Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 6th December 2007, 13:42   #31
BHPian

Smile

Masinagudi is better any day. Dont even bother thinking of Gudalur.
eclectix 1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 13:43   #32
BHPian

Hi,

On the way to Ooty from Mysore, you will find the road full of holes for about 15-20 kms, after you reach the Bandipur forest area the road is really good then on, but from Madumalai you will find 2 roads, one is a shorter one arround 37 kms other one is 65 km, but the road condition is not that good for the shorter one and will go through deep forest, but if you want to enjoy the wild life on the way and start early morning from Mysore, the shorter road is a nice treat... thats what I experienced last month.. you should start about 4am to avoid trafic on the way..
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 22:33   #33
BHPian

slightly out of topic.. could someone suggest some good hotels there in 1500-2000 range? prefer a modern looking leisure hotel/resort..
tachobells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 23:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

What asdon meant was the road till Gundulpet is good. The next 10 -15 kms from Gundulpet towards Bandipur is in a bad state. There's a lot of tree felling and the road is being widened. Once you hit Bandipur the road gets really better and its good till Mudumalai Sanctuary.

Gudalur and then on to Ooty/Pykara is still bad. Don't try it.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 01:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Guys,

Any updates on the road condition between Mysore and Ooty? Should I take Masinagudi or Gudalur? I need to get to the Ratan Tata guesthouse at Peytons Road.

Thanks,
I haven't been there recently, but my friend who'd gone there a couple of weeks ago told me that the roads are in terrible condition.

Taking Masinagudi or Gudalur is a simple choice. Between 6 PM and 6 AM (I guess so), you have to take Gudalur. Gudalur route is generally taken by trucks and buses that can't climb the inclination of 36 hair pin turns.

So, if you have a decent enough car, you can go through Masinagudi.

If you don't know how to take the Masinagudi road, it is pretty simple to identify. In between the Madhumalai forest drive, you will find a bridge on your left (it looks almost straight opposite) and there is a road going right. Take the bridge and you go to Masinagudi and if you take a right, you go through Gudalur.

For resorts, there are plenty after Masinagudi. They are all pretty decent and within 2k (except for the ones like Howard Johnson). You will have to take a right after Masinagudi when you see the resort boards.

If you're looking for accommodation in Ooty, then IMO it would be slightly difficult during this Christmas/NY season.

The real issue would be getting there (at least till the diversion). The roads are horrible after Gundlupet. I mean really horrible. It has been raining (drizzling most of the time) these days. So, be extra cautious.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 7th December 2007 at 01:13.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 10:35   #36
BHPian

Road in and around Gudalur is in pathetic condition. I've been taking this stretch for last couple of years (for lack of an alternate route) to hit the Nadugani ghat section (towards Nilambur). I've not seen this road in any better condition any time.

So, Mudumalai-Masinagudi is the way to go, though some stretch on this route (just after Mudumalai ) is also lil' bad.

Regards
Rex
rex_varghese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 12:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

Guys, many thanks for the prompt response to my query.

Another question is my car has Bangalore North plates (KA-04). At which checkposts will this be an issue and why? If an issue, what is the way out?

I have never driven interstate in South India which is why I ask!

Thanks,

Last edited by itwasntme : 7th December 2007 at 12:17. Reason: Grammar
itwasntme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 12:44   #38
BHPian

Hey Guys, I have been till Madumalai now but planning to to Ooty, is Alto Lxi is a good option to climb those 36 hair pin bends? And if some one can tell are those really scary? I have been to Coorg/Madekeri/Thal Kaveri are these(36 hair pins) more curvier?

Thanks.
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 12:50   #39
BHPian

I had taken this route few times. My vehicle is also KA registration. But till now i didn't face any issues at check post. Sometime at Madhumalai check post they will ask for 10 - 20 rupees. Thats it.
I think driving out Private vehicle any where in India don't have any issues unless you are not staying some place for long time.
kavu75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 13:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Asdon,

See AKRoy's post (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ost581320[ (Need info on Mysore-Ooty road condition)
on Page 1 of this thread. He made it comfortably in a packed Alto!

Kavu75,

Thanks for the info.

quote=asdon;649831]Hey Guys, I have been till Madumalai now but planning to to Ooty, is Alto Lxi is a good option to climb those 36 hair pin bends? And if some one can tell are those really scary? I have been to Coorg/Madekeri/Thal Kaveri are these(36 hair pins) more curvier?

Thanks.[/quote]
Old 7th December 2007, 16:09   #41
BHPian

itwasntme,
Yeah, you can do with Alto Lxi. I had done this stretch with M800, 3 people and some luggage. It's bit more curvier than Coorg/Madekeri/Thal Kaveri, but not very scary. Please look into the thread "How to climb/down Hill".
kavu75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 16:25   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, many thanks for the prompt response to my query.

Another question is my car has Bangalore North plates (KA-04). At which checkposts will this be an issue and why? If an issue, what is the way out?

I have never driven interstate in South India which is why I ask!

Thanks,
Mine is a KA-09 and I've driven all through TN and Kerala, many times. Nobody ever stopped me for the reason of driving an out of state vehicle.

Regards
Rex
rex_varghese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 19:09   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Asdon,

See AKRoy's post (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ost581320[ (Need info on Mysore-Ooty road condition)
on Page 1 of this thread. He made it comfortably in a packed Alto!
Go through this as well for a better picture
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ty-mysore.html (Weekend Travelogue: Ooty-Mysore)

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 19:59   #44
BHPian

Took my brand new car to ooty. Hadn't received the RC or Insurance document. Just had the tax paid receipt. But took the chance anyway. No one stopped me; I guess I was lucky and did have some rightly placed people for backup. But normally no one should stop you.

Two things must to see. Pykara Hydel plants. There is a hydel power generation unit 5 floors high, 1/2 km into the mountain. Has some of the
best technology available in the world. Awesome 150MW power plant. Worth seeing if you can catch hold of a person in TNEB. I mean, these are serious advanced equipment that demonstrate our indigenous capability.

Second, try to stay at glen morgan or pykara. Especially glenmorgan eb guest house is very very good (again EB contacts needed). And if you stay at the masinagudi EB guest house, you can go for "spotting wildlife drives" post midnight (with EB staffers alongside).
anandrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 01:20   #45
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
Many many thanks for the very helpful answers.

One (very basic :-)) question I had was that which is the best way to get to Mysore?

I stay near Bangalore Cantonment station so should I take the 'old' Mysore road or try the NICE road? I have read some horror stories of the diversions or ramps off/on the NICE so should I take it as opposed to the 'known' Mysore road? I will be leaving at 0700 on a Saturday morning.

Thanks,