Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 14th October 2007, 18:39   #31
BHPian

Madhukar will be back from this trip by today evening. Will ask him to write about the latest Road conditions.
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 13:54   #32
BHPian

Came back from the trip on sat evening.
Road conditions are pathetic on some of the highways. Here are the details:
Bangalore to Shimoga( Tarikere to kadur is bad, bhadravati to shimoga is bad), rest is good.
Shimoga-sagara-jog-honnavar is good. (about 25 kms before honnavara is not so good).
honnavara-ankola is bad. rood is good nearing karwar.
karwar-goa is not that bad. near concoa(or some similar name) it is not good but there are no potholes. on the goa side, about 30 kms is not that good, rest is ok.

on the back journery, we did goa-murdeshwara. this was bad. escpecially honnavara-bhatkal. road is drivable only in stretches, rest all 2nd or 3rd gear, in some places 1st gear also. heard that after byndnooru the road is bad too, but i did not go thou i had orginally planned. skipped maravanthe bcos of the road.
from murdeshwara went to kollur and to shimoga thru kollur, nagodi, nagara, hosanagara, shimoga. that road is good. maybe about 20 kms is not so good.

heard from a driver that hubli-karwar is also not good.

apart from the road i did enjoy my trip. but if you drive within limits i guess it is ok. it will take time but i was in no hurry. nh17 is not for 100+ kmph kind of people bcos u never know when a deep pothole will come. it is more like 50 kmph and u can negoatiate the bad roads better.

enjoy.
madhukar_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 15:59   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Madhukar! Glad to know you enjoyed the trip.

So, the most scenic part still has good road conditions, that is the Shimoga - Sagar - Jog - Honnavar part. I think i am going to stick to this one then.

Amitoj
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 13:04   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
Came back from the trip on sat evening.
Road conditions are pathetic on some of the highways. Here are the details:
Bangalore to Shimoga( Tarikere to kadur is bad, bhadravati to shimoga is bad), rest is good.
Shimoga-sagara-jog-honnavar is good. (about 25 kms before honnavara is not so good).
honnavara-ankola is bad. rood is good nearing karwar.
karwar-goa is not that bad. near concoa(or some similar name) it is not good but there are no potholes. on the goa side, about 30 kms is not that good, rest is ok.
Hi Madhukar,

Thks for the info. However what were the roadside facilities like? Things like
good eateries, clean toilets etc. On the GQ stretches there are the Reliance
pumps with attached "dhabas" which are very good. Anything similar on this route?

Would appreciate your input. Thanks
sudsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 14:52   #35
BHPian

hi sudsan,
i the route i went..
for breakfast try Matha's Residenancy in KC Road. if you leave at 6am i guess it will 8 or 8.30. it is on the right hand side. otherwise u can try Kamat in Tiptur which is very good.

for lunch we went to a hotel before sagara. it will be on ur right side. the hotel and facilities are very good.

in honnavara we stayed in Kamat Executive Inn and had dinner and breakfast there only. it is a very neat there both the room and rest.

honnavara to karwar was 2 hrs. we stayed in devbagh beach resort-2days. from there we went to colva beach. we stayed in longuinhos beach resort-2days. both the places are very good. on the return we stoped overnight in murdeshwara and shimogha.

thanks
Old 17th October 2007, 18:48   #36
BANNED

Quote:
First choice:

Bangalore -> Tumkur -> Kadoor -> Shimoga -> Sagar -> TaalGuppa -> Siddapur -> Sirsi -> Ankola -> Karwar -> Goa. (Aprox. 680km distanace)

Bad Stretches: Around Kadoor(30km), TaalGuppa(15km), once a while between karwar and goa so (Aprox. 75km distanace)
Ravi,

I think this would be my best bet. Could you please let me know how to get on to this route when I am driving south from Karwar? At Ankola there is the left turn to Ankola - but is there a separate turn for Sirsi?
deepakvrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 12:00   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
Ravi,

I think this would be my best bet. Could you please let me know how to get on to this route when I am driving south from Karwar? At Ankola there is the left turn to Ankola - but is there a separate turn for Sirsi?
If i look at wikimapia, then your biggest concern about this route should be how to get to Talguppa from Siddapur! There doesnt seem to be a road connecting the two. Siddapur is on SH48 and Talguppa is on NH206.

Also, looking at your post on the other thread, it seems Blore - Hubli - Ankola - Goa is out of the question now, for me that is!

Some people have suggested Bangalore Tumkur Sira Chitradurga Davangere Ranibennur Haveri Sirsi Mirjan Ankola Karwar Canacona Palolem Beach - Madgaon Panaji. My concerns about this route are :
1. Last time i drove on NH4, there were a lot of speedbreakers all through because of constructions. This was an year back. Are the speedbreakers still there or have they been removed? There is nothing more annoying on a highway than a well-hidden unmarked speedbreaker.
2. The Haveri - Sirsi - Mirjan part of this route is on State highways. I somehow dont have too much faith on SHs. Is it an unfounded bias here?

Last but not the least, what advantage does the above route have over Bang-Tumkur-Shimoga-Jog-Honnavar-Goa ?

Sigh. Too many choices is not always a good thing.

Would be nice to have a definitive route though. Tell you what! You do the Bangalore Tumkur Sira Chitradurga Davangere Ranibennur Haveri Sirsi Mirjan Ankola Karwar Canacona Palolem Beach - Madgaon Panaji route (in reverse of course) on your way back from Goa and i will do the Bang-Tumkur-Shimoga-Jog-Honnavar-Goa from Bangalore to Goa. And then we compare notes!

What say? Should be helpful for all those who are planning to go to goa later this year.

Amitoj
Old 18th October 2007, 14:18   #38
BHPian

you can see it in mapmyindia. give a search for driving direction between sagara, shimoga and sirsi, uttara kannada
Old 18th October 2007, 15:10   #39
BANNED

Amitoj,

I am planning the Goa, Honnavar, Shimoga, Tumkur, Bang route and will be doing it on 23/10. Will let you know here after that.

Last edited by kumar2007 : 18th October 2007 at 15:13.
kumar2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 16:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ravi,

1) on NH17 while coming from Karwar, Ankola town goes in the right side and the BP continues to the left...
2) After about 20km after Ankola, somewhere near Mirjan, there is a well marked single laned road (yes single laned but well marked with white lines in the corner) which goes in the left (I think there was a signboard for Sirsi there as well but i dont remember properly !!)...Take it, that road will hit the Sirsi road coming from Kumta...
Mirjan - Sirsi via the Devimane ghat is an excellent stretch...After Sirsi to Haveri, road is uneven in stretches but not potholed (good to uneven roads in every 20km and vice versa)....you can easily drive at 40-50kmph (bigger vehicles/SUVs will not complain at all)...

For me that is the best Blr - Goa route...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 17:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
1After Sirsi to Haveri, road is uneven in stretches but not potholed (good to uneven roads in every 20km and vice versa)....you can easily drive at 40-50kmph (bigger vehicles/SUVs will not complain at all)...
Abhi, what about NH4 between Haveri - Tumkur? Is it still riddled with speedbreakers?

Last edited by amitoj : 18th October 2007 at 17:13.
Old 18th October 2007, 17:18   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
1) on NH17 while coming from Karwar, Ankola town goes in the right side and the BP continues to the left...
2) After about 20km after Ankola, somewhere near Mirjan, there is a well marked single laned road (yes single laned but well marked with white lines in the corner) which goes in the left (I think there was a signboard for Sirsi there as well but i dont remember properly !!)...Take it, that road will hit the Sirsi road coming from Kumta...
Mirjan - Sirsi via the Devimane ghat is an excellent stretch...After Sirsi to Haveri, road is uneven in stretches but not potholed (good to uneven roads in every 20km and vice versa)....you can easily drive at 40-50kmph (bigger vehicles/SUVs will not complain at all)...

For me that is the best Blr - Goa route...

Abhi
Thanks but then I still have to do the Haveri-Chitradurga stretch. Is there a road fom Sirsi to Shimoga?
Old 18th October 2007, 17:19   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
Amitoj,

I am planning the Goa, Honnavar, Shimoga, Tumkur, Bang route and will be doing it on 23/10. Will let you know here after that.
Am thinking of the same Kumar-will let you know of how the road is.
Old 19th October 2007, 07:51   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Abhi, what about NH4 between Haveri - Tumkur? Is it still riddled with speedbreakers?
Haveri-Chitradurga has lots of diversions, hence you cannot speedup, still that 100 odd km should take you about 2 hours...Blr - Chitradurga is a 3 hour affair (may be less too)

Abhi
Old 19th October 2007, 07:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks but then I still have to do the Haveri-Chitradurga stretch. Is there a road fom Sirsi to Shimoga?
Do you have any other options? Shimoga route takes hell lot of time (you cannot speed in this 2 laned road)...NH4A and NH63 is in bad shape, hence you are left with the Haveri route..
This is best stretch and it takes very less time and it is scenic as well...

Suggest you to try out both the routes: You go via Haveri and return via Honnavar-Shimoga and judge it...

Abhi