Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 22nd September 2007, 10:59   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Dhanaulti : A few km before you hit Mussoorie, take a right. Dhanaulti is another 25km or so from here. Its a peaceful laid back town as compared to busy Mussoorie! It is also lil above Mussoorie at an elevation of 7543 feet. It will take around 8-9 hrs from Delhi to reach Dhanaulti via Meerut-Roorkee-Mussoorie

Laal Tibba : this is mussoorie's highest peak, located in Landour (old mussoorie)
Thanks Bunny,

Are the roads good and motorable in winters, If it snows? Are the Roads too narrow?
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 11:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
Thanks Bunny,

Are the roads good and motorable in winters, If it snows? Are the Roads too narrow?
Dhanolti is around 30kms from Musoorie and the roads can get closed down due to snow. I was at the GMVN resort at Dhanolti and they told me that they have 4-5 feet high snow in that area and the road (this is the road to Chamba-Tehri) gets closed down from time to time, depending on the intensity of the snow fall. But that happens mostly in January. Keep in mind that if you want to stay in Dhanolti, you may face power cuts (what will you do for hot water!!!) when the lines go down.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 11:08   #18
BHPian

The road to Dhanaulti from Mussoorie is not that wide but is always motorable in Dec. It generally doesnt snow that much in Dec, so that wont be an issue.
Yeah, power cuts are a big problem there. I too stayed at the Gharwal tourism property,and after 10pm, all u have are candles for company

Last edited by BunnyPunia : 22nd September 2007 at 11:10.
BunnyPunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 11:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Bunny,

The road is also quite narrow. Ideally, you should take the road from Musoorie towards Dehra Dun, turn left into the Musoorie bypass (road to Tehri, some 3 kms down the road). Even if there is no snow on the ground, in the early morning teh roads can have ice that can be slippery.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 11:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

OT: So you were able to convince your present employer or find a new job in gurgaon, good going

You can change your status from "Wanting to move to NCR" to "Now Moving in Nov"

Quote:
I am relocating to Gurgaon in Nov and will plan a trip to mussoorie in dec or Jan.
Thanks
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 20:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Biju, while everyone has got carried away proposing destinations where you might enjoy snow/snowfall, it needs to be clear whether you are planning to drive there yourself and in what vehicle. Budget is also important. You have made no mention of that yet. There are places that cost the earth and places that ordinary folk like I (& family) go and stay.
I gather you are planning to drive.
Now, let me tell you a very basic truth about winter trips to the mountains.
Yes we all love to see a snowfall. The fact is that the moment a snowfall begins, you better get into your car and get the hell out of there! Because there is no knowing how much snow will fall and whether roads will be open after the snowfall. You could get trapped for a couple of days, and that can have it's own set of consequential problems. If time is not an issue, stay on and enjoy.
If time is limited, all you should be aiming for is to see snow that has already fallen and is still there. To see a SNOWFALL you need to keep time as flexible and be prepared for some hardship which might or might not follow, for the next day or two.
Please plan accordingly so that you enjoy and do not wind up regretting the trip. Winter trips to the mountains are necessarily unpredictable and can turn hazardous.
Once, closer to the dates, you have finalized your travel plans, there are many here who can give you specific tips and advice.
And do carry brandy! Good for ALL!!
BTW, I am acute mountain lover. I drive everywhere there is a road and/or wherever there is a jeep track.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 22:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
OT: So you were able to convince your present employer or find a new job in gurgaon, good going

You can change your status from "Wanting to move to NCR" to "Now Moving in Nov"
Well Thanks for reminding, I changed it now.
and Yes I have both options right now, Can go on transfer but have another option to switch to Ericsson or Ciena. But I will likely stick to Lucent as I just got promotion and got green signal for transfer to Gurgaon office.

cheers.
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 17:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Bunny,

Roads till Mussorie are good and very much motorable. In case you go to Dhanaulti via Mall road, there is a stretch of 4 km, very narrow and very bad with steep incline at few places. From thereon, roads are very good till dhanaulti and Surkanda Devi mandir

To avoid this there is a bypass to dhanaulti, for which you do not have to go to Mussorie city.

some of the pics : Photo Albums/Mussoorie
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 23:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Biju, while everyone has got carried away proposing destinations where you might enjoy snow/snowfall, it needs to be clear whether you are planning to drive there yourself and in what vehicle.
Thanks Anup for your suggestions. To clarify some things:
  • We do not intent to drive to any of the places on our own. We would be hiring vehicles once we reach there. So you can suggest, what vehicle would be the best bet.
  • Being able to be in the midst of a snowfall would be a bonus for us. We just want to be at a place that has already fallen snow. I do not think we will be able to afford to be "snowed in" at any place. I know that even our families (mine and my friend's) may not really want that - but they are looking forward to seeing a place full of snow, for the first time ever. I have been in severe snow storms in the US and it was not a very pleasant experience, then.
  • We are also going to look for places that are decent and economical.
We will make an itinerary with all the inputs received so far and post it here. Then all you wonderful people can give us some really concrete suggestions to modify/manage our travel plan.

Biju
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 23:22   #25
Team-BHP Support

Hi pjbiju, Sorry for the late reply, just saw your thread
I have done quite a bit of snow seeing in himachal so a few points from my side(other may have pointed it out too)
1. It rarely snows in December end. Well if you are lucky.... A sure shot way to see snow at that time is to head beyond the common places. You can go off to Narkanda. Khaadu's home is around there. He knows alternative routes also in case you get snowed in. Actually it all depends on luck, sometimes you can get snowed in even in Shimla, such is life
2. Stick to HP govt all the time. So right from your booking to your deluxe bus, book in Pune itself. HP tourism has an office there. Book the Hotel Hatu in narkanda. Its 1200 or so/night and has very clean nice rooms, along with friendly staff and delicious food
3. Taxi's will be expensive. Normal charge for a qualis type thing is 6-7rs/km + 100rs a day overnight charge. So I presume if you do 1000kms its like 6000rs or so? A good way to save that money would be to take the deluxe bus to shimla and then take cab
HPTDC, Home Page
Don't book online, use this website to see your hotels and get phone number of offices in your city, Then go there and make advance payment and book.
HP tourism have hotels all over himachal and they are the best. Book in advance and you will get reservation.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 00:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Hi pjbiju, Sorry for the late reply, just saw your thread
I have done quite a bit of snow seeing in himachal so a few points from my side(other may have pointed it out too).....
HPTDC, Home Page
HP tourism have hotels all over himachal and they are the best. Book in advance and you will get reservation.
Thanks buddy. This is good information and I am sure it will help us a lot.
Old 27th September 2007, 10:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

OK Biju, here we go:

1) It almost goes without saying that the best vehicle would be a 4WD. To get to difficult areas and with a margin of safety. There is possibility of finding such a Taxi, though there aren't many. The problem is that even if the vehicle is 4WD, the driver will not engage 4WD unless he's stuck somewhere! Such are the perceptions and notions that prevail. The concept of using 4WD for safety or additional traction is yet to catch on here!

2) Tourism Department hotels would be the best to be with - they are always up to certain minimum standards and are invariably located on the best plots. Gardens, parking et all. They always serve decent food.

3) Perhaps Manali would be the best bet for you since going on the Rohtang Pass road is all that will be required to get upto a point where there is ample snow. ie. snow is almost guaranteed. (No way that one can reach Rohtang Pass in end December; which means a max of 51 kms for you to get to a snow-point). At Manali, Hotel Beas, or The Rohtang Manalsu. For festive cheer you'd probably have to go to Vashisht or old Manali town (dens for foreigner backpacker crowd).

Shimla and suburbs do not guarantee snow end-December. However there are more places to visit (Chail, Narkanda, Kufri, Fagu, Mashobra, Craignano, Institute of Advanced Studies) and there is more 'festive cheer' at Shimla (more than at Manali). If you venture as far as Narkanda, snow would be a near-guarantee a little farther en route to or at Hatu Peak, 4 or 5 kms beyond Narkanda. There is a motarable road as well as pony services to Hatu Peak. At Shimla, Holiday Home would be nice. Use local taxis to get to the lift to reach the Mall. Hotel Combermere, if your budget is generous.
At Narkanda, Hotel Hatu is good.

Mussoorie (including Dhanaulti) is the least likely to deliver a guaranteed snow experience end-Dec. Festive cheer factor would be average.
Hotel Garhwal Terrace would be good, right on the Mall, Mussoorie. At Dhanaulti also there is a GMVN hotel.
Old 27th September 2007, 12:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Default what about Auli?

A friend of mine was suggesting that we go to Auli. I did look up on the internet and found that Auli is a skiing resort. I am not sure if we would be able to do anything else at Auli, other than take some skiing lessons. Has anyone been to this place? Are there other places close to Auli for sightseeing? Spending all the 8 days we have at Auli, does not seem like a great idea.
Old 27th September 2007, 13:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Indeed it would not be a good idea, unless the family is heavily fascinated with skiing. Nothing at all there in the winter months other than skiing. And U.P. is quite 'backward' from the tourism point of view. Might be better to stay with Himachal.
To make an 8 day trip more varied, you could consider doing Shimla & Manali. The road trip itself could be very rewarding - there are three different routes to choose from: 1) Via Jalori Pass. That would probably not be feasible in December.
2) Via Chindi and Rohanda. Very scenic and green route, but I'm not sure this would be possible in Dec. In fact at Chindi there is a lovely HPTDC hotel, worth spending a night at.
3) Regular route taken by taxis and buses. This is the most viable in Dec and is also a beautiful route.
I've listed them in MY order of preference. I love the Jalori route.

However, please bear in mind that winter months in the mountains are not the most scenic. No green, no flowers (neither wild nor cultivated), fairly stark and almost 'depressing' views all around. And if it snows, it's lovely while the snow lasts. Once the melting starts you have mud, slush and 'keechad' all over the roads. Having said that, we ALWAYS do make our winter trips, though our favourite trips are the mid-monsoon ones.
Old 27th September 2007, 13:58   #30
BHPian

Anupmathur : are you really an Indian?
Auli comes in Uttaranchal (now uttrakhand) and not U.P. And i never knew UP is backward from tourism point of view. Agra , Varanasi, Mathura .. all these are backward from tourism point of view?

PJBIJU: Auli does get slow in December. It is 490km from Delhi, and 26km from Joshimath. There is a rope connecting auli from joshimath, which is the longest in India. u may see Auli Travel, Auli Tours, Auli Skiing, Skiing at Auli, Auli Travel Guide , Skiing in India,India Skiing Tours,Skiing Adventure in India,Skiing Tours India,Adventure Skiing in India,SkiingHoliday Camps,summer camps india,Summer camps Chamba,Holiday Camps Auli,Holiday Camps Chamba,Holiday Camps Shivpuri,himalaya camps,himalay , http://ua.nic.in/uttaranchaltourism/ for more
BunnyPunia is offline   Reply With Quote