Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 8th November 2013, 13:18   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Trip to North India - for snow. Need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarams View Post
thanks all for the comments and also for the searching done on my behalf.
From what i see, it is a toss between Simla and Manali, depending on the days/energy i have. So, back to the drawing board now to get more days for this break.
Few things i checked:
- There are AI flights to Bhuntar/Kullu, but the connectivity from Pune/Mumbai is not so good and the total cost is also pretty high.
- I am checking on volvo/taxi connectivity from Delhi/Chandigarh for both Simla/Manali.

Few further questions:
- Are there any offbeat locations a little distance away from the mainstream places e.g. Simla/Manali i.e. off beat enough to have less crowds/more nature, but close enough for easy accessibility?
- Any recommendations on mid-range family hotels in Simla/Manali?

thx again.
In that case you can try Narkanda as well,though as a town it hardly offers anything,but you will find snow for sure,and its about 65Kms from Shimla a 90-120 mins drive.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 13:08   #62
BHPian

Default Suggestions for a roadtrip during Christmas Holidays hunting for snow from Delhi

Hello All,

We (a couple with a 4 year old boy) are trying to plan a 5-day road trip somewhere near Delhi, possibly snow hunting. We are thinking about Dalhousie or Dharmsala but I am not sure about what kind of road conditions would be during that time and the likelihood of finding snow. Also, guess both Dharamsala and Dalhousie would be more than a 12 hour drive each way. We don't really want to leave anything to chance with the kid around. And we wont really have a big SUV and will have a laura TSI for company.

We are not that keen on Rajasthan as we have been to most places (Jaipur, Ajmer, Udaipur, etc) many times except Jodhpur. They all kind of feel the same as we are not much of sightseers.

Suggestions please!

Animesh
animeshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 13:08   #63
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Suggestions for a roadtrip during Christmas Holidays hunting for snow from Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeshb View Post
We (a couple with a 4 year old boy) are trying to plan a 5-day road trip somewhere near Delhi, possibly snow hunting. ... And we wont really have a big SUV and will have a laura TSI for company.

Suggestions please!
Lot will depend on the timings. In Dec you may get to see snow in areas ahead of Shimla - Narkanda, Hatu Peak, Fagu etc. AFAIK, Shimla gets some snowfall in the month of Jan.

About the vehicle, don't doubt it. See where it took .anshuman - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ravelogue.html (Ladakh in my Laura- Travelogue) .
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 13:13   #64
BHPian

Default Re: Suggestions for a roadtrip during Christmas Holidays hunting for snow from Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Lot will depend on the timings. In Dec you may get to see snow in areas ahead of Shimla - Narkanda, Hatu Peak, Fagu etc. AFAIK, Shimla gets some snowfall in the month of Jan.
Dry Ice, Am planning for the timeperiod between 25th-30th. I have done Shimla quite a few times in the last decade and want to visit Dharamshala/Dalhousie/Manali where I haven't been to recently.
animeshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 16:43   #65
BHPian

Am planning for a Srinagar trip in the first week of February 2014 for 5 days. I understand that it would be winter season. Would need pointers on where all I should visit. I assume that the gardens and such would be closed , so need help chalking out alternative plans.
kutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 22:58   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
Am planning for a Srinagar trip in the first week of February 2014 for 5 days. I understand that it would be winter season. Would need pointers on where all I should visit. I assume that the gardens and such would be closed , so need help chalking out alternative plans.
Not much except the walks at Pahalgam, Gulmarg. Per se hardly anything to see at Srinagar.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote