Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th May 2015, 12:58   #586

Default re: Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries

Dear BHPians,

I am a newbie to the forum. Had joined Team BHP months back but could not get myself introduced owing to an offshore posting.

Came back to Hyderabad last month and am back to my regular schedules. Friends I am a whistler and I whistle out songs and tunes. Me and my whistling friends had performed in Bangalore last year and thanks to the hearty applause of the audience, we were motivated for a show in Chennai this year. Sunday, 24th May is the date for the show and I am driving from Hyderabad to Chennai with my family (Wife and my 10 months old son) on a Hyundai i10 Magna irde2.

This is sort of an unfamiliar road for me, as I have never traveled on this route earlier. I was going through the latest posts on this thread and realized that the Hyderabad-Nalgonda-Ongole-Nellore-Chennai route is the most preferred one.

Requesting for suggestions from you on the following:
1. Which time would be ideal for driving on this route (Day/Night), keeping in mind I have a baby with me.
2. Any specific fuel stations which are preferable over others.
3. Some of the good Restaurants/food joints en route.

And yes, an open invite for the show! Once decided, I will share the exact venue and time.

Many Thanks!
Dashing Dashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 14:30   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashing Dashes View Post
I am a newbie to the forum. Had joined Team BHP months back but could not get myself introduced owing to an offshore posting.

1. Which time would be ideal for driving on this route (Day/Night), keeping in mind I have a baby with me.

And yes, an open invite for the show! Once decided, I will share the exact venue and time.
Welcome to TBHP.

Best time would be based on your baby's schedule and wife's comfort. It also depends in whether you prefer day or night drives. Both have merits and demerits.

I would start early morning so as to hit Ramoji Film City at 06:00/06:30 in the morning, but that would also see me getting tanned in the afternoon between Nellore and Chennai.

Do post details and invite for the show. Though I will not be in Chennai, some other members might be.

How about showing us your skill at a physical TBHP meet in Hyderabad?
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 17:23   #588
Team-BHP Support

The reason I have always preferred driving down to Chennai has been my need to have my transport with me. But now with the very good service available from uber and ola, I don't think I will be doing this journey anymore.

I am a new convert and very happy about it.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 07:32   #589
BHPian

Quote:
I am a newbie to the forum.

Sunday, 24th I am driving from Hyderabad to Chennai with family.

Warm welcome to the forum.

I am driving a week ahead of that.

With a 10 month old, I would recommend you put your family and infant on a train or flight and you doing the trip alone. It's peak summer and it's not going to be comfortable to do these long distances with the baby on the lap or in taking care of his dietary needs.

However in terms of a time for start I would start early 4 am and reach the city before the traffic hits.
thenomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 08:28   #590
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am driving from Hyderabad to Chennai with my family (Wife and my 10 months old son) on a Hyundai i10 Magna irde2.
- With a 10 month old baby, make sure to have a child seat.
- Start early morning around 4am.
- Make sure that your AC is working perfectly.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 14:48   #591

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Welcome to TBHP.

Best time would be based on your baby's schedule and wife's comfort. It also depends in whether you prefer day or night drives. Both have merits and demerits.

I would start early morning so as to hit Ramoji Film City at 06:00/06:30 in the morning, but that would also see me getting tanned in the afternoon between Nellore and Chennai.

Do post details and invite for the show. Though I will not be in Chennai, some other members might be.

Thank you all for your humble suggestions. I would prefer to start early (around 4:00 AM) in the morning; my wife is comfortable with it, and hope my baby also finds it OK! The plan has been much stretched by now. With me keeping busy in work for months together and not offering proper time to family, my wife has compelled me to agree for an extended trip to Munnar, where she has already made bookings for 4 days starting 26th May. Another halt would be at Bangalore on our way back to Hyderabad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Welcome to TBHP.
I will positively share the details of the show by this weekend, and it will be my pleasure to perform at TBHP meet in Hyderabad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
- With a 10 month old baby, make sure to have a child seat.
- Start early morning around 4am.
- Make sure that your AC is working perfectly.
I am getting a child seat today, and yes, AC is in perfect condition.
Old 11th May 2015, 19:36   #592
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I am getting a child seat today, and yes, AC is in perfect condition.

Do install the sun shades on all the rear windows.
That also helps keep the car a little cooler.

Get Atlasware brand water bottles. These can keep hot water hot for almost 18 hours. It comes in handy when preparing cerelac etc for the baby.
Banana's are another easy to feed fruits.

Have a safe trip.

There is an Apollo at Nellore. I once had to stop there when my daughter suddenly got diarrhea. It was a pain searching for a hospital with a sick kid. So try and keep a small map of all such services.
Old 12th May 2015, 12:31   #593
BHPian

Folks,
Did this route recenlty on 25th April and back on 27th in Fiesta.
Again on 1st May to Hyd and back from Eluru on 6th May to Chennai.

The leg from Narketpalli till Addanki is too good. Just be careful with some stray cattle coming up from no where in between.

Now, the leg from Ongole to Nellore is full of deviations facilitating road repairs. I stopped counting the deviations when they crossed 22 nos.

I started from Eluru around 2.30 pm and reached Ongole by 5.30 pm. However from Ongole to Tada, it took me till 9.30 pm.
Seems these frequent deviations are very recent.

It generally takes only 4 to 4.5 hours on either ways in this stretch.

Road condition is good. But Deviations with speed breakers will reduce your avg speeds and make you bored/ tired.

Luckily, my 1 year old son was too tired in the 1st half of the day attending a marriage and hence he was sleeping most of the time.

Apologies for not uploading the pics as my mobile is not getting connected through the micro USB.

Regards,
Maverick79.
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 12:42   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Folks,

I started from Eluru around 2.30 pm and reached Ongole by 5.30 pm. However from Ongole to Tada, it took me till 9.30 pm.
Seems these frequent deviations are very recent.

Regards,
Maverick79.
My only doubt here... How did you manage to cross the city of Vijayawada and reach Ongole in 3 hours from Eluru? Was the traffic so thin when you crossed the city?
JoseVijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 13:16   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
My only doubt here... How did you manage to cross the city of Vijayawada and reach Ongole in 3 hours from Eluru? Was the traffic so thin when you crossed the city?
Yes.
I was very lucky that day.
From Ramvarapadu to Benz circle, it took only 20 mins in the afternoon around 3:30 pm..
Then on-wards, it was a breeze on the 6 lane GQ route.

Further, we didn't stop anywhere till we crossed Ongole, as my Son slept immediately after getting into the ride.
Sorry, I missed to inform earlier, my ride was an Endy this time. Was able to maintain triple digit speeds easily on the GQ.

Regards,
Maverick79.
Maverick79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 22:03   #596

Dear Maverick79, thanks for the latest update. Good to know about the diversions between Ongole to Nellore, will have to be a bit careful. By now, I am already geared up for the drive with all essentials in place.

Regards,
Dashing Dashes

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th May 2015 at 06:37. Reason: Let us stick to the thread topic please.
Old 19th May 2015, 21:05   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
6 Lane road is completed between Vijayawada and Ongole now. 155KM is just breez now. The road is also fenced on both sides. It's absolutely fantastic to drive on this stretch !!
virgovencat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2015, 13:09   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Maverick79, thanks for the latest update. Good to know about the diversions between Ongole to Nellore, will have to be a bit careful. By now, I am already geared up for the drive with all essentials in place.

Regards,
Dashing Dashes
Traveled Chennai and back 2days back.
Ongole to Nellore six laning is almost complete.
Some of the flyovers are not ready and have to take the service lanes.
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 15:16   #599
BHPian

Travelled to Hyderabad and returned last week. few diversions between Nellore and Ongole slows you down. the number of diversions have reduced as most if the flyovers are opened. the NAM Expressway or APSH2 has few diversions between Pidiguralla and Mriyalaguda as they are widening 2 lanes on to 4. While going we had packed food and stopped for Bio breaks at Amaravathi, Gudur, HP COCO near Medarametla and Hotel Vivera, Narketpally. While coming back had breakfast at Vivera. It was jam packed. Lunch had to search around inside Ongole for a Veg only option but found Hotel Ramyas, Veg meals hotel in Kurnool road. Awesome andhra thali food, extremely fast service, even though crowded. It is not very far from the main highway, parking is a problem but manageable. it took about 10.5 hrs including bio breaks while going to hyderabad from Ashok Pillar and took almost 13 hrs as bf break at vivera cost us heavily. It was raining till Ongole while coming back and water gets stagnated on the right lanes near the curves in APSH2. Hence had to be little careful near the curves.
venki.bala is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2015, 06:27   #600
Team-BHP Support

I left my home near APPA Junction on the ORR at around 3:45 PM.
A relaxed drive till Addanki. It was about here that the evening went really dark and it started raining. This had a slowing down effect as visibility went very poor.

The AH45 at Ongole being much wider allowed me to drive a little faster but the rain meant I was better off not crossing even a 100.

After Nellore a new Coffee Day has opened up. A hot cappuccino provided much needed respite.

The roads as you approach Chennai are still in poor condition. Since I was encountering them at around midnight there were no pedestrians and I was able to cruise thru comfortably.

A lot of Police everywhere. They did not stop me. Only one checkpost had them shine the torch at the inside of the car. They also found me boring and let me go without even an acknowledgment.

Reached home in Adyar around 1:15 AM.