Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 30th September 2014, 11:37   #526
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries

I am driving down from Hyderabad to Adyar, Chennai later this week.

Since I live very close to the ORR, the exit part is very smooth. I plan to leave at 4AM so that my kids can sleep for the better part of the journey.

Usually we pack food with us for the journey. But would like to know if there is some good options en-route. Just in case we feel like stopping.

My route is the Hyderabad - Narketpally - Addanki - Puzhal - Porur - Guindy - Adyar.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 12:13   #527
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
But would like to know if there is some good options en-route.
BP COCOO with Ghar Dhaba is located on RHS on the Ongole bypass of NH 5, while driving from Hyderabad to Chennai. Recently, we stopped there for our dinner packed from home. We used their rest-room only.
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 10:21   #528
Team-BHP Support

I drove yesterday. Was really fast till I crossed Ongole. But after that my poor daughter fell ill. A bad case of dysentery.

Had to make multiple stops. We were quite exhausted by the time we crossed Nellore. There is a new Apollo Hospital that has opened just 500 meters off the highway.
May God bless those angels.

They made my little girl feel like a princess. Gave some medicine and it fixed it.

We reached home in Chennai exactly 12 hours after we started the drive.

Took the Annanagar route instead of the planned Byepass.
bblost is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 21:26   #529
BHPian

Quote:
I drove yesterday. Was really fast till I crossed Ongole. But after that my poor daughter fell ill. A bad case of dysentery.

Had to make multiple stops. We were quite exhausted by the time we crossed Nellore.
We reached home in Chennai exactly 12 hours after we started the drive.
Hope the little princess is fine now. Is the road work between Ongole and Chennai still going on? I had travelled to Chennai few months back, and there were many diversions. Felt very exhausted between Ongole and Chennai.
JoseVijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 23:03   #530
Team-BHP Support

She is fine. Thanks.

The only bad road was on the final approach to Chennai.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 11:21   #531

I just posted last week's experience of BPCL Ghar Dhaba at Ulavapadu. I think they urgently need to work on getting running water for the facilities

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3549675 (Hyderabad to Tirupati : Route Info)
rsksnt is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 20:04   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Hope the little princess is fine now. Is the road work between Ongole and Chennai still going on? I had travelled to Chennai few months back, and there were many diversions. Felt very exhausted between Ongole and Chennai.
I just travelled last weekend ( Chennai to Vizag and back )Six way is almost complete between Vijayawada and Ongole. Between Ongole and Kavali, its 60% completed. Nellore - Chennai stretch is not completed and has many diversions before Chennai. Service roads are bad in bad shape.
virgovencat is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 22:19   #533
Team-BHP Support

I drove back to Hyderabad today.

Left my home in Adyar at 6:30 AM. From Kathipara, I went on towards Porur and joined the Byepass.
The road quality is not that great. It forces you to keep within 80 kmph.

Close to Nellore, my daughter said she is hungry and hence I entered the city.
BIG MISTAKE.

We did find a Haritha and the food was good. But rejoining the highway was a pain. My gps took me thru some narrow village roads with heavy traffic.

I reached home in Hyderabad at around 5:15 PM.

Couple of points:
1. The roads for Hyderabad to Chennai are better than same road on the Chennai to Hyderabad side.
2. You need sun glasses, preferably polarized. After Addanki you will have a lot of glare in your eyes.
Piduguraila has a nice HP bunk that accepts credit cards.
Old 12th October 2014, 09:23   #534
BHPian

A part of the GQ between Chennai and Kolkata has been closed in Andhra Pradesh due to Hudhud Cyclone. Anyone having travel plans to Kolkata? Please postpone your journey as the cyclone seems to be very severe and also because the National Highway has been closed.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 19:33   #535
BHPian

Quote:
My route is the Hyderabad - Narketpally - Addanki - Puzhal - Porur - Guindy - Adyar.
Could you please give some more details of Hyderabad - Narketpally - Addanki-Ongole section? Is this just one road or with many road changes?How are the road conditions and signages? Though I have travelled by bus many times in this route a few years ago (I think buses used to take Sagar- Ibrahimpatnam route) this is the first time I will be driving in this route enroute to Nagpur from Chennai.Also appreciate any update on NH5 Road condition post HudHud .
Thanks

Last edited by ramanak : 14th October 2014 at 19:39.
ramanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 20:54   #536
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
Could you please give some more details of Hyderabad - Narketpally - Addanki-Ongole section? Is this just one road or with many road changes?How are the road conditions and signages? Though I have travelled by bus many times in this route a few years ago (I think buses used to take Sagar- Ibrahimpatnam route) this is the first time I will be driving in this route enroute to Nagpur from Chennai.Also appreciate any update on NH5 Road condition post HudHud .
Thanks
Don't worry. You cannot miss the road.
From Hyderabad get on the Vijayawada highway. Close to Narketpally look out for signboard that point towards Chennai and Guntur.

This is a right turn. From here the road will take you straight to Addanki.
There are a couple of bad patches. But they will not be problem as they are less than 5% of the total road.
Old 15th October 2014, 05:39   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
Could you please give some more details of Hyderabad - Narketpally - Addanki-Ongole section? Is this just one road or with many road changes?How are the road conditions and signages? Thanks
Quote:
Don't worry. You cannot miss the road.
From Hyderabad get on the Vijayawada highway. Close to Narketpally look out for signboard that point towards Chennai and Guntur.

This is a right turn. From here the road will take you straight to Addanki.
There are a couple of bad patches. But they will not be problem as they are less than 5% of the total road.
Narketpalli comes after Chityal. At the entrance of Narketpalli you will find two roads: One single road on the left which goes into the town and one on the right (4 Lane) which continues towards Vijayawada by passing Narketpalli. Take the road which continues towards Vijayawada.
This roads looks like a long bridge/flyover. If you continue on the left most lane you will find a descent towards your left. Take that descent and turn right on to Narketpallu - Addanki highway.
JoseVijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 11:46   #538
BHPian

Guys,
Appreciate any recent update on this route, post the cyclone impact.
Planning to drive again tomorrow morning and return early next week.

This time again with my 6 month old son and 4 adults(Including me).

Last week while driving back from Vijayawada to Chennai, there was no major impact found due to cyclone.

Not sure how it is from Ongole - Addanki - Miryalaguda stretch. Especially this week.

Thanks and regards,
Maverick79.
Maverick79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 19:57   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Guys,
Not sure how it is from Ongole - Addanki - Miryalaguda stretch. Especially this week.
Drove day before yesterday in this section. Road condition is quite good except for the sections where it passes through villages and towns enroute.
ramanak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2014, 13:57   #540
BHPian

Just a tip. While driving from Hyderabad on this route, there is a dhabha just before Narketpally on the right side of the highway where you get decent food and clean toilets. There is also a CCD in the same complex. This is your only decent option if you are going via Miryalaguda - Nalgonda - Addanki stretch.

Also, if you are really hungry when you are near Nellore, you can take a small detour into Nellore town but do NOT venture beyond the Mini Bypass road. There are many good restaurants on Mini Bypass road. It is also easier for you to get back on to NH5 from that road. Best entry point for Nellore is at the Apollo Hospitals junction.

Regards
Venu
venuvedam is offline   Reply With Quote