Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 18th September 2007, 14:43   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I have gone all over India in a 1986 TVS Suzuki 100 cc bike (average cruising speed 65 kmph) which has a 6v lighting system, and never had any problems - does not matter which the bike is. It is all in the mind - and the skilled hands of the rider.
When I was younger and foolish, I did a Dharwad to Trivandrum trip via Bangalore (night halt), Ooty (just stopped for a tea!), Irinjalakuda (night halt), Athirampalli, Kodai (night halt). I was solo on a new 1989 KB100, 2 friends on a Bullet. Bullet packed up after Ooty, so 2 of us carried on the rest of the way. No planning was done; just had a rough idea of route, filled up and rode. Only mishaps were to kill a wayward goat somewhere near Palani, and a puncture on the ghat road after Kolathoopuzha.

Enjoy the ride.

Gears,
Red-One.
RedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 15:11   #17
BHPian

Riding down to kerala on a bike, nice idea mate..just go ahead. I did my first trip couple of years back and it was fun. I left b'lore arnd 4:00 in the morning and reached ktm at arnd 6:00pm, that too with adequate breaks in between....Just make sure you have proper and powerful headlights..., get ur bike serviced before the ride and since its raining now i would also suggest you to have proper clothing with you, including rain wear as it tends to get very cold as you keep riding.....i did my trip on my rx-100 and i still cherish those days !!! best of luck....
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 15:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne View Post
When I was younger and foolish, I did a Dharwad to Trivandrum trip via Bangalore (night halt), Ooty (just stopped for a tea!), Irinjalakuda (night halt), Athirampalli, Kodai (night halt). I was solo on a new 1989 KB100, 2 friends on a Bullet. Bullet packed up after Ooty, so 2 of us carried on the rest of the way. No planning was done; just had a rough idea of route, filled up and rode. Only mishaps were to kill a wayward goat somewhere near Palani, and a puncture on the ghat road after Kolathoopuzha.

Enjoy the ride.

Gears,
Red-One.

@ redone, that's exactly how one is supposed to go for long rides/drives .....that's where one would have all the fun !!
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2007, 17:02   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
It is a lot of fun and highly recommended provided you dont plan to make a habit of it. I made that mistake, and the effects of long rides in younger days manifested during later years.

If you must use an Indian bike for long distance travel I would suggest the Bullet because it leaves the least impact on your spine. The lighter vehicles are terrible.

PS: Its KERALA, not KERELA.
thats a good suggestion steeroid
and quite possibly the reason i have had no spine issues. probably a good change from the rx 88 to 92 to the machismo 92 till date.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote