Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 23rd December 2009, 10:39   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicsense View Post
Hello,

Has anyone recently traveled from Bangalore to Palani? How is the state of the roads from Thoppur to Mettur to Bhavani? What about the section from Bhavani to Perundurai to Dharapuram to Palani?

If they are not good, I will take NH7 all the way to Karur and then through Dharapuram to Palani. But this is at least 60km more.

Thanks,
Pravin
You can take other alternate route as follows

1) Continue in NH-7 till Aravakurichi, that is 25 KMs from Karur

2) Take a right turn in NH-7 to go to Palani

3) It goes via Pallapatti - Idayakottai - Ottanchathiram-Palani

4) It is around 65kms from NH-7 junction

5) Roads are in excellent condition from Aravakurichi till Palani.
funda2max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 15:40   #17
Team-BHP Support

Even the NH7/NH47 stretch is not that bad, but for the diversions (~40 Km) till Sankagiri. Because after this stretch you will literally zoom till Bhavani and Perindurai.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 22:07   #18
BHPian

@hvkumar, @praveenM: Thank you for your comments. I will take the Thoppur-Mettur-Bhavani route on the way to Palani. BTW, any remarks about the Hosur-Rayakottai-Palakkod-Dharmapuri (part of SH17) road condition? It shaves off 25km from Hosur to Dharmapuri, compared to NH7.

@funda2max, @ampere: Thank you as well. I might try out the NH7 option on the way back,especially if the state highways are in a pathetic state. Just that NH7 it is a lot longer (by around 90-100km in total per googlemaps).

I shall post my travel experience once I am back.
civicsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 22:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@hvkumar, @praveenM: Thank you for your comments. I will take the Thoppur-Mettur-Bhavani route on the way to Palani. BTW, any remarks about the Hosur-Rayakottai-Palakkod-Dharmapuri (part of SH17) road condition? It shaves off 25km from Hosur to Dharmapuri, compared to NH7.
When you have such a glorious drive on NH7, why should you want to take a narrow 2-lane curvy road? Lesser distance does not matter.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 22:27   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
When you have such a glorious drive on NH7, why should you want to take a narrow 2-lane curvy road? Lesser distance does not matter.
You are indeed right about the drive on NH7. Just that I wanted to try out a different route this time, especially through the village side. There is a charm to countryside driving too. Of course, it always has the risk of the roads being really bad and oftentimes non-existent, which is why I am looking for recent travelers through that route.
Old 23rd December 2009, 23:43   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are indeed right about the drive on NH7. Just that I wanted to try out a different route this time, especially through the village side. There is a charm to countryside driving too. Of course, it always has the risk of the roads being really bad and oftentimes non-existent, which is why I am looking for recent travelers through that route.
If that is your intention, the Hosur-Rayakottah-Palacode road is a delightful route to take - I used to drive that way always in those good old days of narrow and bad roads. I don't think that road is bad - Go for it!
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 08:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
If that is your intention, the Hosur-Rayakottah-Palacode road is a delightful route to take - I used to drive that way always in those good old days of narrow and bad roads. I don't think that road is bad - Go for it!
Yes, Hosur - Rayakottai-Palakodu is in good condition except some bad patches near hosur and near dharmapuri. You can avoid Krishnagiri toll but Thoppur will be a must.
Old 24th December 2009, 09:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. its still in good condition. Not like smooth drive, but really a worthy drive. I have taken this like 8 months before and was a breeze. And fyi, there is no petrol pump in this area. Make sure you top it up in Hosur. Else the next good one would be somewhere near thopur.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 09:51   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Yes. its still in good condition. Not like smooth drive, but really a worthy drive. I have taken this like 8 months before and was a breeze. And fyi, there is no petrol pump in this area. Make sure you top it up in Hosur. Else the next good one would be somewhere near thopur.
If i remember correctly, atleast 2 petrol pumps are there in between royakottah/palakode route...
smnrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 12:00   #25
BHPian

Great stuff. Thanks to all of you. I have decided to take the hosur-rayakottah-palacode-thoppur-mettur-bhavani-perundurai-dharapuram-palani route.

Depending on the condition of the roads and the scenary, or rather the lack of it, I may come back by NH7. Will post my experience. Thanks all!
Old 24th December 2009, 12:14   #26
BHPian

I did Bangalore - palani last month. Mettur - bhavani is not a good idea. dharmapuri - omalur - tharamangalam - erode - kangeyam - palani is the best bet.
sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 12:20   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
There is one at Rayakottai bye-pass and one at Palakodu. But, they are not owned and operated by oil companies.
Old 26th December 2009, 22:20   #28
BHPian

I did the Bangalore-Palani-Bangalore trip over yesterday and today. It was an early start yesterday (5:45AM) and I (being my lazy self) decided to stick to NH7. So we did Blr-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-Namakkal-Karur and then took SH21 from Karur to Dharapuram and then to Palani on SH153. As expected the road was awesome, all the way. To my pleasant surprise, both the state highways were of very high quality, though they were 2-lane. Total distance was 389km, covered in about 5.75hrs of leisurely driving. For the first time in my life, I missed cruise control, which is saying a lot for the improvements in road infrastructure in these parts of India

During the return this morning, we started late - around 10:45. For a change, I took the route through Palani-Dharapuram-Kangeyam-Perundurai-Bhavani-Mettur-Mecheri-Thoppur. I rejoined NH7 at Thoppur and continued all the way on it. Total distance was 360km, covered in slightly over 6 hours.

On the return leg, Palani to Bhavani was again excellently maintained 2-lane roads. Bhavani-Mettur was pretty bad. The top layer of the road at most parts were badly damaged. However, the scenery on view compensated very well for the roads. Mettur till Thoppur was much better.

Overall, an excellent experience on the road, in spite of back-to-back days of driving a total of 750km. I am already perked up for my next long-drive!
Old 27th December 2009, 17:46   #29
BHPian

Hey civicsense
Thanks for the update on the route. I will be travelling on some portions of the route in next few days. I think it will be very useful. Of the below 2routes which you would recommend, more distance doesnot matter to me but i want to travel fast & consume less time.
a. Mettur>Bhavani>Tiruchengode>Namakkal>trichy
b. Mettur>Mecheri>Omalur>Salem>Namakkal>trichy

Last edited by sree70 : 27th December 2009 at 17:51. Reason: incomplete
sree70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 18:12   #30
BHPian

Anyday, mettur to Bhavani should be avoided.

Mettur-Salem-Namakkal-Musiry-Trichy is fine road. There will be congested traffic in Namakkal town, but should not be a issue till you touch trichy road clearly marked with road signs,...
Dhanasekaran is offline   Reply With Quote