Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 6th August 2015, 00:11   #601
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries

On my return journey, there were a couple of cops stationed at Miryalaguda just outside a Maruti Service Center.

They had a Speed Camera inside the Jeep.
Almost every car was speeding as the road was straight and not having much traffic.

I paid my first speeding fine of Rs 400 for doing 95 kmph in a 80 kmph zone.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 17:53   #602
BHPian

I have to travel to Nellore on October 21st. Will there be any trouble on the Narketpally - Addanki sector due to the Amaravati event on October 22nd? Any alternate routes that I should look at?
venuvedam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 06:52   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
I have to travel to Nellore on October 21st. Will there be any trouble on the Narketpally - Addanki sector due to the Amaravati event on October 22nd? Any alternate routes that I should look at?
Amravathi does not fall in this route. There should not be any problem for you.
JoseVijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 14:15   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Traveled to Chennai 2 days back.
@gajadonga Thanks so much for the detail on the route. Planning a trip in December to Hyderabad and back. Have you been on this road recently?

Fellow TeamBHPians, anyone driven on the said route recently?

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting long posts while responding

Last edited by ampere : 19th November 2015 at 08:56. Reason: Edited quoted post.
qr20de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 15:21   #605
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr20de View Post
Fellow TeamBHPians, anyone driven on the said route recently?
Yes, I did. I drove Chennai>Ongole>Hyderabad and back recently. Road-widening works from 4 to 6 lanes and flyover constructions are in progress between Chennai and Ongole on many stretches. But, there are good diversions all over with proper signages. Ditto from Addanki to Narketpally. Many flyovers, bypasses and road-widening works are in progress. Added to that, there are AP and TS RTO check-posts too. Totally, there are 3 toll plazas between Addanki and Narketpally after taking the toll SH.
J.Ravi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 10:35   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Yes, I did. I drove Chennai>Ongole>Hyderabad and back recently. Road-widening works from 4 to 6 lanes and flyover constructions are in progress between Chennai and Ongole on many stretches. But, there are good diversions all over with proper signages. Ditto from Addanki to Narketpally. Many flyovers, bypasses and road-widening works are in progress. Added to that, there are AP and TS RTO check-posts too. Totally, there are 3 toll plazas between Addanki and Narketpally after taking the toll SH.
Thanks J.Ravi for the information. I'm sure its going to be a pleasant drive and quite beautiful too. If I may also ask, could you recommend any good places to eat along the way?
qr20de is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 13:01   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks J.Ravi for the information. I'm sure its going to be a pleasant drive and quite beautiful too. If I may also ask, could you recommend any good places to eat along the way?
If your destination is Hyderabad, Would suggest packing food from Chennai.
ramanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 21:06   #608

Quote:
could you recommend any good places to eat along the way?
While going from Chennai, we pack our dinner from home and eat at BP COCOO [LHS of NH5 while going from Chennai] at Ongole. Ghar Dhaba attached with BP COCOO is not that great. While returning, we used to have dinner at Hyderabad. So, I don't have first hand experience on food front. Of course, we used to have tea from the road-side eateries/tea stalls.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 23:20   #609
BHPian

Ravi Sir,

Planning to drive to Rajahmundry on Nov 1st week. It will be my Fiesta and my friends BMW.

My friend is worried about the diversions and speed breakers. Are these big speed breakers which can scrape the underbelly of BMW. Also are there many diversions.

Is it possible to reach Vijaywada in 6 hours with so many diversions and all. We don't cross over 95km at all times.

Quote:
While going from Chennai, we pack our dinner from home and eat at BP COCOO [LHS of NH5 while going from Chennai] at Ongole. Ghar Dhaba attached with BP COCOO is not that great. While returning, we used to have dinner at Hyderabad. So, I don't have first hand experience on food front. Of course, we used to have tea from the road-side eateries/tea stalls.
Chillout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 07:36   #610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
Are these big speed breakers which can scrape the underbelly of BMW. Also are there many diversions.
There are many diversions. On these diversions, there are rumble strips or series of speeed-breakers. So, ask your BMW friend to drive very slowly on these rumble strips. If driven slowly, I don't think, BMW will bottom-scrape. Be careful while driving on these diversions. Once, I drove towards Kavali town, realized the blunder, took U turn and resumed NH5!
Quote:
Is it possible to reach Vijaywada in 6 hours with so many diversions and all.
My timing during my SK, AS & AR trip: left Royapettah, Chennai at 4:45 pm and crossed Vijayawada bypass after midnight at 00:30 am with breaks for dinner and tea driving at 100 kmph. Yes, Chennai - Ongole stretch takes it toll!
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2015, 13:13   #611
BHPian

Quote:
There are many diversions. On these diversions, there are rumble strips or series of speeed-breakers. So, ask your BMW friend to drive very slowly on these rumble strips. If driven slowly, I don't think, BMW will bottom-scrape. Be careful while driving on these diversions. Once, I drove towards Kavali town, realized the blunder, took U turn and resumed NH5!

My timing during my SK, AS & AR trip: left Royapettah, Chennai at 4:45 pm and crossed Vijayawada bypass after midnight at 00:30 am with breaks for dinner and tea driving at 100 kmph. Yes, Chennai - Ongole stretch takes it toll!
Thanks Ravi Sir.

Will negotiate those diversions carefully, we are also planning to leave around 4:00 pm stay at Tenali and then move on to Rajahmundry next day. The hotel name is Goutham grand and is a 30km diversion, but the hotel has good reviews on Tripadvisor
Chillout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2015, 16:45   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
Thanks Ravi Sir.

Will negotiate those diversions carefully, we are also planning to leave around 4:00 pm stay at Tenali and then move on to Rajahmundry next day. The hotel name is Goutham grand and is a 30km diversion, but the hotel has good reviews on Tripadvisor
Hi - Just a word of caution. Vijayawada - Rajahmundry highyway is not in great shape at few places ( Post Eluru exit road)The road is very uneven. Just watch out for those stretches.
virgovencat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 06:58   #613
BHPian

Default Hyderabad - Chennai drive. Is it safe to drive tomorrow?

Friends, am planning to drive to Chennai tomorrow from Hyderabad. The route would be the Narketpalli, Ongole, Nellore, Red Hills to Tambaram bye pass and reach our home at Pallikaranai by about 3 pm.
Has the flood water receded? Is it safe to drive? Any suggestions? Please respond. Thanks in advance.
Krishnan V G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 10:54   #614
BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad - Chennai drive. Is it safe to drive tomorrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan V G View Post
..The route would be the Narketpalli, Ongole, Nellore, Red Hills to Tambaram bye pass and reach our home at Pallikaranai by about 3 pm.
There were some news about severe damage on NH5 post Nellore, got hold of following for reference:
- NH5
- NH16/NH5
deepv is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 14:00   #615
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Hyderabad - Chennai drive. Is it safe to drive tomorrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan V G View Post
Friends, am planning to drive to Chennai tomorrow from Hyderabad. The route would be the Narketpalli, Ongole, Nellore, Red Hills to Tambaram bye pass and reach our home at Pallikaranai by about 3 pm.
Has the flood water receded? Is it safe to drive? Any suggestions? Please respond. Thanks in advance.
Hi Krishnan,

Did you drive on this route?

Thanks
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote