongole - Chennai (679 km)

3. Hyd - Nagarjun Sagar - Ongole - Chennai (674 km)

4. Hyd - Kurnool - Nandyal - Kadapa - Chennai (680 km)

5. Hyd - Anantapur - Madanapalle - Chitoor - Chennai (776 km
Hyd-Vja-Chennai.Overall can be done in around 9-10hrs.7 refresh is your best bet.Post Vijayawada there is no place to eat or stop.

www.foodseven.com
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 12:49   #479

Thanks people. In order to finalize my route, need info on the route from Kurnool - Cuddapah/Kadapa through Nandyal. Are the roads good?

Also between

Hyd - Vijaywada - Ongole - Chennai

&

Hyd - Ananthpur - Chitoor - Chennai

which has better roads.

Anyone who has the latest on that please share. Thanks.
sumitj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 15:03   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitj View Post
In order to finalize my route, need info on the route from Kurnool - Cuddapah/Kadapa through Nandyal. Are the roads good?

Also between
Hyd - Vijaywada - Ongole - Chennai
&
Hyd - Ananthpur - Chitoor - Chennai
which has better roads.
Kurnool - Nandyal - Kadapa roads are under widening and will continue to remain so for quite some times. Do expect diversions with unpaved roads and potholes.

The best route presently is Hyderabad - Vijayawada - Chennai as already explained by Racer_Ash and RanjitP1.
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote