Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 3rd August 2017, 20:59   #721
BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post

By the way, I am travelling to Hyderabad on a Saturday (5/12). I intend to start as early as 3AM but I am already receiving yelling from family opposing the idea.
If you refer my update few posts above, I did start at 3AM from Chennai. As soon as I exited Chennai city limits, encountered heavy rains and had trouble wading through due to very poor visibility, unlit roads, slow moving trucks(though well disciplined) and pools of water on road.
It can be done if you are used to start early, which I always prefer, but better consider all the above things before taking the decision.
Makin Rulesz is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 21:42   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
If you refer my update few posts above, I did start at 3AM from Chennai. As soon as I exited Chennai city limits, encountered heavy rains and had trouble wading through due to very poor visibility, unlit roads, slow moving trucks(though well disciplined) and pools of water on road.
It can be done if you are used to start early, which I always prefer, but better consider all the above things before taking the decision.
Thank you Makin Rulesz! In spite of all those hurdles you made it in 10hrs approximately. I am used to doing different shifts and staying awake or going asleep isn't an issue for me. But with family along I will be doubly responsible

By the way, how does the route snap that I have attached in the earlier post look? Is it the same as the one that you and bblost took?
petrolhead_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 22:13   #723
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

By the way, how does the route snap that I have attached in the earlier post look? Is it the same as the one that you and bblost took?
This is the route I take.

From my home in Adyar, I get to Porur. Then via the Chennai Bypass I connect to the Nellore Highway.
About 30 kms after Ongole there is a left turn under a flyover.
That takes us to Addanki.
The Addanki road leads on to Pidugurila and then Nalgonda.
Connects to the Hyderabad - Vijayawada highway. After Ramoji Filmcity, you get to the Hyderabad ORR.

The Chennai Bypass to Nellore connection is the only one where I have messed up. Happened during my bike ride earlier this year. Have no idea where I went wrong, but I ended up adding a considerable amount of really bad state highway roads to the trip.

If you are driving, I strongly recommend you keep google maps on for this section.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 12:03   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Makin Rulesz! In spite of all those hurdles you made it in 10hrs approximately. I am used to doing different shifts and staying awake or going asleep isn't an issue for me. But with family along I will be doubly responsible

Yes, I took the same route. My starting point was Medavakkam, and early morning start helped in driving through the city and saved some time. Apart from 30 minutes stop for breakfast we did not stop anywhere, so could maintain good average speeds.
Since I drove for the first time on this route, I was 100% relying on google maps.
Makin Rulesz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2017, 13:56   #725
Team-BHP Support

On the highway between Ongole and Chennai, came across multiple boards that said, "Black Zone, Starts in <distance in meters>".

I could not quite figure out what it means.
They were sometimes not around an intersection either.

Any idea, what they mean?
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2017, 18:02   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
On the highway between Ongole and Chennai, came across multiple boards that said, "Black Zone, Starts in <distance in meters>".

I too noticed them and my guess was they indicate accident prone areas.
Makin Rulesz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 12:13   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
I too noticed them and my guess was they indicate accident prone areas.
Correct. They are accident prone areas where either villages are connected or road with sharp turns and lesser banking angle. I understand from one of the Roads and Buildings person that they are identified based on the history of accidents and also on near misses.
Maverick79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 15:02   #728

Guys,

I travelled from Chennai to Hyderabad on 11th August and returned to Chennai on 14th August.

Started from my home at 5 am and stopped for breakfast at the N5 food plaza by 9 am. Not much traffic other than the usual lorry ones. The fastag helped me to breeze through the tolls. Looks to me the fastag is quite popular and I could see private buses and lorries are using them. Took the NAM express way. At some places nearing the town intersections the roads are bit pathetic. Reached Ramoji film city outskirts by 3pm and reached hotel in Yousufguda at 4.30 PM. Blame it on the diversions, flyover and metro constructions. Later someone told me that peak hour traffic starts at 3 PM. I wish I had taken the ORR from Ramoji. Total Travel time 11.30 minutes with 1.15 minutes rest in between. Total 636 KM as per google map.

Return travel to Chennai was started at 3 PM from Yousufguda and after a brief stopover to buy the mandatory Karachi biscuits. This time I put the google map for the airport and took the Vijayawada route in ORR. From there on took the NAM express way and reached the N5 toll plaza around 9.45 PM. It was raining and drizzling in most of the places and hence had to travel with caution. After the late night dinner at N5, reached home 2.30 AM. Total time again 11.30 hours but via much longer route through ORR. Total 700 KM.

Overall I suggest the NAM express way as it reduces the travel time. One has to be careful while in the SH2 for un-announced “goat” crossings. The villagers there will send their goats first to cross the dividers without checking for oncoming vehicles either side.
SubramoniamAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 16:05   #729
BHPian

I left to Hyderabad from Chennai at 4.20AM on 5th Aug. We stopped at Amaravathi around 7.00AM for breakfast. Reached N5 toll plaza at 10.10AM for a brief refreshment. Reached Choutapal/outskirts around 5.30PM. I had to reach Gachibowli and I took the ORR. The maps stopped working intermittently. The drive from outskirts of Hyderabad city to Gachibowli wasn't memorable due to this. It took around 11hrs 15mins only to reach Hyderabad outskirts and another 1.5hrs to reach Gachibowli.

On the return trip, I took the same route but drove the straight road from Malakpet to Choutapal instead of the ORR road. From thereon it was the same. We started around 4PM and reached home around 3.45AM with shorts refreshments. I took around 11hrs 45mins-ish to do 650kms.

Throughout the journey I kept averaging between 80kmph - 90kmph. The car is an 2016 Alto800 and it returned 18kmpl with 100% A/C and additional luggage. I emptied the Maruti coolant, washed and drained the tank and refilled with Glysantin G48 from Shell. It is a great product I must say. The tyre pressure was kept at 31 as per recommendations. I used sonax windscreen fluid. Post the journey the small car is so reliable now. I did not feel the shudders at occasional 100kmph bursts too. I can maybe relate the reason with car being full with passengers. The day after I returned I checked for unusual squeaks, rattles, leaks or noises from engine bay, doors, etc and I am very happy that the car is as good as new (Just 1yr). Great small car!

N5 plaza did not serve any traditional vegetarian or tiffin items for dinner. They serve heavy non-vegetarian foods which we were reluctant to eat. The restrooms were clean. Most of the dhabas/restaurants are forced to shut down around 10pm - 10.30pm itself by the highway patrol. So if you are planning to travel post evening, ensure you pack your food or plan accordingly.

I vote Chennai-Nellore-Ongole-Medarmetla-Addanki-Piduguralla-Narketpally-Hyderabad as the best route as per other's recommendation . Short patches of rough roads might be seen near Addanki and Piduguralla. Else, it is a bliss. I regret selling my '06 Baleno .

Thank you bblost and makin_rulez for your inputs.

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 16th August 2017 at 16:12.
petrolhead_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 22:16   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubramoniamAB View Post
Reached Ramoji film city outskirts by 3pm and reached hotel in Yousufguda at 4.30 PM. Blame it on the diversions, flyover and metro constructions. Later someone told me that peak hour traffic starts at 3 PM. I wish I had taken the ORR from Ramoji.
Must be one off day. Ramoji to Yousufguda either ways is 90 odd minutes at non peak times.
Traffic builds up after 5pm. Avoid via city if you touch Ramoji after 4pm.

Last edited by bblost : 16th August 2017 at 22:32. Reason: Fixed Quote. Thanks.
hyd_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote