Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 27th September 2007, 14:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Anupmathur : are you really an Indian?
Auli comes in Uttaranchal (now uttrakhand) and not U.P. And i never knew UP is backward from tourism point of view. Agra , Varanasi, Mathura .. all these are backward from tourism point of view?

PJBIJU: Auli does get slow in December. It is 490km from Delhi, and 26km from Joshimath. There is a rope connecting auli from joshimath, which is the longest in India. u may see Auli Travel, Auli Tours, Auli Skiing, Skiing at Auli, Auli Travel Guide , Skiing in India,India Skiing Tours,Skiing Adventure in India,Skiing Tours India,Adventure Skiing in India,SkiingHoliday Camps,summer camps india,Summer camps Chamba,Holiday Camps Auli,Holiday Camps Chamba,Holiday Camps Shivpuri,himalaya camps,himalay , http://ua.nic.in/uttaranchaltourism/ for more
Thanks for the knowledge! Yes I'm very Indian, and very Hindu, thank you.
My opinion will be understood by travellers for who it was intended, not politicians!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 15:00   #32
BHPian

ha!
Oh so, your answer was for travellers? And that answers will be in the form of wrong state names. Good. Very helpful!
BunnyPunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 12:05   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Thanks for the knowledge! Yes I'm very Indian, and very Hindu, thank you.
My opinion will be understood by travellers for who it was intended, not politicians!
Hey Anup, IMHO you are missing the point! Traveling does not mean going only to the mountains, other places like forts, temples, monuments can be exciting too, in which UP scores well. Even if we consider just the hills, even Uttarakhand has some real amazing places like Munsiyari, Mount Abbott, Mukhteshwar, the list goes on. The only issue I feel while traveling through UP and Uttarakhand is that the roads could be a tad better. The roads of HP are awesome and many a times IO wish for UP and UTT to have similar ones!
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 12:13   #34
BHPian

Hey pjbiju, I would recommend Dharamsala for this upcoming "snowy" trip of yours. I am pretty cure you'll find ample amount of snow in McLeodganj. You can also take a hike to Triun which is like 12 Km away. It is from Triun that the snow line for the mighty Dhauladhars start and you can have an amazing view of snow covered peaks up close from there. The only thing is that Dharamsala can get crowded during that time, so better to book hotel in advance!
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 12:37   #35
BHPian

Lord : Mcleodganj gets little snow in Dec. Triund (not triun) however will have ample snow in Dec, but one needs to trek for it. Also, One can reach Manali in the same time as Mcleodganj and the good thing abt manali is that just 2 hrs away, u can ski n play in Snow
BunnyPunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 12:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

lord, I am not missing the point. Perhaps if you had read the thread through you would have got the idea this thread is about snow. Have'nt seen any on the plains in this country yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
BTW, I am acute mountain lover. I drive everywhere there is a road and/or wherever there is a jeep track.
As for the hill areas of UP, I've travelled those too, though not too much in Garhwal. Kumaon has been covered in entirety.
BTW I find the roads to be quite good in Uttaranchal lately. They are certainly working hard on their roads.
And it is not as though Himachal has wonderful roads. Barring Shimla, Manali, Dharamsala, Dalhousie and a few 'big' places roads are conspicuous by their absence.
I'm not quite sure that Dharamsala (McLeod Ganj) would be good enough for an 8 days trip at Christmas-New Year time, hence did not focus much on that. Also the concern for snow. And there are families going. It's a valid option though. I personally love the place, and Dal lake and up to Talnu.

Last edited by anupmathur : 28th September 2007 at 12:56.
Old 28th September 2007, 13:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

@ anup mathur - You sure you know about UP being Backward to tourists ?

I completely agree with BunnyPunia !!

I am here in Agra for the last 15 years - You call Agra / Varanasi / Mathura Backward ???

We here in Agra have all major 5 and 7 * hotels here - Good connectivity - You think we do not get foreigners ? We get more foreigners here in Agra than you do all over India !!

Taj Mahal , Forts , Mathura Temples, Varanasi Temples etc are backward Places or what ??

Coming to roads - Agra perhaps has some of the best roads - Have you ever been on Delhi - Agra Highway - NH2 ?? Have you ever travelled the Shatabdi Delhi- Agra train - less than 2 hrs travel time !!

And coming to upcoming Greater Noida - Agra Expressway - it is going to be even better than Mumbai - Pune expressway ( which is currently the fav road amongst motorists )

Please check your facts before posting such replies - Do not give wrong impressions of a city / state to people.

Cheers !! If you ever come to Agra, do give the place a second glance and you will see if it is backward or not ? Used to be decades ago - not now !!
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 13:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen this thread is not about politics. And we are not foreigners who are making a travel plan and we are NOT the 5* and 7* category.
Further,
India Today does an annual exercise in grading all the states of the country on various parameters. Do read.

Last edited by anupmathur : 28th September 2007 at 13:19.
Old 28th September 2007, 22:06   #39
Team-BHP Support

Clash of opinions?
Well lot of people think tourism is great in those areas with 5* and 7*. Many people would think tourism is not good.
I belong to the latter category. No matter what you tell me, I have been to Agra a few times and people have always tried to extort money from me.
I have been to himachal many times and the experience has been more pleasant.

I am not used to some kind of living where everybody is trying to pick my pocket, and I would classify such a tourist spot as lousy, irrespective of the number of Taj Mahals or forts.

That said, I firmly believe himachal is a safer bet if you are travelling with family.
For few guys on bikes, things are different, but when you are travelling with wife and/or kid, things get very different. I would happily do night driving in the bylanes of himachal, but I would be very scared to do so in UP.
In uttaranchal things are significantly better, but as far as tourism infrastructure is concerned, its pretty bad(if you exclude the extremely popular spots).

That said, my definition of a "good tourist place" is one where I can stay comfortably without having to adjust my lifestyle for whole one year to compensate for the money spent, and at the same time feel comfortable enough without any worries of somebody looting me on the highway, or somebody picking up my pocke.

So I wholeheartedly agree with anup here.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 23:09   #40
Senior - BHPian

@tsk1979 - I wholeheartedly respect your comments as well as Anup's.

Tell me one such place in India where people do not try to exort money out of you when you visit as a Tourist ?

When talking about UP - I am not speaking of towns like Moradabad, Allahabad, Ferozabad, Bulandshahar etc. I am talking about the Mainstream Tourist Destinations - Agra, Varanasi & Mathura.

These places are quite brilliant as of today, well laid out, modern and improving drastically day by day. Safety, Modernisation, Planned - these cities are becoming.

I was never a fan of Agra City ( have always been a true Delhiite and will always be in the future ), However living here I have seen loads of changes here - mostly for the good. Malls, Hotels, Restaurants, Picnic spots etc etc.

As far as Himachal goes - Its good no doubt but still very very Un Modern - It has the old world charm, you would say now - I was recently travelling to manali in My Accent - I had a flat ( tubeless tyre ) - it took me a full 4 hrs to get it fixed as no one knew how to fix a tubeless tyre flat !! And I was charged exorbitantly for this. These sort of incidents happen everywhere - But it does not mean the place is Bad. I have always liked HP. Ever tried buying a can of Red Bull or a Bottle of Smirnoff in Manali ? Well, try doing it next time you arethere & you will know what I mean

Well - I have said enough - It is for all you to judge a certain place. I am sure your perspective of UP should change if / whenever you next visit.

PS - I am not connected to Politics BTW. Just a plain guy doing business - so do not think I am promoting UP tourism !!

Cheers Guys !!!
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2007, 09:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
... so do not think I am promoting UP tourism !!
You really do not have to worry on that account.
As genuine travellers, we also 'promote' many destinations from the UP hills. It's all a matter of time and circumstances and the 'brief' that a person has put up regarding what he has in mind.
Old 29th September 2007, 09:55   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

These places are quite brilliant as of today, well laid out, modern and improving drastically day by day. Safety, Modernisation, Planned - these cities are becoming.
I was never a fan of Agra City ( have always been a true Delhiite and will always be in the future ), However living here I have seen loads of changes here - mostly for the good. Malls, Hotels, Restaurants, Picnic spots etc etc.
Spot on vkochar.
Not that I also belong to AGRA, but I have seen more places and can do a comparison.
People mostly talk about insecurity in UP. Can't comment on some places like Etah, Bulandshar, Aligarh or merrut. But Agra is far more safer despite having all kind of demographies existing there.
Never ever felt insecure while driving in Agra or Noida to Agra even at 2.00am in night.

Have never seen any pick pocketing/Robbery in Agra in my 10 yrs of stay there.
In Bangalore 2.5 yrs stay, I have seen/heard( 4 times) chain snatching and mobile robbery( including mine) of some of my near ones in my layout which is supposed to be very safe. Even my shoes ( 2 pairs) got robbed from my home in Bangalore. what else I can say.

Talking about taking extra money from tourists etc hmmm.. I think its the tourist who are better judge, When I visited Shmila- Kufri for the first time, I paid Rs 100 just for renting out the snow boots from a place which our driver took us to, later found that rent was just Rs 20(from locals). There are many more incidents like this.

Have many bad stories from Chandigarh & Bangalore ( where landlords/houseowners trying to make extra bucks and try to cheat tenants)

These things which I have mentioned above can happen anywhere and does not depend on the place/state/community.

Just my 2 cents.
Cheers
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 19:51   #43
BHPian

Default trying to go to find some snow!!

hi guys...

i am leaving on the first of may... from the hot and nawabi hyd to the cool himachal. i hope to find some snow and may be snowfall. also planning to go to kashmir if time allows...

tentative itinerary is as follows. (1st may departure.. 2 week trip
driving a scorpio.. 3 couples)

hyd-nagpur-jabalpur-gwalior-agra-delhi-dehradun-narkanda-simla-manali-(mountains depending on road conditions)-mandi-dharamsala-srinagar-pahalgam-sonmarg and back. i need to stop at jabalpur thats why the route...

already spoke to HVK saab and snow king.. very useful tips... also thought
thoda aur gyan mila toh kya bura hai...

please fill in with your tips/suggestions/arguments/do's/don'ts/comments.. etc etc..

thank you all.
unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 21:47   #44
Senior - BHPian

All the best for your trip
however,dont want to be spoilsport,but you wont find any snow at this time of the year,unless you plan to hit spiti\ladakh region.
however you would find decent amount of ice in rohtang to keep you happy
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 07:32   #45
BHPian

i was lured in by the recent news items that fresh snowfall has blocked rohtang again.... also temperatures have dropped below zero in many places in northern himachal... i have also preponed my trip from 8th to 1st.

pray for me brother... i have 5 others with me who want the same thing...!!
unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote