Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 6th December 2013, 18:51   #481
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries

Encountered 2 road blocks on the route between Hyderabad and Vijayawada.
They were approx 5 kms before the last toll gate when coming from Hyderabad.

Managed to bypass the road blocks by taking some village road in one case. In another case the police intervened and cleared it for us.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 09:02   #482

Went to Chennai-Pondicherry and the Tamil Nadu Navgraha temples last week (9-14th Dec 2013).

The route used was Hyderabad - Vijaywada (KanakDurga). Road is excellent till it reaches vijaywada. Last 50 kms seems not in expressway mode. The road from Hyderabad is diverted into two villages. The stretch close to the KanakDurga temple is really bad. Roads are narrower than common city roads, condition is bad and the traffic becomes terrible. Otherwise high speed road.. easily drive at 150-160.

Parakasm Barrage - Mangalgari - NH5. This is a village road, narrow, lots of share autos etc. But surprisingly not much time was lost on this section.

NH5 - Guntur - Ongole and more . NH5 construction work was going on. Lots of diversions. At every habitation, traffic was forced into service lanes. The condition of service lanes was better on the right hand side (return route). These service lanes reduced the speed considerably. No direction indicators in this section.

NH5 becomes better in the completed sections and you can hit high speeds. Max speed i took was 140 kmph.

Gummidipondi - chennai. This section marks the start of chennai suburban traffic. Since I had to go to Koyambedu, I took the flyover as suggested by navigation sites. But to my horror there was a toll charge of Rs 95 on it. Not willing to pay this amount for a short stretch. Took a U turn and went thru the Ambattur-Anna Nagar to reach Koyambedu. Speed in the section was never over 60 and average speed probably close to 30.

Reached at about 5.30 in the evening. I had started the journey at around 6 in the morning. We stopped for breakfast, Lunch and tea-breaks.

Caution - There are no Food outlets in this entire stretch. We had brought some stuff with us for breakfast. For Lunch we located a outlet in one of the Reliance petrol pumps. This is located before Gudur. We found that at some sections, large number of women are operating push-cart stalls for food services. It is advisable to carry. If you are buying breakfast then add-on some stuff for Lunch. The Reliance food court was decent with clean toilets and reasonable food.

Chennai - Pondicherry. Took the NH45 option till Tindivanam. Good roads, reasonable traffic. Excellent driving conditions. Truck Traffic seems to be heavy near chennai.

Pondicherry- cuddalore-chidambaram-Sirkazhi

Ran into heavy motorcycle commuter traffic till chidambaram. Roads are narrow and city traffic like conditions. Very similar to Kerala Roads.

The NavGruha temples are village temples and consequently the roads to them are village roads. Narrow but very low traffic. Lots of animals on roads (Goats)

We used the following routes -
Sirkazhi - NH45A - Sattanathpuram - Myladiturai road - Vaiteeswaran (Mars temple) (Temple 1).

Back to NH45A - Karuvil Crossing - PoomBukar Road - Melaiyur - (left turn) - Thiruvangadu (Mercury Temple T2)

Back to Malaiyur go towards PoomBukar - Dharmakulam - right Turn - Kezha Perumbal (Kethu Temple T3)

Back to Karuvil Crossing. Use the Poombukar - Myladiturai road. Go till dead end in city. From here there seems to be two roads to Kumbakonam. Ignore the directions and turn right at dead-end. Take first left. This road also goes to Kumbakonam. There are two temples on this Road. Kanjanoor Shukran (Venus T4) and Suryinar Suryan (Sun T5).

Go towards Kumbakonam. Take right at the byPass. Go towards Swami Mallai (optional darshan at famous temple but not part of Navgraha) Use the same road to reach Thingaloor chandran (Moon Temple T6)

Come Back to Kumbakonam Take the Mannarkudi Highway Reach Alangudi Guru - (Jupiter Temple T7)- Go back towards Kumbakonam.

Before you reach the city, turn right on karaikudi road. ThiruNageswaran (Rahu Temple T8). Continue on Karaikudi road to reach the last Thirunalluru Shani (Saturn Temple T9).

By custom this temple must be the last to visit. Take NH45A back to Chennai via Sirkazi-Chidambaram

We visited other temples (not Navgraha) like SwamiMallai (Murugan), Abhirami Amman(Devi), Chidambaram (Shiva) etc.. Also spent some time in Pondicherry.

Took the East coast road back. The road is narrower than NH45 but speeds were almost the same.
Tindrums is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 23:08   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Hey guys,
A quick question.
On the 5th or 6th I will be travelling from nellore to hyd
Can you please update me about the road condition, expressways, percentage of divided or undivided roads if I travel via nellore-ongole-addanki-nagarjuna sagar hyderabad.

Is this road better or the nellore-ongole-vijayawada-hyderabad better.
Thank you
I am not sure what road you took. I drove to my native place between Guntur and Ongole during the last weekend. I usually drive via Vijayawada, but after seeing a news article quoting the completion of SH2, I drove via Hyd-Nalgonda-Piduguralla-Narasarao peta-Chilakaluri peta-Martur. The drive was a breeze and took just about 4.30 hours including a lunch break and a snacks break totaling 45 mins. Except for a few stretches in the villages and towns, the road is good and the traffic is sparse. I saved about 1.30 hour travel time and about 250 rs in toll costs. They may start collecting the toll in a couple of weeks.
umvarma is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 03:16   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umvarma View Post
I am not sure what road you took. I drove to my native place between Guntur and Ongole during the last weekend. I usually drive via Vijayawada, but after seeing a news article quoting the completion of SH2, I drove via Hyd-Nalgonda-Piduguralla-Narasarao peta-Chilakaluri peta-Martur. The drive was a breeze and took just about 4.30 hours including a lunch break and a snacks break totaling 45 mins. Except for a few stretches in the villages and towns, the road is good and the traffic is sparse. I saved about 1.30 hour travel time and about 250 rs in toll costs. They may start collecting the toll in a couple of weeks.
What is the current status of Narketpalli to Addanki highway? Is four laning complete or work still going on? I had travelled to Guntur on this route exactly a year back. Lot of diversions and road expansion works going on. One of my friends is planning to travel by this road to Chennai. Can you please share more information about toll, hotels etc.,?
JoseVijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 11:25   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
What is the current status of Narketpalli to Addanki highway? Is four laning complete or work still going on? I had travelled to Guntur on this route exactly a year back. Lot of diversions and road expansion works going on. One of my friends is planning to travel by this road to Chennai. Can you please share more information about toll, hotels etc.,?
Hi Vijay,

The four laning is complete. The road is good most of the part except for a few stretches (roads in the villages and towns). The toll booths and personal are in place, but they are not charging the toll as of now. From what I heard, the toll collections start on Feb 1st. One can easily reach Medarametla from Narketpalli in 3 hours even after driving sedately thanks to the sparse traffic.

I couldn't locate any hotels before Piduguralla. Piduguralla and Addanki have no bypass, you can find a few hotels in these towns. Once you reach NH5, food won't be a problem.

Regards,
Mohan.
umvarma is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 11:27   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Once you reach NH5, food won't be a problem.
Food on NH5 is a huge problem!There is absolutely nothing between VJA & Chennai outskirts except for a GHAR dhaba somewhere after Nellore

Just for my understanding,the entire stretch of Narketpalli-Pidigurlla-Medarametla-Ongole is now 4 laned?

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 17th January 2014 at 11:31.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 15:13   #487
BHPian

Even I saw in a news article that IL&FS (who are awarded the project) have completed the 4 laning between Narketpalli and Addanki and have even secured provisional completion certificate sometime in the first week of Jan. If correct, it is like a dream come true for many. I frequently travel between Hyd and Chennai and am never comfortable with all the high toll and the extra distance while travelling through VJA. Its not even a time saver. This route would drastically reduce distance and time as well if completed.

Last edited by racer_ash : 17th January 2014 at 15:16.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 16:18   #488
BHPian

When I have travelled in this route last month, there were some small portions still under construction. The main thing I observed is, the portions near the entry and exit of villages in this route are not completed. So whenever a village/town nearing, you have to struggle as the roads would be non existing. Once you cross these the road would be breeze to drive.

Thanks,
rnidumolu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 18:56   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnidumolu View Post
When I have travelled in this route last month, there were some small portions still under construction. The main thing I observed is, the portions near the entry and exit of villages in this route are not completed. So whenever a village/town nearing, you have to struggle as the roads would be non existing. Once you cross these the road would be breeze to drive.

Thanks,
Can Narketpalli(NH9)-Ongole(NH5) be covered in 3hrs via this route under normal driving conditions in its present state?
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 21:48   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Just for my understanding,the entire stretch of Narketpalli-Pidigurlla-Medarametla-Ongole is now 4 laned?
The entire stretch of Narketpalli-Piduguralla-Medarametla-Ongle stretch is 4 lane, except for the roads in the villages and towns on this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnidumolu View Post

Thanks,
One has to slow down while driving through the villages due to the bad roads and speed breakers. I have not seen any road construction activity in these villages, so the road status is expected to stay the same. As you mentioned, one can immediately zip after exiting the village. Luckily these stretches are not many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Can Narketpalli(NH9)-Ongole(NH5) be covered in 3hrs via this route under normal driving conditions in its present state?
It took little over four hours for me to reach travel from Madhapur-ORR-Narketpally-Piduguralla-Narasarao Peta-Chilakaluri Peta. You wouldn't need more than 3 to 3 1/2 hours to reach Ongole from Narketpally.
umvarma is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 18:26   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Vijay, The four laning is complete. The road is good most of the part except for a few stretches (roads in the villages and towns). The toll booths and personal are in place, but they are not charging the toll as of now. From what I heard, the toll collections start on Feb 1st. One can easily reach Medarametla from Narketpalli in 3 hours even after driving sedately thanks to the sparse traffic. I couldn't locate any hotels before Piduguralla. Piduguralla and Addanki have no bypass, you can find a few hotels in these towns. Once you reach NH5, food won't be a problem. Regards, Mohan.
Thanks UMverma. Took this route today from Hyderabad to chennai. Awesome road. As you mentioned the villages and towns are not converted to 4 lanes but it is not show stoppers.

6.15 am: Nizampet road start and reached my home at Ashoknagar by 5 pm. This included 40 minutes break at Ongole and Fog for about 30 kms before narketpally.

Took ORR - NH65 till Narketpally and then joined chennai GQ at medaramatla.

7.45 am: narketpally.
11:00 am: medaramatla.
40 min break.
1.45 pm: Nellore. Stretch between ongole and Nellore was very bad. Lots of constructions and speed breakers along with surface ripped at many places. This slows down significantly.
3.00 pm: gummidipoondi. Stopped for a tea break.
After this the chennai traffic slowed down took red hills, puzhal, madhavaram, 100 feet road and reached my home at 4.55pm.

Absolutely no restaurants to eat in the SH2 other than Dhabas. but lots of fuel pump stations. But road is a beauty. Toll booths are in place and they are going to start collecting toll from Feb. be watchful for speed breakers as you enter and leave the towns like Tipparthy , Pidiguralla. No by pass for Pidiguralla yet. Saw a Foodplaza on Nellore bypass not sure how good it it is.
venki.bala is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 14:16   #492
BHPian

Hyderabad-Chennai

hyderabad -->choutuppal-->chityala-->narketpalli-->yellariGuda-->nalagonda-^->miryalaguda
-->piduguralla-->adanki-^->ongole-->kavali-->nellore-~->nidupeta-->chennai

Legends:
-->smooth
-^->bad roads
-~->curves/Ghats

road awesomeness quotient :95%
Restaurants / Dhabas : 3%
Average speed maintained: 73 kmph
Average traffic: 20-30%
Straight stretch (road meets horizon): 20km
Sharp curves: 10%
Mileage (1.3l mjd 90hp) : 17.2 kmpl
Time taken (city to city ): 7:38
Time taken (door to door) : 9:08
Total distance (door to door) : 680 km [Srinagar colony -> Tambram east]

--***---

1>Was hit with heavy fog now and then while going. [Picture attached]
2>since itís a brand new road , few diversions and speed breakers were there .
3>bigger speed breakers mostly near villages.
4>the roads crossing via the villages are very new and locals have not fully adapted to that.
5>be careful while crossing the towns and villages
6>there is no dhaba at all [except few near nellore/ongole ]
7>return journey had decent restaurants near nalagonda [picture attached]

Fog [Visibility ~ 100m]
Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries-1-1.jpg

Most tolls towards Chennai are ready , few before crossing AP were under construction.
Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries-1-2.jpg

Few temples under construction
Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries-1-5.jpg

Hanumanji Under Construction
Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries-1-6.jpg

Rivers on the way
Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries-1-7.jpg

Rest areas and restaurants while returning from Chennai , near Narketpalli

Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries-1-3.jpg

Average Speed
Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries-photo.jpg

I couldn't help but upload this 1 too
Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries-photo-1.jpg

Last edited by ARAY : 3rd February 2014 at 14:28.
ARAY is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 17:55   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aritraray View Post
Hyderabad-Chennai

hyderabad -->choutuppal-->chityala-->narketpalli-->yellariGuda-->nalagonda-^->miryalaguda
-->piduguralla-->adanki-^->ongole-->kavali-->nellore-~->nidupeta-->chennai

Legends:
-->smooth
-^->bad roads
-~->curves/Ghats

road awesomeness quotient :95%
Restaurants / Dhabas : 3%
Average speed maintained: 73 kmph
Average traffic: 20-30%
Straight stretch (road meets horizon): 20km
Sharp curves: 10%
Mileage (1.3l mjd 90hp) : 17.2 kmpl
Time taken (city to city ): 7:38
Time taken (door to door) : 9:08
Total distance (door to door) : 680 km [Srinagar colony -> Tambram east]

--***---

1>Was hit with heavy fog now and then while going. [Picture attached]
2>since itís a brand new road , few diversions and speed breakers were there .
3>bigger speed breakers mostly near villages.
4>the roads crossing via the villages are very new and locals have not fully adapted to that.
5>be careful while crossing the towns and villages
6>there is no dhaba at all [except few near nellore/ongole ]
7>return journey had decent restaurants near nalagonda [picture attached]

Fog [Visibility ~ 100m]
Attachment 1200984

Most tolls towards Chennai are ready , few before crossing AP were under construction.
Attachment 1200985

Few temples under construction
Attachment 1200988

Hanumanji Under Construction
Attachment 1200989

Rivers on the way
Attachment 1200990

Rest areas and restaurants while returning from Chennai , near Narketpalli
Thanks aritraray.
Me too planning the same route. Or I would say this is my regular route.
Planning to start early( At least by 5.30am) this time on 11th April.
Seems there is a lot of improvement on the roads condition as per your post.

Coincidence is, I am also staying in East Tambaram and might go to Ameerpet this time ( Regular end point is Chaitanyapuri).
Will try to upload some more latest pics.

Not sure about the opening time of CCD at Integrated Check post near Tada.
Planning to take quick breakfast brake at this point. Its exactly 95 Kms from my house in Rajakilpakkam in East Tambaram.

Suggestions for Lunch break solicited.

Regards,
Maverick79.
Maverick79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 00:32   #494
Team-BHP Support

Would this route be viable for a night drive.
Does it have devided carriageway for most of distance.
No unmarked diversions.

Petrol bunks around Ongole that are open.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 10:46   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Would this route be viable for a night drive.
Does it have devided carriageway for most of distance.
No unmarked diversions.

Petrol bunks around Ongole that are open.
No need to worry about Petrol Bunks. There are plenty near Ongole which would be open in the nights. Only worry would be the stretch between piduguralla and Nalgonda. Even though the diversions are marked, one will have to be very careful while negotiating these diversions and the speed breakers. Many of the Volvos and RTC buses in the Hyd - Ongole sector have also started taking SH2 till ongole.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote